• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social THE Social Thread 2.0

Which was your favorite new Pokémon revealed from the Scarlet and Violet trailer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
It doesn’t work that way

I don’t recall him reiterating that FP1 was it over and over back in 2019, but I could be remembering wrong.

Look I’m not saying to can’t happen, but I’m saying getting your hopes up for it probably won’t work out.

But hey, if you wanna get your hopes up then go ahead. I know how important it is for you to hope. Don’t let me stomp all over your hope.

How I want to be free of the gamer curse

View attachment 306194
Has he? Because for as much as people quote Sakurai saying this in regards to Fighter's Pass 1, I legit cannot find anything unless I'm looking in the wrong places, on top of "More DLC" being announced alongside Banjo's release.

Like, I'm down for a 3rd pass no doubt, but he said it with Min Min, and then he said it not once, but twice with P/M.

My stance is to NOT expect a 3rd pass, so if one happens, then I'll be pleasantly surprised, and if it doesn't? Well, I was told 3 times it wasn't coming.
I don't know. It just feels.. I don't know what sane buisnessman would allow this to end.

Also, I feel like people quoting him as saying "this is it, no more after this" are exaggerating his statements for the sake of pessimism.

I want to say "I know I'm probably wrong" but I just can't. Because the DLC for this game has not really lived up to Smash's reputation as a whole. And regardless of who the last two fighters are it just can not make that up in that time. Another pass could put a nice bow on the roster and give it a real sense of completion.

And tangent here, but truthfully, I am a little miffed that I entered the Smash community when the general mindset that "Smash is special, if you make it in you've made it big, and only the most important characters should make it" and now I'm expected to just ditch that whole philosophy and accept it as just "lol, Sakurai does whatever he wants! It's just a game bruh!". That's just... frustrating. So god damn frustrating. You can't just make something go from uber meaningful to ultra meaningless and expect people to be okay with that.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......
Got around to reading about Mario Kart Tour and it's courses. They really should have kept the "course on real cities" idea for Mario Kart 9. Call it Mario Kart Road Trip World or something.

Have half the tracks based on real cities and the other half on retro plus spare one for Antarctica. Might do a pitch later if anyone is interested.

Wouldn't be heavy on gimmicks though.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
I don't know. It just feels.. I don't know what sane buisnessman would allow this to end.

Also, I feel like people quoting him as saying "this is it, no more after this" are exaggerating his statements for the sake of pessimism.

I want to say "I know I'm probably wrong" but I just can't. Because the DLC for this game has not really lived up to Smash's reputation as a whole. And regardless of who the last two fighters are it just can not make that up in that time. Another pass could put a nice bow on the roster and give it a real sense of completion.

And tangent here, but truthfully, I am a little miffed that I entered the Smash community when the general mindset that "Smash is special, if you make it in you've made it big, and only the most important characters should make it" and now I'm expected to just ditch that whole philosophy and accept it as just "lol, Sakurai does whatever he wants! It's just a game bruh!". That's just... frustrating. So god damn frustrating. You can't just make something go from uber meaningful to ultra meaningless and expect people to be okay with that.
well Smash is just a game at the end of the day, the people who argue stuff like “only the most high-profile characters deserve to be in this uber-special hall of fame that trumps everything else” are just gatekeeping and being jerks, usually treating their argument as fact just so they can put others’ wants down even if their wants also fit the argument.

imo the roster is already pretty big and has been good for Smash’s reputation. Not like it’s the only good, special game.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

This DLC has MORE than lived up to Smash's reputation as a whole, it's completely blown out 4's DLC no contest, and that game only got 7 characters, 3 of which were veterans.

Also, never, and I repeat, NEVER, follow the herd when it comes to a community. Remember how Doom Slayer was an obvious front runner? Or Geno? Or Monster Hunter? Or Heihachi? Or KOS-MOS? Or.... need I go on? "Smash is Special" is nothing but starry-eyed fans looking past that Smash is first and foremost a glorified commercial.

That's not a bad thing, depending how you look at it though. You could look at it like a cynical ******* and say "It's all advertising! Nothing but shilling! Everything I love is dead!", or be like me, who knows it is, but still loves it because holy ****ing **** Banjo.

Noipoi

Howdy!
What the **** am I doing in Friday Night Funkin'-
View attachment 306200
This was like, a joke between me and a few friends, and now one of them is actually modding it into the game, oh man.
Bro that’s lit as ****

What the hell do you mean dlc hasn’t lived up to Smash’s reputation? Joker, Hero, Steve, Sephiroth, Banjo Kazooie? These are huge names!

And even if they weren’t, I don’t think Nintendo cares. We, the fans, place this huge importance on who and where and why a character gets in. But Nintendo does it how they want to do it, regardless of what we think. You can’t try and apply fan logic here, it doesn’t work.

Last edited:

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
Because the DLC for this game has not really lived up to Smash's reputation as a whole.
Personal opinions on the fighters aside, you can't deny that they got some big names here. Not being a character you care about doesn't mean it doesn't live up to Smash's reputation.

Dutch Raikuna

Life's a sweet bitter beauty song.......

We got a **** load characters and content, probably more in there than half of most games of it's genre. It hasn't been perfect for me but I'm not really nitpicky in my choices. I've gotten one of my most wanted at least in a way.

If there is one thing I'm worried about it is how whether the DLC will smooth nicely for a finish.

Another pass? Nah.

Something like a thank you for playing stage or character plus a completely redone "Everyone is Here!" Trailer with all the newcomers included? That's perfect.

D

Deleted member

Saying that “the dlc hasn’t lived up to Smash’s expectations” when we have characters like :ultsephiroth: and :ultsteve: is a bit of an odd take but okay

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member

My expectations were Rex, Fire emblem and Pokémon.

And I mean, while is was mostly right, we got so much more than that.
Honestly I don’t really care that much enough to have expectations: I just like the dopamine rush :4pacman:

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Pfioooooou, good to know.

Was worried for a sec because I know this kind of jokes can come across in very bad taste to some peoples, or even peoples that are usually cool with it if done at the wrong time.

Soooooo yeah, glad we're cool! :grin:
Omori memes are literally the best

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I mean, Smash IS his art project, and season 2 of smash is just him filling in holes he thought were left wide open in his art project, if he sayd he doesnt want to continue, why fight it?

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I have been overall happy with both dlc packs so far. Been on smashboards since 2006, made account in 2007. The brawl days and wanting ridley was awesome. Now he in. Awesome.

But, big names like banjo were ever present. For dlc having hero and banjo was a massive hype win for east and west. and given i love fighting games, terry was also a super win.

For pack 2, steve and sephiroth knocked it out of the park. Steve is a perfect addition and is super fun to play.

I think for me personally, most newer characters were less interesting, but that is because i am so far from 12 now, it is expected. But i love min min. And pyra. And even am ok with byleth and joker.

Now did i get who i want? Oh hell no. Goemon was mii'ed. Bandana dee is mia. KOSMOS is forgotten. And amy is just sidelined.

But i am happy with what we got. I found fun.

D

Deleted member

I have been overall happy with both dlc packs so far. Been on smashboards since 2006, made account in 2007. The brawl days and wanting ridley was awesome. Now he in. Awesome.

But, big names like banjo were ever present. For dlc having hero and banjo was a massive hype win for east and west. and given i love fighting games, terry was also a super win.

For pack 2, steve and sephiroth knocked it out of the park. Steve is a perfect addition and is super fun to play.

I think for me personally, most newer characters were less interesting, but that is because i am so far from 12 now, it is expected. But i love min min. And pyra. And even am ok with byleth and joker.

Now did i get who i want? Oh hell no. Goemon was mii'ed. Bandana dee is mia. KOSMOS is forgotten. And amy is just sidelined.

But i am happy with what we got. I found fun.
Honestly a pretty similar tale for me, all of my wants(sans Agumon) are too obscure to actually get in, but I'm content with what we got. (*so far anyway)

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
well Smash is just a game at the end of the day, the people who argue stuff like “only the most high-profile characters deserve to be in this uber-special hall of fame that trumps everything else” are just gatekeeping and being jerks, usually treating their argument as fact just so they can put others’ wants down even if their wants also fit the argument.

imo the roster is already pretty big and has been good for Smash’s reputation. Not like it’s the only good, special game.
I agree that people can be real big bullies with that mentality. But, IMO. Smash looses so much of it's appeal, some of what they're even marketing it on with the whole "celebration of gaming history" angle, when it becomes just "whatever random thing Nintendo and Sakurai decide to do". It's one of the reasons people on both sides of the game (developers and fans alike) fight so hard to keep non-gaming characters out of it.

I don't know. I just feel like if you put me down at the very announcement and asked me to map out Smash's roster based on personal tastes, upcoming marketing tactics, and perception of the communities desires you'ed get a very different roster then what we got. Or at the very least a bigger one.

I still want them to try to get to 100 fighters. In fact, Pyra and Mythra having unique numbers actually gets them one step closer to that goal.

This DLC has MORE than lived up to Smash's reputation as a whole, it's completely blown out 4's DLC no contest, and that game only got 7 characters, 3 of which were veterans.

Also, never, and I repeat, NEVER, follow the herd when it comes to a community. Remember how Doom Slayer was an obvious front runner? Or Geno? Or Monster Hunter? Or Heihachi? Or KOS-MOS? Or.... need I go on? "Smash is Special" is nothing but starry-eyed fans looking past that Smash is first and foremost a glorified commercial.

That's not a bad thing, depending how you look at it though. You could look at it like a cynical ******* and say "It's all advertising! Nothing but shilling! Everything I love is dead!", or be like me, who knows it is, but still loves it because holy *ing * Banjo.
I don't get how you can think about it like that. To me, that just takes so much away from the game's identity. Even it's whole reason for existing.

I don't know. Again, we'll have to see who comes next and if they really are the last characters. But.... sighs. There really is no point to this. I can't change anyone's minds any more then you can change mine. What's even the point of anything anymore.
Bro that’s lit as ****

What the hell do you mean dlc hasn’t lived up to Smash’s reputation? Joker, Hero, Steve, Sephiroth, Banjo Kazooie? These are huge names!

And even if they weren’t, I don’t think Nintendo cares. We, the fans, place this huge importance on who and where and why a character gets in. But Nintendo does it how they want to do it, regardless of what we think. You can’t try and apply fan logic here, it doesn’t work.
Personal opinions on the fighters aside, you can't deny that they got some big names here. Not being a character you care about doesn't mean it doesn't live up to Smash's reputation.
We got a **** load characters and content, probably more in there than half of most games of it's genre. It hasn't been perfect for me but I'm not really nitpicky in my choices. I've gotten one of my most wanted at least in a way.

If there is one thing I'm worried about it is how whether the DLC will smooth nicely for a finish.

Another pass? Nah.

Something like a thank you for playing stage or character plus a completely redone "Everyone is Here!" Trailer with all the newcomers included? That's perfect.
I don't know. Just being big names... it... sighs. I don't know. It just doesn't feel right. The first... okay, second newcomer revealed for this game was friggin Ridley. They rode that train until the infamous Kencineroar direct, breifly recaptured the magic for the first three DLC characters, and then fell off again until right about now with no sign that it will get better besides a potential orange marsupial. That just does not feel like the way to end this game.

And I have to ask, where am I supposed to go once this game is over? Like, I still want to hang around and talk with you guys but I can't imagine how much longer that's gonna stick when Smash is no longer getting new expansions. I remember how I used to go on the Killer Instinct forums every day and it was such a thriving community constantly talking about this game, and related other nerdy stuff. But then the game stopped getting new characters and the board has basically been a ghost town. What's gonna replace Smash? What other game is going to come along that can really hold the attention of practically the entire world like a good TV show or film series and have hundreds of people all gathered together talking about it for such a long stretch of time. Mortal Kombat aint gonna do that. Street Fighter aint gonna do that. And even then I can only imagine how much more detached I'll become from the gaming community (which I am already pretty damn detached from to the point of frustration) now that next gen has come and I can't get ahold of one of the new consoles. So everyone keeps on playing and talking about new releases and I'm just left behind again growing ever more lonley and.....

Aw whatever. You guys hate it when I enter one of these kinds of funks. So I guess I should stop. It's kind of telling that I don't have any really angry or emotional responses to this this time. Because i'm not riled up and ready to rant. I'm just disappointed, sad, and scared.

Shroob

Sup?
I don't get how you can think about it like that. To me, that just takes so much away from the game's identity. Even it's whole reason for existing.

I don't know. Again, we'll have to see who comes next and if they really are the last characters. But.... sighs. There really is no point to this. I can't change anyone's minds any more then you can change mine. What's even the point of anything anymore.
Because, it is. It's a crossover event, but it also works as free promotional material. When say, DC or Marvel heroes team up in their big, annual crossover events, sure, part of it is to tell a cool story, but another part is to bring to light characters that readers may not know of and get eyes on them. Smash has always been one giant commercial to me, alongside being a pseudo-hall of fame, but I don't hate it for being a commercial, I adore it.

It's all about how you look at it. If you're set in your mind that "ONLY THE BEST!" are allowed in, you're going to be disappointed.

For me?

"Haha, Plant spit bol."

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
And I have to ask, where am I supposed to go once this game is over?
Gonna be honest, it isn't healthy to rely on any game this heavily.

We’re 100 episodes in and not even halfway done.

Enjoy.
Honestly if there's a shorter let's play I may just watch that, but I dunno, I've heard Chugga's stuff is good. I just gotta decide if I want something shorter that still gets the whole game across, or something shorter but more in depth-

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Kind of hard to complain when there's almost 90 characters. Hell most of the DLC I'm a bit positive towards. I can at least say Terry Bogard was sick as hell. I think Banjo, Hero, Sephiroth and even Min-Min were neat choices. I get that people hate Min-Min's playstyle, but since I play Mega Man, I guess it's not as bad in my case as it is for others.

Now, since there is two more fighters, I'll still hope there's a couple that interest me in particular, but that's not much else different from before I think. Not to say I like every DLC choice, but its easy to not really care that much that FE#8 and John Minecraft are in when you also get the One-Winged Angel and the Legendary Hungry Wolf.

Base game brought back everyone and I got Ridley, Dark Samus and Simon. Not to mention Ken too. I also like Incineroar. Though I never really main any Pokemon, I do use him and Greninja casually.

If there's a Season 3, cool. If not, It's been a wild ride. I said the same thing about Season 1, but I guess I'm fairly easy to please.

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I still want them to try to get to 100 fighters. In fact, Pyra and Mythra having unique numbers actually gets them one step closer to that goal.
You know if we count each individual alt skin that's a different character (Notched Ear Pichu, Pikachu libre, Alph, the heroes, Shiny Incineroar etc, etc) I think were close to 100, if not at the number already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom