• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS The Smash 3DS Help and Advice Thread

llFlokoll

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4313-0770-6292
Hey, this question probably was asked pretty often by now, but I'm asking anyway:

What are the most common mistakes new/ inexperienced/ bad players do?

I'm asking to avoid bad habits.
I'm trying to get better at this game, but I living in the countryside, I have no players in my vincinity to get better and learn from, so online mode (with bad rural internet lag, but what can you do) it is.

This is probably a pretty difficult question to answer,but I have a suggestion : Just try to pay attention when you're playing, and notice the things you do that get punished the most. It makes you a smarter and more unpredictable player. I Like to use fast characters so I had this bad habit of dash attacking way too much,and I'd get shield grabbed ALL the time. Eventually I learnt to dash grab, or just fake it out by jumping backwards when getting near my opponent. I noticed this moment where I was being overly punished and developed my tactics to avoid it!

I think that if you maintain this habit of paying attention to when you get punished the most, you will improve as a player,at least a bit :) Hope I helped

llFlokoll

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4313-0770-6292
Two questions:

1. How does catching items/projectiles work? I've seen people catch Pac-Man's fruit while on the ground and in the air and I'm not sure how they're doing it.

2. What is the most effective method the escape a grab / Yoshi's egg / Wario's bite? Does pressing buttons do anything or is it all to do with the circle pad?

Besides what CommanderVines said, keep in mind that when you're at higher damage percentages, it's harder to get rid of a grab. That's why usually when you get grabbed at 100% or more, people hit you like 3 or 4 times before they throw you. At 0% if they hit you once, you'll probably get released before they manage do throw you. So don't get frustrated if you get hit a lot when grabbed at high percentages,it will be inevitable ^^

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
How to edgeguard people who airdodge whenever I try to kill them offstage (and possibly dealing with airdodging in general)? Whenever I try to gimp somebody offstage (usually with a Bair with most of my characters) or do some juggles, they can simply airdodge away and still return back to the stage. Its so infuriating.

Demp

Smash Journeyman
Where can I find an online community or chat room where I can find friendlies or ranked play?

Grass

Smash Lord
How to edgeguard people who airdodge whenever I try to kill them offstage (and possibly dealing with airdodging in general)? Whenever I try to gimp somebody offstage (usually with a Bair with most of my characters) or do some juggles, they can simply airdodge away and still return back to the stage. Its so infuriating.
Stupid easy, Air dodge has frames, hit them at the end of the air dodge frame and you're good. Just don't use multis (i.e. Mario tornado) and you'll be fine.

kamadoma

Smash Rookie
NNID
Kamadoma
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic. I'm just curious if this is normal. For online, my battles, victories and losses don't add up in the fighter stats. My Yoshi has 11 battles, but the victories says 2 and the losses says 8. ZSS has 3 battles, but victories are 0 and losses are 2. I've only had 1 dropout and it was none of those two characters. Anyone know the reason behind the inconsistency?

TekKnite

Smash Cadet
Smash 3DS Help and Advice Thread

Hey, ya'll, Venus here. There have been a lot of questions regarding Super Smash Bros. 3DS - especially from new beginners who are starting their addiction to the game with the 3DS. Many of these questions have become individualized threads which have started to clog up the 3DS section. Therefore, this thread is for members, old and new to post questions regarding the game as well as a way to ask for advice. If you would like to improve in the meta game, come here and ask a question! We also welcome advanced players to come and post here to offer suggestions and help. This is not a mentoring thread so please keep that in mind prior to posting. I will be also merging this with threads that ask for questions and help. Please understand that maybe your question may not be answered but we ask for you to be patient. There isn't a reason to spam the thread with the same question.
I think finding the character you for sure want to main then look up combos and find tournaments on youtube and guides o here

J087

Smash Rookie
I would like some advice for running Smash Run. I die at least 3 times in each run with several characters.

Many creatures seem to be over-powered, should I simply run past them?
And are there tips on finding doors easier?

GreenFlame

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0275-7873-0005
You know how characters having slower, more powerful getup attacks when above 100% was removed in Smash 4? Well, is it just me, or is the neutral getup animation (when you input towards the ledge and just get up) still slower at 100+%? It seems that way.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I would like some advice for running Smash Run. I die at least 3 times in each run with several characters.

Many creatures seem to be over-powered, should I simply run past them?
And are there tips on finding doors easier?
I've done a lot of smash run myself, so I can tell you my impressions.

You can start with custom equipment if you want, but it isn't necessary. I personally did all my smash runs without equipment (just smash powers), because in some cases certain stats (like jump or run) got boosted to crazy levels, which made spacing with those moves difficult, and then ended up with the jump or race final challenge and lost because I couldn't properly control my character and kept SDing on the mines and stage hazards. :-/ Best to start with a vanilla build and end with more modest, but balanced, stats, IMO, unless you don't care about winning the final battle.

Next, let's talk about smash powers. Hands down the best smash run power for me is the horizon beam. This is most useful for clearing the mini-games behind doors quickly, which lead to big prizes. They work best on the target smash mini-game, crystal smash mini-game, and "defeat all enemies" mini-game. They can also be used to clear out a screen-ful of enemies quickly if you get boxed in (like, in the room with the glowing red hazard floor). I load up on those until my char can't carry anymore. The second best smash power is health recovery, but I only picked that one if my character could carry more powers after loading up on horizon beams.

There are plenty of creatures you can't defeat easily. Run past them. It's worth it to stop and defeat the easy enemies, especially at the beginning of a run, but otherwise, I kept moving. While you run and jump, you slowly gain more stat bonuses in those areas, so your char is still improving. My primary goal when playing is to run through the stage looking for treasure chests and doors. They appear randomly in only certain specific locations on the map, as you get used to doing smash run you'll start remembering where to look. Generally, you can get more and better loot this way, which leads to a really good balanced character to take into the final battle.

Next, let's talk about the final battle. Best that I could tell, the final battle is chosen at random, and could be a mini-game, like jump the highest, or run to the finish line first, or they could be a variation on a smash battle (team smash, easy launch smash, etc).

For the jump and run mini-games, make sure you're very methodical in how you navigate the levels. As the mini-game progresses, mines and glowing red sections of floor will appear. Touch these, and you get instantly KO'd. It's better to go a little bit slower, but space your jumps properly, than risk hitting the hazard and getting sent pretty far back as a result. Characters that are lagging will get item drops, like temporary increased speed, the bunny ears, or an invincibility star. Characters that are in the lead will also start facing smart bomb drop hazards in the jump mini-game, so make sure you move upwards in a zig-zag pattern across the stage to keep from getting hit by them.

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:

J087

Smash Rookie
Thank you Engrade for your detailed reply. I'll try playing in an "exploring-mode", dodging big enemies and learning about the entire cave. My main goal right now is obtaining equipments for Mii - customization so it's easier to play on a higher intensity.

One question though. Those special powers are only a one-time-use?

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
Anyone else have their 3DS disconnecting locally? I played with two friends earlier and had no issues, but playing with two different people ended up a DC for around 5 matches in a row, kicking me out usually after the match, before the results screen. The other two stayed in, but rejoining only resulted in disconnecting after the match.

So, I'm not sure if it's my 3DS, since I would expect it to have the same issues with every 3DS.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Thank you Engrade for your detailed reply. I'll try playing in an "exploring-mode", dodging big enemies and learning about the entire cave. My main goal right now is obtaining equipments for Mii - customization so it's easier to play on a higher intensity.

One question though. Those special powers are only a one-time-use?
Smash run powers can be used in any number of runs, by any number of characters. When in the middle of a run, you get a certain number of uses only, which is dependant on the level of the power (a high level power can be used more times in a single run than a low level power).

I personally did smash run repeatedly to finish the challenge tile where you win the smash run final battle with every character on the roster. If you want to collect custom moves and custom equipment, the best way is definitely playing classic mode on any difficulty level, though the higher the difficulty setting, the more and better prizes you'll get. If you're using the home button exploit (link), you can guarantee you'll get wrench drops from the spinner (or trophy drops, if that's what you want to collect). When doing a single run of smash run, I'd get maybe 3-5 wrench drops, and easily double that by playing classic.

Los4Muros

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Los4Muros
3DS FC
2852-9328-5396
OK, I'm starting to get the hang of the meta game (well kind of). Can somebody please explain to be about the frames?
I keep reading different information all about it, but can't really understand it. I can understand Hits of frame, Hitboxes end. But BKB, KBG and Hitbox angle are nothing I can understand. If you guys can give me a link to a guide if it's too hard to explain, that'd be great.

Hits on frame:

Hitboxes end:

Max Hitbox BKB:

Max Hitbox KBG * Damage:

Max Hitbox Angle:

EmblemCrossing

Smash Apprentice
NNID
EmblemCrossing
3DS FC
1590-4692-1363
Can anyone tell me how to change my online name so that its not a lame boring name and so people can find me?
I'm pretty sure it's connected to your 3DS name that you use. Changing your Mii's name should do it.

Drippy

Smash Ace
Okay so I've gotten around to learning terms like hitbox (obvious),slag,nair,fair,zair,etc. but what's stuff like hit stun and frame trap? Perhaps any other terms I need to learn?

Last edited:

MetaKnight956

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2981-7717-3785
I can't beat classic mode on even 6.0 intensity and I have never won online. Any advice? Or could someone give me there friend code so they can train me? I have Skype.

sliefer

Smash Rookie
Hey guys =)
I just have one question ^.^ I also dont know if i post this on the right thread :$
I want to buy the new 3ds with Super Smash Bros when it cames out in Europa. But is Super Smash Bros 3ds online playable ? I love Super Smash Bros and it is my favourite game since Super Smash N64..
Also never played Super Smash Bros online before so I focused on online gaming ^.^
I heard that, if you want to play with 4 person it is lagging like hell. But 1vs1 is okay...
I play this game for fun ^.^ so it would be nice if 4 person smash is playable

Yeah that was my Question ^.^and sry if I do many mistakes :p English is not my Mother tongue

llFlokoll

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4313-0770-6292
Hey guys =)
I just have one question ^.^ I also dont know if i post this on the right thread :$
I want to buy the new 3ds with Super Smash Bros when it cames out in Europa. But is Super Smash Bros 3ds online playable ? I love Super Smash Bros and it is my favourite game since Super Smash N64..
Also never played Super Smash Bros online before so I focused on online gaming ^.^
I heard that, if you want to play with 4 person it is lagging like hell. But 1vs1 is okay...
I play this game for fun ^.^ so it would be nice if 4 person smash is playable

Yeah that was my Question ^.^and sry if I do many mistakes :p English is not my Mother tongue

1v1 is pretty good, I play most of my matches with absolutely no lag. The thing is, the distance between players and each player's internet connection will influence the ammount of lag you guys get . When you try to play with 3 random people from the internet, there's a huge chance one of you will have a bad connection with the rest, and end up lagging it for everyone. But if you manage to get together with 3 friends that you know have a good connection with you, you should have no problem :)
Enjoy the game and call me if you wanna play, haha!

sliefer

Smash Rookie
okay haha =)
I am going to buy a new 3ds with super smash brothers =D also i am very excited to play this game online ^.^

Thx :p i will call you soon :D

Lime Cultivist

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3368-3457-2010
I have 2 questions, and it's good to have this thread so I don't have to make a new one because I'm sure it would be unnecessary. First, were Puff's sound effects changed in one of the updates? I know that in Melee Puff sounds like "puff!", "jiggly!" but Purin is like "pwih!" I remember those "pwih" sound effects from 3ds a while ago and they were so adorable and I loved them but now her SE seems to be back to English Puff. And no, I've never had my system in Japanese. I'd love those SE's back again - it actually made me want to play her more. And for the second question, why should I play Smash 4? I really have no motivation, because (no offense to Smash 4 players), why should I play this game when I can lose to someone in a match and then 4 stock them in Melee and Smash 64? Losing I don't mind, but losing to things that would never have worked in another Smash really takes the fun out of matches. Smash 4 is great but I guess my tactics haven't transferred over, even with Melee speed and 64 spacing.

HyruleSmasher

Smash Cadet
hey guys just want to know. Does it still lag online with the 3ds?

I really want to start playing online competitive battles and then migrate to the Wii U later in the year (reason i live in south America).

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
I have 2 questions, and it's good to have this thread so I don't have to make a new one because I'm sure it would be unnecessary. First, were Puff's sound effects changed in one of the updates? I know that in Melee Puff sounds like "puff!", "jiggly!" but Purin is like "pwih!" I remember those "pwih" sound effects from 3ds a while ago and they were so adorable and I loved them but now her SE seems to be back to English Puff. And no, I've never had my system in Japanese. I'd love those SE's back again - it actually made me want to play her more. And for the second question, why should I play Smash 4? I really have no motivation, because (no offense to Smash 4 players), why should I play this game when I can lose to someone in a match and then 4 stock them in Melee and Smash 64? Losing I don't mind, but losing to things that would never have worked in another Smash really takes the fun out of matches. Smash 4 is great but I guess my tactics haven't transferred over, even with Melee speed and 64 spacing.
Not too sure about jiggs SE, maybe you could ask the character boards. I don't understand why you'd need someone to motivate you to play this game. If you feel better playing the other smash games then by all means play them, no one is forcing you to play Smash 4.

You say that you can 4 stock said person in melee/64, but lose to them in this game? Well obviously it's because they are different games. Experience and fundamentals in previous games carries over for sure, but really the mechanics change from game to game. If Smash kept the same pace/mechanics from game to game, what exactly would set them apart? I enjoy all versions of Smash because each has something unique about them. Sure I may miss wavedashing, but I also enjoy being able to kick more *** now playing my original main from 64 in Smash 4.

hey guys just want to know. Does it still lag online with the 3ds?

I really want to start playing online competitive battles and then migrate to the Wii U later in the year (reason i live in south America).
Yes lag is going to be inevitable whenever you play online. It depends on you and your opponent to both have good connections so that the lag is not noticeable. I tolerate playing online and played a lot of matches seemingly lagless and also have matches where lag is excruciating. Fg is an alright spot for online competition, but try Anther's ladder sometime. You're bound to find a better selection of opponents to play and learn from.

Shychi

Smash Rookie
I'm a new player, and the only Smash game I own is Smash 3DS. At no point in the future do I see myself being able to play Smash Wii U in the future. What I want to know is this; Is there a competitive scene for Smash 3DS? I live in Michigan and I haven't really been able to find much in terms of a Smash community here, especially in the Lansing area where I live. Anything I have found hasn't said anything about being able to play Smash 3DS. Is there no point in trying to get involved in a competitive scene for Smash 3DS? Am I better off finding somewhere to put my Wii and tracking down a copy of Melee or finding my copy of Brawl?

Tantei

Smash Cadet
NNID
RedSouji
3DS FC
1375-7405-0216
Okay can anyone tell me how to up throw - up air as like marth or pikachu. When I try it I get people airdodging or DI out of it. I do it at low percents too. When someone else does it to me at even high percents I can't airdodge because I get stuck in this like stun animation.

samekh

Smash Rookie
Meh, nvm.
------------------------------

Last edited:

Hayore

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, new to smashboard and my first post here.

So I'm getting the new 3ds on release date and I will probably get smash too.
But there are some questions that I have that i would like to ask before i buy the game.

I live in Germany and I'm afraid that it will lag online even in 1v1 if I am playing against people from another region. Has someone experienced this when playing with people from another continent? (Or will i just play against people from Europe?)
Secont question, are there still many people playing? I remember wanting to play Brawl online and it took a very long time to find an opponent. My last question is about the control-stick. I've seen pictures of them being broken after playing Smash. Has Nintendo addressed this problem with the new 3ds and made it more durable?

Thanks in advance ;)

robotman5

Smash Rookie
NNID
r0b0tman5
3DS FC
0447-8292-2740
i am having trouble beating Duck Hunt and lucina. I always end up losing to them and that means i cant unlock them.... what should i do?

LeftyOfficial

Smash Rookie
NNID
LeftyOfficialNES
What helps me learn about different characters and how people use them is the online spectator mode I just hop in there anytime I'm eating or multitasking and learn a few new tricks and how people play different characters which is one of the problems with just playing single player. In single player you see how an AI would act and you learn to adapt to the AI but when you try to step out of single player you get destroyed. Try exposing yourself and seeing how other players react in certain situations whether that be just spectating or hopping into For Glory/Fun to try to build your own unique style. Those are my best tips good luck!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
@ LeftyOfficial LeftyOfficial Thanks for the advice. Now I understand why I can defeat level nine CPUs In ***** succession, and then lose to a player who has no idea what he is doing. Also why it is harder to fight lower leveled CPUs when you demolish level nines. It seems all CPUs do is get you used to a pattern, and when you fight people when you are accustomed to that pattern, they demolish you.

LisaLisa444

Smash Rookie
How do I punish people when the match has severe lag? Seriously whenever there is an obvious opening it seems the inputs just stop going in.

Akhenderson

Smash Apprentice
My friend apparently told me that even if you're up a stock in For Glory, if you let the timer run down to 0, the game will go in Sudden Death mode anyways. Can anyone confirm this for me?

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The ranking system seems to be flawed. I'll fight a bunch of people who have no idea what their doing (To the point where I don't think they are trying) and five battles later I fight someone who is actually good and get demolished. rinse and repeat.
I have never fought someone that has been a good match for me. I guess I would like too hard over too easy but I think I would learn more if we were evenly matched.

Tilk

Smash Ace
NNID
Mrs.Tilk
3DS FC
0104-1633-6707
(Honestly don't know how I haven't been actively using this site seeing how much I love smash..)

Anywho,
I've been experiencing some rather unsightly lag online in random matches, primarily 4 player matches. I have a very stable internet connection and it works great with friends but 1 time out of 20 I'll actually get a match that doesn't immediately disconnect me or have severe lag throughout in random matches.
Again, this is only happening with 4-player random matches (i.e.: Smash, Team Smash etc. One on Ones work fine for the most part.) Has this been happening to a lot of people recently or has this always been a problem?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom