• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

The trailer for The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard is here!

Easily loved the first film. Both Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury) and Ryan Reynolds (Deadpool) had good chemistry together. Much look forward to this one as well!

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Honestly the funniest part about this is that it's true. If you compare their respective five year peaks, Big Chungus hit far greater heights than Bugs himself.

No matter your opinion on the meme, it's arguable that Big Chungus was the most culturally relevant thing the Looney Tunes have had happen to them in years.
View attachment 311091
Or...at least until the Space Jam sequel comes out, lol.
And this is why I hate memes. The cultural ruiner. A single frame of an old Looney Tunes short barely funny in context is shared OUT of context over and over again on the internet and nobody even can explain why they think it's funny because it isn't but it gets so popular because kids are sharing it around and little kids will laugh at anything to the point where it becomes a permanent staple in pop culture that will never go away. I don't care that YOU think it's fun, because if you do then you're part of the problem!

Honestly, do you want any meme to stick around? Do you want to have to explain them to your children in 20 years? or you grandchildren in 40-50? Will you intentionally show your children your collection of "dank memes" the same way you would a beloved childhood film or show or book? And if the answer is no then STOP! Because the more popular these things get the longer they will stick around and the more you will HAVE to.

Noipoi

Howdy!
And this is why I hate memes. The cultural ruiner.
Memes are part of culture now.

I don't care that YOU think it's fun, because if you do then you're part of the problem!
What a lovely mindset.

Honestly, do you want any meme to stick around? Do you want to have to explain them to your children in 20 years? or you grandchildren in 40-50? Will you intentionally show your children your collection of "dank memes" the same way you would a beloved childhood film or show or book? And if the answer is no then STOP! Because the more popular these things get the longer they will stick around and the more you will HAVE to.
Aren’t you just a ray of sunshine?

D

Deleted member

And this is why I hate memes. The cultural ruiner. A single frame of an old Looney Tunes short barely funny in context is shared OUT of context over and over again on the internet and nobody even can explain why they think it's funny because it isn't but it gets so popular because kids are sharing it around and little kids will laugh at anything to the point where it becomes a permanent staple in pop culture that will never go away. I don't care that YOU think it's fun, because if you do then you're part of the problem!

Girl, you're taking this WAY too seriously. What did memes ever do to you?

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend

This sounds like a villain speech, of someone who does not know de wae.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It's just a JPEG, take it easy.
A jpeg that people are gonna start putting into films and shows for generations. I guarantee you that bugs will not only enter “chungus mode” in Space Jam 2 but he’ll save the day while doing it and screaming “BIG CHUNGUS!!!!!”. Because that’s what Hollywood does with memes to try and entice children and it’s pathetic and cringey and is gonna date horribly in the future.

D

Deleted member

Honestly, there once was a time when I legitimately hated memes. I couldn't stand the sight of a troll face or sans eye memes.

but that was really only cause that was literally the only thing my siblings talked about

Noipoi

Howdy!
A jpeg that people are gonna start putting into films and shows for generations. I guarantee you that bugs will not only enter “chungus mode” in Space Jam 2 but he’ll save the day while doing it and screaming “BIG CHUNGUS!!!!!”. Because that’s what Hollywood does with memes to try and entice children and it’s pathetic and cringey and is gonna date horribly in the future.
The first Space Jam is terribly dated.

If anything, I want this one to be terribly dated too. To capture the hilariously stupid spirit of the original.

Pokelego999

Smash Hero
Waiting for Latias and Latios to get a theme
Switch FC
SW-0935-8215-2605
That's like saying that because Little Billy pooped on the basketball that it's everyone else's fault for allowing him to **** on it in the first place.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Honestly, there once was a time when I legitimately hated memes. I couldn't stand the sight of a troll face or sans eye memes.

but that was really only cause that was literally the only thing my siblings talked about
I was exactly the same too but the whole Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman and Godzilla, Kong, and Gamera comparisons I've made lead to me embracing them.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Regarding Space Jam now that it was mentioned, doesn't anyone find it pretty hypocritical that they removed Pepe le Pew due to "****" yet has a child eater like Pennywise and the cast from The Clockwork Orange who commits actual **** among those in the crowd?

The hypocrisy of cancel culture is real...

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
Explain yourself Croagunk! Like I watched it as a kid by myself in like... 2010 and I didn’t not understand anything in it.
Dated doesn’t mean impossible to get outside of its time period.

You can’t tell me Space Jam doesn’t ooze mid 90s. There’s no other time where it could’ve come out being the way it is. The references, the jokes, everything. If it came out in 2006, or 2016, It would’ve been completely different.

I watched it as a kid in 2009, and I got it. But I also realize now how much of a 90s movie it really is.

D

Deleted member

For me, memes are funny because they're usually short jokes that setup the punchline immediately and are easy to digest.

Like the whole mmm cow meme going around right now.
it's funny, not because it makes a funny pun or cleverly uses words to invoke a reaction, but just from the sheer absurdity of the entire premise.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Regarding Space Jam now that it was mentioned, doesn't anyone find it pretty hypocritical that they removed Pepe le Pew due to "*" yet has a child eater like Pennywise and the cast from The Clockwork Orange who commits actual * among those in the crowd?

The hypocrisy of cancel culture apparently...
I know jack about what you're talking about but I feel like there's a difference with a cartoon character in a children show doing no-no stuff and characters/monsters doing no-no stuff in movie intented for adults.

Noipoi

Howdy!
If Cancel Culture is real, then why am I seeing a new Butch Hartman controversy every two weeks?

Checkmate Liberals.
If he’s saved himself from cancel culture, he can’t be doing it alone. He must have some kind of assistance, magical assistance. Like the kind of assistance you would get from

FAIRY GOD PARENTS

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
For me, memes are funny because they're usually short jokes that setup the punchline immediately and are easy to digest.

Like the whole mmm cow meme going around right now.
it's funny, not because it makes a funny pun or cleverly uses words to invoke a reaction, but just from the sheer absurdity of the entire premise.
Man i miss Barnyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom