• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snorlax Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Hey guys, long time no see.

I took a stroll across the internet and made my way back here. It's good to see that the PokeCenter is thriving.

So I've got a busy semester ahead of me at Uni and every so often I am going to need a break. I came to ask whether Black and White is all it's cracked up to be? I've read a couple of reviews and tidbits here and they are generally positive, but I'd like to ask you guys (who, in the past, I have found to be pretty reliable). No need to be particularly objective, opinion is important too.

Obviously I'm someone who in the past has thoroughly enjoyed Pokemon games, much the same as most of you. So have you enjoyed this game as much as earlier games in the franchise? How does it compare?

I apologise in advance if this isn't appropriate for the thread, but I dare not risk the game being spoiled for me by entering the Black and White thread and I wasn't sure whether opinion about the game as a whole is covered in the Q&A thread.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Yeah, I'd definitely say this is the best thread to ask that question.

Anyway, from my personal experience, Black and White are most certainly what they're cracked up to be. I won't go into too many specifics, but they made a lot of little tweaks that really make the games more playable and enjoyable, the plot is actually pretty intriguing and works with the flow of the game (it feels much less formulaic to me with the way they worked everything in), and I'm very fond of the Unova region and its Pokémon.

I've definitely enjoyed Black more than any of the fourth gen games thus far. It's hard for me to say about the others since I played them for the first time so long ago, but fifth gen certainly looks like it'll end up as one of my favorites.

tl;dr: Black and White are definitely all they're cracked up to be.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Well, from what I can tell, B/W is all it's cracked up to be. With more Pokemon that actually look like something from Earth, and others based off of machines and celestial themes, it got better overall from the other Gens past 3. People are talking about it even outside of the normal circles, so it's definitely gaining some attention. It's probably because of the new, constant motion sprites.

I would say more, but I really can't because I don't have it. I know a close friend who's enjoying it and I've heard of people getting B/W that have only played RB/GSC before. I'd get White myself, if I wasn't saving up for Okamiden tomorrow :3

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Only on the 4th gym so far but I'm going to go on a limb and say this (Pkm White) is my favorite Pokemon game since Gen 2 for a bunch of reasons:

- As Firus already stated the game (in terms of storyline) is finally branching off from the norm and creates a pretty darn story thanks to arguably the most controversial topic in Pokemon yet; are Pokemon treated as slaves? And if so should they be freed?
- I really like the Unova region as a whole. I love the "city feel" it has and the Pokemon match up with the city theme quite well to create their own unique identities.
- A whole new group of Pokemon (while I'm having a bit of a rough time warming up to quite a bit of them) truly makes the experience feel nearly as fresh as the series was when we first played Red and Blue. I HAVEN'T SEEN A SINGLE ZUBAT YET. THAT'S A MIRACLE UNTO ITSELF.
- The music so far has been superb when compared to Gens 3 and 4!
- The Pokemon animations in battles are a great, long awaited, and welcome addition to the series.
- A lot of little things that make the game a whole lot better such as the C gear, re-usable TMs, faster battle paces, better graphics, etc.

If I could get these **** nostalgia glasses off I could go ahead and say this has been the best Pokemon game yet and it deserves all of the praise it has been getting!

10/10

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
When I was younger, of course! :p

Even now I do, but I only watch Japanese versions. Ash's new English voice is bleh.

Btw, I reccomend the Japanese version of the Zorua movie to everyone. It's a super good story and absolutely gorgeous as far as animation goes.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
That was its mother :/ And I thought it was cute D: It's not like he does it to the point where it gets annoying, because there's so much other stuff going on that keeps your mind on the plot. It seemed pretty balanced to me.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i didnt like the movie, the pokemon plots are bad. but given that it's pokemon, the action is sometimes quite good

that said, zoroark was totally badass in that movie

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
I'd rather fight a bunch of Zubat/Golbat instead of Boldore, tbh. At least Zubat/Golbat only require hitting once. ****ing Sturdy.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
yeah sturdy wild pokemon are quite annoying. LOL.

woobat >>>>>>>>>>> zubat

annoying wild pokemon:

- sturdy roggenrola/boldore
- basculin, is this the ONLY POKEMON I SEE while surfing?
- frillish. why are you guys only like level 7~13...? at least give me some exp.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
Do I wait and get a Synchronizer brought over to catch decent legendaries, or just catch them and use Pokegen to re-create them even better. Or catch decent ones to make trophies and still do what I said? D:

M.K

Level 55
Fixed.

Anyways, yeah, the only part of me is the lack of types that have been "woah" in the past.
But, they aren't like....annoyingly "woah too much".
Like Water type for example. If you don't nab a Wotter, then you're left with two colored Bass, a handjob fish, a drugged up monkey, two bloated ghost baloons, or a cancer-warted frog. I'm so use to seeing like...multiple water types through the game.

However, 5th gen is seriously one of my favorites. It's....so great.

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
- basculin, is this the ONLY POKEMON I SEE while surfing?
Good for EV training though. Although I do agree that there should be more in most bodies of water.

Agreed. My only real problems with Gen V thus far are the wild encounter rate (I swear it's higher this gen...I find it hard to make it between Routes without needing to heal due to a lack of PP, which I swear I never had to worry about before) and the lack of ability to skip the egg hatching animation. The former is aggravating me to the point where I'm starting to just avoid battles (which I've never done before), and the latter is just a minor problem that I find. You'd think by now they'd make it so you could hit A to skip it. Especially since the animation seems to actually be longer than before.

And 58 Joltiks later, still not what I'm looking for. :( Getting a Timid Joltick w/ Compoundeyes and perfect SAtk and Spe IVs is going to take forever, even with already having everything I need to up the pace. :(

The Real Gamer

Smash Hero
3DS FC
3437-3797-6559
Fixed.

Anyways, yeah, the only part of me is the lack of types that have been "woah" in the past.
But, they aren't like....annoyingly "woah too much".
Like Water type for example. If you don't nab a Wotter, then you're left with two colored Bass, a handjob fish, a drugged up monkey, two bloated ghost baloons, or a cancer-warted frog. I'm so use to seeing like...multiple water types through the game.

I agree with this times 10 the MOST of the Water types this gen are really bad!

Out of my 50+ play-throughs of Pokemon, this is the very first time I don't have a single Water type on my main team... If you don't choose Wotter you're pretty much screwed.

Majority

Smash Journeyman
I just spent hours getting an Adamant Poison Heal Shroomish with 31 Atk and Spe IVs, and it also had 31 Def IVs as a bonus.

Then I realised Focus Punch is an egg move.

Edit: Is there any way to use the Focus Punch TM in Gen 4? Can BW trade with DPPT?

Blaziking17

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RobeezyLnP
3DS FC
1547-5531-6535
I just spent hours getting an Adamant Poison Heal Shroomish with 31 Atk and Spe IVs, and it also had 31 Def IVs as a bonus.

Then I realised Focus Punch is an egg move.

Edit: Is there any way to use the Focus Punch TM in Gen 4? Can BW trade with DPPT?
Well, you can't trade items between Gens 4 and 5 because TM 01 in BW is Hone Claws. I'd suggest evolving that Shroomish into Breloom, then teaching it Focus Punch over there in Gen 4. Then you can transfer to BW, just make sure to detach any items with it.

Majority

Smash Journeyman
Well, you can't trade items between Gens 4 and 5 because TM 01 in BW is Hone Claws. I'd suggest evolving that Shroomish into Breloom, then teaching it Focus Punch over there in Gen 4. Then you can transfer to BW, just make sure to detach any items with it.
Unfortunately, I did this in White.

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Sooooo, I got White yesterday and beat it in a non-stop 16-hour conquest. I beat the game with 3 pokemon and 3 stallers.

Serperior, Krookodile, and Unfezant. The rest were HM *****s that I would throw out so I could heal the other 3.

Also, hi everyone :3

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
i'm guessing you mean first playthrough of the elite four with the n/ghetsis story right?

i can't imagine beating it up to the lv 70+ elite four in that amount of time LMAO unless u are some pro speedrun guy

o-Serin-o

I think 56 nights crazy
Yeah, I mean first playthrough, lol. I'm just using the lvl 70+ elite four to level up the last broken half of the Gen IV roster :glare:

Seriously. All the dragons at the back of the roster, before you get to the legendaries, are ****in' ********.

EDIT: 7000th post o:

Greenstreet

Smash Champion
Thanks for the inputs to my question guys! From what I'm hearing I've got a few little surprises ahead of me. I'll enjoy the change in pace I'm sure.

If you don't nab a Wotter, then you're left with two colored Bass, a handjob fish, a drugged up monkey, two bloated ghost baloons, or a cancer-warted frog.
I can't wait to play this and try to figure out which one is the handjob fish.

Chill

Red
BRoomer
I'm not sure who the handjob fish is suppoosed to be. Basculine is the only fish pokemon in BW. You also failed to mention swan hooker and bad *** turtle.

edit: oh wait, there's aloma but I would call that the vagina pokemon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom