• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Smash Affiliates - Making appearances here and there since 2006

pockyD

Smash Legend
well i think the intent was more of air-to-air combat, which theoretically makes lag cancelling unnecessary

also my theory is rutgers at 7:00 or so, but that's just a theory and i don't know what time/where people can make it

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
A few words about Falcon's final smash in Brawl

And, after seeing such, many have expressed disappointment in such a lackluster final smash, considering that Capt. Falcon is a fully complete and operational battle-station. As his punches can ignite entire solar systems within a large galaxy, and as his knees can split atoms, we must remember that this is Super Smash Bros. Brawl. And although it is clear many contestants have been training (high five for Kirby's final smash, cause you can't run from that ****), none of them would stand an any chance against Falcon, should he ever cut loose. Therefore, it is understandable that Captain Falcon chooses to run people the **** over with his pimp Blue Falcon. What better way to cockslap your enemy in the face than "look, if I exerted any more energy into kneeing you, the world would explode, and you would lose instantly. DO YOU NOT KNOW!? So I'm just gonna anally **** you with my automobile, an automobile of which you could never have and never drive, because you need midichlorians to wield this **** it's so fast. Also, know that while I'm running you over, I got two chicks in here trying to suck a basketball through a garden hose. My **** is coincidentally the Cloverfield monster." So, just remember that Falcon is a modest man. He is merciful, and gives everyone a second chance, only to break them better than ever before. The majority of his strength is reserved the babes in his racer.

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
Falco has two guns and can throw his reflector.

That's enough outta you Kashif. LOL. ^_^
i find that falco throwing his reflector now is a bit dumb...but oh well. and i agree, Peach will **** in brawl. i dont even care, im still maining samus, and i will also keep maining pikachu and pick up pokemon trainer and ZSS.

Scar

#HarveyDent
Autocancelling could be much more important, which actually might lead to people with more skill being better. I'm just afraid Brawl will be a perpetual battle of the bad, a neverending n00bfest simply because a large difference in skill translates to only a minimal change in results.

Like Mario Party/Kart.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
dmbrandom: Let me come over your palce sometime so I can test Pit out and IASA on tilts.

I also wanna fool around with Marth.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
Autocancelling could be much more important, which actually might lead to people with more skill being better. I'm just afraid Brawl will be a perpetual battle of the bad, a neverending n00bfest simply because a large difference in skill translates to only a minimal change in results.

Like Mario Party/Kart.
In Mario Kart, large difference in skill translate to large difference in results. Items don't really make THAT big of an impact unless someone is gay, drives backwards and just chases after the best player with a Star.

Cheezit

Smash Ace
Wow was it me or did pika's foward smash out range marths Fsmash :psycho:

And looks like they gave peach's down smash range to him ><

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
http://youtube.com/watch?v=WyHqbpfJ7lY

Crouch cancelling has been removed.

Also in that vid vs Pikachu, Marth still has his combos it seems and his dancing blade is better. Marth's power has remained unchanged it seems. He killed pika as early as 78% with a tipper f-smash. Double Fair still exists and it combos.

<3 Marth

Shield pushback has been greatly increased now. Also seems like more and more competitive players are abusing auto-cancel aerials in matches.

And G-dorf looks ok.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mxfh5MyMdXY

Gotta say that this game is becoming more of a traditional fighter in some respects. I think safe moves will play a much bigger role in the competitive scene now.

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
dang you guys got brawl =/

Are you in Japan or did you come back here with it? If you came back to NJ I've gotta try it. =D

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Whens your next meeting. If its at rutgers again I might be able to make it considering its only an hour away. I need to test jiggly's skills in brawl.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
There are conflicting reports flying all over the place.

One thing I think is that move cancelling is different. Since jumps are higher you have to do the move sooner in the air so that when you land the animation is already finished.

So crismas, tell me something. When you faired from a FC, did you do the Fair then immediately fast fall? Or did you fair, then wait a moment then fast fall?

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
Hm, I gotta remember but I'll let you know by wed. Because I'm not sure, I remember fc nairing perfectly like I did in melee. Maybe I did fall, I will have to confirm this by Wed.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
Elements that allowed 64 and melee to be faster and deeper are gone, such as fastfalling and L-canceling.

It's going to suck, but it's also going to be fun - As a party game.

Keitaro

Banned via Administration
I believe Brawl can be very competitive. Seriously, if you watch my youtube matches its easy to say to we're on top of the suck. I know people would be able to easily 3 stock me later on. We know just about no combos, discovered no new advanced techs, and constantly try old techs that don't work but are hard to notice in the video.

Give it till the summer to decide in my opinion. If anything, give it till the end of the year, but I'm sure I'll be right.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
WoZ: Alot of aerials have less lag and the ones that don't have enough shield pushback to be safe on block with proper spacing.

Some aerials are very punishable,but some need to be otherwise aerials would just be spammed to hell.
After looking at more and more vids I honestly think Brawl will be more ground based.

Also since when does more speed mean a game is better? Honestly Brawl has less depth this is true. And it doesn't compare to melee, but as a stand alone game it's ok. Not amazing. But, it's alright.

The brawl metagame will emphasize the ground game and not aerials. People will pick up on this in a matter of weeks and then matches will look better.

Also I copied and pasted this post I made on SRK.

WW - Dedede (Lee) vs Peach (Ryan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbxTYS8tSq8

WW - Falcon (Lee) vs Ike (Ryan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTRvSsYtEDw

The second vid shows an inkling of what I was talking about before. How brawl's metagame will be more ground based IMO. Take a look at Ike and the moves he is abusing. Namely his standard combo. I think there will be more mix-ups revolving around that. It's already been discovered that characters have IASA frames on thier jabs, so if you jabbed a shield it would create a huge mix-up situation. You could keep going with the natural combo, grab, roll away, pivot grab, dash away, jump back a little into an aerial. And your opponent has some options too. Attempt a shield grab, roll, drop the shield and do something, spot dodge, smash out of shield, or jump cancel the shield into an aerial or airdodge. There may be more options of course. Anyway the key will be to pick an option that will cover most of the options your opponent can choose, is most likely to choose, or the safest option.

Characters that have A combos will probably better then those that have single hit A moves. Also characters that have super armor frames on them will have a nice advantage too. *Stares at Ike.*

Also those who are lucky enough to have infinite A combos like Falco or Marth can rack up damage and then when an opponent is close to DIing away, they can just stop the combo. Most people will shield after that so then it's a free grab, or throw out a move that is safe on block like Falco's f-smash.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Worded that wrong actually. Should have said since when does less speed mean a game will totally suck.

Third strike is pretty slow compared to alpha and super turbo, but it's very good.

Anyway, don't just focus on that one par. Read what Keitaro and I are trying to say.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
It's not just about having less speed, but that it's going to be in a set speed, whereas you have options in melee to vary it.

Playing and speaking with Dave who's had the game for 2 weeks now, it's pretty much my opinion that Melee will stay on top as THE competitive game to play in the smash series. I never expected much out of Brawl in the tournament scene anyway, but I enjoyed playing it.

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
Oh, make no mistake.

I already know that in terms of tournament play, Melee > Brawl by FAR.

Just saying that Brawl is ok and has it's own metagame.

RaptorHawk

Smash Ace
I spent probably a good 4 hours watching brawl being played on sunday. I definitely see brawl being able to be a competitive game.

The reason people are thinking it's not is because of the removal of some advanced tech. This only remains true under the assumption that Brawl is meant to be played like Melee or ssb64. Since this game doesn't play like either the decision on whether this game will be competitive or not will only be known once the metagame gets time to develop.

Dave has said that between him chu and azen that they have already begun discovering combos and gimps, so based on what I've seen and heard I think brawl will be pretty good as a competitive fighter, but we'll just have to wait and see I guess.

Also, I will upload later the Money match between Dave and some random guy.

crismas

Smash Master
NNID
crismaspresents
All I'm gonna say is, give it a chance.

Seriously. 2 weeks isn't going to decipher whether or not it's competitive. If it IS competitive then it will most likely be a different style of play. It is seriously though, still too early to determine what the next year will hold for his game, AND for melee (if it will still be played over brawl competitively and such).

Ken34

Smash Journeyman
hmm, i think you just need to forget about melee and look at brawl as a standalone game, do no comparisons, cause the games are completely different. im excited for brawl, i think it looks really fun, and pikachu + ZSS look awsome, i really want to play and try those 2 guys out.

Warrior of Zarona

変身
BRoomer
It's probably because there was some consistency with 64 and melee that I expected brawl to be the same. But yeah, I'll probably wait to see what it has to offer. My expectations, however, aren't very high.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
It's probably because there was some consistency with 64 and melee that I expected brawl to be the same. But yeah, I'll probably wait to see what it has to offer. My expectations, however, aren't very high.
Ditto :( well I'm gonna buy it and hope for the best who knows maybe I just won't play it for like a year or two and just come back and read all the new tricks and play again LOL.

Anyway Woz I'm glad you made it to pound 3 :) always a pleasure to hang out with you sir ;).

Also Doyoung is amazing as always :) and Scar is an amazing person with an amazing face when he saw a Jiggs ditto on MUTE CITY LOL.

Pakman - good stuff you deserved going to the third death pool :( I had fun playing you though >_<.

Cactus - LOL at your fox you don't shoot lasers wtf >_>. And thanks again to you and Woz for putting me in the regional crews and .. believing in me I hope LOL.

Top Bottom