• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
But this is effectively the Marvel vs Capcom 2 of Smash. And I'd be hard pressed to say that despite Marvel vs Capcom 2 being nothing short of a mis-mash of re-used assets that it's not regarded as an all-time classic.
MvC2 still does stuff for people who care about more than the amount of fighters, though: It completely redesigned the gameplay established in X-Men vs. SF for teams of three rather than two, and made the combos even more insane.

Shroob

Sup?
MvC2 still does stuff for people who care about more than the amount of fighters, though: It completely redesigned the gameplay established in X-Men vs. SF for teams of three rather than two, and made the combos even more insane.
And?

This all feels kinda nitpicky tbh.

Like, next Smash game'll probably be drastically different, let's appreciate what we have right now before it's gone, ya know? :drshrug:

Shroob

Sup?
They still have to like… have people developing it as content. Like. Why have people still making spirit events for the sake of advertising when they could be utilized on working on other things.
I mean, what other things do they have to work on? We're not getting anymore 'real' content.

All spirit events are is taking some PNGS, slapping them in, giving them a vaguely themed spirit battle and call it a day. They probably take, maybe an hour or two to make?

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Patch Notes

Ganon is 100% bottom 1 now lmao.
RidleySide SpecialShortened the time between the slamming/dragging animations and when another jump can be input.
I guess it could be something depending on how fast you can act out of it, but I don't think it'll change much for him. That said, at first glance the patch in general doesn't seem to change anything that will move the needle much for any of the characters, aside from maybe Little Mac and Jigglypuff.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
And?

This all feels kinda nitpicky tbh.

Like, next Smash game'll probably be drastically different, let's appreciate what we have right now before it's gone, ya know? :drshrug:
well excuse me for caring more about the actual playing of the game instead of TEH HYPE!!!1 for sora

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
So this is officially the 3rd Smash game in a row where Ganon is bottom 1, there has to be some rule at Nintendo that he sucks ass
It needs to be remembered that the balance team pulls from Elite Smash data to inform their judgments about characters' balancing. And according to an article from the first month of Ultimate's lifespan, Ganondorf was the secondmost popular character online next to Cloud, with a winrate of 47.9%. Given that you'd want a character's winrate to be around 50% to consider them balanced, that's not bad.

Ganondorf, especially in Ultimate, is a complete noob-stomper, and even powerful against good players if played right and the opponent isn't super familiar with the matchup. But in serious competitive play, of course, Ganondorf is a joke that's easy to shut down.

The overwhelming majority of Smash players aren't hyper competitive and labbing combos or setups for hours. Most just play it casually with friends, even if they're pretty good at the game and have hundreds of hours invested. Even the majority of Elite Smash players would probably get washed out immediately at a tournament.

So balancing is a difficult quandary with Smash, since it's a mostly casual dimension, yet there is a fraction of players that go to tournaments and turn it into a much different game. It's practically two separate tier lists, in a way. For more "casual" play with the majority of players, Ganondorf could be considered top tier. But in top-level play, he's at the bottom.

All that said, I still would have liked to see him get some decent buffs to bring him more in line with the rest of the cast. He's come a long way from Brawl, at least.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
well excuse me for caring more about the actual playing of the game instead of TEH HYPE!!!1 for sora
I mean, the game is fine? Like, stuff like trophies and adventure mode are just bonus content. I'd argue that very few people go out to buy Smash for the single player content, and not, ya know, Smash.

The online is ass, yes.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
And you chose to do this 3 years after its release and at the very end of its continuous update cycle?

Don't be the QUIT HAVING FUN guy, at least not tonight.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
that’s literally the same face I made when I saw this comment
welcome to Kingdom Hearts

your complimentary DARKNESS is inside the goodie basket
randomly change itself despite my browser doing literally nothing to cause it. It randomly deleted some large spaces and then add a small space inbetween darkness and is…after that space was also deleted…

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
You can enjoy something while simultaneously having things about it you dislike.

Why do so many people instantly swing to "Game has a flaw or two = bad game" mentality?

Whatever happened to enjoying something and being perfectly capable of offering constructive criticism?

Heck, whatever happened to just enjoying things? Why do we need to analyze everything to death.:138:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You can enjoy something while simultaneously having things about it you dislike.

Why do so many people instantly swing to "Game has a flaw or two = bad game" mentality?

Whatever happened to enjoying something and being perfectly capable of offering constructive criticism?

Heck, whatever happened to just enjoying things? Why do we need to analyze everything to death.:138:
I mean, I have tried to enjoy Ultimate. But Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl made me realize I'd rather have more Melee-like gameplay than whatever Ultimate's wanting to do. it also helps that I won't have to worry about lesser-known nick characters getting slots taken away from steven universe or whatever

MooMew64

Anyways,

Sora good. Really happy right now. I'll grab the Octoling hat tomorrow after work.

Ultimate and Brawl and both the most based Smash games (IMO).

I, personally, am satisfied. I'll be playing Ultimate for years, and now that it's complete, I can start coming up with brand new ways of playing it.

Challenges for WoL and other Spirit Fights, Stage Builder shenanigans, 100%ing the game, maybe finally trying to actually play online with others, Homerun Contest scores with the whole cast, Classic Mode score chasing...

This game rocks.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
But Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl made me realize I'd rather have more Melee-like gameplay than whatever Ultimate's wanting to do.
You'd probably like the current Project M projects then if you don't just want to play regular Melee.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
I have come to make an announcement (and it is not about what Shadow doing something to Eggman's wife)...

Even with Ultimate ending, I have decided to stay here on Smashboards. I don't know how long, but I am staying.

Secondly, Sora is insane! I love him! His floatiness works to my advantage at times! If he returns next game, I am gonna main him.

MooMew64

Only slight disappointment with Sora is the Spirits are pretty easy. Was hoping that'd take me a bit longer to finish.

His Classic is decently hard, though, so that'll be a fun score grind.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Every series has its peak, and TBH I'm pretty confident Ultimate's gonna be Smash's peak.
Ultimate is the conclusion to an entire 22-year-long era--it's in the name. The whole point of Ultimate is to be a love letter/sendoff to every previous Smash game, bringing back every single character (including those that might be redundant or hard to license again), bringing back most of the stages/music, tweaking and rebalancing characters to be both familiar but also new and hopefully more viable (e.g. Ganondorf getting his sword, Luigi getting the Poltergust), and generally trying to include or iterate upon as much as is practical while also having all that aforementioned content (e.g. World of Light/Spirits, Echo Fighters, Mii costumes, unique Classic modes, a more robust training mode, etc.).

So it's absolutely the peak as far Smash as we know it is concerned. It will be a long time before the next Smash game, and when that happens, it will be completely different from what we've known for 22 years. Barring any possible future patches/balance changes, or more Spirit Events, today is the final day of Ultimate's story, and with it, the final day for Super Smash Bros. as it currently exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom