• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Affiliates - Making appearances here and there since 2006

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Defensive play > offensive play in CvS2.

But I love CvS2 so it's cool.

Also, Sagat says hi and I am super slow and patient.
By patient, you must mean spamming tigerblasts while waiting. v_v

Not true. I haven't gotten better at Melee in a long time and really don't care much for Brawl beyond as a fun new game to play at this point after playing it for a whole day. Frankly, the controls annoy the **** out of me, feel very restricting and sloppy, and it's almost like I'm not only just fighting my opponent, but fighting against the game itself to get it to do what I want.
You're the only person that I've seen that said the controls feel sloppy. To me, I feel like it's more responsive.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Not true. I haven't gotten better at Melee in a long time and really don't care much for Brawl beyond as a fun new game to play at this point after playing it for a whole day. Frankly, the controls annoy the **** out of me, feel very restricting and sloppy, and it's almost like I'm not only just fighting my opponent, but fighting against the game itself to get it to do what I want.
Magus is the only person that makes me happy when he disagrees with me. DM, your post, while insightful as to your gaming history, is entirely irrelevant. BTW I have no idea what your argument consists of with the "there's more you can do in Brawl due to the airdodge system" garbage, but I really really REALLY don't buy it.

We'll see.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Magus is the only person that makes me happy when he disagrees with me. DM, your post, while insightful as to your gaming history, is entirely irrelevant. BTW I have no idea what your argument consists of with the "there's more you can do in Brawl due to the airdodge system" garbage, but I really really REALLY don't buy it.

We'll see.
The airdodge system will allow for a bigger play with mindgames. This isn't just HA, I'm going to tech chase you over and over.

That was my main beef with melee. OTG combos. They don't take as much skill as reading people, and comboing. High end mvc2, vs melee, you'll see a difference in speed in poking-to-combo. As in melee, you just have to hit once, in a number of occasions, to take a stock.

For now, brawl allows for more competitive play. You, and I are both completely entitled to
our own opinions. I would hate to see you leave the brawl community based on a half day of playing.

As for me? I may never play melee again.
I agree with Magus entirely.
That's because if you didn't he wouldn't allow you to be his lapdog! Anyways, you're just mad because mikeman was beasting you all night.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Ya I can see where your coming from. You have to plan things out MUCH slower and the inputs will eventually come out. When I drill with fox or F-air with marth since the game is slower me pressing the inputs faster causes my character to either freeze or to not have the input come out. Thats one explaination as to why it feels like that. To enjoy or just get good at this game you have to literally pull yourself out of the melee physics and begin to just play around with everything.

Personally I have no problem enjoying both games. Smash as a series is good.

DM : what tournaments have you gone to that you have placed top 3. I am curious.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
Ya I can see where your coming from. You have to plan things out MUCH slower and the inputs will eventually come out. When I drill with fox or F-air with marth since the game is slower me pressing the inputs faster causes my character to either freeze or to not have the input come out. Thats one explaination as to why it feels like that. To enjoy or just get good at this game you have to literally pull yourself out of the melee physics and begin to just play around with everything.

Personally I have no problem enjoying both games. Smash as a series is good.

DM : what tournaments have you gone to that you have placed top 3. I am curious.
Like two summers ago, there were tourns all around philly, s-jersey, and delaware. I posted 2nd in like 8 in a row, due to ryoko beating me every time. v_v

dmbrandon

Smash Master
It was a while ago, lemme think. Velocity and Dot showed up to a lot. Pakman, pimpuigi... Ryoko to all of them and joker to a bunch. hmmm Man, it was almost two years ago I forgot so many people's names. Sorry if I forgot you!

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
All of the people who have peaked at Melee can't wait for it to end and keep throwing "something new" out there, and also advising me to let go or whatever. The "new"ness doesn't bother me so much as the fact that this is mass delusion.

It's just people trying to convince themselves that they actually do like Brawl as opposed to the simple fact that they're tired of losing in Melee. If you're tired of losing, just say it. Don't tell ME that I need to let go.
Not true, I haven't peaked in Melee yet, I don't lose a lot in it either, I enjoy playing the characters I do, but I still can't wait until Brawl comes out.

CopyCat

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys its been slow in here so to get thinks moving lets have a meeting this Saturday or Sunday, and please post if you can host a meet at your place or not. I'll be checking on now and then later.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Hey guys its been slow in here so to get thinks moving lets have a meeting this Saturday or Sunday, and please post if you can host a meet at your place or not. I'll be checking on now and then later.
I haven't been to a meeting since like November :(. I'd love to have a meeting at my place but my dorm is too small :(.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Is it possible to shoot for sunday cause there is a brawl tournament on sat...if not..I am sure I can make it after.

I'll ask cristin if she can do it since she can ask her mom now

CopyCat

Smash Journeyman
Also lightxdream I need to get in touch with you just for a sec or two ill talk to you later in the week.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Like two summers ago...
LOL. Yes you are clearly not tired of losing in Melee since 2 years ago you lost to Ryoko 8 times in 8 tourneys.

Not true, I haven't peaked in Melee yet, I don't lose a lot in it either, I enjoy playing the characters I do, but I still can't wait until Brawl comes out.
That's fine, you're not telling me I need to let go of Melee either. So it's not "not true," it's just that I hadn't covered every scenario in my little dichotomy. Falco sucks.

dmbrandon

Smash Master
dmbrandon has a craaaaaaaaazy brawl record in his signature!
>_> Matches include KishPrime, and Mookierah. I lost the first night when I dc'ed.

Edit: Cort has a craaaaaaaazy amount of posts to the left of his messages! :D

Edit2: @ scar: v_v;;;;

Inui

Banned via Warnings
lol, Brandon. You got the game like...first in the whole country. Good job winning against people before it got released here. x_x

If you stay good after everyone else gets it, then you definitely deserve to boast.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
Inui is on target for once.

Besides that, people are playing Brawl for the first time. Of course they are going to feel like moves aren't coming out when they don't understand **** about the game. Getting frustrated over that is just childish. People who haven't played the game yet and attempt to stick to Melee are silly in my opinion.

Sorry if I sound like a little kid but why the hell would I want to stick with Melee when Brawl has Sonic and Snake in it? New stages? New characters? Everyone else is playing it including new compition?

Also, Scar, you are better than me at Melee by tourney rankings. I honestly believe/know that you would most likely be better than me in Brawl if you attempted to play it competitively.

I would hate to beat anyone in Brawl and have them say "play me in Melee, a real game". I will then have to take my Gamecube controller and stuff it down thei....my bad....i meant...ill give um a cookie...... :mad:

I wanna see what happens to the Street Fighter community when pt 4 comes out. This is just rediculous.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Street Fighter 4 will split the community.

Just like Soul Caliber 3 split that community.

Just like MvC2 split the community.

See where I'm going with this.

This is a trend with sequels. It happens and will continue to happen, but the test of time for a community is whether or not they can evolve with the new game and accept the changes that it has. Otherwise the community falls apart or just stays divided.

I think the smash community will just have a big divide.

*shrugs

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Ya I see that happening.

Then again MVC2 has been going on competitively for years despite all the thuggery going on with slicing tires, death threats, and 2k+ money matches and bets

SC3 was a badly made game that ruin the community to a point where no one played it DESPITE revisions to it. Ya console version was that bad.

Sf4 is up in the air but looks promising. The guy who made it made capcom fighting jam but im willing to accept what he said in interviews : ST with 3s elements and new elements.

IMO this will just bring in a new age of people and just go from there. I take it as each game is different...some adapt, some do not and from there we go on.

Scar

#HarveyDent
lol, Brandon. You got the game like...first in the whole country. Good job winning against people before it got released here. x_x
This is a big reason for why I think Brandon is so "pro-competitive Brawl." He and a bunch of other random Melee scrubs are finally winning at something and winning translates into "this game is fun." This is a natural human response and I'm not saying that I even disagree with him, I just hate how IMO this is, again, delusional. It's like he's trying to tell me the game can be more competitive than Melee but I know what he's really saying is that he enjoys winning in Brawl.

For me, I can't nair>nair>uair>knee (or even knee for that matter) which translates into "I hate this ****ing game." And I mean, come on. Brawl is so much more restricting than Melee. No comparison. You can do SO much more in Melee than you can at this point in Brawl, especially in terms of movement, and especially on the ground, and especially in terms of approaches. No air approach FTL.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
This is a big reason for why I think Brandon is so "pro-competitive Brawl." He and a bunch of other random Melee scrubs are finally winning at something and winning translates into "this game is fun." This is a natural human response and I'm not saying that I even disagree with him, I just hate how IMO this is, again, delusional. It's like he's trying to tell me the game can be more competitive than Melee but I know what he's really saying is that he enjoys winning in Brawl.

For me, I can't nair>nair>uair>knee (or even knee for that matter) which translates into "I hate this ****ing game." And I mean, come on. Brawl is so much more restricting than Melee. No comparison. You can do SO much more in Melee than you can at this point in Brawl, especially in terms of movement, and especially on the ground, and especially in terms of approaches. No air approach FTL.

very true the game is more restricted on movesets and such. This is why I feel its more about the approach. Faking out your opponent and situational combos. If you have only 1-4 combos or moves that can be done effectively then you must rely on whiff's and luring to really win the match.

The game is a month old I do not think ANYONE can call it competitive. As I stated I think its worth a shot but so was capcom fighting jam at one point. Then again who knows what will happen 6-10 months from now. All three are uber fun to watch.

BTW the only reason they are winning is, as you said, no one else is playing it. I am sorry but I cannot even fathom a top three placing with pakman and philly around O.o.

But meh...never know 2 years ago was a different time.

EDIT: One thing I never mentioned to scar or anyone was the options in Brawl. For h3 they tweaked the speed and things in the game through forge and gametype settings making the game speed 110% and the recharging of shields 90%. At this point in brawl I have not messed with the settings in Brawl. Gravity might have an ability to be tweaked to suit everyone's needs. Just a thought. Remember even Evo games are speed up a bit heh

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
About the options thing. There is a high gravity mode in Brawl that makes the game more similar to melee from the match vids that I have seen with it.

Let me tell you guys a story. I love KoF XI. Right now it is probably my fave 2-D fighter. Me and some of my boys was playing it this past weekend and we had alot of fun. After about 4 hours we popped in some third strike. Once I started playing I was like...

O_o

HOLY

****ING

****!!!!!!

Why is the game so slow?!! How come I don't have as many options on defense?! How come I can't run?!
How come I can't do awesome beastly combos?! How come I can't short hop?! (Yes, you can short hop on KoF) This game really needs a roll function, wtf?! Then after about 30 minutes, I said, I have to play Third Strike. Not play KoF XI while Third Strike is in my PS2.

Do you get me? Brawl and Melee have two different engines. Can you do less in Brawl then Melee? Yes. But is it limiting? Well, I wouldn't use that word. The thing is with Brawl is that now unlike Melee, it has very specific laws and boundaries in place. Melee's engine laws were easily bended and broken or exploited. With Brawl, things are a bit tougher to exploit because of the boundaries in place.

Is this bad? Yes and no. Yes, because like we all agree, the game is more restricted then Melee. But good, because I had beef with quite a few things in Melee. I didn't like CCing for example. I just didn't like the fact that CCing could destroy someones approach. To me that was lame. I have argued with Kashif countless times about how Shiek is a good character only to be rebukked when he says, in hgih level play she isn't that good since spacies CC her **** all day. To me that isn't fair at all.

In Brawl things are removed from Melee and the laws are in place. Instead of trying to make brawl like melee and super fast and what not, why not just accept that it has a new system with actual boundaries, like pretty much all other fighters. Cept MvC2 of course. lol. That game knows no limits.

And Robert my heart goes out to you man. The system changes just happened to hit CF harder then anyone else. He is still too awesome for words though.

Eggm

Smash Hero
very true the game is more restricted on movesets and such. This is why I feel its more about the approach. Faking out your opponent and situational combos. If you have only 1-4 combos or moves that can be done effectively then you must rely on whiff's and luring to really win the match.

Melee has all this + more.

The game is a month old I do not think ANYONE can call it competitive. As I stated I think its worth a shot but so was capcom fighting jam at one point. Then again who knows what will happen 6-10 months from now. All three are uber fun to watch.

It won't be truly competitive for at least 6 months IMO. If at all (hopeful tho)

BTW the only reason they are winning is, as you said, no one else is playing it. I am sorry but I cannot even fathom a top three placing with pakman and philly around O.o.

But meh...never know 2 years ago was a different time.

EDIT: One thing I never mentioned to scar or anyone was the options in Brawl. For h3 they tweaked the speed and things in the game through forge and gametype settings making the game speed 110% and the recharging of shields 90%. At this point in brawl I have not messed with the settings in Brawl. Gravity might have an ability to be tweaked to suit everyone's needs. Just a thought. Remember even Evo games are speed up a bit heh

Oh and its been out less than a month.

Alex Strife

Smash Hero
Remember EL that Smash has many elements from fighting games and ALSO a customization that no other fighter really has besides turbo/turbo2 options that fighters have. Changing the gravity and speed is something halo has tried and received positive reviews. At this point I say we F around with it and see whats good for everyone. For me I will enjoy the game as it is and also figure out what is best for competitive play. In my case I cannot have one without the other as they are both good communities.

also EL can you post those links to the vids I wanna take a look at them.

Mogwai

Smash Gizmo
BRoomer
I want to expect better of you, but I know not to
Honestly, my only hope for brawl is that Nintendo is mindgaming us really hard and has leaked a fake version of the game over here to punish people who are trying to get their hands on the game early. It would be such an epic mindgame...

So I'm sticking to that, Brawl isn't out yet folks :p.

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
I'm in ur thread.....postin on your boards.

XD XD

I didn't know this thread existed anymore. *subscribes*

With a gravity mode, that will give the brawl***s more fuel against the ppl who actually wanna play this game. I can hear it now, as soon as I try to change the mode.....

Sneak8288

Smash Champion
**** this game lol.... im playin maplestory until starcraft comes out lol.. unless i can combo in brawl somehow im not gonna hav that much fun.... i dont care how slow it is.. as long as i can combo im satisfied... o well i heard alot of microsoft games are gonna start being on nintendo systems.. like viva pinata is comin out for ds and there are screenshots of halo coming out for the ds

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/874/874110/imgs_1.html

i heard they might start workin on it again

SwiftBass

Smash Hero
**** this game lol.... im playin maplestory until starcraft comes out lol.. unless i can combo in brawl somehow im not gonna hav that much fun.... i dont care how slow it is.. as long as i can combo im satisfied... o well i heard alot of microsoft games are gonna start being on nintendo systems.. like viva pinata is comin out for ds and there are screenshots of halo coming out for the ds

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/874/874110/imgs_1.html

i heard they might start workin on it again
halo DS would be kinda awesome. holy **** that'd be awesome.

Top Bottom