• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS The Smash 3DS Help and Advice Thread

RazorPikachu

Smash Rookie
So I've never been into fighting games but I decided to get into them and need help. I'm extremely bad I don't really understand spacing at times and I can't seem to get close to beating people online. My FC is 0920-0433-6819 please help :) even if it's just us playing each other regularly and you telling me what I did wrong afterwards. (I'm not sure if I'm getting the wii u but depending if I get a bit better I might get one and try competitive )

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Well if definitely won't hurt you. :p

Joking aside, slowing it down was implemented for a reason, and it's for that exact reason that you stated above. It's so you can understand the timing, spacing, sweet spots and so on. Obviously, you shouldn't practice exclusively at that play-speed, but you should mess around with it for sure. Best of luck to ya.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
It's really good to test/understand auto-cancel windows on aerials. Make sure you do it repeatedly in 1x speed so you get the correct muscle memory down!

oldkingcroz

Smash Apprentice
The best way to get good is to practice. Try out all the characters (having the game on random helps, imo) and play a lot with friends/ family/ online folk/pros. Get a feel for the game, characters, and atmosphere and I'm sure if you are really motivated enough, you'll improve. Good luck. I'm sure there is a bunch of people willing to help you on this forum, if you don't have that many people to play with locally. This is a Smash Bros "community", after all.

RazorPikachu

Smash Rookie
The best way to get good is to practice. Try out all the characters (having the game on random helps, imo) and play a lot with friends/ family/ online folk/pros. Get a feel for the game, characters, and atmosphere and I'm sure if you are really motivated enough, you'll improve. Good luck. I'm sure there is a bunch of people willing to help you on this forum, if you don't have that many people to play with locally. This is a Smash Bros "community", after all.
Thanks for the tip

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Man, that was rough. I am still in the process of cleaning this stuff up but it was due to my own fault this thread got messed up. I am still working on it but I opened it back up.

SpikedShell

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the tip
Meaning if he doesn't get the full game for the blackmailer through a download code by Friday, he'll post an extremely humiliating video of my friend on Youtube
(Sorry meant for Sambiti)

Last edited:

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Anybody know of any way to upload replays to a computer? Not really sure where to start with that process.

tebby

Smash Cadet
about to have my first serious match in an online tournament whew

any tips?

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Focus on the match and try to read your opponent. Use this as an opportunity to improve and learn instead of getting angry if you lose.

Everest

Smash Cadet
Hi guys :)

Any tips on how to beat a Litle Mac with the Villager on omega stages ?

When I find a decent guy (and by decent, I mean not many AT, not big creepy combos, just a guy who knows how to play correctly) who plays with Little Mac, it is VERY difficult for me to defeat him.

Very hard to punish errors because of his freaky super armor. Very hard to space him out because of how fast he runs (with a completely broken dash attack IMO). Super fast roll, super fast tilts and smash, great special moves... Attacks that are very painful in terms of damages and with a high knockback. And what am I supposed to do against this absurd K.O. jauge ? It's like a "PRESS B TO WIN" button, killing me at around 30percent. Is this ridiculously OP uppercut blocked by a shield ? I'm not so sure. Anyways, with the lag of online mode, it's pretty hard to avoid that hit.

I'm not uber strong or anything, but sometimes when I'm loosing to a LM player, I have the feeling, that my opponent won, not because of his skills (some mistakes, predictables moves, no-brain attacks spamming...), but because of this character. And most probably, because I don't understand how to deal with this @#? ******. So if someone can explain me how I can fight back against this ugly little green man with my beautiful villager I would be really delighted :D

Thanks

Last edited:

errcs

Smash Rookie
Which characters have the most efficient throws, short trigger delay with decent damage. Im not highly concerned about the range just looking for a grab dependent character.

RedbeardMetroid

Smash Rookie
So I've been using Zero Suit Samus pretty much consistently since the game comes out. I really like her bet can never seem to KO people. If I can get a side-Smash then sometimes I can get them but for the most part I seem to just bounce them around.

Does she have some good ways to finish people off once you are off the side of the platform? I can sometimes pull off an up-B attack but other than that I'm pretty miserable.

Also do you have any advice for practicing Smash attacks? I can charge them up no problem but pulling off the quick ones is really hard for me?

Lastly, who do you think is better for a newcomer to Smash.... ZZS or Lucario? I like both but don't really understand Lucario's style and his recovery move. I keep flinging myself completely over the platform!

NY l Voodoo

Smash Rookie
Hi guys :)

Any tips on how to beat a Litle Mac with the Villager on omega stages ?

When I find a decent guy (and by decent, I mean not many AT, not big creepy combos, just a guy who knows how to play correctly) who plays with Little Mac, it is VERY difficult for me to defeat him.

Very hard to punish errors because of his freaky super armor. Very hard to space him out because of how fast he runs (with a completely broken dash attack IMO). Super fast roll, super fast tilts and smash, great special moves... Attacks that are very painful in terms of damages and with a high knockback. And what am I supposed to do against this absurd K.O. jauge ? It's like a "PRESS B TO WIN" button, killing me at around 30percent. Is this ridiculously OP uppercut blocked by a shield ? I'm not so sure. Anyways, with the lag of online mode, it's pretty hard to avoid that hit.

I'm not uber strong or anything, but sometimes when I'm loosing to a LM player, I have the feeling, that my opponent won, not because of his skills (some mistakes, predictables moves, no-brain attacks spamming...), but because of this character. And most probably, because I don't understand how to deal with this @#? ******. So if someone can explain me how I can fight back against this ugly little green man with my beautiful villager I would be really delighted :D

Thanks
Lilttle Mac can be a bit of a pain to deal with, especially online. The first thing to learn in being competitive is to adapt quickly. You should know what the opponent is planning on doing before you lose your first stock(which you hopefully don't have to lose). Little Macs have a few different tactics, because he HAS to come in at you, so he's very linear.

Let him have the center of the stage, because he's going to control it no matter what you do. He's too fast for Villager to deal with, in that regard. So zone him out. Throw out your side B, set up your tree, do whatever you have to do to keep him away. But he'll get close, so you're really just trying to whittle away at him. Down Dodge blows up a lot of things he does unless he comes in and f-tilts. His dash attack is punishable, so don't forget that shield grab is a viable option. Throw him off the stage and gimp him. He gimps so easily it's pathetic. He also has very little options getting down from being knocked into the air. Far as I know, all his aerials have landing lag, so you can chase and punish. He has no real option other than counter and that will get him rocked, too, since you'll know well enough whether or not he relies on it too much by then.

Hope this at least helps a little!

LolThisGame

Smash Rookie
I was told that the update is the reason I can't view my replays on a second 3DS. Everything else works just fine when I switch between DS's with the game and SD even my pictures are viewable. How can I fix this? I tried deleting it but all that happened was a temporary loss of all data.

Last edited:

Dont.Forget.To.Smile

Smash Rookie
What does the "Organizer" on the left hand side of the screen in the Powers Selection when customizing a character?

INCOMPLETE QUESTION!

But seriously what happens to moves assiged to those three squares?

Everest

Smash Cadet
Lilttle Mac can be a bit of a pain to deal with, especially online. The first thing to learn in being competitive is to adapt quickly. You should know what the opponent is planning on doing before you lose your first stock(which you hopefully don't have to lose). Little Macs have a few different tactics, because he HAS to come in at you, so he's very linear.

Let him have the center of the stage, because he's going to control it no matter what you do. He's too fast for Villager to deal with, in that regard. So zone him out. Throw out your side B, set up your tree, do whatever you have to do to keep him away. But he'll get close, so you're really just trying to whittle away at him. Down Dodge blows up a lot of things he does unless he comes in and f-tilts. His dash attack is punishable, so don't forget that shield grab is a viable option. Throw him off the stage and gimp him. He gimps so easily it's pathetic. He also has very little options getting down from being knocked into the air. Far as I know, all his aerials have landing lag, so you can chase and punish. He has no real option other than counter and that will get him rocked, too, since you'll know well enough whether or not he relies on it too much by then.

Hope this at least helps a little!
Didn't have the chance to try this out cause yesterday I just fought against Greninjas and Sheik, but what you told seems to be a good way to deal with LM. Thanks !

Just some questions again :

-shield grab (and just grab in general) seems to be an extremely dangerous option with the villager since it has an ending lag AND a starting lag. Most of the time when I try to grab an opponent I get severely punished if it fails (which happens frequently because of the starting lag).
Do you have any ideas on how I could make this move more efficient ? As a former ICs player I have the bad habit to try to grab a bit too much ahah

-The counter is maybe the only real option of LM when thrown in the air but I don't know, it seems to be a really great option x) I have the feeling his counter activate extremely quickly and stays effective for a very long time x) Any tips on how it works exactly ?

-And that KO jauge is insane. When it lands it's a guaranteed KO at around 30% (I can't even shield it ><) and even if LM doesn't use it, it puts so much pressure on me that I just keep making errors. Does it go away if I hit LM hard enough ?

And again thanks :)

Last edited:

El Cid

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2277-7962-6585
I hope this is the right place to ask this. I have almost finished the first tier of the Challenges, and I only have one left, which is to collect 10 Smash Powers. I have way more than 10, and it still hasn't unlocked. Has something similar happened to anyone else? Did I glitch the game by not unlocking the challenges in a particular order? I mean, it's not that bad if I can never unlock the next two tiers, but it does mean I can't ever unlock Flat Zone or get all the trophies. Can anyone help?

EDIT: It looks like others have ran into the same problem. I guess I should just ask how many powers you start with, because I remember it being around three, and I have like seventeen or so. If you start with ten, I guess it'd make sense, but I somehow remember it being less...

EDIT: I unlocked it! Guess I wasn't playing Smash Run often enough

Last edited:

Storm Eagle

Smash Lord
NNID
Storm88
I have a question about Smash Run. There is an achievements where you have to win the smash run battle with every character. But where can I see if I actually did win with a character? It only shows points on the character selection screen.

Dr. Dim

Smash Rookie
New player question here:

Why and when do I shield?

So far I'm doing fine without shielding at all because attacking, moving/evading, grabbing and deflecting (using Mario's cape) always seemed to be the better options to me when playing.
But obviously it's there for a reason and good players shield all the time.
It's funny because I used to block a lot in Street Fighter, but in Smash Bros there are so many options to do (and decide) at a given time!

I've read wikia articles and while they're good at explaining the technicalities and options out of shielding, they're not that good at explaining the basics.

Last edited:

Overmaster

Hibiki for Smash 4 DLC!
So why are dash attacks bad? Are they better in this game but there is still a stigma attached?

I understand they can be predicted and punished-- but they're fluid! Even after getting my shorthopped fair down pat, I feel like I play significantly worse.

Dash attacks are fluid, fast and keep your momentun going. A shorthopped aerial feels slower.

I know I'm wrong in my way of thinking, so please help me get this foolishness out of my head. :]

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
Which characters have the most efficient throws, short trigger delay with decent damage. Im not highly concerned about the range just looking for a grab dependent character.
Old question, but Ness has some great throws. Dthrow does nice damage, and I think you might be able to combo with it, not sure, and Bthrow is commonly used as a kill move. I don't think there are any characters who incorporate different throws out of grabs that much except for combo purposes.

So why are dash attacks bad? Are they better in this game but there is still a stigma attached?

I understand they can be predicted and punished-- but they're fluid! Even after getting my shorthopped fair down pat, I feel like I play significantly worse.

Dash attacks are fluid, fast and keep your momentun going. A shorthopped aerial feels slower.

I know I'm wrong in my way of thinking, so please help me get this foolishness out of my head. :]
I'd like to know this as well, actually. I'm playing a lot of Palutena, and most of the time I'd rather dash attack for the projectile destruction and good knockback, even with Palu's laggy ground game.

Lastly, is there a good way to practice Dair spiking(assuming I'm using Palu)? I tried it in training mode, but I've never managed to spike a player in For Glory.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hi! I'm new to fighting games, and I'm having trouble understanding some of the jargon here, particularly translating the names of common moves into keypresses on my 3DS to use these moves. For example, what is zair, and how do I execute it?

Is there a thread or article resource that lists the "common" names of all moves (names used by members here to discuss, not official Nintendo names), and what their keypresses are for the 3DS?

Thanks. :)

rabbit.soaring

Smash Journeyman
NNID
rabbit.soaring
3DS FC
0130-2883-3067
Hi! I'm new to fighting games, and I'm having trouble understanding some of the jargon here, particularly translating the names of common moves into keypresses on my 3DS to use these moves. For example, what is zair, and how do I execute it?

Is there a thread or article resource that lists the "common" names of all moves (names used by members here to discuss, not official Nintendo names), and what their keypresses are for the 3DS?

Thanks. :)
I don't know if there's a thread, but most are pretty explanatory. ex: Fair = Forward Air. Anyways, a Zair can only be used by certain characters who have tether grabs, like Link, Toon Link, Samus, and Zero Suit Samus. When the grab button is pressed in the air, characters with Zairs will send out their tether while airborne. One can;t grab this way, but it can deal some damage and be used to grab ledges as decent horizontal recovery.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
I don't know if there's a thread, but most are pretty explanatory. ex: Fair = Forward Air. Anyways, a Zair can only be used by certain characters who have tether grabs, like Link, Toon Link, Samus, and Zero Suit Samus. When the grab button is pressed in the air, characters with Zairs will send out their tether while airborne. One can;t grab this way, but it can deal some damage and be used to grab ledges as decent horizontal recovery.
Ok, that makes sense. I've been reading the Samus and ZSS forums a lot, and I could get the others, like dair, fair, and bair, but that one had me stumped. Thanks! :)

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Where do I find my world rank in For Glory?

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867
Basic Q here: Is there somewhere I can find an explanation of the terms that get thrown around in discussions?

UltimateXsniper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5198-2617-9626
Anyone has any good strats with mii headgears? I've been trying my luck with getting Mario's cap ever since I got the game. I was planning to have a Mario mii even before the game released. I've clocked in 13 hours of playtime now, going through trophy rush, smash run, and even classic for so many times. I've already collected plenty of equipment, character specials, and even other outfits and headgears but I still don't have the Mario's cap. It really bugs me at this point. The more I try to get a freaking cap, the more I get pissed off about little things such as getting moves for a character I don't even play as or stuff I already collected.

Last edited:

Valzy

Smash Cadet

I'd like to know this as well, actually. I'm playing a lot of Palutena, and most of the time I'd rather dash attack for the projectile destruction and good knockback, even with Palu's laggy ground game.

Lastly, is there a good way to practice Dair spiking(assuming I'm using Palu)? I tried it in training mode, but I've never managed to spike a player in For Glory.
I believe that it's bad because it can easily be punished by shield-grabbing. There are other options than just short hop aerials and dash attack. You can do upsmashs out of dashes, you can also do side specials out of dashes, flicking the control stick down or shielding cancels a dash and then lets you attack or grab your foe. It really depends on what character you're using.

Last edited:

jbozz1217

Smash Apprentice
Hey all! I'm not sure if it's covered at all in this thread anywhere, but I feel like I'm just missing some information about this game and I'm not sure where to get it. For context, I was moderately knowledgeable/competitive in previous games.

I've got the game, but I do not understand the concept of equipping items, changing move-sets to custom or unlocked moves and what this even does or means, all the things you can unlock in the game besides characters... I'm very confused by all of this! Are there some guides? It is not the type of thing that I learn simply by playing the game and I am unsure where to get that information...

Also in the "For Glory" online mode, is it throwing away a good rank if I am just playing to mess around without items? Or does my rank not really matter? I think it seems like a great way to learn but I also am hesitant to use it until I'm really good because I want a really good rank.

Lastly, is there any tier list/ranking of characters thus far? I always liked Zelda and she really was somewhat of an underdog in melee/brawl but I'd like to continue using her... I have seen every character be good before, but I don't want to be making a bad choice from the start-- I want a main who can be a strong character who I ALSO like. THANKS for your help!!

Last edited:

TheWetWorks

Smash Rookie
Hello, new guy here (very old and competitive player tho XP)

I'm just asking if there is info on general tech of the game...

wave dashing, DI control, etc...

I just got the game and already unlocked everything (chrs and stages)
got a few online games in

and would like to know what the 'real' players should know ;)

Videos are helpful to watch in practice,
but have not found any that just focus on these things (game mechanics)

Thanks in advances and hope to meet some of you on the battle stages XD

Nevarro

Smash Cadet
NNID
Nevarro
3DS FC
0619-5007-5867

Same here, I'm looking for some beginner info myself on mechanics and terminology as ive just really picked up the game recently

Valzy

Smash Cadet

Wave dashing hasn't existed for a while, it was just a problem with Melee's physics engine

TheWetWorks

Smash Rookie
Yeh, it doesnt seem to be in SSB4, just timming of dashes seems to work well enough.

this is the type of info im referring to.

What advanced tech is known for this new version?

so far, i already checked youtube
https:// www. youtube. com/watch?v=YPQEaQmLGl0 (remove spaces, as I cant post links yet XP)

but couldnt find any sites with the info gathered for SSB4

thus, wondering if there are info here,
or if we should start it

Alpha8Bit

Smash Rookie
So I need help picking a main. Here's the situation: I REALLY love my speedy mii brawler, but he's not allowed on For Glory. That being said, I need recommendations of speedy damagers with some tricky mobility moves like (announcer voice) THE BOUNCING FISH or Zero Suit's down b. The final issue is the fact that I'm trying not to take my friends' mains. In short:
  • The character needs to be a speedy damager
  • I'd prefer tricky movement abilities
  • It can't be Fox, Samus, Zero Suit, or Toon Link.
Three characters that have caught my attention are Olimar, Kirby, and Sheik. Meta Knight seemed tempting but I'd need a lot of tips and practice to make that work. I like how he plays, I'm just not good at playing it if that makes any sense.

DiverseStyle

Smash Cadet
So I came across a player with a very reactive playstyle. He played as only Mega Man and his playstyle consisted only of:

1. Keeping his distance and shield-grabbing whenever I would try to approach, ground or air
2. Followed by throwing me off stage and and edge-guarding with F-smash
3. Using dash attack to approach/punish
4. Neutral B if I tried to keep my distance

I know on paper this should be a very easy strategy to beat, but I just couldn't understand why I couldn't get around it. Maybe it's my own lack of experience, but I felt that I should have known how to win and not fallen to such basic tactics. Any advice on how to handle people who are being way too reactive/defensive?

I was playing as Robin if it matters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom