• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
You ever wake up and just feel like crap. Getting that right now.

Had really bad dreams last night is part of it. My uncomfortable bed is another.

Maybe a walk will do me.

We just landed in Austria 15 minutes ago and I’ve already seen someone wearing dream merch

I hate this country
Why you in Austria?

Also you are American right?

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
There was a problem fetching the tweet
Can't wait for 2025 where X&Y go from ass to hidden gem.

Also, guess what? X&Y is also nearing a decade old.
I get the complaints for XY, but none of them really ever bothered me. Gen 5 back in the day was pretty underwhelming to me for several reasons, so I still remember Day 1 XY and being blown away. Wouldn't call the game ass by any means, not even Gen 8 so far I'd call that, but I wouldn't call it a hidden gem either.

Does anyone else feel like specifically only games that your excited for are the ones that get delayed to hell?

No joke, I’ve been waiting on a few games for a long long time. Everwild, Prime 4, Skull & Bones, Bayonetta 3, etc.
Not so much anymore. Most games now I feel "awesome, I'm glad to see a new title in said series/that looks interesting" but nothing so much in terms of Day One or Week One pick ups.

After what happened with Prime 4, I'm guessing Nintendo will never pre-announce something that early again.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh, we talking about Pokemon XY?

.....it's fine. I liked Gen 6's Pokemon, and I loved Megas, but.....

That's about all I can say about it that's good. The plot felt.... completely non-existent tbh. Like, Team Flare is basically nazis and like..... well, I get why they didn't go super hard on that topic but like, the game came right off the heels of Black/White where N was a character one could realistically find common ground with, and in this game? You got Lysandre, who is TOTALLY NOT THE BAD GUY BTW, constantly messaging you, some random 10 year old, waxing poetically about really dark motives, and like

You got AZ, who's just kinda there, and they don't really 'do' anything with until the end, which, him and Floette is still a great scene mind you

And your friends who..... they exist. Remind me why they were pushing a romance between the MC and Shauna? When we're 10?

Then there's the postgame, which is just one short story beat, which feels kinda divorced from the main game, and Zygarde's just kinda... tossed in a cave and given zero significance.

Yeah....

It was just an absolute mess narratively. I legit feel like every game up to that point's evil team felt competent in their motives, but XY just didn't feel like it really 'knew' what it wanted to be. In Gen 1+2, I legit could believe Team Rocket was some organized crime ring, despite how bumbling they were, in Gen 3, I legit could buy that Team Magma/Aqua were eco-terrorists who were misguided in their actions, and in Gen 4? I legit believed that Cyrus was an nihilistic maniac bent on destruction with Team Galactic not really understanding the extent of his self-destructive goals.

I don't know if that supposed leaked XY plot outline which involved ayylmaos and Jekyl/Hyde **** was legit, but honestly, that felt way more cohesive than XY's plot.

Last edited:

duxx

Smash Ace
And your friends who..... they exist. Remind me why they were pushing a romance between the MC and Shauna? When we're 10?
I mean if you consider that their target audience isn’t 30 year old men, it kinda makes more sense? I feel like that’s the age where most kids start getting feelings for one another.

Although it’s not like I was watching fireworks with a girl in some rich guys backyard when I was 10. Or even now tbh, but that’s prob just me

Shroob

Sup?
I mean if you consider that their target audience isn’t 30 year old men, it kinda makes more sense? I feel like that’s the age where most kids start getting feelings for one another.

Although it’s not like I was watching fireworks with a girl in some rich guys backyard when I was 10. Or even now tbh, but that’s prob just me
I mean, that just raises a more glaring issue in that it was rather slap-dash tbh.

Like, that scene comes super early in the game all things considered, and outside their 1-dimensional character traits, which really never get that much better tbh, we, the player, barely know her, and all of a sudden there's this vaguely romantic scene? Which really is never expanded on later?

As much as people dunk on Sun/Moon for how slow it is, I'll always appreciate how it actually told a competent story, in Pokemon. The characters felt like actual characters and not 1-dimensional "I do this and this is my entire character summed up". Lily is a strong as hell character since we get to see her grow and change over the story's length, and honestly, Hau's not too far behind either.

We don't talk about how Ultra Sun/Moon ruined that.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
To be honest, I don't really get the feel that XY is going to be suddenly seen as a hidden gem, at least not to the extent that games like Platinum or the BW set are being treated as in this scenario. With B2W2, people were already starting to rally behind them as early as ORAS as you had people bringing up its content, how it continued the story instead of retreading it, and other such things. With XY even with a few more years over that, while it has more people defending it I don't really see that same (maybe overly) passionate force behind them highlighting why these were great games that were unfairly buried. They just seem to be treated more as just good games rather then highlights, and I'm not sure if that's going to suddenly shift with time when examples like B2W2 were already starting to be put on a pedestal in the same relative timeframe.

I also think, and admittedly this is speculative on my part, that not having a third version is going to hurt its perception. Gen 4 and 5 greatly benefitted from having a third version/sequel as it gave people more content, updates, and continuations that fans could appreciate out of those games and highlighted their strong points even further. XY doesn't have that, we only had one visit to Kalos and then after the remake it got sidelined rather quickly, so it's potentially easier for it to be overlooked since you only had one chance to really play it and there wasn't a way to see it polished up and improved.

Maybe I'll eat my words in a couple years, but I think once the dust settles XY is going to be seen more as a middle of the road type of game then an extremely good or bad one. A game that does its job and does it well, but not to a point where it excels either.

duxx

Smash Ace
Honestly the only thing boosting x and y up is the fact that a large majority of the people on the internet rn (kids/teenagers) had it as their first Pokémon game and feel like they have to defend it bc of that. Other than that, it’s just a really mediocre game at best

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Like, I know I'm ranting but, like, damn.

Sun/Moon's characters, felt like actual characters.

I loved Guzma, and learning his backstory where his dad beat him helped me relate to him, and like, hell, who doesn't have a Team Skull-like phase?

I felt bad for Lusamine, knowing that her insanity was due to losing her husband in a freak accident.

Hau was just... fun. Annoying at times? Absolutely, but watching him grow alongside you was great.

And Lily? Hands down one of the best characters they've ever written, easy.

And then you just look at Lysandre and "He's bad because he got tired of people being dumb and decided to turn to facism."

Ok bro, okay.

Like, even Cyrus's backstory, for as little as there is, is deeper than that.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Honestly the only thing boosting x and y up is the fact that a large majority of the people on the internet rn (kids/teenagers) had it as their first Pokémon game and feel like they have to defend it bc of that. Other than that, it’s just a really mediocre game at best
That's probably kinda the reason.

I think people online nowadays are way too harsh on average/mediocre games. It's not like every game has to be great for someone to build an emotional connection with it. It's OK to hold a game in higher regard just because it was a first for you.

As long as you are critical of the flaws of the game and not bashing others, I don't see anything wrong with liking a game that others are not impressed by.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Yo Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! , I got a question as a fellow YT person:

What's the etiquette on using gameplay footage from other channels? Like, generic background gameplay or just footage of a cutscene.
Typically, I try to use footage from trailers, official videos, etc. If I can't find any good ones, though, hop on YouTube, find some footage, and credit the channel in the description, I say.

Amy, but without the crush.

Yes, I’m Sonic.

Guh-Huzzah! Guh-Huzzah! Is Tails, TheMightyP TheMightyP is Knuckles. I lied about Snake, duxx duxx is Shadow. Wademan94 Wademan94 is Blaze. Shroob Shroob is Omega. @Lamperouge is Silver.

We invade the world, Rabbid style. It’s my magnum opus.
Duxx being Shadow is perfect, lemme just say. :4pacman:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
XY for me was more about the series advancing forward after a long time of being stuck on a single system. Gen 5 has aged better in hindsight but at the time it came out it was a real letdown for me. Nothing really new mechanically, new Pokemon took a long time to grow on me (Starters especially), need a second DS again to import past mons, Team Plasma and N were a PETA joke waiting to happen/plans made no sense, manga was hard to keep track of, and the anime felt like it was regressing.

An actual 3D game in the main series, type reblancing, Megas giving older mons a new lease on life, two sets of Starter Pokemon, QoL features that make it significantly easier to create a team, trainer customization, a usable GTS, PokeBank, Pokemon-Amie, Streetpass, etc.

XY I tend to think more of in terms of mechanics and QoL than the single player unlike most games in the series. The meat of the Post Game for me was actually feeling like I had a chance to complete the Dex for the first time and shiny hunt within reason.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Baby Rando, why did you leave me.

I may be a psychopath but still, why did u leave me so soon, I thought we could at least reach no.4 ;_;

Also I somehow managed to not use Joy once so far. Noteworthy since I won the fight in the village with tons of dudes in it, it was hard, but it was worth it.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Shroob Shroob

Terry is no more, so I must fill the Terry Shaped Hole in my Heart.
Screen Shot 07-31-21 at 01.50 PM.PNG

D

Deleted member

Shroob Shroob Will Will duxx duxx Verde Coeden Scalesworth Verde Coeden Scalesworth Alright, here’s the deck I’m taking to locals today!
82C18B56-39DA-406C-BAE2-C2967B86961F.jpeg

With 3x Stratos, 3x Emergency Call, 1x A Hero Lives, and 3x Faris, I have 10 different ways to get Faris into my hand(I can either hard draw into it, search out Stratos with E-Call, simply open Stratos and normal summon him, or SS Stratos from the deck with A Hero Lives, which is probably the best way to unbrick my hand cause using my Normal Summon on Stratos is not ideal), and I’m running more monsters than spells, so the odds of me bricking and also not getting Faris into my hand is very low, so the deck is very consistent.

The main thing I’m worried about is Ash Blossom. While Faris himself can’t be hit by Ash(as it PLACES a Vision Hero from deck into the S/T zone, and Ash only cares about Special Summons from the deck/GY and not the hand) if they activate Ash in response to Vision Hero Increase’s effect, my combo dies, and I only have one Called by The Grave to actually out it. Unfortunately, I don’t have enough time to get anything else for the deck(unless my locals happens to be selling some of the few cards I need) so it’s going to be very difficult playing around Ash. There’s also Nibiru I have to watch out for, because I summon way more than 5 monsters a turn when I do my combo, and unfortunately, Called by the Grave can’t out it because it never enters the GY for me to banish it, and my own Ash can’t out it either because it SS’s itself from the hand, which Ash doesn’t care about. Ironic, isn’t it?

The good thing about this deck though is that as long as the Increase goes off uninterrupted I have a full combo and can make a half decent board. Granted, that also depends on my hand, but I generally will at least be able to get a Dread Decimator pointing to at least 1 fusion on board. Going second, I have Dark Ruler No More to hopefully stop any boards full of negates, I have 3x Twin Twister and 2x Cosmic Cyclone to deal with backrow decks that annoy me, and stuff like Lancea and D.D Crow I just hope I can find a use for. I don’t see myself going up against too many decks that don’t like D.D Crow, unless my locals has Drytons running around or something.

All in all, today is going to be a fun day, and I can’t wait! :sakuraipower:

Last edited by a moderator:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
waking up knowing there’s a new Owl House to watch on demand
2B490DD7-2B2D-449A-BEB2-4660AD3135DF.gif

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Tomorrow is gonna be the first time since over a year I work at one of my jobs again. Even if it is just for a special event and they need extra hands. Regardless I'm excited to work alongside my two friends again. It's felt like forever.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom