• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS The Smash 3DS Help and Advice Thread

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Smash 3DS Help and Advice Thread

Hey, ya'll, Venus here. There have been a lot of questions regarding Super Smash Bros. 3DS - especially from new beginners who are starting their addiction to the game with the 3DS. Many of these questions have become individualized threads which have started to clog up the 3DS section. Therefore, this thread is for members, old and new to post questions regarding the game as well as a way to ask for advice. If you would like to improve in the meta game, come here and ask a question! We also welcome advanced players to come and post here to offer suggestions and help. This is not a mentoring thread so please keep that in mind prior to posting. I will be also merging this with threads that ask for questions and help. Please understand that maybe your question may not be answered but we ask for you to be patient. There isn't a reason to spam the thread with the same question.

Aeronautics said:
Hello all. I have been playing Smash as a party game since the original, and I have recently acquired a copy of the 3ds version of the game. With the online compatibility working better than the last iteration of the game, I've become a lot more interested in playing this game more competitively. That being said, I'm kind of in the dark when it comes to finding a place to start reading and learning mechanics etc. My question is, where would one start to read/learn about the competitive side of this game when they have not been exposed to it much (unfamiliar with slang/abbreviations and strategies)?

Last edited:

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
The best way to start is probably to watch some tournaments and listen to the commentators, they generally do a good job explaining the basics of the metagame. You can also pick up some tips from watching good people play.

Try checking out the Shockwave series and the Smash 4 invitation from the TourneyLocator channel. So far it's the best Smash4 footage I've seen:

https://www.youtube.com/user/TourneyLocator/playlists

Carrill

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3325-2718-4699
I'd say that lurking Smash Boards is good enough. When the metagame becomes more developed, try checking out a guide for your favorite character. Also, watch competitive players, figure out the techniques they use, and imitate what they do.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Start by mastering single player modes, then go on to the deeper stuff. Tournament spectating helps, as does SmashWiki.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Unless it isn't possible I recommend attending an in-person event. My smash friends have been invaluable in my growth as a competitive player.

There is no substitute to have deep disscussions with people who know more about the game than you.

brentosfreshness

Smash Cadet
NNID
brentvickers
hichez50 is absolutely correct. To play off that post, also check out Smash Lounge in addition to this website, as well as the Smash Wiki. Both of those sites have great in depth analyses that explain most of the game mechanics at a basic level. Other than talking to others about smash that know more than you, try to make a habit of playing against people that are better than you, get them to teach you and punish you over and over and over.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Unless it isn't possible I recommend attending an in-person event. My smash friends have been invaluable in my growth as a competitive player.

There is no substitute to have deep disscussions with people who know more about the game than you.
You can still do this online assuming the game's online is playable (which, so far, it seems like it is). I had good sets with a number of top divekick players on steam when I was competitive at that game. That's far in the future though. You have to understand the metagame at a pretty deep level before that type of top-level competition will really be helpful for you. If you're still new, you'd just get stomped and not really understand why you're losing.

That's why I recommend the commentary, when you watch matches the commentators will often point out where someone screws up and how it costs them the match. Then you can start to identify when you make mistakes in your own game.

Last edited:

neetaholic

Smash Rookie
Watching replays or spectating matches with good players is a very good way to learn any game as a first step.

Afterwards, take what you've learned to single player Smash against hard AI. It won't teach you how to play the game against a human, but I've found the AI competent enough to get the basics down, at least : the mechanics of your main (good moves and bad moves, knowing which leave you vulnerable and which are safe), punishing whiffs, gimping recoveries, recognizing patterns (as an AI, it does have patterns of course, but being completely unpredictable is hard even for a human. Learning to recognize patterns will be very helpful against the vast majority of other players, especially the majority of Little Macs infesting the online mode), etc. You are also not penalized for lag and do not need to take into account input delay (I have a 25 mbps connection and while I can always tech offline, I've found it's much harder online for me for whatever reason - I assume it to be lag). Also, since the only stage in For Glory is FD, which is not the case in tournaments, it will help you familiarize yourself with the other stages used.

It is a good idea when playing against the AI to set up some learning goal for yourself. For instance, set yourself a definite area you'd like to improve : "I will only attack to punish whiffs and misses and will not play offensively", for instance, to get better at taking advantage of opportunities, "I will only shield attacks and grab" to get better at this specific kind of punishing method, "I will only dodge by using spotdodging/airdodging" to work these reflexes, "I will only use a specific move chain/combo like dthrow > utilt > uair/fair until I can kill or it no longer works" are all examples. You don't need to win, the AI doesn't care about you horsing around and limiting yourself, just learn the mechanics! Vary the characters you play against so you are familiar with all of them and their attacks.

Meanwhile, keep watching replays while developing your knowledge. Once you know the game enough, start analyzing them with a critical eye : what went wrong for the loser? What mistakes did he make? How did the other player capitalize on them? What patterns were present, and if there were none, how did the players mix it up? Keep mental or pen and paper notes, the latter is useful to review.

The next step is then to either play online against random people or get some sort of mentor/tutor who will help you further your learning. If it's someone you know, try playing matches against him/her and with his/her knowledge, limiting yourself as you have done with the AI previously to target only a few facets of the game at a time, so opportunities to practice can be fed to you in a realistic way. It's nice to ask your mentor to play a specific strategy and learn to counter it, the same way one might learn a martial art by sparring games. In Judo, we often use a "game" where one dude attacks and one dude can only defend. We can also limit the kind of throw used. It's a way of learning that works.

Attend tournaments and play friendlies or cozy up to some people, or maybe try asking on the boards. I've found many online game boards have some kind of a voluntary tutorship program - that might be a good idea here. You could also do all of the above at the same time, whenever a specific step tickles your fancy, but I like to keep offline until I feel I am relatively decent. This way, I avoid frustration and don't get discouraged at the early stages. It's also a way to boost confidence so I don't give up once the going gets rough against humans, it's the same principle that scammers use on their victims, the "investment principle". If a person has invested so much money already, even if they catch on that it might be a fishy deal, they are likely to truck on because if they don't, they automatically lose; if they do, even if it's a snowball's chance in Hell that the offer is legit, they still might win out. Basically as applied : "I've done all of this work already, all that's left is learning what's germane to playing against humans and tune up on the fundamentals, so why should I stop now and turn all my hours of work into a clear waste of time?"

I have learned many games this way, and I'm just starting to learn this one, but I'm seeing improvements by the day. Like you, I have played the series a long time but always casually. It's a method that works for me. Good luck!

voogle951

Smash Rookie
This is my first smash game that I actually want to take seriously but their is literally no way to improve. Online is filled with people who are a million times better than me and all my friends who have the game can't even figure out how to turn off items. Is their some sort of rookie training ground or something? I want to love this game but I can not see myself getting any better under these circumstances.

SevenYearItch

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3969-6079-3846
This is my first smash game that I actually want to take seriously but their is literally no way to improve. Online is filled with people who are a million times better than me and all my friends who have the game can't even figure out how to turn off items. Is their some sort of rookie training ground or something? I want to love this game but I can not see myself getting any better under these circumstances.
Thats exactly how you get better. Go online and get molly whopped on until you figure out WHY you're losing. Playing against people just as good (read: amateur) as you will only put you on a playing field where you learn nothing. Play For Glory, find someone who beat you REALLY bad and play them until they leave or you finally win 2 in a row.

xXShadeXx

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-3241-7928-4020
^ That's something you could do. You can also find people on smashboards who'd be willing to help you. I'm sure there's quite a few who'd be willing to help you out with improving.

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you; I've played Brawl a little bit, but never online. I'm still trying to figure out a lot of things, but I can give you the advice I know. A lot of people will probably tell you to pick a character you like and then learn his/her moves in solo mode. Work your way up the CPU levels until you can defeat level 8s consistently. You can fight level 9s if you want, but their reflexes are superhuman and doesn't really prepare you for online play.

I'm really just playing a lot of 1v1 For Glory in an attempt to get decent. Either I just got a lot of mediocre players tonight, or I'm improving slightly. I get trashed a lot, but hey, you can't win them all. Honestly, there's no magic switch you can flip to make yourself suddenly become a pro. I believe if you just play the game against human opponents, you'll get better over time.

Of course, it's always good to make an effort to watch good smash players on youtube and twitch. Learn some of the smash lingo to make things easier on the forums. Good luck and remember to have fun; I find myself stressing out over this game way too much and it really takes the enjoyment out of it. Remember that whenever you lose, don't get frustrated, but try to think what you did wrong and how you should react in that situation again.

JC Ralls

Smash Cadet
Just keep playing, keep losing and keep improving. Take note of what those beating you are doing and use the knowledge and experience to improve your own game. Not many advanaced techniques have been found yet in Smash 4 because it's still new, but try shorthopping more and don't all into a newbie mindset of thinking dash attacks are safe. Think about what your opponent is doing and predict when your best opportunities to attack are. Like any fighting game, you have to learn what each and every character can do so you can expect what attacks could be coming your way. Practise, practise, practise :)

Scourge The Hedgehog

Evil Sonikku
NNID
JayJayPlushie
3DS FC
2535-4437-8099
You could even go as far as reaching out to some players and ask if someone would like to have practice seasons with you. If there is a certain character you want to learn then have them help you learn.

I'll give you the secret to this all the Smash games. DO NOT ROLL. It looks like the best option but trust me when I say you'll become predictable to a smart player and you'll be punished properly. There are so many times I watch people rolling all over the place thinking it is a good thing to do. I just sit there with a charged smash attack.

The more you play the better you'll get. Win or lose.

dd_ray

Smash Rookie
NNID
dray
3DS FC
0404-5755-0943
A few things...
Training mode helps a lot to learn a character you're trying to use.
Try and take note of things that made you lose ( rolling too early, spamming, not edge guarding etc.) and try to work on those.
The biggest thing however, is practice. Just play, play play play and play some more. People posting above are correct in that the best way to improve is to get your butt spanked hard by people better than you. Study what they do, try to mimic it (to an extent, not 100% still gotta learn your own style)
JUST KEEP PLAYING! You'll get better i promise :p

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
I would love to play you, that way I can see what you are doing wrong. However, I just moved, so I have no internet right now.

But yeah, practice, watch people who are better than you play, and pay attention to those frames.

DugongLaw

Smash Rookie
My story goes:
I always planned on maining Mac. The game came out and I did just that.

I had a win rate of 97 percent over 150 games.

I moved on from Mac, largely because of the online crying. On top of that, it was so easy I just sort of got bored.

This is my first time playing smash seriously, so I tried lots of different characters... And all day today I got pummeled over and over.

Yesterday I was doing well all day even with people like Samus and DK. But today I just dropped the ball and I feel like a complete scrub.

I can't combo at all. I can't chase people into the air or off the stage. Definitely not as people like falcon or Yoshi - I'm too slow and miss every time basically.

I've had people keep me in the air and follow and predict me perfectly. I feel like I'm a noob who has never even played the game before.

Lichi

This is my war snarl
Assuming that you get matched based on your previous successes, you now just get opponents fitting for your 97% win rate but without playing the character you're so good with yourself. So even if you won't catch up to your opponents, the match making should get you easier opponents over time that you can train with in a sensible way.

Brosheep

Smash Rookie
NNID
Brosheep
3DS FC
4725-7941-8345
I say you should keep improving your Mac. If you're actually good at him, you could give good opponents good games. And I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people on here looking for exactly that!
I also agree with the above post- I don't really think you should be facing opponents above your skill level as characters you can't play. Perhaps you should give them some time. And, though I'm new here, I'm sure some people will gladly help you out on the character forums if you're interested in certain characters. In the meantime, keep playing a good Mac! If you deliver good games, I don't see as many reasons to complain.

DugongLaw

Smash Rookie
I find that with characters like Captain Falcon I mess up approaching damn near every time.

I just panic, I definitely don't excel at it.

I'm looking for a main that actually clicks with me, rather than trying to force myself into an unnatural playstyle

Super Writer

Smash Apprentice
Just about every move Ganondorf has is a kill move, the trick is actually hitting someone. He's fairly easy to use and in hectic four player fights he'll have no problem sneaking up and hitting someone, and Warlock Punch now has some super armor to it, and can KO easily at 30-50% depending on positioning and the size of the stage.

Also I've come to really like Rosalina's Up Air, it's great for picking off enemies with high % on them, comes out fast, has good priority and really she's just really good in the air. Her Up Smash is no doubt her best one, but lacks range, and Luma Shot is great for picking off weakened opponents from the side while everyone else fights each other.

From watching opponents online, Little Mac's neutral B just cuts through everyone, making it a very effective kill move on multiple opponents at once if their % is high, Ike's up smash still destroys everything and I'm not sure about this don't quote me here but I think it has super armor on it, Shulk's counter can be pretty deadly and effective Luigi players will sneak up on you to get in his Super Jump Punch.

GoldenBoy25

Smash Cadet
NNID
GoldenBoy12
3DS FC
5043-3152-3802
Toon Link is a character that is pretty good at racking up damage and has some decent KO potential as well.

xExcel

Smash Apprentice
If all you want is KO moves just choose a heavy character, preferably one with armor that won't flinch during a smash attack

DugongLaw

Smash Rookie
The thing is, the KO power on its own isn't useful if the character just gets bullied and controlled, that's why I was hoping for a bit of a mix

RedFly

Smash Lord
NNID
RedFlyNinja
3DS FC
0018-1836-2825
I can't complete it?! I've done this challenge multiple times but it just won't unlock. I got 32 KOs on a 3-Minute Smash once and it still wouldn't work. Did anyone else have this struggle?!

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Did you play a 3-minute timed smash game or the multi-man melee 3-minute smash against miis. It wants you to play the game with the miis.

Roko Jono

Smash Apprentice
Don't worry about it haha. I was literally just about to do that too, but the challenge I did before it was the 10 man melee or whatever and I saw 3-minute melee and I thought oooohhhhhhhhhhhhh

Crendog

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0318-7435-8104
I want to join an online tournament but I'm having trouble finding one, and all the ones I have found are no longer accepting entrants, so if you know of one could you send me a link to the registration. Thank You

YamiKitsune

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1006-0928-7336
Last edited:

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
Blackmailed into getting the full game? WHAT!? LOL :confused::confused::confused:

It seems you need to explain your story a little more cause this just sounds too farfetched to be perfectly honest. That or your trolling us with some silly topic :p But this is certainly not the place to ask for donations in getting the full game. I doubt this is some life or death situation because that would be utterly ridiculous, although the way you make it sound alludes to it feeling like it is sadly.

Last edited:

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Um... Ok?
Here's a code:
N0TA-FAK3-C0D3
:laugh:
But seriously, this sounds a bit too farfetched...

Last edited:

UnsuspectingVillager

Smash Cadet
NNID
Blockyraccoon
3DS FC
0430-8629-1274
In Training mode, if I were to set the speed to 1/4 and do my regular combos, do you think it would help, say for the timing? I'm always looking for new ways to get better.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
it would help you get the button order down, but most of this game is reflexes and slowing the game down would hurt that.

Top Bottom