• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'm hardpressed to disagree with the exaggeration. Remember Go spawned a second set of Kanto remakes, which are somehow more polished games than the following mainline entries to the series.
There were rumors that Lets Go was in development longer than SwSh was, which would explain the extra polish.

I know people hated the artstyle, but I actually liked it tbh.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Guess who got an Xbox Series X/S aka the XSeX/S?

obviously not me, but one of you people did

D

Deleted member

Let's go is the only pokemon game in years so I can't really compare it to much... it was aight. I mean, the original game is nothing special in terms of design but Go at least tried to improve upon Kanto and nostalgia. I mean it didn't really work but still.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Lets Go honestly gets too much hate. Like, they made it abundantly clear that it's not for the core audience, and then the core audience got mad when it wasn't for them.

I honestly wonder if it got **** on because of what came after.
Well as one of those core players that never bothered playing Let's Go because it wasn't 'for me', what I got that preceded the game wasn't much more of a disappointment. I'm one of those guys that's usually a lot more chill about these things and I have in the past vehemently defended Pokemon about some of their shortcomings but now imagine how someone with a much larger ego and narcissistic complex may have felt about the game, especially if they were already ******** about previous titles.

I can recognize the game for it's strong areas and how much fun I have had with the game but when it REALLY starts to feel like a copy and paste rehash of a game(s) I have played very recently it starts to get to the point when you realize this is pretty much all it's going to be isn't it?

----

I actually think we may be hitting a new 'wave' of "getting too old for Pokemon" soon if you know what I mean.

The first happened during Gens 4 and especially 5. 5 Had some of the worst numbers in comparison to the other mainline series. (I mean oh god! 5 million in sales what ever is Pokemon going to do? what a failure!) As a result they had to rethink their strategy with getting those players back and so far the casual corner cutting nostalgia bait is what worked for the most part. What they fail to understand is that the casual corner cutting nostalgia baiting stuff is only going to hold them for so long before they start leaving again.

The money coming in from other areas of the company should be a reason to put more into their games and not an excuse to just let them flop on the sidelines like a useless Magikarp you'll never evolve into a Gyarados because it happens to be the biggest one you caught.

This time this second wave isn't really due to fans thinking they've outgrown the series but moreso fans having enough of a watered down experience. Couple this with the advent of BotW and Odyssey some of the biggest games in their respective franchises, it only feeds this inevitable crash that's probably coming.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Well as one of those core players that never bothered playing Let's Go because it wasn't 'for me', what I got that preceded the game wasn't much more of a disappointment. I'm one of those guys that's usually a lot more chill about these things and I have in the past vehemently defended Pokemon about some of their shortcomings but now imagine how someone with a much larger ego and narcissistic complex may have felt about the game, especially if they were already ******** about previous titles.

I can recognize the game for it's strong areas and how much fun I have had with the game but when it REALLY starts to feel like a copy and paste rehash of a game(s) I have played very recently it starts to get to the point when you realize this is pretty much all it's going to be isn't it?

----

I actually think we may be hitting a new 'wave' of "getting too old for Pokemon" soon if you know what I mean.

The first happened during Gens 4 and especially 5. 5 Had some of the worst numbers in comparison to the other mainline series. (I mean oh god! 5 million in sales what ever is Pokemon going to do? what a failure!) As a result they had to rethink their strategy with getting those players back and so far the casual corner cutting nostalgia bait is what worked for the most part. What they fail to understand is that the casual corner cutting nostalgia baiting stuff is only going to hold them for so long before they start leaving again.

The money coming in from other areas of the company should be a reason to put more into their games and not an excuse to just let them flop on the sidelines like a useless Magikarp you'll never evolve into a Gyarados because it happens to be the biggest one you caught.

This time this second wave isn't really due to fans thinking they've outgrown the series but moreso fans having enough of a watered down experience. Couple this with the advent of BotW and Odyssey some of the biggest games in their respective franchises, it only feeds this inevitable crash that's probably coming.
On your 2nd point, I'm starting to see it.

Gen 4/5 fans are really becoming the new genwunners, and its something nobody wants to admit. But I'm seeing the same arguments Genwunners use to bash Gen 2 and beyond are also being used to bash Gen 6 and beyond, regardless if the arguments are true or not.

And for ****s sake, can we stop pretending that Gen 5 was underrated.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
On your 2nd point, I'm starting to see it.

Gen 4/5 fans are really becoming the new genwunners, and its something nobody wants to admit. But I'm seeing the same arguments Genwunners use to bash Gen 2 and beyond are also being used to bash Gen 6 and beyond, regardless if the arguments are true or not.

Well, considering my excessive concern over who Sakurai picked to represent gen 7, and how I refuse to go back to DP because of its slowness, I cannot be a true genfour/fiver. I have betrayed my(?) people.

Also I'd only somewhat say Unova was underrated. Yes, it sold worse than DP and XY, and there were all those "lol ice cream trash bag" comments, but...it still sold 15 million. That was enough for Wikipedia to put it on its list of best-selling video games.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well that depends on what you mean by pretending to be underrated?

Is it that it doesn't deserve to be underrated because they are good games?

Or because they are crap and they deserve all the hate they get? Cuz that seems to be what you're implying when we should 'pretend' they are underrated, to which I disagree.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
is there a way to influence what pokemon you get from the Dynamax Adventures?

I think I've seen everything but Tapu Fini, which is what I want.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

Or because they are crap and they deserve all the hate they get? Cuz that seems to be what you're implying when we should 'pretend' they are underrated, to which I disagree.
It seems like it has no fans because of comments circa 2010 and the game selling worse than every other gen.

But it still sold 15 million. There's no way BW doesn't have millions of fans.

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
is there a way to influence what pokemon you get from the Dynamax Adventures?

I think I've seen everything but Tapu Fini, which is what I want.
The only way I know of to influence a Pokemon's spawn is by having them in the front of your party to be added by Penea or whatever the **** her name is.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed

The former. Gen 5 fans act like it was some hidden gem, but I think nearly everyone has it charting the top of the best Pokemon games

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
It seems like it has no fans because of comments circa 2010 and the game selling worse than every other gen.

But it still sold 15 million. There's no way BW doesn't have millions of fans.
With pretty much every Pokemon generation you're going to have those kids (or even adults) who are playing these games for the first time. One man's Muk is another man's Garbodor. But with that said for the longest time Gen 5 was considered the black sheep of the Pokemon series with many hailing it as the worse games of the franchise. To which is something I heavily disagree with. Perhaps at one point I might have said that only because the new designs felt weird and I wasn't used to the strange region and the story being shoved in my faced every two minutes but overall at the very bare minimum the games are many moons better than what we've gotten with SwSh.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
hate is normal now...oof to it once life changes

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Personally I liked Let's Go more than SwSh. Probably in the minority though.

Am very tempted at times to make my own rankings picture.

Wario Bros.

Smash Obsessed
NNID
WarioBrose
3DS FC
0903-2806-9000
Switch FC
SW-8539-3655-2004
Reminds me that GameStop later this month will have Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee for $30.

I wasn't a fan of the demo but this sparks my interest (zero promises however). No way that game is worth $60.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Said I wouldn't get into the Pokemon discussion yet here I am...In other news...I just bought a book!

The Movie Art of Syd Mead! Can't go wrong with the king of Industrial Design!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
You'll be waiting a long time for that part of life to go away, let me tell ya.
I've been waiting centuries for Spectacular Spider-Man to come back, so waiting for hate to not be the norm is nothing in comparison

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
D

Deleted member

The reason why people consider Gen 5 underrated was because it got a lot of trash when it was more recent, especially for its Pokemon designs.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I guess a dude really can't update his avatar right now huh? It was like this yesterday too.

Last edited:

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I still consider gen 5 underrated. It sold poorly and let’s be honest people only talk about Hilda and Rosa from it because waifus.

Meanwhile Gen has great villains, a really cool sequel, a whole bunch of amazing features that made the game more refined, fun mini games like Pokestar Studios, a big cast of new Pokémon and old ones, actually story telling and characters, etc.

like it goes on and on.

Hell if you want further proof it’s underrated, Zoroark was set Up as the Lucario of the gen but never took off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom