• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
It's time for... random and off topic Nate thought of the day.

Watching a let's play is a totally valid way to enjoy a game, especially seeing as we live in an age where many games are more story-driven or cinematic experiences. I guess some folks would argue otherwise since you aren't playing the game yourself, and therefore aren't getting the "full experience", but I mean, if you enjoy watching a let's play more, then any enjoyment you would've gotten from playing the game isn't being stripped away from you. Plus, some people simply can't play a game, or would prefer not to. Like, I watched a let's play of Persona 5 since I didn't own a PS3 or PS4, and I'm watching a let's play of the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC since the gameplay didn't click with me. I was more interested in the story and characters. So, no, I don't think not playing the game doesn't make you a "true fan." There's not really such a thing as true fans and fake fans in my opinion.

I don't know why this randomly popped in my head, but I wanted to get it out of my system, so there you go. :drshrug:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Thinking about it, there's no way Dragon Ball would get away with introducing Trunks if it were released today. Think about it:
  • Introduced in the most powerful form to date
  • Just murders the previous antagonist and his entire army, including the father of the antagonist
  • Wasn't even named, was simply just at the scene of arrival
  • Was from the future, also the future child of two characters that barely interacted, one of which was a previous antagonist and the other being a mainstay since day 1 who was also in another relationship with a classic character
  • Has a sword
Literal fanfiction character who would've gotten torn to shreds

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794

Watching a let's play is a totally valid way to enjoy a game, especially seeing as we live in an age where many games are more story-driven or cinematic experiences. I guess some folks would argue otherwise since you aren't playing the game yourself, and therefore aren't getting the "full experience", but I mean, if you enjoy watching a let's play more, then any enjoyment you would've gotten from playing the game isn't being stripped away from you. Plus, some people simply can't play a game, or would prefer not to. Like, I watched a let's play of Persona 5 since I didn't own a PS3 or PS4, and I'm watching a let's play of the Xenoblade Chronicles 2 DLC since the gameplay didn't click with me. I was more interested in the story and characters. So, no, I don't think not playing the game doesn't make you a "true fan." There's not really such a thing as true fans and fake fans in my opinion.

I don't know why this randomly popped in my head, but I wanted to get it out of my system, so there you go. :drshrug:
Sometimes a let's play is the only way closest people can get the getting the intended expeirence of a game.

For instance, I think like Mario Party looks like a lot of fun, but I can't get the full intended experience from it because I don't have friends!

Pain.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

I was a poor kid who couldn’t afford most consoles. Let’s Plays we’re how I enjoyed many games I didn’t get to play for myself until very recently.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Thinking about it, there's no way Dragon Ball would get away with introducing Trunks if it were released today. Think about it:
  • Just murders the previous antagonist and his entire army, including the father of the antagonist
  • Was from the future, also the future child of two characters that barely interacted, one of which was a previous antagonist and the other being a mainstay since day 1 who was also in another relationship with a classic character
  • Has a sword
Well fanfic writers have to get their cliches from somewhere.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Sometimes a let's play is the only way closest people can get the getting the intended expeirence of a game.

For instance, I think like Mario Party looks like a lot of fun, but I can't get the full intended experience from it because I don't have friends!

Pain.
1635697047802.png

Oh I feel ya. My lack of friends to play with is the only thing keeping me from buying Mario Party, haha.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
  • Has a sword
To be fair, when you really break it down, you realize DBZ's writing is kinda dog****

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
To be fair, when you really break it down, you realize DBZ's writing is kinda dog****
Tbh, as much as I like DB, the Androids/Cell Saga and especially the Buu Saga had such garbage writing.

The Cell Saga was still pretty good despite that, but the Buu Saga was just confusing to follow.

Jondolio

Smash Hero
Tbh, as much as I like DB, the Androids/Cell Saga and especially the Buu Saga had such garbage writing.

The Cell Saga was still pretty good despite that, but the Buu Saga was just confusing to follow.
I haven't actually experienced DBZ proper and in the case of the Buu saga I have never experienced it at all, but I read enough about it to know that it's pretty shallow and doesn't have most of what I liked about OG Dragon Ball

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

While I agree with this, I think a problem with follwing let's play is that once you play the game for yourelf, you kinda "lose" some of the magic/expectations you have on a first blind run, which for some games can really affect the experience.

That isn't even going to the topic of trying to debate the gameplay of a game you didn't actually play, those can get ugly quite quick if the wrong thoughts are shared. (though it depend which game we're talking, a visual novel for exemple is less likely to have peoples debate over it's gameplay)

Of course, it's up to everyone to know if they like to wait til the game on their hands or experience it in whatever way possible. And like you said, sometime, it's impossible to get a game for X or Y reasons. So videos or Wiki are the next best things. (I know for exemple I watched a TON of videos/wiki on games franchise I love, and yet, finally playing some of those games for myself was still more or less quite magical)

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer

I've similarly got my quips with the Buu saga, but it's really where Vegeta's arc reaches completion. He's a good enough anti-hero character up til then but truly finds redemption in the Buu Saga.
Plus Mr. Satan is a great character in the Buu Saga - up thru Cell saga he just sucks.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master

IMO the Cell saga more than redeemed itself at the end thanks to Gohan reaching the climax of his character arc that's been built up since the beginning of Z. It's why I really enjoyed it despite some hiccups in the arc, and in a good day I would even say it's my favorite saga in Dragon Ball.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
The Buu Saga is at it's best when it doesn't try to follow the "DBZ Formula" that Toriyama got stuck with after Frieza.

Like you can tell when the tone was much more lighthearted that Toriyama probably alot more fun writting those scenes than when he tried to be serious. He did start writting silly manga after all.

That, and with hindsight, Gohan really wasn't a character that could carry a whole series by himself imo. Especially DBZ.

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist

🙌 Preach it, my friend.

xD I mean I honestly watch a lot of let's plays myself because 1- I am curious 2- I don't have money nor time to buy and play the game myself 3-it's funnier seeing someone screwing up and also seeing them succeed

And even at times I just watch the cinematics in one compilation.

That's basically how I got to know more of the Assassin's Creed series before I could finally get my first game which was one that caught my attention ever since the first trailer, it being AC: Rogue as obvious as it is that I love the protagonist with all of my being xD I tried to play the previous titles but...no, it's just that while the gameplay is pretty much the same, the old control scheme is awful and the stories don't get me. But I watched the cutscenes of each story (I don't do that with the recent ones because I just don't care).

The same can be said about how I got interest in the Souls series...the designs are just amazing, the story is depressing as hell but I think I am a magnet for tragic stuff. Also the community is amazing. xD I do wish I could play DS1 and DS3 but with this one I again have no money nor time to do so and it looks pretty time consuming. Plus my laptop is the one I use for work so I really wouldn't want it to catch on fire.

I mean to each their own, but people should be understanding that anyone can pick up interest in something in whatever manner they want and for any reason.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there

Pain.
The new one has decent online from what I've heard and I got it.

I'd play with y'all. :nifty:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
The Buu Saga is at it's best when it doesn't try to follow the "DBZ Formula" that Toriyama got stuck with after Frieza.

Like you can tell when the tone was much more lighthearted that Toriyama probably alot more fun writting those scenes than when he tried to be serious. He did start writting silly manga after all.

That, and with hindsight, Gohan really wasn't a character that could carry a whole series by himself imo. Especially DBZ.
I will still stand by the fact that the Great Saiyaman was cool, people were just mean

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I will still stand by the fact that the Great Saiyaman was cool, people were just mean
Oh yeah, I agree with that

Sadly, Tori probably didn't know what to do with it alongside anything related to Gohan & most characters, and since lighthearted hijinks could only carry a popular series like DBZ for so long, it's no wonder it didn't got much time to shine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom