• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Man I have a lot of fundamental problems with Shantae and the Seven Sirens. If anyone is interested in hearing me rant, please let me know. But otherwise I won’t waste my time typing up something no one will read. Just know that IMO, Half-Genie Hero and Pirates Curse are still tied for best game in the series and imo this ranks below Risky’s Revenge.

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
Man I have a lot of fundamental problems with Shantae and the Seven Sirens. If anyone is interested in hearing me rant, please let me know. But otherwise I won’t waste my time typing up something no one will read. Just know that IMO, Half-Genie Hero and Pirates Curse are still tied for best game in the series and imo this ranks below Risky’s Revenge.
I'm cool with it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
My issues really stem from 2/3 big issues. One: The Metroidvania Appproach. Not that I’m gonna say Metroidvanias are bad or anything. I’ve had my fair share of fun with the 2D Metroid titles I’ve played. It’s that the only Shantae before this that was truly a Metroidvania was the GBC game. Risky’s Revenge and Pirates Curse were more like side scrolling Zelda games in their structure. The dungeons being condensed hubs of puzzle solving and combat. And the overworld wasn’t that interesting in Risky’s Revenge, but Pirate’s Curse broke it down into separate and visually distinct areas ala Banjo-Kazooie. And I would get a real satisfaction from clearing an area in a way I never got in Seven Sirens or even most Metroid titles. And that would be fine if Shantae controlled well or interestingly but I’m sorry, here she just does not. I always lo referred transforming to take out enemies in Half-Genie hero because they controlled differently and often times had more interesting methods of attack then the hair whip. Combat is actually one of the weaker elements of Pirate’s Curse, and the game would have been tremendously saved if you could do combos with the scimitar. And in Seven Sirens…. The animal forms are more insignificant here then ever before because most of them really are just keys. Sure, they’re snappy. But I never feel like I’ve unlocked a new tool that helped me progress. It was always “oh, I can pass that one obstacle I couldn’t before”. IMO, the way to fix the problems with the animal transformations breaking up the pace was to make them more versatile in what they can do so you don’t NEED to change back automatically after you clear an obstacle because the transformation doesn’t impede your ability to progress. And the enemies drop so much food and money it’s ridiculous! But unlike other people who are all like “it removes the challenge” I see it as a problem because eventually you end up having no reason to kill enemies at all. You have plenty of food to heal and the shop clears out so fast that by the final dungeon the enemies are just mere annoyances than anything else. Especially since the only way you have to attack them is with the boring hair whip which gets old fast because even fully upgraded it never one shots anything. In the final dungeon, enemy encounters just break up the pace of the platforming. And the dungeons. They’re just so boring. I appreciate that if you’re diligent with your abilities you never have to backtrack into them but there’s almost no puzzle solving like in Pirate’s Curse and that kills it. It’s just running around until you find the key or the transformation and can get into a new area you couldn’t before and it becomes such a slog to travel through them all. It’s like a weird in between if the tight puzzley dungeons in Pirate’s Curse and the tight platforming of Half-Genie Hero with none of the high points of either formula. Like… imagine mixing water and oil, and then imagine having to drink it. That’s what these dungeons feel like. And traveling through the overworld is like drinking the oil straight up because you never do anything in it! The overworld is just distance to travel to separate the dungeons. Nothing more. At most you take an item from one character to another or go back to use your new key on that locked door you couldn’t open before. It’s just not fun. The game has it’s strengths but overall… it’s just so bland.

How would I fix it? Easy. The game was released in parts on Apple Arcade originally, leading to it’s episodic nature. So instead of having one island, make it an archipelago. Basically the Pirate’s Curse approach. That way, instead of having one huge open map with nothing to do in it (and I’m not exaggerating on that front, you do nothing in Seven Siren’s overworld except run and jump sporadically with no challenge), you have six smaller yet more tightly designed areas where you are introduced to new abilities and mechanics at a better pace. Then to fix the transformations, just ditch the animal transformations. Make it so that when the sirens attacked they did something to the genies preventing them from using their magic, which is why she can’t use any animals, but they CAN transfer their powers to each other with the fusion stones. So instead of an Animal Transformation, you play as and control the four fusion forms you see when you dance. Make it snappy. Make it so you just tilt the right analogue stick in the appropriate direction to change. Instead of needing the Octopus and the Tortoise to Tripple jump and break walls, you do that with the Quake form in addition to shifting the environment with the dance. You use the Zap form travel in water since it looks like an eel. You use the Seer form to travel at high speeds by slowing down time for Shantae (big brain enhanced perception all that). You use the Restore form to climb up walls and grapple like Bolo in Friends to the End. And just cut out the need for the drill because in essence it’s the same exact thing as the frog just with a different type of terrain. Design the overworld and dungeons around these powers and you’re golden. You can even tie being transformed to the magic meter so you can’t spam your super powerful attacks or spells without forceabley changing back and being weakened. The game has potential but it just does not live up to it in the slightest.

Also, I’m fighting the final boss now and if Shantae doesn’t get to read that Scrapbook by the end I’ll be pissed. It’s been two games since Pirate’s Curse. Follow up on the mystery of her origins already!

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I decided to read the Ultimates on Marvel Unlimited - I'd heard bad things about Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum, but I thought the first two must be at least decent, considering that they revitalized the Avengers brand and some details from it were used for the MCU version of the team.

Less than five issues into a thirteen issue mini-series, and I'm already comparing it to Fant4stic. Among other things, the team first takes action to fight the Hulk because Betty Ross is having dinner with the actor Freddie Prinze Jr., Bruce Banner intentionally turns himself into the Hulk, and now the Hulk wants to murder Freddie Prinze Jr. (also, Captain America is weirdly sexist, which seems really out-of-character from what I've read in the Avengers and Ed Brubaker's run)

Also, the over-the-top nationalism is a bit much. I get that this was made about half a year after 9/11, but when the story acts like America was running the war effort in World War 2, the Avengers are turned into an extension of the US military, and Captain America's claims that he has nothing left are met with Nick Fury pointing to the American flag blowing in the breeze, it all seems excessive.

Considering that I haven't even gotten to the really bad stuff yet (which seemingly starts in the next issue with an extended domestic abuse scene that comes out of nowhere based on how the couple's portrayed in the first five issues), I think I'm done with this corner of the Ultimate universe. (maybe even the Ultimate universe in general aside from Spider-Man)

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
I decided to read the Ultimates on Marvel Unlimited - I'd heard bad things about Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum, but I thought the first two must be at least decent, considering that they revitalized the Avengers brand and some details from it were used for the MCU version of the team.

Less than five issues into a thirteen issue mini-series, and I'm already comparing it to Fant4stic. Among other things, the team first takes action to fight the Hulk because Betty Ross is having dinner with the actor Freddie Prinze Jr., Bruce Banner intentionally turns himself into the Hulk, and now the Hulk wants to murder Freddie Prinze Jr. (also, Captain America is weirdly sexist, which seems really out-of-character from what I've read in the Avengers and Ed Brubaker's run)

Considering that I haven't even gotten to the really bad stuff yet (which seemingly starts in the next issue with an extended domestic abuse scene that comes out of nowhere based on how the couple's portrayed in the first five issues), I think I'm done with this corner of the Ultimate universe. (maybe even the Ultimate universe in general aside from Spider-Man)
The only good things about Ultimate comics Cap are him questioning the “totally healthy” relationship between Wanda and Pietro (which that whole deal…one of the bigger reasons towards the Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum hate), as well as him regretting his part in Peter’s “death”. He’s a massive **** every other times

it was really the Spider-Man side of things that carried the entire line of comics unfortunately (well…fortunate for the Spidey fans of course, but not the rest)

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Wait, what's the chronology of the Shantae games, like which one comes first in terms of release then what and so on?
There’s the GBC game, Risky’s Revenge, Pirate’s Curse, Half Genie Hero and Seven Sirens. Honestly if you wanna get into the series, I’d skip the GBC game as it has not aged well and honestly it has no real narrative barring on the rest of the games save for like one or two cameos in PC. Risky’s Revenge is a better place to start though Pirate’s Curse is also a good starting point but if you do that I’d watch a play through of RR to understand the events as it’s a direct continuation. RR is pretty short though

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I beat both The Great Ace Attorney games

Post game depression, Activate!
View attachment 325939
You know, the fun never ends. You can enjoy even more Ace Attorney for free!

Step 1: Commit a Felony
Step 2: Go to court
Step 3: Watch as the two lawyers battle it out!

Just like Ace Attorney!

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
There’s the GBC game, Risky’s Revenge, Pirate’s Curse, Half Genie Hero and Seven Sirens. Honestly if you wanna get into the series, I’d skip the GBC game as it has not aged well and honestly it has no real narrative barring on the rest of the games save for like one or two cameos in PC. Risky’s Revenge is a better place to start though Pirate’s Curse is also a good starting point but if you do that I’d watch a play through of RR to understand the events as it’s a direct continuation. RR is pretty short though
So, I could play Risky's Revenge and nothing would be missed plot-wise?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You know, the fun never ends. You can enjoy even more Ace Attorney for free!

Step 1: Commit a Felony
Step 2: Go to court
Step 3: Watch as the two lawyers battle it out!

Just like Ace Attorney!
but will it be fun?

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
Wanna know what my favorite style of 3D modeling is?

Like, dead up, I adore intentionally low-poly modelling. N64 era, PS1 era, and Saturn era models are my jaaaaam. I wish there were more indies that specifically copied those styles.

I....Kinda wanna learn how to make models like that now, lol.

Wademan94

Smash Obsessed
Where the weather changes as much as my avatar
NNID
Wade94
3DS FC
4897-6423-0493
Okay. What does the "pretty much" mean? Is there like a few details that I would miss out on?
The only thing I can think of is Rottytops (zombie girl you meet later on) mentioning that Shantae still owes her a brain (regarding racing her in the GBC game), otherwise the first game has very little overall impact on the rest of the games barring a few Easter eggs here and there

KingBooGengar57

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-6126-0782-8125
The only thing I can think of is Rottytops (zombie girl you meet later on) mentioning that Shantae still owes her a brain (regarding racing her in the GBC game), otherwise the first game has very little overall impact on the rest of the games barring a few Easter eggs here and there
Coolio. Can't wait to buy them on my Switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom