• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'll admit, I definitely said "FINALLY A CHARACTER FOR REAL ******!" when I saw it was Kazuya tho. Not my most wanted, but very, very close. El Diablo Padre de Kazuya should be a really fun character.

Now I have a question for YOU guys. Would you consider Castlevania or Mega Man as Scrimbloware? I feel like their aesthetics are too anime to be considered like that. Let alone Contra and Metroid. I feel like its both an aesthetic and genre type thing. Guys like the Dragonborn wouldn't count as a John McJRPG obviously.
Scrimblo is specifically for doofy platformer mascots, usually anthropomorphic animals. Mega Man perhaps, but Castlevania’s aesthetics and themes are far removed from scrimbolism.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'll admit, I definitely said "FINALLY A CHARACTER FOR REAL ******!" when I saw it was Kazuya tho. Not my most wanted, but very, very close. El Diablo Padre de Kazuya should be a really fun character.

Now I have a question for YOU guys. Would you consider Castlevania or Mega Man as Scrimbloware? I feel like their aesthetics are too anime to be considered like that. Let alone Contra and Metroid. I feel like its both an aesthetic and genre type thing. Guys like the Dragonborn wouldn't count as a John McJRPG obviously.
Mega Man yeah, Mega Man X no, Castlevania definitely not.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Soulcalibur 6 should have an unlockable “Soul Edge” weapon for each character like Soulcalibur 2. And on top of that, each character should also get their own custom “Nightmare Armor”

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Good afternoon folks, I don't know who that person is, but looks like a member of the "Memes for Smash" crowd. But admittedly Shantae is the #1 fighter I want added to Smash

His complaints seem to be the really original "sword bad" complaint that I really never saw before around this community, and, what, "Terry isn't a legacy character"? Way to show he doesn't know what he is talking about, Terry is more legacy than Kazuya, clearly that person wasn't around when SNK was big. Anyway, I hope y'all enjoy your afternoon in this crazy train.
I’d say Tekken has much more legacy than SNK’s stuff. I’m not trying to downplay the SNK games, but Tekken is HUGE. It’s the third best selling fighting game series behind Smash & Mortal Kombat, that’s not even including the money its made in arcades.
And that's one reason why I don't see him fitting.

And here is another. It's not like Smash has branched out to include mascots from Sony or Xbox exclusive franchises. Also the reason why Crash is unlikely, but at least he fits better with the rest of the crew.
:ultsnake::ultcloud: :ultrichter::ultjoker::ultsephiroth::ultkazuya:

I know they’ve all had Nintendo appearances, but they’re still all faaaar more associated with PlayStation. You can’t even buy a Metal Gear or Tekken game on Switch as of now.

I also don’t see why he wouldn’t fit outside of being Xbox man, which really shouldn’t be a problem given all of the PS centric characters we’ve been getting.

The only gritty Halo games are Reach & 4. The rest of the series has a fun, pulpy tone to it; there’s a lot of levity in those games. I’d say Fire Emblem & Metroid are more serious/dark tbh.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I’d say Tekken has much more legacy than SNK’s stuff. I’m not trying to downplay the SNK games, but Tekken is HUGE. It’s the third best selling fighting game series behind Smash & Mortal Kombat, that’s not even including the money its made in arcades.

:ultsnake::ultcloud: :ultrichter::ultjoker::ultsephiroth::ultkazuya:

I know they’ve all had Nintendo appearances, but they’re still all faaaar more associated with PlayStation. You can’t even buy a Metal Gear or Tekken game on Switch as of now.

I also don’t see why he wouldn’t fit outside of being Xbox man, which really shouldn’t be a problem given all of the PS centric characters we’ve been getting.

The only gritty Halo games are Reach & 4. The rest of the series has a fun, pulpy tone to it; there’s a lot of levity in those games. I’d say Fire Emblem & Metroid are more serious/dark tbh.
Yeah. Tekken in and of itself has more reach than SNK and has done better than Street Fighter. Though I think, mechanically SNK games have influenced other games in the genre more, similar to Street Fighter also creating things that would become staples of the genre. Though for a time, there were games that tried to ape or be influenced by Tekken's style(let alone it's older brother Virtua Fighter), they didn't stick around as long. Though Soul Calibur still feels Tekken's influence. DOA takes more from VF and there's not as many 3D fighters to borrow from VF and Tekken now. They're used to be a lot of MK clones too, but not as much nowadays. While 2D fighting games still borrow elements from SNK and Capcom.

Then you have stuff that's been ingrained into people like Eddy Gordo being seen as cheap as a Blue Shell when playing with friends.

Like how the original run of Banjo Kazooie sold more than Super Metroid and Mega Man 2. But Mega Man and Metroid have influenced far more titles directly. That said, Mega Man and Metroid have had more than 1 or two success stories to their names. Those two, plus Castlevania have done more for games in the long run, as they have had multiple successful games to spark iterations from.

Bit of a tangent, but I do find it weird there's less indie platformers that borrow from Mario in a more direct way. Obviously the whole genre owes a lot to SMB, but not many games try to scratch that particular itch.

As for Master Chief, yeah, he'd fit in with Samus or Falcon, and tons more.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Aw yeah! Godzilla vs. Kong has hit $100 million domesticically!

Second place after A Quiet Place Part II (Which btw one of my current favorites this year). Not bad!

Last edited:

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
@Z25 Pokelego999 Pokelego999
Would you know how to trigger the first Furious Battle DLC in Pokémon Xenoverse? :ultgreninja:
I believe in the postgame that you need to go get the ticket for it from the delivery guy in Hadwarf. Then you need to go to Samuel Oak Airport and ask the lady in red to go to Shinobi Island. Once there, after the dialogue you need to use Dielebi to activate the Red Shrine. Once you go through, head to the very top to engage Greninja. It's hard as heck, it has Fire Kunai, Night Slash, Grass Knot, and one other attack, having amazing coverage. And you can't use your Starter nor legendaries or mythicals.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Looking through books at library.
I'm writing a new story.
Yet still in shallow depression.

Hipster River.

My haiku. Or bull****. Rate it.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
One more week until the Kazuya Mishima presentation! :ultkazuya:
Get hype! Kazuya is so cool! I can’t wait!
Looking through books at library.
I'm writing a new story.
Yet still in shallow depression.

Hipster River.

My haiku. Or bull****. Rate it.
The first and third lines have too many syllables.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah. Tekken in and of itself has more reach than SNK and has done better than Street Fighter. Though I think, mechanically SNK games have influenced other games in the genre more, similar to Street Fighter also creating things that would become staples of the genre. Though for a time, there were games that tried to ape or be influenced by Tekken's style(let alone it's older brother Virtua Fighter), they didn't stick around as long. Though Soul Calibur still feels Tekken's influence. DOA takes more from VF and there's not as many 3D fighters to borrow from VF and Tekken now. They're used to be a lot of MK clones too, but not as much nowadays. While 2D fighting games still borrow elements from SNK and Capcom.

Then you have stuff that's been ingrained into people like Eddy Gordo being seen as cheap as a Blue Shell when playing with friends.

Like how the original run of Banjo Kazooie sold more than Super Metroid and Mega Man 2. But Mega Man and Metroid have influenced far more titles directly. That said, Mega Man and Metroid have had more than 1 or two success stories to their names. Those two, plus Castlevania have done more for games in the long run, as they have had multiple successful games to spark iterations from.

Bit of a tangent, but I do find it weird there's less indie platformers that borrow from Mario in a more direct way. Obviously the whole genre owes a lot to SMB, but not many games try to scratch that particular itch.

As for Master Chief, yeah, he'd fit in with Samus or Falcon, and tons more.
That’s a fair point about the SNK game’s legacy. Maybe they can be seen as equals? SNK influenced more, but Tekken was more popular?

I think the lack of Mario inspired indie games is because 2D Mario is as basic as it gets, as well as everyone & their mother having played atleast one. There’s a lot more room for interesting stuff with the Mega Man & Metroid styles. I’m surprised there’s not more Sonic style indie games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom