• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Disciples

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Since the release of Brawl, we've been heralding the end of competitive Melee as we know it. Like the Y2K freaks of ten years ago, we got all jazzed up about the end of the world. And like the Y2K freaks, all of the doom and gloom turned out to be an overreaction. Melee has survived. Perhaps not at it's 2007 level, but it survives.

We're not going to convert the Brawlers. One just needs to look at attendance at recent regional/national Brawl tournaments to get a clear picture that despite (or even worse, because of) it's non-competitive design, Brawl is here to stay. That's fine, because we need to devise a new strategy anyway. Instead of trying to bring those who have left Melee back, I suggest that we as a community focus on a vastly untapped resource: those who never got into Melee in the first place.

Now I don't mean trying to convince people to pick up Melee for the first time; it's too late for that. What I mean is bringing those people who played Melee, but not competitively, into the fold. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people who to this day still throw on their Gamecube, turn Pokeballs on high and have at it with a group of friends. What's most interesting about this group though is that they haven't moved on to Brawl yet, and there lies our opportunity.

Talk about Smash. Play it in public areas. Wear Isai's "Don't Get Hit" shirt, and when people ask you what it means, tell them exactly what it means. You'll be surprised how many people will approach you and say, "Man, I love Smash!" Next thing they'll do is tell you about their favorite character (which for some reason is invariably mid-tier or lower), and how they play with their pals all the time.

Believe it or not, there is a very large group of Smashers who don't know this site even exists. I've talked to a few of them, and they're amazed that there are actually tournaments for this game. We've built something massive here, to be sure, but there is much more growth to be found in the least likely places.

To that end, I suggest adapting Nintendo's "Blue Ocean" strategy. Reach out to people who you would never suspect as being gamers, much less Smashers. They'll listen to you, and they'll want to learn more. I spent 20 minutes telling a guy today why Mr. Game and Watch, his favorite character, doesn't perform well in tournaments. And he listened! People want to know more, they just don't know where to find it. Think of it as poetic justice that the same strategy that led to Brawl will now be used to try and bring back the Renaissance of Melee.

So go forth and spread the word! Preach the good works of Melee! Become a Smash Disciple! In my first week in my new college, one of my professors asked us to share a unique fact about ourselves. I told the class that I was a ranked Smasher in my state. After class, two people approached me to talk about Smash. Next week, I'm bringing my Wii and Melee to my new college for the first time, and I'm going to put it in a public area for anyone who wants to play. These people are out there, we just have to find them.

What will you do to spread the word? Post ideas and discuss!

Grunt

Smash Master
We played MK Wii in AP Bio last year and someone asked about Brawl. I jumped in and said "It's ok, but Melee was still way better." Then a few people started talking to me about why, mainly because they hadn't ever played it. I explained tripping, lack of combos, Metaknight etc. and they understood my points very well.

Skrah

Smash Ace
You are so right! For some reason we started talking about smash, (I was arguing with a friend why Cpt. Falcon was way sexier than Ganondorf), so I told him to decide it on a fight. He had played melee before, but not on the level that I play. Needless to say, I beat him. HE was amazed by all the SHFFLs and the general speed of my Falcon (Tho its pretty noobish if you ask me), so I taught him some basics. Now he wants to come every weekend so I can teach him stuff. Now I got like 5 friends that want to learn how to play. They even call me Sensei lol.

Anyways, brilliant idea.

Mith_

Smash Champion
I'd comment on the G&W thing you said but I don't wanna get points for mentioning brawl in the melee forums again.

This never seems to work for me for some reason. I try to teach people how to improve with their character but nobody cares enough. Then again my area is kinda lacking in the smash area so I can't really tell people about tournaments.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
I'm with you man. I set up a melee station at school today, and I got 2 people really into it. 1 of them smashed after school with me for like 5 hours, and is really pumped. I showed him the site, a few videos, advanced techniques and he's really excited.

And to make it even better, he said he was surprised Melee was so fun, because he played Brawl and hated it.

Darkman.exe213

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately, this method won't always work. Most players are only casual gamers, and don't take Melee seriously enough to feel the need to improve on it.

In my case, I can get a few people to play Melee over Brawl, but most of my friends prefer Brawl, saying it's plenty more intense, competitive, and balanced than Melee. :\ I tried to get them to play Melee, but they absolutely refuse. The few players who did play Melee again were like "O_O" after seeing the rediculous game speed compared to Brawl's, and have since then switched back. But my Brawl-crazy friends are constantly getting in the way of me trying to get more people trying to play Melee. :\

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
I'll bake a cake for my class that has "Super Smash Bros Melee is better than life" on it and then tell people that they can only have a piece if they stare at it without blinking for 30 seconds.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I'll bake a cake for my class that has "Super Smash Bros Melee is better than life" on it and then tell people that they can only have a piece if they stare at it without blinking for 30 seconds.
You can bake? Save me a piece!

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Now I don't mean trying to convince people to pick up Melee for the first time; it's too late for that. What I mean is bringing those people who played Melee, but not competitively, into the fold. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people who to this day still throw on their Gamecube, turn Pokeballs on high and have at it with a group of friends. What's most interesting about this group though is that they haven't moved on to Brawl yet, and there lies our opportunity.
This is seriously true. Even in a place like Australia, I am forever amazed at players coming to us, looking for other Melee players and seemingly ignoring Brawl.

Talk about Smash. Play it in public areas. Wear Isai's "Don't Get Hit" shirt.
Check, check and check.
I got my shirt in the mail yesterday, literally.

I showed it to my 11 year old brother and he got so hyped over it he couldn't contain the excitement at all. Brings a tear to my eye that someone his age can appreciate Melee history.

Wolfeye

Smash Apprentice
I've done this before and it was kind of working with some of my friends at high school, but we started towards the end of senior year of high school and my friends and I (that played more competitively) graduated before we really got people into it. Plus I wasn't even a tourney goer back then - I was only just learning some of the competitive stuff myself...so I guess you could say I'm kind of a new recruit because of this.

Edit: what we did was talk about it generally and got permission to bring it into school at the end of the year when we weren't doing anything in class anymore. Also brought it on a couple of overnight club/organizational trips.

philbobjoe

Smash Journeyman
I play with Melee with some of the people in my dorm fairly often. It's always a blast, even though they are not very competitive.

Also, where do I get one of these "Don't get hit" shirts?

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
This may sound odd, but if you're going to get someone interested in melee by playing them, you should avoid certain characters. Don't play fox unless you can play Fox amazingly well, Shine gimping someone 4 times wont interest them much. Don't play Falco too much either as getting lazer camped and shine->dair'd isn't particularly interesting. Falcon, Mario, IC's(don't you dare wobble) Marth, characters who can combo and do interesting things are what will get their attention.

Tamoo

Smash Master
In my year at secondary scool (High scool in UK), there were originally only 3 smashers. Now, we have spread the word and we constantly have over 10 people playing smash at my house every day. I make my house available every day after school and always welcome new people from our school. The variety of playstyle and ability makes it very competetive. Recently, we decided to go to the main national tournament in England and 3 of us went. It was our first tournament, and we did very well. I came 17th and my friend came 9th. We also came 4th in the doubles, and I can definitely say that this would have never happened had we not managed to expand the community, so everyone spread the word of melee!!!

HT F8

Hostile Takeover
This may sound odd, but if you're going to get someone interested in melee by playing them, you should avoid certain characters. Don't play fox unless you can play Fox amazingly well, Shine gimping someone 4 times wont interest them much. Don't play Falco too much either as getting lazer camped and shine->dair'd isn't particularly interesting. Falcon, Mario, IC's(don't you dare wobble) Marth, characters who can combo and do interesting things are what will get their attention.
QFT, but it depends on the person.
I got introduced to competitive smash by getting JV 5-stocked by my friend's Falco. I was like o_O you can be that good at this game?
I'm not sure how I even found this site. Youtube, probably, because my friend doesn't have an account here.

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
i play falcon/peach/fox when i want to wow someone

i'm ordering one of these shirts

SPREAD THE WERD OF SMASH

Rain(ame)

Smash Champion
Actually...the deal sealer for me was after watching Reik and Moo play each other. That's when I KNEW I wanted to start playing Melee. I saw Falco, Yoshi, Falcon, Roy, and Kirby that day. The Falco is what impressed me the most. Probably because Reik's combos are absolutely the sexiest. Then the Yoshi...again...Moo Yoshi = amazingly sexy, xD. I get people into it, but the problem is that I can only use my Peach like once or twice one them =s. So I usually avoid my Peach all together. Problem is...then they fear my Roy -_-. It's such a vicious cycle. Just show them the differences. They become interested eventually, xD.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
The only problem I have is the whole "us vs them" mentality when it comes to Melee and Brawl. It's almost a sin to like both. They are both very different experiences.

AquaTech

We hit the potjack
Good post Jam Stunna.

Me and a friend would play Brawl at our university's arcade room. We would occasionally offer people to play with us. They'd ask what game we were playing, and our answer would be "Smash Brothers." They'd say, "Yeah, I love that game." But upon finding out it was Brawl, they would always say, "Oh, I only played the Gamecube one..."

Needless to say, we've made the switch back to Melee. Haven't tried it out at school yet though. I'm sure we could get together a respectable bunch.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I don't have a problem with people liking both. It's just been my experience that those people are few and far between.

Stratford

Smash Champion
I'm training some noobs at college. Most of them came in thinking Brawl was better than Melee, but they weren't so confident in that opinion that me telling them they are absolutely wrong didn't get them to come back to the good side. One of them is very committed and shows lots of potential for improvement.

Binx

Smash Master
This was a really amazing post. I'm gonna be ordering an Ice Climber Shirt pretty soon here, and I plan on hosting some melee only tournaments at my college, I figure if I can do a guaranteed first place prize I can get some good attendance.

I'm thinking guaranteed $50 for first place, plus maybe entry discounts for people who make consecutive tournaments.

FoxID

Smash Cadet
Jungle I will help you. Whenever we meet up to play we will put on our Isai shirts and run all over the building yelling "Don't get hit!" It has to work. =P But first! I need to get me one of those shirts....

Anyway, back on topic. At my school we play during lunch and we constantly have 5+ people coming to play. Me and my partner are the only people who play competitively. They're all amazed at how fast we make our characters look and when I offer to teach them they always get discouraged when I tell them I've been playing for months and I'm not even considered good. Sometimes we have over 15 people come to play with us and they don't even mind not being able to play. As long as they get to watch. (We only have 30 minutes to play. Not everyone gets a turn) There really is a lot of untapped potential out there. They just need someone to guide them to the right place. (SWF)

Edit- Binx, that's a great idea. Hosting your own local tourneys is awesome. I'm actually doing the same a week from now. Although, I'm not in college so I'm hosting it at a relatives house. We have 16 people signed up for the tournament and we're also gonna have friendlies. Most of the people aren't competitive but love smash. It's gonna be great. It should get a few more people into the competitive smash scene. Our first place prize is $90

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I wish it were easier though. People are just afraid of effort and dedication these days.
Every time I introduce friends of mine to Competitive Melee, they all get angry about being whipped and tell me that they prefer Brawl because, I quote "I can't do anything when I'm in the air, you don't even let me move" "Don't get hit?" (lol Isai <3) "How can you expect me to do that?" "Well aren't I managing it pretty well?" "....stfu Brawl is better, it's not as gay in that it gives you a fighting chance"
I then went on to explain all Melee takes is more practice, and that Brawl has lots of ridiculously broken mechanics like the D3 infinite and planking.
I mean, I completely gayed him out in some Brawl matches to prove my point, but people these days really love glossy grafixx and teh funny tripping lolz I can airdodge 4eva! You cants combo me!

The plague to Competitive Melee is laziness and superficiality.

Dark Hart

Rejected by Azua
Jam is so right.

I have a few friends who never really got into Brawl, but never knew what competitive Melee was. (Coincidentally, that don't like Brawl for the same reasons most people don't)

I've recently shown them the world of competitive smash via Smashboards and Combo videos. They're so eager to learn. It's so cool.

btw Jam, your title should be "Smash Disciple."

Fly_Amanita

Master of Caribou
The last time I tried to help an eager-to-learn Melee newbie, he ended up having to transfer to an easier college, and he still sucked.

I'll still gladly help anybody who is genuinely interested in improving, though.

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
Well i'm amazing.

Everyone who thinks what Jam said won't work, you're wrong.

After only 2 days of setting up a smash station, I got 5 people interested in total. They all know the basics and can play relatively well (follow up hits, etc.) I've been teaching them ATs and they're all pretty excited. To make things even better, none of them like Brawl.

I'll be hosting a smashfest next weekend to see who's really up for it. It really brings a tear to my eye.

If anyone is still in High School or whatever, I seriously suggest that you try. You'll never believe who'll be interested.

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Next week, my High School is holding a video game tournament and I convinced them to include Melee in the mix by showing them the game. Lol.

I'll try to do something about it. :]

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
My initial thoughts of casual players has really changed. I've met so many casual players at my school who just outright prefer Melee over Brawl.

So much for stereotypes. >.<

KosukeKGA

Smash Champion
Yeah, I fortunately beat the rush.

I saw them playing Brawl on the projector in our Lunch Hall and I was like, "WTF? Turn this **** off."

In the middle of the match about dozens of people started yelling profanity and what not. But...

I pop in the Melee disc (I keep one with me wherever I go), start CG'ing with Marth and doing usual Fox tech skill, and everyone was amazed.

"Holy crap, this guy can beat 3 Lv. 9 COMs!"
"Dude, teach me how to play like that."
etc.

Melee motivates minds. Just SHOW people the game, everyone. They'll love it!

DtJ Jungle

Check out my character in #GranblueFantasy
BRoomer
No guys seriously, how can i find people interested without just walking straight up to them?

Top Bottom