• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Grand Festival Spriting Contest (Closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spire

III
BRoomer
Wow, not gonna lie, thats a pretty ***** thing to say. Dont set a schedual then take it out on other people when they want you to stick to it.
We don't set a schedule for when the scores are due. We set a schedule for when the contests close.

Speaking of schedule, there's school and work that factor in to this for the both of us. We are wholly capable of running this contest, but it's definitely not our priority.

And would you rather cater to a bunch of clammoring people, or to patient people?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Oh I'm sorry, let me put on my for the people voice: "You guys are fantastic, so just wait a little while longer and we'll have the scores up!"

Charmander

Smash Champion
NNID
JoeThorpedo
We don't set a schedule for when the scores are due. We set a schedule for when the contests close.
Ok, this is where people got confused, ok? Now that we get this, can we please stop arguing/pissing off the mods? Its only going to delay it more, and I for one would rather this to happen sooner than later -__-
Kthxbai :awesome:

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Spire's right, school and work interfere and they have to take priority. We try to get the scores and such up ASAP, but we have to prioritize.

Furthermore, if we were just slapping scores on everything it would probably take ~10 minutes to do, but you guys seem to like write-ups to explain why we gave the scores we did and how you can improve. That takes significantly longer to get done. The last contest's comments took me more than an hour (might've even been closer to two hours) to complete. It's absolutely fine that you want those, but you must understand that we put thought into those comments, and that takes more time.

I can put it in writing in the OP that judging may take a few days if that'll make you guys feel better, but Spire's right -- we tell you when the deadline is for sprites, not for scores.

A poll may prevent shenanigans, but then you have to concern yourself with people voting for themselves, people enlisting others to vote for them, and overall different standards from different people, so I'm still opposed to a poll system.

Spire and I are both working on our scores, we'll try and get them done ASAP.

Terywj [태리]

Charismatic Maknae~
A poll may prevent shenanigans, but then you have to concern yourself with people voting for themselves, people enlisting others to vote for them, and overall different standards from different people, so I'm still opposed to a poll system.
My overall point was the PSC polls helped eliminate arguments and annoyances such as those earlier. Yes, self-voting and manipulation of votes is stupid, but they are easy to find and aren't tolerated regardless. Yes, I could have run my own analyses of the sprites, etc. but then people who be arguing over bias and the like, which in my opinion would be irritable to both the project head and the participants.
But I'm one of those "work for the community" type of people, so my point of view is different than yours.

Edit - It's not you or Spire's fault. Just making sure you don't think I think it is.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Hey guys, stop posting, because every ****ing second Spire and Firus spend replying to your tl;dr who the **** cares posts is a second later we get the results.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Basically here's how it is.

Once we get the scores up, be it a day after, two days after, or four days after, you will then have a week to complete the next contest. We try to keep it weekly, but that's actually rather difficult. It's a semi-weekly contest supported by the fact that each contest runs the length of a week.

And the more we see begging for scores, the less inclined to judge them we are.
I just like to know what's going. I'm not begging for scores or anything, it's just you're leaving us in the dark by not even posting in here that it's closed and things are running. For all I know, you and Firus could have forgotten about this because I hadn't seen ANYTHING from you guys about this. I'd prefer to keep updated about what's going on, even if things haven't progressed.

M.K

Level 55
In the past two, they've had no announcements of the ending and did not fail to please contenders with scores and critique. It's safe to assume that their responsibilities are being accomplished in great haste.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Update: Firus fell asleep so expect everything tomorrow. I'm going to go ahead and finish my half up so all the weight is on him :troll:
I can't even get ahold of Firus, so I'll give him one more day and then I'll do the sole judging.
In the past two, they've had no announcements of the ending and did not fail to please contenders with scores and critique. It's safe to assume that their responsibilities are being accomplished in great haste.
We sort of had, although not being huge updates. I just simply want to not be left in the cold without knowing what's going on at all. If they have work johns or school johns that's totally fine. However, I wouldn't have had any idea if they didn't post in here saying so.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I just like to know what's going. I'm not begging for scores or anything, it's just you're leaving us in the dark by not even posting in here that it's closed and things are running. For all I know, you and Firus could have forgotten about this because I hadn't seen ANYTHING from you guys about this. I'd prefer to keep updated about what's going on, even if things haven't progressed.
So basically you want them to continually post "Dealing with life, haven't finished it yet" ?

If you guys are going to be big babies about this we can always just close the thread until they have the results up.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Sorry for the delay, guys. Spire's been super busy with work, to the extent that he hasn't had time to do anything recently, even for himself. We've got the scores for you though, and I have my write-ups, although Spire wasn't able to write his own.

Anyway, here they are:

Sir Bedevere

Bug/Poison

From this sprite, it’s immediately evident that it is bug-type, and through design and the tail, as well as natural accompaniment, poison makes sense as well. Overall, the sprite is extremely well-designed – in fact, my only complaint is that it’s almost too well-designed in that it’s somewhat difficult to tell that it used to be Charizard. Aside from that, though, you did excellent work on this sprite.

Firus: 9/10
Spire: 9/10
FINAL: 9/10

Chibo

Dark/Fire

While this sprite is well-executed, the actual retyping isn’t quite as obvious. The black and the dark aura certainly give off a feeling of “Dark”, but I can’t help but feel you could’ve done something to represent that better. Furthermore, the dark aura also brings to mind the gas surrounding Gastly, which makes it hard to discern whether it should be dark or ghost.

Firus: 5/10
Spire: 2/10
FINAL: 3.5/10

Riddle

Rock/Grass

The Rock/Grass typing is almost immediately evident here. You did a very good job portraying the rock-typing especially – through the coloring and the cracks in Charizard, I immediately think of rock. The grass is pretty evident too, although I think it would’ve worked better if you’d incorporated it into Charizard’s style of wings more rather than making it so akin to Tropius. The tail is a nice touch as well, although it does look a little rough and almost more like crystals than leaves.

Firus: 8/10
Spire: 7/10
FINAL: 7.5/10

Fuelbi

Ghost/Fire (?)

(You didn’t specify a type, so I’m just assuming you were going for ghost/fire.)

Your concept with this sprite was good, and the ghost is pretty evident, but the fire is a little iffy; a blue flame is usually a good go-to color for a ghastly fire, whereas black isn’t a typical color for fire. In making your ghost-tail, I would’ve thinned out Charizard a little more, because the belly dropping into the tail as it does is a little awkward. The ghost aura is also a little rough; the jagged edges are difficult to look at. You should always make sure your edges are smooth – generally, just by looking at them you can tell if they’re too jagged or not.

Spire: 3/10
FINAL: 4/10

Charmander

Ghost/Water

Honestly, I would have a very difficult time telling the type of this sprite had you not put it down. The Gyarados tail more-or-less gives the water part, but that’s really the only thing that gives that indication, and with the lack of eyes, stone-color and torn-up wings it gives more of a rock-type vibe than ghost. The blood would have been a nice touch, except I don’t necessarily associate blood with ghosts – I associate blood with dark-type, since not all ghosts are malevolent. Overall, there’s just a lot going on in this sprite and it’s difficult to tell much of what’s happening. The Gyarados tail looks kind of choppy in the way it was attached, in my opinion; had you tried shortening the tail and maybe attached it to the back instead of the bottom, it may have looked better.

Firus: 4/10
Spire: 3/10
FINAL: 3.5/10

rPSI

Poison

Simple and to-the-point – the pronged tail, coloring, and fangs make it pretty evident that you were going for poison. The ridges on the tail are a nice touch too, giving a snake-like look and adding to the poison. I’m not entirely sure what you were going for with the yellow part from the nose, though…my initial thought is some sort of poisonous snot bubble? Maybe poisonous gas? That’s a little unclear, and it distracts me from the rest of the sprite a little bit; but you accomplished your mission.

Firus: 8/10
FINAL: 8.5/10

Meta-Kirby

Dark/Poison

I really like the way you approached this sprite. The “corruption” with the poison veins gets across the poison and dark at the same time, and the small addition of bat-like ears and a toothy grin give off extra indication of dark-type. The one thing about the sprite that throws me off is the tail; while you didn’t do anything wrong in theory, keeping the tail as it was, the light color of the tail in combination with where the largest part of it is confused me until I realized what it was. For a second, it seemed that you had forgotten to make part of the background transparent. Just to eliminate confusion, I might’ve made the coloring a little darker or repositioned the tail.

Firus: 9/10
Spire: 7/10
FINAL: 8/10

canvasch

Dark/Ghost

I look at this sprite, and the concept was good, and when I look at each part individually it’s actually pretty good, but together the pieces clash. The skull is good, and I like the whole grim reaper concept, but the light blue in the wings clashes with the black/red scheme and makes it look very unfinished; the skull is well made, but better shading would make it seem less out-of-place; and the scythe could use some more shading as well. Also, while the grim reaper concept gives some essence of ghost and dark, it lends itself more to being the grim reaper itself than to any particular Pokémon type.

Firus: 3/10
Spire: 5/10
FINAL: 4/10

Pachirisu

Bug/Electric

While this sprite looks good and it gives off a fairly clear vibe of Bug/Electric typing, I have trouble fully accepting this as a retype. It’s a well-executed fusion, but in a retype, even if you borrow from other Pokémon, you should do more to the sprite than merely borrow from other Pokémon for the purpose of retyping. In the future, I’d recommend borrowing ideas – like insect eyes, wings, and tails with lights at the end, and adding them on in your own way rather than ripping them straight from the Pokémon from which the ideas came.

Spire: 6/10
FINAL: 5.5/10

UltiMario

Ice/Electric

The Ice/Electric typing is immediately evident here, between the icy body and the sparks branching off of Charizard’s body. The transition of body to neck/head, as well as body to arms, is a little awkward, but overall you accomplished the icy effect well. I’m still not entirely sure what the top-like things are supposed to be; I assume they have something to do with the levitate you gave the Charizard, but they’re a little odd nevertheless. There are some awkward spots, but overall you did a good job conveying the Ice/Electric retype.

Firus: 7/10
Spire: 8/10

Neon Ness

Steel/Dark

This sprite is amazingly well-done. You immediately see that it’s mechanical – and therefore probably Steel-type – but the dark coloring and red lights on it also give off an evil vibe, accomplishing the retype well. Charizard looks as if it were turned into a robot, not only with mechanical joints and parts, but its wings have even been replaced by engines. Excellently done.

Firus: 10/10
FINAL: 9.5/10

Wave⁂

Grass/Flying

Simple, but pretty well-done sprite. The wings and tail are somewhat reminiscent of plants, so I can definitely see the grass there, and the green coloring also gives off the grass vibe, and the fact that you have wings make the flying part evident as well. However, the darkest green on Charizard’s body seems to be a slightly different hue of green from the lighter color, which makes it clash somewhat; when darkening a color, try to only change the light/darkness of it. In addition, I would color the wings the same color as the main body (i.e. not the stomach area) so they blend together better.

Firus: 7/10
Spire: 8/10

Congratulations to Neon Ness for winning the third round of the Smash Grand Festival Spriting Contest!

Next prompt:

Current Prompt

Create an Eeveelution of any type that does not already exist. Stick to single-typings.

The deadline is Friday, January 28th at 11:59 PM EST.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Maaaan Spire be hatin on me lol
I kind of want to hear his critique on mine for it to warrant a 2

Congrats Neon Ness, yours was my fav as well

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Neon's was amazing I do have to say. Woot on 3rd. I feel like I have improved. :) Thanks for the critiques on my previous ones, I do have to say they helped alot.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Congrats, Neon Ness, and thanks to Spire and Firus for the criticism!

Can we make an Eeveelution of a type that doesn't exist?

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
Congrats, Neon Ness, and thanks to Spire and Firus for the criticism!

Can we make an Eeveelution of a type that doesn't exist?
I'm going to say stick to types that already exist. Otherwise, it gets too complicated.

Since this is Eeveelutions, does this mean no dual typings?
Yeah, stick with single typings. I'll add that to the OP.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Heh 3.5

Eh w/e, I had absolutely no ideas for this sprite, and I wasn't aiming to win so yeah...

And I'm not gonna participate in this. Last time I did a scratch sprite it really sucked :/

Circa

Smash Champion
NNID
timssu
3DS FC
1891-2120-4792
And I'm not gonna participate in this. Last time I did a scratch sprite it really sucked :/
You could always just use the body of another Eeveelution as a base and work from there. You'll probably still have to scratch on most of the additions, but I wouldn't think that most of it would be too difficult. Maybe if you tried to mess with the fur, but that can be completely avoided if you choose (the only one with major changes to the fur is Jolteon anyway).

I was going to make Charizard green, give him a batch of roses, and scratch a wedding dress onto him and call him Grass/Poison, but I didn't think of it until it was too late. :\ It was mostly just a joke entry though.

I might enter this though. I already have a nearly completed sprite sitting in my head for it, so I'll just need the talent and hard work to pull it off.

M.K

Level 55
Awesome Job Neon Ness. Truly I went "woah, awesome" at your outlining that really made it look like it was constructed of medal!!

This should be interested...@judges, are your intentions skewed towards spriting or scratching in this case?

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
I'm actually sort of surprised here haha, but I ain't complaining. I appreciate everyone's kind words and the judges' hard work throughout this. I can tell we're all getting better at this spriting business.

I just hope I have time to enter this next one, dealing with specific Types is pretty fun.

Spire

III
BRoomer
As with previous rounds, taking parts from pre-existing Pokémon will dock points at least from me. That's why I only gave Riddle a 7/10 on his Charizard, because it used Tropius' wings. If they had been scratched, he might have received 2 or 3 more points from me honestly; just to put things in perspective. We have asked you to make a new Eeveelution. Here's the thing: the eeveelution sprites are so similar in form, and most date back to 1st and 2nd gen so you have multiple generations of sprites to work from, so I honestly don't care too much if you use them. So long as it doesn't look like "Vaporeon + more" or something, then that's fine. If you're going to use a pre-existing sprite as a base, try and hide it as much as possible.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
*Psh* I'm scratch spriting this baby. Scratch spriting isn't that hard. All it takes is a basic concept of what the pokemon actually looks like. And if you're going to make a good sprite, you have to understand how your pokemon will look like from a 3D perspective. Step up your game guys :|

Spire

III
BRoomer
*Psh* I'm scratch spriting this baby. Scratch spriting isn't that hard. All it takes is a basic concept of what the pokemon actually looks like. And if you're going to make a good sprite, you have to understand how your pokemon will look like from a 3D perspective. Step up your game guys :|
Perhaps the most truthful words in this entire thread. Get on it folks!

Spire

III
BRoomer
Wow, so zero entries so far. You guys have two days left, don't forget!

Note: if only one person ends up entering, they automatically win.

rPSIvysaur

[ɑɹsaɪ]
Didn't forget, just haven't had much time. I'll probably be working on it tomorrow into Friday, as I feel most others will too.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I've had a plan for this, a really, really good one.

I've just been too busy to do it.

...I'll get to it after my big post I guess.

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
If you've not going to put effort into a sprite, don't submit anything. It just gives the judges more crap to deal with. With which to deal.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I should be done mine tonight
I have the base of it done, just have to do shading and detailed effects

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom