• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS The Smash 3DS Help and Advice Thread

Tilk

Smash Ace
NNID
Mrs.Tilk
3DS FC
0104-1633-6707
My friend apparently told me that even if you're up a stock in For Glory, if you let the timer run down to 0, the game will go in Sudden Death mode anyways. Can anyone confirm this for me?
I'm sure you've probably figured this out already by now, but yes. if the timer runs out, regardless of stock count or damage, you'll enter sudden death.

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
I'm sure you've probably figured this out already by now, but yes. if the timer runs out, regardless of stock count or damage, you'll enter sudden death.
Actually, I havent because I've never let the timer count down to 0.
How boring of nintendo to do so... but I guess it's supposed to discourage campy play styles... and even then people still play campy! AHH wacky!

Tilk

Smash Ace
NNID
Mrs.Tilk
3DS FC
0104-1633-6707
How boring of nintendo to do so... but I guess it's supposed to discourage campy play styles... and even then people still play campy! AHH wacky!
Probably to free up servers for use too, so it's understandable, yet kind of annoying when you're in the middle of a tense fight only to get thrown into an unfair situation. >.<

Speaking of campy, you have to love the Zelda players sitting at the edge of the stage spamming Din's Fire like it's going out of fashion. XD

Classic.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I don't think I've actually fought a Mega Man. But I bet I would hate it. I think the only people that I could beat without problem are Villagers that think that they are invincible behind their tree, and Captain Falcons that spam their specials.
I think I have finally found my mains. Toon Link, Little Mac, Pit, and maybe Lucario. (I don't know why but Pit's Upperdash Arm is so satisfying to hit with.)

Tilk

Smash Ace
NNID
Mrs.Tilk
3DS FC
0104-1633-6707
Ah. Just thought you might have since you have him listed as your 3DS main.

Surprisingly, I haven't run into many Villagers online, and the ones I have usually don't know what they're doing.

Toon Link is quite the heavy hitter, but light as hell, and Little Mac…. Grr…..
I will admit that the upper dash arm is pretty satisfying…. I rarely end up KOing people with it… which is disappointing.

Oh. and speaking of Capt. Falcon, don't forget the Ganons doing the same thing. (Side B to Down Tilt combo can go jump off a cliff.)

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Mega Man was the first game I played, so when he was released for ssb4, I made it my mission to main him. (And Duck Hunt too cause it has a puppy.) Sadly this hasn't worked out, and I reserve Mega Man for a "just for fun" hind of character. Finally got my Toon Link to go from bad to ok. (Translation: stopped repeatedly rushing in with a dash attack.) I can now consider players that know what they are doing to be a challenge rather than a massacre. (And I'm celebrating this why?) Now if only I could break the habit of the dodge roll...

I met a Ganondorf who thought he was special because he could do a Reverse Warlock Punch. He wasn't.

Tilk

Smash Ace
NNID
Mrs.Tilk
3DS FC
0104-1633-6707
Mega Man is pretty hard to get used to. Lots of technicalities that you have to get used to but after weeks of training and watching tournaments, I feel I've made Mega Man my solid main. (Battle Network 4 Blue Moon was actually my first Mega Man game.)

Toon Link is quite a good character, much more mobile than normal link, but I still feel he can be brought down fairly easily by people that know how to work around his projectile game and often predictable aerial attacks. (Stupid down aerial still gets me every time though...)

Ganondorfs only tend to tick me off on Warlock punchs when they can somehow land one instead of predictable spamming it whenever I try out a lighter character. But the special spamming is still quite evident. Only ever met one good Ganon...

Sonic Heroes for PS2 was the first game I ever played so obviously I'm a huge Sonic fan, and while I love him in Project M, I reserve him as a secondary in Smash 3DS. He just doesn't feel as mobile, despite being the most mobile character in the game probably. Still a fun character as always.

Last edited:

Tilk

Smash Ace
NNID
Mrs.Tilk
3DS FC
0104-1633-6707
Well this interesting...

Either they changed this with the latest update or I've been wrong all along, because last night I was playing one on one and I was up a stock and ran down the timer to test and make sure of my statement and I ended up winning when the timer ran out anyway.

Sorry, please disregard what I said earlier. My mistake. ^^;

Last edited:

Tilk

Smash Ace
NNID
Mrs.Tilk
3DS FC
0104-1633-6707
Quite it's annoying.... But then again, I usually keep them at mid range using the Mega Buster as a spacer. So they never can really close in on me.

flexexp

Smash Rookie
I am fairly new to the experience and the addiction is real! I love it and I love that this community is so dedicated and passionate towards Smash!

Anyways. My question right now is simple. I play on 3DS a lot and one thing I have a big problem with is after a jump or being smashed up....I never seem to land and face my opponent. So as soon as I land I may try to Shield or attack at times and my back is wide open. What can I press/do to make sure when I land from a jump/fall that I am facing my opponent?? Thanks guys.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Be aware of which way your character is facing. If you dodge roll forward, you will always turn around. But don't overdo the dodge rolling. Getting into that habit will greatly hinder your performance. That's about all I can say, I'm not very good.

ShortcutButton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ShortcutButton
I can't figure out how to customize ZL, ZR, and the C-Stick (New 3DS). I would use the C-Stick much more if I could tilt with it, and the ZL and ZR buttons if they were inverted. Any help?

BlueX

Smash Hero
NNID
ukgh01
3DS FC
3325-4567-0562
Recently i have 2 matches with a friend on the 3DS version which i beaten alot on Wii U but for some reason i coulden't beat him on 3DS i consider myself some what okay i have beaten classic on 6.6 (Highest on Wii U) and again beaten my friend on Wii U but coulden't on 3DS? I constently miss all the time and i am also always nervous when i play online can anyone help me?

Last edited:

YouReadMyName

Smash Cadet
I wish they'd have given us a SH button for 3DS... Trying to use ness when not being able to SH consistently is hell. Any advice making this 70% consistency go to 100%?

intuitive2011

Smash Rookie
If I want to practice whiff punishing normal attack or special attacks, what's the best way to do that? I noticed that there isn't a record feature in training/practice (unless I'm blind).

Kiernan

Smash Rookie
NNID
KiernanRogue
I've been playing Smash off and on for a few months now and feel like I'm in a rut. I'm not that good, but I'm not really sure how to get better. The people I play with offline I'm able to beat with minimal effort, but in order to even take a stock off someone online I have to really focus, and even then the fight is usually ridiculously one-sided. This isn't really helped by the fact that I've yet to find a character that I really like (I've got about ten that I cycle through). So I guess my question is: how do I get past this?

Ranias

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ranias
3DS FC
1864-9368-1757
Does double stick DI exist in Smash Wii U?

I recently got a Wii U, and I'm trying to figure out if it is fine just continuing to use a 3ds XL as my main controller, or if I should switch to a better one.

StrykerX

Smash Cadet
I've been playing this game since it came out, started getting serious about it last November, and I feel stuck.
I've made amazing improvement since then, but I'm at a roadblock where I can't seem to improve anymore even though
I'm still quite terrible. I fight people that are worse than me and do dumb things and I still lose. Then sometimes I'll have a really good day and just annihilate everyone in my path. Why does this happen to me? :c

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Show a replay of you on 1v1 so we can see what's wrong.

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
That could be part of it but some days I just feel like I make really dumb decisions.
Look at all your replays, and study what you do. If you notice you do something a lot, than calm down on that specific thing.

My problem in smash is that I do things instinctively. My first response to an attack is a dodge roll, I always jump from a ledge grab, and I'm too offensive. So in theory, if I shielded more instead of dodge rolling (And stop dodge rolling as an approach :facepalm:), vary what I do from a ledge grab, and play more defensively, I would do better. And I know I can do better because I do a ton better when I enter a crisis induced defensive mode. (Meaning my skill level seems to shoot up when around 100% on my last stock. Which can be a double edged sword if I get desperate for a KO.)

StrykerX

Smash Cadet
Look at all your replays, and study what you do. If you notice you do something a lot, than calm down on that specific thing.

My problem in smash is that I do things instinctively. My first response to an attack is a dodge roll, I always jump from a ledge grab, and I'm too offensive. So in theory, if I shielded more instead of dodge rolling (And stop dodge rolling as an approach :facepalm:), vary what I do from a ledge grab, and play more defensively, I would do better. And I know I can do better because I do a ton better when I enter a crisis induced defensive mode. (Meaning my skill level seems to shoot up when around 100% on my last stock. Which can be a double edged sword if I get desperate for a KO.)
I do that often but some matches just go poorly for me even when I know the matchup and the person I'm fighting isn't that great :/

Routa

Smash Lord
So I have problem with the online mode in Sm4sh. Well... Erm... How do I explain this... Well I get random DC from time to time. And no the problem isn't with connection or internet itself. Does anyone know why this happen? It would be great if there was way to fix it, so I wouldn't get random DC in online tournaments again...

StrykerX

Smash Cadet
So I have problem with the online mode in Sm4sh. Well... Erm... How do I explain this... Well I get random DC from time to time. And no the problem isn't with connection or internet itself. Does anyone know why this happen? It would be great if there was way to fix it, so I wouldn't get random DC in online tournaments again...
Only time I've seen this happen is due to a poor connection...

xXAndrossXx

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nint3ndoAndrew35
3DS FC
1693-2073-9269
Before you even decide to get on the competitive field for smash, start training in offline mode and practice on game mechanics such as Techs, Zoning, Spacing, Spikes, etc.

DeliciousDarren

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1435-3664-3412
When you are up a stock on 1v1, the game gives the person who has a higher stock count the win.

Strider_123

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0688-5583-7738
So haven't played this game in a WHILE. Having trouble landing in particular. i notice online and off that some people land and grab immediately. its like they land fast and without any lag. Is it fastfalling? cause i don't really use that too often when landing. when i land there is a "break" animation. what am i doing wrong? is it some sort of technique? I use pit and robin but i find it MUCH harder to land with robin.

Claxus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Claxus
3DS FC
0146-8714-8870
So haven't played this game in a WHILE. Having trouble landing in particular. i notice online and off that some people land and grab immediately. its like they land fast and without any lag. Is it fastfalling? cause i don't really use that too often when landing. when i land there is a "break" animation. what am i doing wrong? is it some sort of technique? I use pit and robin but i find it MUCH harder to land with robin.
There's hardly any landing lag if you just do an empty fastfall. It's there, yeah, but if you're not expecting it, a quick fastfall into a grab can be very effective. It may be harder with Robin because their fall speed and grab isn't the best. Speaking of which, it does also depend on how fast a character falls. Someone like Fox can do it super quick.

Mushrooms OP

Smash Rookie
If any of you guys know an easy way to short hop, fair, fast fall please tell me. I am trying to play as Sheik more and a want to know how to do this easily.

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
Does anyone have any tips for singleplayer training? If I want to practice any particular technique on a moving target, I basically have to pray to the Golden Goddesses of Hyrule that the CPU will cooperate. Multiplayer training is out of the question, since I only have one 3DS. Any advice? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
What would be a good way to practice spacing? I feel that I'm pretty bad at it and that learning to properly/consistently space would help me out a bit.

The thing is that the connection is great. Download speed is 40Mbps and upload 5Mbps and Ping is under 10ms.
Idk, maybe it's the other person and not you

Top Bottom