• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Grand Festival Spriting Contest (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

M.K

Level 55

Introducing: Darmanibuzz!

I really love Mandibuzz, which is why I'm partially sad that I'm not getting Pokemon Black. It seems like such a badass Pokemon they they decided to stick at the end of the Pokedex for some lawls. It truly is one of my favorites. And yeah, Darmanitan is a beast that we've all come to know and love.

Seriously hyped for B/W.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Well, I decided to make my sprite anyways

Presenting to you Wararch. I really love Wargle and he's my favorite gen V pokemon so I thought I should make something with him and then I found the prehistoric bird thing and since they have the same pose nearly, I thought I should fuse them both to make Wararch

What do you guys think?

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
Recolor it more Fuelbi

Loving the Braviary/Mandibuzz combo here, lol.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings

Alright, aside from the tail and the neck, I really don't know what else I can actually recolor so I guess final submission? I dunno, I'll work on it a bit and see what I can do with it

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
yea, I know what you mean, it's pretty awkward. i followed how his hands were in the original but translating them to claws was awkward. I'll prob touch it up in a day or 2

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
oh hai

*uses revive*

Vanillish + Ferrothorn = Vanillorn!

Ice is such a ***** to sprite. I also tried to create a "Dodrio" set of emotions with the little floaty things: happy, angry, and sad from left to right, though angry sorta just looks sad...

And yes, Vanillorn is mint-flavoured. :E

EDIT: Made a few small fixes to things I didn't see in GIMP.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Hey guys, Spire's been busy with things and hasn't gotten a chance to get his scores done yet, but I know you've been kept waiting for a while, so here are my scores. Obviously Spire's scores can have an impact on the results, so this isn't final, but I figured it'd be nice for you guys to at least get a start on another prompt.

Meta-Kirby - Darmanibuzz

This sprite isn’t too complicated, but it works really well. You effectively modified Mandibuzz’s head to have the angry, fiery look of Darmanitan, while still maintaining the basic effect of Mandibuzz. Furthermore, the colors you chose to recolor Mandibuzz complement each other really well, making for a very aesthetically pleasing sprite.

9/10

Densebi - Warach

This is a decent sprite, but it’s a little awkward, mostly in the head/neck area. Braviary’s head is puffy, but its beak balances it out normally; by giving Braviary’s head Archeops’s beak, which blends more into the head, it causes the head to look a little strange. The flat and round aspect of the head is compounded by the thin, elongated neck that Braviary doesn’t normally have. I do like what you did with the tail, but other than the tail it’s difficult to fully tell that Archeops was a part in the sprite; it looks like a repose of Braviary on first glance.

6/10

Chibo - Crustldurr

You tackled a pretty interesting combination here, and I like what you did with it, but I do feel like you could’ve done some more with it. You did a good job with the face and the claws, and I like how you made Conkeldurr’s pillars have the look of the dirt on Crustle’s back; however, there isn’t a whole lot in the sprite to differentiate it from Conkeldurr, ultimately. Perhaps you could’ve made Conkeldurr more insect-like or removed his pillars and had him holding dirt on his back to add more to the sprite. Despite the simplicity of the sprite, however, I do like it overall.

8/10

Sir Bedevere - Vanillorn

This sprite totally blew me away. I’m not a fan of Vanilluxe at all, but Vanillorn is awesome to the extent that I wish it and a line of similar Pokémon could replace that line altogether. You effectively represented both Ferrothorn and Vanilluxe in the sprite, making Ferrothorn’s main body resemble an ice cream cone but in a much less obvious way than Vanilluxe, which makes it more appealing in concept to me. You also changed Ferrothorn’s appendages, I suppose you could call them, to be heads, going along with the theme of multiple heads within Vanilluxe. Even aside from how you fused the two conceptually, you did a good job fusing the two artistically as well. The sprite truly looks icy; the “cone” in particular looks great, but the whole sprite truly gives off a chill. Great job on this sprite.

10/10​

This week's prompt:

Create an alternate form of Sawsbuck based on a climate not represented by the seasons (e.g. desert, mountain, beach, etc.)

The deadline is Friday, April 1st at 11:59 PM EST.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Due to time constraints, Spire has resigned from the position of judge, so my scores alone will be used to determine the winner for this round.

As such, congratulations to Sir Bedevere not only for winning this round, but for being the first contestant to win more than one round!

Spire

III
BRoomer
I really hope the absolute best for the future of this contest. Whoever replaces me, have a great time judging and enjoy the opportunity for all its worth.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I'm taking a break. I did not outright resign, however I have not been invested in staffing at all over the past few weeks and thus do not feel privileged to wear the red name and operate as a staffer. This break could end up indefinite, who knows. We'll see how things play out.

I don't feel as connected with smashboards or even the internet much anymore. I've succumbed to traditional painting. Art is my life right now and I'm loving it. In this time, I need it.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
I'm taking a break. I did not outright resign, however I have not been invested in staffing at all over the past few weeks and thus do not feel privileged to wear the red name and operate as a staffer. This break could end up indefinite, who knows. We'll see how things play out.

I don't feel as connected with smashboards or even the internet much anymore. I've succumbed to traditional painting. Art is my life right now and I'm loving it. In this time, I need it.
in·def·i·nite

adj \(ˌ)in-ˈdef-nət, -ˈde-fə-\
Definition of INDEFINITE

: not definite: asa : typically designating an unidentified, generic, or unfamiliar person or thing <the indefinite articles a and an> <indefinitepronouns>b : not precise : vaguec : having no exact limits

indefinite noun
in·def·i·nite·ly adverb
in·def·i·nite·ness noun

I think you mean, your leave is indefinite, and you just might now come back. :lick:

Spire

III
BRoomer
Yeah something like that. I'm freaking tired (like super tired) and I need to powernap before I go to work in 2.5 hours.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Last time I resigned for the wrong reasons. I was not content with resigning in the first place; it was mainly to just get away from staff and regather myself. This time it's not about getting away from staff, it's about hanging up a mantle that I need not wear right now. I can't explain it any more than that.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I really like the umbrella idea, but what's that on the other antler? Also, the sunglasses look weird.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
Yay, thanks for the new ball mods. :)

Good luck with your art, Spire. Hope we get a replacement judge soon!

My entry, Reefbuck:

Kantrip

Kantplay
I've wanted to try spriting for a while, I just want to make sure I'm starting on the right foot. I should use Paint? Also, where can I find a Sawsbuck sprite that doesn't paste with a black background?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
You can use whatever painting program you want. I think MK uses Paint and he makes sprites to the caliber of other people who use stuff like Photoshop or GIMP. Hell, some people even use Paint.net and come up with good results so it's more of personal preference than anything.

About the Sawsbuck sprite, it depends what browser you're on. I think Google Chrome pastes it in black if you get it from there while other browsers like Firefox paste it transparently (or at least for me it does). If you get it in black you'll either have to cut that out when editing the sprites, or you'll have to use some other browser and hope for the best

And damn, what happened to Spire taking a break?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom