• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Speaking of leaving, maybe it's time I hung up the coat. Pretty sure I burnt the candle on both ends to the point where the wax is basically non existent.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I just think it would be cool to see an Omega Metroid fight Monster Mother Brain and the baby just getting bigger never made sense to me.
The Metroids in Metroid II evolved by absorbing the lifeforms on SR-388. It's not really shown how the Baby was fed, though. I'm assuming it's done differently since it was birthed by the Queen Metroid.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
According to the lore, Metroids are only able to evolve past the larval stage on SR-388 or with conditions structured similar to it, such as on the BSL in Fusion. Probably due in fact with the aeion energy that's found there as well as it being the actual homeworld the Metroids were originally designed for by the Chozo.

Having a final battle like that in Super could be neat, but having a literal "Super" Metroid definitely fits the feel of the encounter more appropriately.
How? It’s literally just a bigger sprite. It’s not more intimidating or scarier it’s just dumb. It’s like the Space Pirates fed it a Mega Mushroom. It’s just dumb. I always hated that part of the encounter, lore be damned. It’s only Super in the Mario brum brum brum sense which imo does NOT fit with Metroid at all.

Noipoi

Howdy!
How? It’s literally just a bigger sprite. It’s not more intimidating or scarier it’s just dumb. It’s like the Space Pirates fed it a Mega Mushroom. It’s just dumb. I always hated that part of the encounter, lore be damned. It’s only Super in the Mario brum brum brum sense which imo does NOT fit with Metroid at all.
It’ll never not amuse me seeing you get annoyed at the most random ****.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
The Metroids in Metroid II evolved by absorbing the lifeforms on SR-388. It's not really shown how the Baby was fed, though. I'm assuming it's done differently since it was birthed by the Queen Metroid.
I always assumed the baby's oversize was result of whatever experiments the poor thing had to go through at Ceres.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Like if I didn’t know any better I’d think Return of Samus was developed AFTER Super. That’s how dumb I think using just a giant normal Metroid is in comparison to the Omega or even a Queen design. Like it follows up on its story but that decision feels like they really didn’t want to. And I just hate it.
It’ll never not amuse me seeing you get annoyed at the most random ****.
Not liking a stupid thing in a video game is one thing. People defending that stupid thing because hurrrrr duh LOOOOOOORE pisses me the hell off despite how guilty of it I have been in the past. Like I always want the lore of my games to be consistent. But I will also say that if your only excuse for not doing something really really cool in your game is the lore then you have no valid excuse and you should do the cool thing.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Like if I didn’t know any better I’d think Return of Samus was developed AFTER Super. That’s how dumb I think using just a giant normal Metroid is in comparison to the Omega or even a Queen design. Like it follows up on its story but that decision feels like they really didn’t want to. And I just hate it.

Not liking a stupid thing in a video game is one thing. People defending that stupid thing because hurrrrr duh LOOOOOOORE pisses me the hell off despite how guilty of it I have been in the past. Like I always want the lore of my games to be consistent. But I will also say that if your only excuse for not doing something really really cool in your game is the lore then you have no valid excuse and you should do the cool thing.
Maybe they just didn’t think of it? You think of that?

Maybe they literally just didn’t think of it and you’re getting worked up over nothing.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Then they should change it in a remake. And all the posts I’m getting about “the lore” are not valid.
But if lore reasons are the reasons it didn’t happen, then it’s totally valid? I just proposed a theory, not the definitive answer. If the true answer is lore, then that’s just the way it is. And you gotta deal with it.

Now go to bed, we’re cleaning the house tomorrow and I’m not letting you sleep in.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Got my best time for Dread 3:12! Probably could shave an easy few minutes since I kept screwing up the early Golzuna sequence break. Had to do this run on Normal since those were the only rewards I didn't get since I already got sub-4 hour on Hard mode. Now I got all the 100% items rewards and all Speedrun rewards, unlocking bonus rewards for each! The artwork is pretty lit ngl!

Only thing I haven't accomplished yet was 100% on Hard mode. So that will be a nice casual playthrough perhaps practicing some sequence breaks. Also should try some 0% runs which will probably be the death of both me and Samus! lol

Also apparently Dread is already one of the best selling Metroid games in Japan. I know the bar wasn't too high to begin with since Metroid never really sold all that well in Japan but the game's barely been out for a week!

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
But if lore reasons are the reasons it didn’t happen, then it’s totally valid? I just proposed a theory, not the definitive answer. If the true answer is lore, then that’s just the way it is. And you gotta deal with it.

Now go to bed, we’re cleaning the house tomorrow and I’m not letting you sleep in.
I will go to bed. But because I have to go to work tomorrow. But my final stance is that I see no valid reasons against this. And no one can change my mind. An Omega Metroid would be cooler so that’s what it should be. End of story.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Then they should change it in a remake. And all the posts I’m getting about “the lore” are not valid.
If the baby wasn't literally "just a giant Metroid" they couldn't have done it's scene with Mother Brain the way it was done, and that is like, the best scene of the entire franchise, I would never change that to a scene without the giant Metroid doing what only him could have done.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
I mean, I love the design of the Omega Metroid, it's very beastly especially in its Return incarnation. However, even ignoring the lore it wouldn't have fit the story. The point of the baby being there wasn't to be this huge brute of a beast, it was supposed to be the mutated baby you saved. Having it keep its original form but bigger fits that story beat far more then the Alien T-Rex, and makes the sacrifice it has at the end hit harder since it's a more familiar form to players of the game.

Regardless, you're welcome to prefer a different direction, but understand that just because you disagree with the current one doesn't mean it's not valid. The writers had good reasons to go with the direction they did between the lore, story, and thematic they had and many fans appreciate that direction considering how iconic it is to the franchise. Choosing to ignore all of those reasons just because it doesn't fit your preferences is just putting yourself into a bubble and refusing to let anything in. The reasons are there, and while you may not agree with them they exist and should be given weight.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Regardless, you're welcome to prefer a different direction, but understand that just because you disagree with it doesn't mean it's not valid. The writers had good reasons to go with the direction they did between the lore, story, and thematic they had and many fans appreciate that direction considering how iconic it is to the franchise. Choosing to ignore all of those reasons just because it doesn't fit your preferences is just putting yourself into a bubble and refusing to let anything in.
Thank youuuuu

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I mean, I love the design of the Omega Metroid, it's very beastly especially in its Return incarnation. However, even ignoring the lore it wouldn't have fit the story. The point of the baby being there wasn't to be this huge brute of a beast, it was supposed to be the mutated baby you saved. Having it keep its original form but bigger fits that story beat far more then the Alien T-Rex, and makes the sacrifice it has at the end hit harder since it's a more familiar form to players of the game.
And yet it doesn’t look mutated in any other way so it just makes me think they somehow played Return if Samus without killing any of the Metroids and think that’s just what happens when Metroids grow up. Not to mention how dumb it looks because it’s just been fed a Mario mushroom which just isn’t how anything else in Metroid works. It’s like all of a sudden The Avengers is running on Bugs Bunny logic for a few minutes.
Regardless, you're welcome to prefer a different direction
Thank you.

but understand that just because you disagree with the current one doesn't mean it's not valid. The writers had good reasons to go with the direction they did between the lore, story, and thematic they had and many fans appreciate that direction considering how iconic it is to the franchise. Choosing to ignore all of those reasons just because it doesn't fit your preferences is just putting yourself into a bubble and refusing to let anything in. The reasons are there, and while you may not agree with them they exist and should be given weight.
I mean… it’s not valid to me. I think it’s incredibly stupid and breaks the consistency of Metroid’s universe. I don’t care what reasons they had. The lore isn’t a valid reason, they made up the lore to justify the decision they already made. And the story and themes I can understand on an intellectual level but I can’t say it worked because I never felt that when I played it. I always just thought about how stupid it was. And like it or not I am not a child in the 90s experiencing Super Metroid for the first time like many of the people who deem the scene iconic. I give the reasons the weight I think they deserve.

Noipoi

Howdy!
And yet it doesn’t look mutated in any other way so it just makes me think they somehow played Return if Samus without killing any of the Metroids and think that’s just what happens when Metroids grow up. Not to mention how dumb it looks because it’s just been fed a Mario mushroom which just isn’t how anything else in Metroid works. It’s like all of a sudden The Avengers is running on Bugs Bunny logic for a few minutes.

Thank you.

I mean… it’s not valid to me. I think it’s incredibly stupid and breaks the consistency of Metroid’s universe. I don’t care what reasons they had. The lore isn’t a valid reason, they made up the lore to justify the decision they already made. And the story and themes I can understand on an intellectual level but I can’t say it worked because I never felt that when I played it. I always just thought about how stupid it was. And like it or not I am not a child in the 90s experiencing Super Metroid for the first time like many of the people who deem the scene iconic. I give the reasons the weight I think they deserve.
Snake go to sleep or I’m taking your Xbox

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Mutations take form in different ways, some things grow in size, some grow new limbs, some change color, and so on. There's not a uniform trait to all mutations, and how some organisms respond to different reactions is going to vary. That can apply to the Baby Metroid as we know they had to do something to it to get all of those new Metroids and that something could've resulted in it changing size as a result of whatever exposure it got.

You're being rather demeaning here. There are many people who have played Super at different stages in their lives, whether as a kid, a teen, an adult, or even older, and many of them still found that scene engaging and memorable. Trying to play that love off as childish nostalgia is being completely dismissive of those fan's opinions just because they're not your own.

Again, the scene didn't land for you and that's fair, I'm not trying to say you're wrong in feeling that way. However, in the same breath you can't turn around and dismiss and demean others for feeling otherwise. You have to accept that the scene meant a lot to other fans even if you don't agree with them.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
I didn't experience The Super Metroid death in the 90', and I still had goosebumps when it happened. Saying you can't take it seriously due to not having nostalgia for it is just foolish.

Beside, I can't imagine a Omega Metroid in it's place without it looking weird when Da Baby as to give Samus her energy back. (or even take it's energy, we never seen once in canon a Metroid outside it's Larva stage absorb someone else energy on screen,)

Jondolio

Smash Hero
g'morning m'gamers

seems like smashboards now autocensors l*gma which is hysterical
HOLY ** THIS IS THAT GOOD **
They're highlighting the OG team?

Maybe this will actually be good
I mean I only played Super Metroid for the first time recently and the scene where the baby metroid sucked all the energy from me scared the **** out of me, and I'm not someone who gets frightened easily. I don't think that scene would work if it was an Omega Metroid, same with its death scene - especially since no Omega Metroid shows up prior to this so its inclusion would just seem out of nowhere to people who haven't played Return of Samus. You gotta consider the context of the game - Metroids are some of the biggest threats in Super Metroid so having a gigantic one succ you of all of your energy without you having an opportunity to react is naturally a terrifying prospect, which is why I think it's such an effective moment. The fact it shows remorse for doing so also makes the player recognize it as the baby Metroid, which again, wouldn't work if it was an Omega Metroid unless the player has played Metroid 2.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom