• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Grand Festival Spriting Contest (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Just wanted to quickly note that I have not forgotten about this contest and I have not abandoned it. However, because I'm so busy with finals at the moment, I don't have time to do so much as think about this contest. I'll start my revival of the contest next week.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Apologies for the triple post, but this contest is starting up again. I'm going with an old prompt that was extremely popular to see if we can get similar interest again, and I'm also going to to extend the deadline by a week. Hopefully, we'll see some more activity in the contest this round.

Retype Charizard. You may change Fire, Flying, or both. However, you cannot change Fire to Flying and vice versa. You may drop a type so Charizard may end up either single or dual typed.

The deadline is Friday, May 11th at 11:59 PM EST.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Wow, no works in progress or anything. :0 No love for Charizard...

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
All right, so as I predicted, the extended deadline didn't seem to help. Maybe this was a bad prompt (odd, considering its popularity last time, though I guess the situation has changed a bit), but either way, we got no entries.

I know I said we were going to do one last test and all and I was debating closing down the contest and all. But after a little bit of deliberation, I've decided that it really isn't much effort to keep it running, so unless it gets to a point where we haven't had a legitimate contest in the rounds in a long time, I'll keep posting up prompts, doing the old timespan of a week, and we'll see where things go from here.

Just thought I'd let you guys know, for anybody monitoring the thread and wondering, since the deadline ended a few days ago. To keep it on track with the old schedule of Friday to Friday, I'll put up the new prompt this Friday.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
Do you seriously not understand why this contest has lost participation? The life of this project has been over ever since you started seeing zero / one player entries. The problem is not the prompts, the problem is not deadlines, the problem is not your running of the project. All of these aspects are perfectly fine. There are simply nowhere near enough people interested in actively participating in this anymore. I was accused / ragged on in the past for running projects when there clearly were not enough people participating anymore and it's the same deal here. This was a good project, Firus but it's time you moved on. Considering the current level activity in this forum, perhaps the design project will suffice. Or work with the community to see what kinds of projects they would like to see.

I just can't understand if you seriously don't know why this project has disappeared in activity over the last couple of months. You said it yourself, there's not much effort needed to run this, but "unless it gets to a point where we haven't had a legitimate contest in a long time"? There have been two entries across three rounds in the past two months. If that doesn't fit the above description, then I don't really know what does.

Just my thoughts.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
All right, honestly, I was just going to keep it running because I felt like people didn't want to see it go and I was going to wait until there was a significant gap in activity, like a few months of no entries at all (there have been more than you said over the past two months, not to mention a few gaps between actual contests), though I suppose it hasn't been too much better, but if people are actually going to be upset because I'm keeping this running, I'm not going to bother. You're right, it's silly to keep it running, but since it's a contest completely independent from round to round I didn't see any reason to at least try. I was hoping people had just forgotten about this last round, but it's probably stupid anyway.

I have no delusions about what the main problem is, I am not an idiot. I understand that the spriting community will never be what it once was, I understand that there's not enough interest for people to participate on a regular basis. But there are enough people that have some interest in spriting that I was hoping that maybe the right organization might persuade them to participate in a particular round. That's all it was.

If anybody wants to do any more spriting, go to the general spriting thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom