• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
One thing I'm noticing right out the gate with Xenoblade 2 is that the voice over feels a bit wonky. It sounds like the actors weren't given the full context for their lines, or were directed poorly. That aside, I love this game's presentation, and the story so far is very interesting!
That's because the voice direction is laughably bad. You have some dumbasses who insist it's perfect but Skye Bennett, who plays Pyra and Mythra, said the voice direction was bad herself.
If I recall wasn't one of the reasons due to how limited the resources was or something? I remember how for Xenoblade 1 (I think) the English VA's were allowed to listen to the tracks in Japanese.

It's really a game where the Japanese track stands out and some characters are also influenced by who is roughly designed in mind to voice.

I mean really, Tetsuya Nomura and the Xenoblade 2 team made Jin with Takahiro Sakurai (Cloud's VA) in mind no doubt about that. Or how Zeke is voiced by Kenjiro Tsuda who has that weird slow and drunk Yakuza sounding voice.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Yeah, the voice acting in Xeno 2 feels very “boxed”

Like thrown into a recording booth, “say these lines”, here’s your paycheck, see ya later.
Also kinda sucks for the voice actors too since they don't really know what to do, I imagine. I've had times where I've been provided no context for a scene whatsoever, so I kinda just have to wing it and hope the end product turns out good.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
If I recall wasn't one of the reasons due to how limited the resources was or something? I remember how for Xenoblade 1 (I think) the English VA's were allowed to listen to the tracks in Japanese.

It's really a game where the Japanese track stands out and some characters are also influenced by who is roughly designed in mind to voice.

I mean really, Tetsuya Nomura and the Xenoblade 2 team made Jin with Takahiro Sakurai (Cloud's VA) in mind no doubt about that. Or how Zeke is voiced by Kenjiro Tsuda who has that weird slow and drunk Yakuza sounding voice.
It was single take recordings, y'know, worse than SA1's voice direction. For some ****ing reason this is gonna be a mainstay for the series as DE's Future Connected seems to use the same studio as a lot of the lines felt awkward in that too, especially compared to the base game which kept the old VA work

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Also kinda sucks for the voice actors too since they don't really know what to do, I imagine. I've had times where I've been provided no context for a scene whatsoever, so I kinda just have to wing it and hope the end product turns out good.
That's part of the reason why outside a few exceptions like a few games from Square Enix or Xenoblade 1 I stick to Japanese track. Also helps me learning the language but after hearing the inner workings of the dubbing industry like Xenoblade 2 it's kinda sad as it feels such a massive disconnect.

Wish some of the English VA's weren't given vague names for it all like "Project Zero or Project Another World Attack" and vague wording. Let them look at enough content they need. Needs to be better connection between all sides if you want the best product.

Give them a good 1 hour slice of the game, character artwork, good descriptions of their personalities etc but not too much. Heck even if possible get some of the VAs to build good chemistry between each other, hell even put them in a room together for an hour to chat is better than nothing.

I know dubbing is a hard process but it could so a lot more rather than keeping it vague for the sake of leaks. If they leak **** then fine them or whatever.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
It was single take recordings, y'know, worse than SA1's voice direction. For some ****ing reason this is gonna be a mainstay for the series as DE's Future Connected seems to use the same studio as a lot of the lines felt awkward in that too, especially compared to the base game which kept the old VA work
Wow, really? That’s kind of disappointing. I have DE but haven’t gotten around to it yet cause I wanted to finish 2 but that’s crazy.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Wow, really? That’s kind of disappointing. I have DE but haven’t gotten around to it yet cause I wanted to finish 2 but that’s crazy.
Melia sounds super awkward which makes sense as Jenna Coleman's been busy with bigger ****, but the Nopon sound exactly the same as in 2. Worst yet, they kept that goddamn "meh meh" trait, which did not appear in 1 at all, so having all Nopon suddenly screech "MEH MEH" makes me want to replicate Van Gogh. To make it worse, you will ALWAYS have a Nopon in your party because **** you accept Reyn and Sharla clones and Nopon are a gameplay mechanic that replace the chain attack, so you'll have to seek out the ****ers to have a 'I win' button because Red Comet is ****ing broken

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Wanted to share this. Because I didn't know they were showcasing it today.

He looks cool. I'm doing okay, just taking my time with myself like little baby steps. I went to a party and I did alright. Alright then, see ya. :nifty:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

He looks cool. I'm doing okay, just taking my time with myself like little baby steps. I went to a party and I did alright. Alright then, see ya. :nifty:
Good to hear you're feeling a bit better, mate.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!

Good to hear, bud.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Idk man, you have a big holiday title and that's the best you can do? No direction, no context and only a single recording? Nintendo deserves all the flak for allowing that to happen
Oh I'm not saying it isn't stupid, it absolutely is. I just mean that if they're paying by the hour, one take per line saves money. This is Nintendo, though. Unless their voice over budget was absurdly low, which I doubt it was, one take per line makes no sense to me. Then again, neither does no directing.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I mean. All I saw is that level 3 and that you need to be able to use a move 7 times to make it OHKO. Though yeah that sounds pretty dumb, especially if he gets it as an assist like how base Goku's Spirit Bomb charge assist
Him gaining DBs through an invincible DP is also unga bunga dumb, especially since it's also an assist.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
SSJ4 Gogeta is actually pay to win.
I'm honestly surprised at his lack of projectiles, but at least it makes him distinct from Gogeta Blue. I'm guessing any team with him and UI Goku is designed to make you feel bad tho.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I'm honestly surprised at his lack of projectiles, but at least it makes him distinct from Gogeta Blue. I'm guessing any team with him and UI Goku is designed to make you feel bad tho.
His lack of Ki Blasts and lack of a low 2L is probably the two things they used to "balance" him.
I'm sorry, his DP gives him what not and it's an assist? What the ** stops him from spamming it to get 6 Sparkings off or some **?
Maybe cooldown. Like, idk why they wanna make a DP give off Dragon Balls AND have a hitbox AND be fully invincible AND be an assist.

Like, that's blatantly pay to win.

Guh-Huzzah!

Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Look at him. My baby boy, moving up in the world.
Oh I ain't movin' on up, I just know chaotic people who would make things like this for some reason.

Guh. You're in a game.

It's a mod yeah, but

Guh. You're in a ****ing game.
Still pretty weird. I've had my voice over and name in games before, but not my character itself, haha.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Boy, it sure is a good thing the Dragon Balls are supposed to show up once per game, other wise he could just get Shenron all day.

Got Mario 3D All Stars.

It's pretty nice. I started with Sunshine cause nostalgia.

How y'all doing?
Doin' alright. I've got Commissions Open and some T shirts for sale. Gonna try and come up with new designs soon. Of course something more stable would be nice, but with Covid and all, it ain't easy.

I have a feeling it’ll be one of those nights where I’m up until 4 in the morning drawing.

But that’s art, baby.
Yeah some days are like that. I'm probably gonna chill until Monday, unless an idea really speaks to me.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Maybe cooldown. Like, idk why they wanna make a DP give off Dragon Balls AND have a hitbox AND be fully invincible AND be an assist.

Like, that's blatantly pay to win.
GT Goku wasn't any different when he came out two or three years ago, he was in the same boat. All of the DLC has been pretty busted this season in one way or another except kefla lmao. While his toolkit is impressive, Dragon Balls as-is are an underutilized mechanic that no one ever uses. Not to mention that you can also steal Shenron from them if you have more meter and auto combo them. There is a risk to grabbing the Dragon Balls.

They still have more to reveal later tonight, and I'm hoping that segment comes with character patch notes and Goku Black/Zamas/Frieza buffs. They're the only ones who are really needing something to help them back up. Majin Buu could as well, but the only thing that would significantly benefit him is an increase to his LVL3 damage.

Last edited:

DerpingPikachu

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5074-6946-5113
I sometimes wish i was well known for something. Im not good at drawing so im not recognized for that, , im not famous for taiko even tho I try hard at that too.

Whst do I have to do to get a bit a reconition onbthe internet beside pander to creeps
Same honestly lol

Perhaps if I made an art project more than every once in like 6 months I would be. Hm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom