• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Brothers - Series Discussion

INFINITEJUSTICE

Smash Rookie
Let me preface what I'm about to say by saying that this documentary is awesome and better than I could have ever done. I really enjoyed watching it.

With that said, I did feel like there were a few weaknesses. I felt like it was a little uneven as far as storytelling. Sometimes it seemed to be reaching out and teaching people who didn't know smash, sometimes it seemed to be a documentary about specific smashers (this is what it did best), sometimes it was about the community and what was going on in the community. Honestly the only part I was really bored with was hungrybox talking about playing tag. The story didn't really go anywhere and probably should have been cut or edited to make it seem like he had a point. I also think the last episode probably could've been combined with the previous episode. As someone mentioned a little above, I think the explanations of smashing vocabulary should've continued through to the end (even though I followed what was going on just fine).

All in all though, great work, and it renewed my interest in smash. My friends were all terrible compared to the featured players, and I was a bit better than my friends. I want to get into understanding the game better, but we'll see how that goes.

supersmashsrdj

Smash Rookie
Guys, I need to know the name of the song that comes on at 8 minutes into the 8th episode of the series (the natural). It's played during the montage of Mango's games. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME I NEED TO KNOW IT SO BAD

zerokoh

Smash Rookie
Guys, I need to know the name of the song that comes on at 8 minutes into the 8th episode of the series (the natural). It's played during the montage of Mango's games. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME I NEED TO KNOW IT SO BAD
The name of the song is "White lights" by Djuro. It's only 1:07 long (the versions that I've found, anyway.)
Pretty sure this is what you're referring to: http://youtu.be/jW8fNzEKapA

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
I ripped a few of the APM songs featured in the doc and downloaded the remastered edition and uploaded them to bitGamer v2, if anyone here is interested and has a bitGamer account.
http://bitgamer.ch/details.php?id=1968

I'm sure it needs more publicity, but I'd really love to see the full OST released soon, some of the songs are just too good to go unheard. If anyone's interested I could upload the tracks to mediafire or some similar host, but regardless I just wanted to thank Samox again for making such a great doc. Also, 3.0 Project M comes out tomorrow, and I just got my fill yesterday and am appropriately ready to see M hit the scene at its most polished.

mixa

Banned via Warnings
Hi there, samox. You've already said the DVDs will take a while, and that you'd put the extra content on Youtube as unlisted in the meanwhile. Any news on that?

AbidingTruth

Smash Rookie
**** is quite common, and is quite traumatic for most **** victims. It's hard enough for them to move on with their lives as it is, much less with people casually throwing the word around. In severe cases it can trigger PTSD flashbacks. It's simply not something that one just "shrugs" off.

This is also very true. Because it is so common in gaming communities, a lot of people don't understand how traumatic it actually is for it's victims. To make matters even worse, it encourages actual rapists as they see it as everyone does it. This is known as **** culture, and the gaming community is full of it.

Calling someone or someone who uses tactics you don't approve of gay or ***gy are the biggest examples of these. In this case, you are associating someone's sexual preference with something negative. DoH talks about this as well. Other hate speech/racial slurs crop up here and there, but very rarely. Thankfully not many people are dropping n-bombs all the time. Hate speech/racial slurs basically just includes any words that don't have any real meanings outside of disparaging a group of people.

This is the end all, be all point of my previous posts. There aren't many words involved here, is it really that hard to attempt to at least limit their use?

Oh jeez, you're one of those people who actually buys this "**** culture" nonsense. There is no **** culture, people these days are too goddamn sensitive. Trash talk like this caliber has always been a part of gaming culture, who are you to try and tell gamers to change their culture because someone might get too uptighty over the word ****. I guess we can't use the word "destroy" either because it could refer to how the twin towers were destroyed and someone could have lost someone during that day and they could be offended. What matters is the context of the word, and no one uses ****, gay, ******, or whatever in a derogatory context specifically towards gay people. You remind me of one of those Tumblr users who goes around endlessly preaching social justice and how evil the patriarchy is.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I like how you basically summon me back in here to basically give me a short lecture about the history of gaming culture like I haven't been a part of it since the days that Street Fighter 2 was being played in arcades.
I guess we can't use the word "destroy" either because it could refer to how the twin towers were destroyed and someone could have lost someone during that day and they could be offended.
Destroy doesn't and shouldn't trigger anything in someone who was affected by the 9/11 attacks (in most cases) because it is a general purpose word and individuals likely won't associate that event with this one word. Now if you said something along the lines of "I just went 9/11 on your ass." then you would likely trigger something as it is a direct reference.

****, as well as slurs, are not general purpose words. Their main definition is defined by one thing, and recent deviations and sub-meanings are purely secondary.
What matters is the context of the word, and no one uses ****, gay, ******, or whatever in a derogatory context specifically towards gay people.
So you can easily make negative blanket statements about me and everyone that thinks the way I do, and then you say that "no one" in the smash community is using these slurs towards gay people? Are you absolutely positive that everyone in the smash community is not a homo-phobe or a racist? I'm sorry, but your entire assertion is just ridiculous at face value.

Also, regardless of what you think about the use of "gay" as slang for "lame" but you are associating a group of people to a negative statement. I don't see how gay people, as a whole, would be super happy about that. I don't think any other minority group would appreciate their label (for lack of a better word) to be considered a slang term for something bad either.
You remind me of one of those Tumblr users who goes around endlessly preaching social justice and how evil the patriarchy is.
You just remind me of an ignorant person who doesn't really care about others.

TKD

Smash Lord
Yeah...I personally get pretty nervous when I say "****" in front of a girl if I don't know what she's been through...I think I haven't effed up like that to this date though. :) It is a pretty risky word nevertheless.

I think "gay" is acceptable as I haven't met anyone that's had trouble with the word...I even use the word "white" as an adjective to describe derpy, uncoordinated or socially awkward actions lol (and nobody's had a problem with that either).

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I think "gay" is acceptable as I haven't met anyone that's had trouble with the word...
I think it's mostly acceptable because it's easier just to not speak up to something like that. Same thing goes with people who aren't comfortable with the word **** (in this case, this would include most women and male victims of **** that don't want to out the fact that they have been *****.) will simply go along with the group because they don't want to cause problems or be excluded.

Just look at this thread as an example of what happens when someone objects to a few words used by the smash community. The initial reaction by most is to silence those who think differently. The irony being that they seemed to be offended by the fact that I (and others) are offended at their blatantly offensive stuff. If one was gay, they would probably get enough crap as it is that they wouldn't want to even try standing up to that for fear of the backlash, especially if they liked the group on the whole.
I even use the word "white" as an adjective to describe derpy, uncoordinated or socially awkward actions lol (and nobody's had a problem with that either).
It doesn't really work with white people though. What I mean is that there isn't a history of violence or injust actions against white people in the US and most of Europe because they have been the majority. Racial slurs against white people don't really have a sting, and is often taken as humorous due to that.

Yeroc

Theory Coder
BRoomer
I just wanted to comment that, in a vacuum, I might wish to agree with those who are saying that these terms shouldn't carry stigmas so that we wouldn't have to worry about offending people by using them. But they do and we do, so it's pretty unrealistic to just dismiss someone's objections to **** culture. You're trying to project your cultural view onto other people without stopping to consider that their viewpoint is likely just as valid as your own. It's also incredibly insensitive to just automatically assume, even hypothetically, that your audience isn't someone with an emotional response trigger that would be agitated by your words.

AbidingTruth

Smash Rookie
I think it's mostly acceptable because it's easier just to not speak up to something like that. Same thing goes with people who aren't comfortable with the word **** (in this case, this would include most women and male victims of **** that don't want to out the fact that they have been *****.) will simply go along with the group because they don't want to cause problems or be excluded.

Just look at this thread as an example of what happens when someone objects to a few words used by the smash community. The initial reaction by most is to silence those who think differently. The irony being that they seemed to be offended by the fact that I (and others) are offended at their blatantly offensive stuff. If one was gay, they would probably get enough crap as it is that they wouldn't want to even try standing up to that for fear of the backlash, especially if they liked the group on the whole.

It doesn't really work with white people though. What I mean is that there isn't a history of violence or injust actions against white people in the US and most of Europe because they have been the majority. Racial slurs against white people don't really have a sting, and is often taken as humorous due to that.

None of us are offended. You have the right to disagree with the use of certain words and we have the right to disagree with your disagreement. I really hope you didn't posted your initial objection not expecting people to say something against that. You say that I don't know that everyone in the Smash community isn't a homophobe or whatever, but look at who people are saying those words to. I can guarantee the person they're calling gay or a ****** is probably not, in fact, homosexual. A lot of people making this argument seem to fall back on calling everyone against them ignorant. Fine, you can sit back and call us ignorant, I don't really care. I for one am not so easily offended by someone's choice of words.Just saying though, I like how you're basically saying that this type of censorship only applies to certain words, with the whole "Yeah, but that doesn't really count though".

Oh, and I "summoned" you back here because I had been going through the thread since page 1, saw your posts, and decided to respond, simple as that. But alright, if this topic has been dropped already or whatever, my bad for not seeing that. I just don't see why you're attempting to call people out on disagreeing with your disagreement. It isn't ironic, it's called having a conversation.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
None of us are offended.
Tell that to those that have flamed me for it in this and other threads :-P. Trust me, people don't get that worked up without being offended by what I have said on some level.
You say that I don't know that everyone in the Smash community isn't a homophobe or whatever, but look at who people are saying those words to. I can guarantee the person they're calling gay or a ****** is probably not, in fact, homosexual.
So you honestly believe that both A:) you absolutely 100% know the sexual preference of everyone you have ever played smash with and say those words to, and B:) using a term that is a label for an entire group as a negative comment has no affect on the way that you and everyone else view said group?
I for one am not so easily offended by someone's choice of words.
Odds are, you are likely not part of a minority as well.
I like how you're basically saying that this type of censorship only applies to certain words, with the whole "Yeah, but that doesn't really count though".
No, you and pretty much everyone on your side are basically making the same boring argument that if we actually try not to use a small set of words that all the sudden we are on some slippery slope that means every word in the English language is subject to censorship. That stance is absurd, and instead of flat out telling you that in the last post I decided instead to explain how "destroy" wouldn't trigger something in a 9/11 victim. Most words aren't so specific that people will latch onto them as a trigger like that, and most words aren't so specific that you can really avoid using them in the first place. On the other hand, it's in fact quite easy to not use slurs and ****,.
I just don't see why you're attempting to call people out on disagreeing with your disagreement.
I'm fine with debate/arguments, even if they are from the opposing side of my stance, and you yourself weren't a main instigator of that. I was merely stating that a lot of people who hold views like yours really get angry when someone does actually confront them on their offensive language. The reason I stated that is because people who actually are affected by those words would opt to not say anything despite their objections because they would be afraid of the backlash, and also afraid of being excluded by the group in some way.
A lot of people making this argument seem to fall back on calling everyone against them ignorant.
You think that the idea of "**** culture" is a joke. It doesn't take much time of thinking about the issue to realise that it isn't. When "****" is the punchline to so many jokes it undermines the fact that it is a horrible act which has affected many people. It makes it easier for people to not care. The same goes to slurs. I don't know how many times I've heard racist people make racist jokes as a way to test the waters and see if it's "OK" to be openly racist around a group of people. It happened all the time at my old workplace.

As Yeroc has said, this stuff doesn't exist in a vacuum. Your actions have the unintended consequence of belittling both homosexuals and **** victims. You may refuse to see it, but that doesn't mean that it isn't happening. That is why I say you are being ignorant. It's also tarnishing the smash scene and making it a place that isn't welcoming to these groups. So even if you care nothing for trying to do good for others, at least do it to promote the smash scene and make it more professional.

roxolid

Smash Cadet
Samox--I watched the "Team Ben" video, and was touched by it. Thank you for uploading that and for linking Chris's book--I read it immediately after watching the video and thought it was great too. Keep doing awesome things!

Adamated

Smash Apprentice
I found this on youtube yesterday and I watched the whole series :]

I've been a smasher for a long... long time and it's neat to see the story behind some of those legendary names that I've heard for years. I never have been one to go to tournaments and stuff due to other priorities, but this is a great way to experience that.

Kudos to all who participated in making this documentary. Very cool.

snex

Smash Master
Just look at this thread as an example of what happens when someone objects to a few words used by the smash community. The initial reaction by most is to silence those who think differently.

Did you seriously just say that with a straight face? The only ones trying to silence anybody are the social justice crowd, with their word policing. Maybe you somehow think that misogyny or homophobia will disappear if we just get misogynists and homophobes to stop using such nasty words, but I am not so optimistic (and history has shown otherwise).

And "**** culture?" Really? You know that people go to prison for ******, right? The reason "****" is such a strong word is because **** is so horrible. If **** were casually accepted in society, the word wouldn't be used at all to describe beating your opponent.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Did you seriously just say that with a straight face?
Yes, because it's true. Just because you are part of an anti-censor of any words ever for any reason doesn't mean you don't use what power and influence you have by trying to get people who disagree with you to stop talking.
Maybe you somehow think that misogyny or homophobia will disappear if we just get misogynists and homophobes to stop using such nasty words, but I am not so optimistic (and history has shown otherwise).
Homophobia and misogyny will likely never go away as our brains are wired to be tribal by nature. We are pattern seeking creatures, so if we spot a pattern that distinguishes us from another group then there will always be people who use that difference as a reason for ill will. That said we are still capable to think outside of that and strive to actually be good to people.

(and history has shown otherwise).
You do know that hate speech is banned in a lot of countries in Europe right? You could go to prison for shouting racial slurs or broadcasting hate in any form. So far that hasn't led to a breakdown of society because people no longer have the right to purposely spread their own hate and ignorance around.

I'm not even advocating my stance to that degree on this site. I'm also not telling you to say "poop" instead of "****". I'm simply saying that perhaps we should avoid language that was created for the sole purpose of putting another group down, and to avoid the most common trigger word. It's really not hard to do that, it's not stripping you of your ability to communicate.
And "**** culture?" Really? You know that people go to prison for ******, right? The reason "****" is such a strong word is because **** is so horrible.
Yeah, **** is a horrible crime. At least we can both agree on that. **** is also something that is far to common. **** is something that guys often do and justify that what they did wasn't **** because they didn't jump a girl that was jogging in the woods.
If **** were casually accepted in society, the word wouldn't be used at all to describe beating your opponent.
Why wouldn't it be? Are you saying that the only reason people are saying **** at all in this manner is because they want to employ a bit of "shock humor"? To use it as such a hyperbole as to get some kind of reaction from someone? That clearly isn't the case, as you don't hear many within the gaming community that find that shocking anymore. It's about as shocking as saying pwn was in the 90's.

Maybe you have another reason for saying that as well. I am not going to assume that is the only thing you could have meant as there are many ways to interpret that statement. Feel free to elaborate and I can touch on that if you want.

-------------------
There have been many people in the smash community that have voiced that they do not like people casually tossing around slurs, the casual use of the word "****", and/or having their social label be commonly used as a synonym for annoying. For each person that says that, there are many more that will not say it and many that will never give this community a shot. If we want this community to reach it's full potential, we have to be professional about it. Latching onto these things only shows the rest of the world that, on the whole, gamers actually are misogynistic assholes. I don't think that is what we are though, despite the language that is being used I think most people use it merely out of convention. For every user that argues against changing their ways, there are hundreds on these boards that don't care about the argument at all. If a new word became the fashion, they would just switch without much of a care.

Which leads me to ask, what real reason do we have for saying **** over any other word, or what is keeping us (the gaming community as a whole) from moving on to a new word to describe beating the heck out of your opponent? Clearly for those who don't want to use the word **** they didn't struggle to find a replacement. I was able to switch to "wreck" overnight (something which surprised me because I expected to slip up from time to time). Why does the gaming community fight so hard so that they can use this word in the first place? Why do you fight for this, one of the very things which is preventing a wider acceptance of gaming culture as a whole?

snex

Smash Master
You do know that hate speech is banned in a lot of countries in Europe right? You could go to prison for shouting racial slurs or broadcasting hate in any form. So far that hasn't led to a breakdown of society because people no longer have the right to purposely spread their own hate and ignorance around.
These laws are ridiculous on their face and if you think they won't ever be abused you are kidding yourself. Humans have a basic right to free speech, and taking that away necessarily harms society. Perhaps you have not read your John Stuart Mill?

I'm not even advocating my stance to that degree on this site. I'm also not telling you to say "poop" instead of "****". I'm simply saying that perhaps we should avoid language that was created for the sole purpose of putting another group down, and to avoid the most common trigger word. It's really not hard to do that, it's not stripping you of your ability to communicate.
It is telling people what they can and cannot do with their own bodies. This argument doesn't fly for abortion, so why should it fly for something so much more mundane as speaking the words I feel are best to represent my thoughts?

Yeah, **** is a horrible crime. At least we can both agree on that. **** is also something that is far to common. **** is something that guys often do and justify that what they did wasn't **** because they didn't jump a girl that was jogging in the woods.
**** is nowhere near as common as Social Justice Warriors scream that it is (the 1 in 4 number is complete bull**** advanced by a bogus survey pushing an agenda.) And no, **** is not "something that guys often do."

Why wouldn't it be? Are you saying that the only reason people are saying **** at all in this manner is because they want to employ a bit of "shock humor"? To use it as such a hyperbole as to get some kind of reaction from someone? That clearly isn't the case, as you don't hear many within the gaming community that find that shocking anymore. It's about as shocking as saying pwn was in the 90's.
That is exactly why they do it, or at least it was originally. It has now become common parlance, and as such, is no longer shocking. This shouldn't surprise you, as language evolves. 20 years ago, you couldn't say words on TV that are now quite common. You seem to want to maintain the shock value of the word "****" because maybe you somehow think that if the word isn't shocking, neither will actual **** be shocking. This is wrong on so many levels, I don't even know where to begin. You might as well argue that video game violence desensitizes us to real violence, and that therefore video games cause school shootings.

There have been many people in the smash community that have voiced that they do not like people casually tossing around slurs, the casual use of the word "****", and/or having their social label be commonly used as a synonym for annoying. For each person that says that, there are many more that will not say it and many that will never give this community a shot. If we want this community to reach it's full potential, we have to be professional about it.
Funny, but I see female gamers and gay gamers using these terms too. They don't seem to be bothered. Do you really think that the delicate snowflakes who pass out at the utterance of a word that they don't like will *really* make the community better? On what basis do you make this claim? They can't handle a single word, yet you think they can handle the pressure of a tournament?

Latching onto these things only shows the rest of the world that, on the whole, gamers actually are misogynistic *******s. I don't think that is what we are though, despite the language that is being used I think most people use it merely out of convention. For every user that argues against changing their ways, there are hundreds on these boards that don't care about the argument at all. If a new word became the fashion, they would just switch without much of a care.
Maybe you aren't aware, but the rest of the world has always hated gamers, and they never needed an excuse to do so. We are "basement dwelling dweebs," "no friends losers," etc etc. I have nothing to prove to the rest of the world. The rest of the world can go **** itself after how it has treated us. The real reason feminists love to go after nerds so much is not that we are so much more misogynistic than everybody else, it's because we are easy targets. If you really cared about social justice, you wouldn't be policing speech, you would be helping actual victims though actual means.

Which leads me to ask, what real reason do we have for saying **** over any other word, or what is keeping us (the gaming community as a whole) from moving on to a new word to describe beating the heck out of your opponent? Clearly for those who don't want to use the word **** they didn't struggle to find a replacement. I was able to switch to "wreck" overnight (something which surprised me because I expected to slip up from time to time). Why does the gaming community fight so hard so that they can use this word in the first place? Why do you fight for this, one of the very things which is preventing a wider acceptance of gaming culture as a whole?
Once we let Social Justice Warriors police our language once, there is no stopping them in the future. Today, "****" is banned. Tomorrow, "wrecked" (my father died in a car wreck, how insensitive!) Eventually, there will be no language that is acceptable, and there will be no competitive scene because everybody will be too afraid to be DQ'd for "hate speech."

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
I hate both of you, shut up and take this somewhere else. We've had this conversation many times, we had two podcasts about it and there are threads on it, this a thread for a wonderful documentary that helped us get back into the MLG and most of your arguments are filled with fallacies and generalizations. Seriously gtfo cause I stopped reading it 4 pages ago.

dRevan64

Smash Journeyman
yooooooooooooooo what is going on itt christ almighty on a pair of sticks
take it to PMs or something man wow

on topic I'm never gonna be able to say jigglypuff without giggling again

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Man, shut y'all dirty beaner wet back ***** up.
If you are going to attempt to make a post like this you should at least try to make an actual sentence. Y'all means "you all" and not "your".

As far as debating the issues I have been debating, I'll stop at where it is. Even I agree at this point it is far outside the realm of what was originally being discussed that it is taking a life of it's own here. For that I apologize. As far as the documentary stuff goes, I'll have a look at the new Team Ben section that was added to the documentary later today. Looking forward to that now that I have the time.

SasukeUchihaSharigan

Smash Rookie
I just finished the documentary. I'm hoping the new Smash game revives this community. I've personally never gotten into Smash but it has inspire me to get serious about my favorite fighting game.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
We don't need reviving from some shiny new game, our love for this game has made 2013 the strongest year ever and 2014 looks even better. Sakurai and Nintendo should be asking us to revive the wii u for them #4StockPS4

SasukeUchihaSharigan

Smash Rookie
We don't need reviving from some shiny new game, our love for this game has made 2013 the strongest year ever and 2014 looks even better. Sakurai and Nintendo should be asking us to revive the wii u for them #4StockPS4
While I believe you, I hardly see any newcomers on the scene. It's mostly die hard fans and that's why I said I hope the new game revives it. The new game could suck but it's a NEW game so it will draw people to the series and after you are exposed to the series you get introduce to the best game in the series "Melee".

RyeBread<3

Smash Rookie
When you share time and place with other people, it's just general human decency to not say blatantly inflammatory **** at them. You don't even have to believe certains words are hurtful or whatever deep down, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't think "oh some people here probably won't take to kindly if I say something that doesn't need to be said. probably shouldn't say that right now." Talking about "******" someone in a game is pretty dumb for obvious reasons.

Varist

Smash Lord
I think that saying **** and gay is perfectly fine if it's what you want to do. No one can really stop you from using those words. But just like people can't stop you from doing other things, if you're going to be politically incorrect in certain situations you must always be aware that you could be burning bridges with other people.

I'm used to using those words and I will continue to use them whenever I feel like it's not a big deal to the people around me, but I've had a friend who didn't like me using them, and it's not like I'm such an autist that I had to get into an argument about muh rights and I definitely wasn't going to insert some sense of justice or righteousness into the ordeal. You just have to think, "Is it worth it for me to keep using this word if it makes this person uncomfortable? Do I value my relationship with this person so little that I wouldn't mind if it really got on her nerves?"

I think you could definitely argue both ways. If I'm getting lunch with a friend and I use the word **** I'm not going to care who hears it and what things that brings up because honestly, even if you've been ***** before, I'm not going to account for that wherever I go and you should not expect me to. It's my life, not yours. If you walk up to me and tell me "Don't say that, I was recently ***** and you're reminding me it happened" I will say "I apologize" and go about with my business. That's all I need to do and it's all I will do. There's no reason to start arguments with people that aren't going to benefit you. It's masturbatory. I might as well just be jizzing on your face when I'm arguing with you over something and I know it isn't going to change either of our views.

You also should take into account how the people are acting about it. If I'm using the word **** and someone I don't know, or even someone I do know, tries to start an argument with me about how I shouldn't use that word because it's bad, and they seem to have a social justice warrior thing going on, I can tell them to **** off and not feel bad about it because those people are worse than liberals. Just gauge whether or not you're really hurting the people who take issue with you. The ability to be mean and stubborn about it is always there, no one's going to come and take it away from you, so feeling like you need to argue for it is jizzing in their face. But why **** in peoples' face when you can just be nice? It will serve you better in the future.

KrIsP!

Smash Champion
While I believe you, I hardly see any newcomers on the scene. It's mostly die hard fans and that's why I said I hope the new game revives it. The new game could suck but it's a NEW game so it will draw people to the series and after you are exposed to the series you get introduce to the best game in the series "Melee".
Should check out reddit and see the hundreds of people we've gotten past year thanks to Evo, documentary, and project m. My local scene has so many new faces, new game should bring more, sure but we got back into MLG. We livin'

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Yeah, the scene is definitely growing. I have an entire new crew of around 10 newcomers to the game, and it is constantly growing each time we host a tournament.

Garsykat

Smash Rookie

I completely disagree as well. I can see where you're coming from, however, I (along with my 4 roommates and 2 other friends) just picked up melee in a competitive light AFTER the documentary. I was totally unaware of the level of skill, competitiveness, as well as the the grandeur and resilience of the smash community over the years. So first I would like to give many thanks to Samox for introducing me to this amazing community!

Second, the doc was amazing. After watching it a couple times I already feel a sense of greater understanding of the game as well as developing almost a nostalgic feeling during certain episode (mainly 1-6).

The only other thing I'd like to say is regarding episode 8. Other than the issue regarding terminology (which has been addressed). I personally really enjoyed that episode. Ive seen people bash the scene with Hbox when he was describing tag, but for me that seems to encompass the smash community. Even after all the intensely competitive matches are done with, smashers are about the comradery, and more importantly, community.

EDIT: One last thing, just curious if there is anyway for people who would like to purchase a DVD/Get the extra content. I know there's the issues with copyrights and such so any clarification would be great!

SasukeUchihaSharigan

Smash Rookie
Should check out reddit and see the hundreds of people we've gotten past year thanks to Evo, documentary, and project m. My local scene has so many new faces, new game should bring more, sure but we got back into MLG. We livin'
Yeah, the scene is definitely growing. I have an entire new crew of around 10 newcomers to the game, and it is constantly growing each time we host a tournament.
I don't visit Reddit often but I'll take your word for it. I'm guessing it just where I'm living then. We haven't had any kind of tournament for Melee or Smash in forever. We do have an event coming up in January. So I might see new faces. I forgot about Evo lol. It was pretty epic. I can't believe Nintendo tried to ban the stream. I'm just glad Nintendo isn't afraid to listen to fans. Kinda like Project Rainfall.
Project M is the main game I play in the series. Melee is nice but I just can't get into it for some reason. I think it's the camera although I'm not sure. What is your favorite game in the series?
I'm wondering if he can do a documentary about Project M. I wouldn't mind kick starting or donating.

-ShadowPhoenix-

Smash Bash
NNID
ShdwPhnx
3DS FC
2595-1989-8575
Project M has literally no history to make a documentary on as far as players and rivalries. Only way he could would be the development process of the game itself.

Grizzmeister

Smash Lord
NNID
Grizzster
A new documentary bringing together the best players of Melee to put Project M 3.0 through it's paces would be interesting and possibly even commercially viable.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I realize this is offtopic, but I think that people could get something out of it:

Are there any anime/small gaming conventions in your area Sasuke? The reason why I was able to start up a scene here was that there was a bi-annual gaming convention called TV-spelsjam (video game jam more or less). They had decided to run a melee tournament there, and I showed up and introduced the entire region to competitive play. I made sure to network with a lot of the people I played, and basically told them that I would create a facebook group for all of them that were in town and wanted to play. We started off about 5 or 6 people, we grew after every Tvspelsjam, and we have now merged with a pre-existing fighting game group which has a lot of resources.

So yeah, you will likely have a hard time finding people to play if you never do anything but post on this site. If you want to get a group then you have to be active. Contact any local annual convention, or if there isn't one, try hosting your own smash tournament. Make sure if you do the later to really promote it around town with flyers and stuff like that.

Top Bottom