• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Snorlax Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Fun fact:

$75,000 is the average income where people feel happy. No more, no less. Go higher you have problems, go lower you have... different problems.
My expected average income after graduating is $68,000.

B'awwwwww

Well, I guess it's still a giant heap of money.

UberMario

Smash Master
Fun fact:

If a person saves one dollar every day from today until the end of November, they can get both Pokemon Black and White.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Fun fact:

People who study Latin have a higher lifetime income.

Obviously, you don't need to know much statistics to say that it's because people who study Latin are more ambitious and like to try new things.

But it's just an interesting tidbit.
That'd be cool to learn latin I guess. Be cool to understand all those species names scientist give to animals without a translation, but what's its actual practicality? I mean, they don't print books or have a job where you need Latin don't they?

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
[COLOR="Red"That'd be cool to learn latin I guess. Be cool to understand all those species names scientist give to animals without a translation, but what's its actual practicality? I mean, they don't print books or have a job where you need Latin don't they?[/COLOR]
IIRC, there are some areas of work where the internationally used language is Latin.

UberMario

Smash Master
Really? Could you give one example?
Biology, for example, the domesticated ferret's scientific name, Mustela putorius furo, means "little stinky mouse-eating thief". [The latin word for Mouse is Mus, furo means little thief, putorius means stinky] Another animal, the Three-lined Pencilfish, has the scientific name, "Nannostomus Trifasciatus", which literally means "small-mouth [and] three lines", which matches the appearance of this fish.

M.K

Level 55
Latin is a dead language because nobody speaks it. It's still a language that is ABLE to be spoken. My Latin teacher went to a University where she was taught to speak it. Although, most people are only taught to read it and comprehend it.
Latin is the Romantic language which every other is derived from. Romantic languages include Spanish and Italian.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Biology, for example, the domesticated ferret's scientific name, Mustela putorius furo, means "little stinky mouse-eating thief". [The latin word for Mouse is Mus, furo means little thief, putorius means stinky] Another animal, the Three-lined Pencilfish, has the scientific name, "Nannostomus Trifasciatus", which literally means "small-mouth [and] three lines", which matches the appearance of this fish.
Yeah this. Pretty much all of the binomial nomenclature method used to name species (Homo sapiens) stem from Latin origin. Thank whoever his face is, I already forgot his name. XD

UberMario

Smash Master
Who? Carl Linnaeus?

And yeah, that's a good example too. Homo Sapiens means "Similar to me and wise" or "A wise man". Homo happens to have a double-meaning, standing for "similar" in Greek and "man" in Latin.

Tacel

Smash Lord
Fun fact: The longest recorded Monopoly game played underwater was 45 days long.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Fun fact: Kirby is always angry in American box art versions of the game where in the Japanese versions he's showing a different emotion

UberMario

Smash Master
Fun Fact: I unwittingly made it impossible for each post on this page to start with the two words "fun" and "fact" without leaving the painfully visible edit note on the bottom of the post.

Tacel

Smash Lord
Fun Fact: King Dedede is the size of an average penguin, making Kirby ridiculously small (8 inches/20 centimetres to be exact), yet both are still in Super Smash Bros.

UberMario

Smash Master
Fun Fact: Bowser is never the same exact size in any of the mainstream Mario games.

XACE-K

Smash Master
Spire was Spire VIII before he stepped down from a Super Moderator. Now that he's a Senator he's Spire IX now. Makes perfect sense.
Didn't he say real life stuff was getting in the way a few weeks ago or something? I thought that when he stepped down, it would be for a longer time.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Man, I didn't think the day would ever come

I'm actually SMART this year at school. People are ACTUALLY asking me for help like every 5 minutes in Math and I actually have an idea of what half my teachers are talking about

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
I thought he was Spire VII before he stepped down
Nope. I'm pretty sure he was Spire VIII.

Didn't he say real life stuff was getting in the way a few weeks ago or something? I thought that when he stepped down, it would be for a longer time.
He did, but are we really going to complain about it? He's back to his duties. Sure we miss him Moderating the PokeCenter but he's become a Senator and has more important things to worry about.

XACE-K

Smash Master
He did, but are we really going to complain about it? He's back to his duties. Sure we miss him Moderating the PokeCenter but he's become a Senator and has more important things to worry about.
I'm not complaining, I just want to know what happened. A week or so ago I see him with as a writer and then he's a senator. As I said, I thought him stepping down would be for a longer time.

M.K

Level 55
There are alot of aspects of the SWF Staff that regular members aren't actually SUPPOSED to know. If he's not willing/able to tell us outright, I would say it'd be unfortunately disappointing trying to prod answers out.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
That's true you know. He had the orange title for like a week before we see him as a Senator. Them I'm like "wtf just happened here? I thought he quit for life"

M.K

Level 55
Yeah. As I said, the important thing is he's back. And in an evolved form. :)

So anyways. There are 11 days left until Black and White.
There are 15 days until Black and White, which comes out on the 18th.
There are like 9 days until the "massive" CoroCoro Mastery Document.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Will the 3DS be out before BW?

WARNING, SERIOUS BUSINESS BELOW

Official petition for a :Smugleaf: emotion, because it'd be eighteen different kinds of awesome.

SIGN HERE, IDIOTS

Wave+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom