• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Sig Critique Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hentekorino

Smash Journeyman
You still get props for making a Cammy sig. SSF4 FTW, man.

CnC. Older one, haven't done anything in a long time. Might get back into GFX when I get my new Computer Tower in.

Effects are done by me, btw. Wanted a cleaner look for it.

----------

Speaking of old vets coming back, what's up y'all.
gotta work on that blending plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeee
bg lreally looks like it's just pasted on there

A_man13

Smash Master
Y'all gonna make me download GIMP onto my mom's laptop so I can make something. lol. XD

*Desktop is sold, gotta wait till the beginning of next month to order my new tower* D:
For how much everyone complains, GIMP sure seems to work for you. If you could make something new, that would be nice to see.

Hentekorino

Smash Journeyman
Y'all gonna make me download GIMP onto my mom's laptop so I can make something. lol. XD

*Desktop is sold, gotta wait till the beginning of next month to order my new tower* D:
aaaaauuuuuuuuuuuuu do it and delete it when you get your new coumpe. ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

hey guyse guys what version

cmpr94x

Smash Lord
Hentekorino, #1 but in all of them I think the right side could be abbreviated and the picture seems low quality.

Starting to see alot of depth with that red thing on the right side looks like a red carpet but past that seems kind of pointless. Looks kind of messy and I think you could have focused the light a little closer to the face but overall I like it.

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
@Smithh:

DEACTIVATE YOUR SIGNATURE IN THIS TOPIC

And try to give other people some helpful comments before demanding feedback.
The idea of a team signature is pretty cool. There are a few problems though.

Cutting issues on Jin's hair. The background's showing through for some reason, but other than that the pictures were cut out really well. The sparkle on the bottom right is really bright, and the sig doesn't really have many deep dark tones to offset it. It's also an awkward light source because Megaman for instance has shadows on his left (where the supposed light source is).

It could go a little further, more effects, more organized text, etc. I say keep working on it.

@ Hentekorino: v1. Awesome depth and attention to detail. I think you made it complex without being messy.

lordunicorn3

Smash Journeyman
Since everyone else seems to be coming back, I might come back a bit, been ages since I did any tagging.
Heken, the third one imo, but the bottom right corner just bugs me. Really nice tag though.

Neon Ness

...Well, no one seems to have posted anything new so I'll just leave this here...

Result of me browsing GSA + smudge tutorials. This is actually my first smudge tag, so it's probably pretty bad :laugh:

v1

v2

I'm starting to think that sunlight's gotta go. It might be better without it.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Neon I love both tags. Good smudging is my favorite and I think you nailed this, esp. for your first smudge tag. Where did you get the tut? I'd like to read it myself :3

Btw, what editing software do you use?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I haven't made a decent sig in awhile, so I wanted to touch-up one. Here's the original (v1):

---

Here is the remake, what do you think? What can I do to it?

Neon Ness

Wow, how'd I overlook this? :dizzy:

Well I think the play on words is pretty nice. Crystal theme for a Krystal tag. Those effects look good so far. I'm not really a fan of borders, but if you want to keep this one I would lower the saturation so it's more of a muted color like the rest of the sig.

I would consider changing the text--the font is fine but the orientation might be better vertical? Like alongside that long spike near her hand. It has a really good range of colors, with that blue-green in her eyes to the blue violet in the fur/crystals, and the lighting is well done too. It's pretty bright, so it could have some deeper darks for contrast's sake. Great work!

I need something new. I'm working with PS Elements 5 :(
I hear GIMP's almost as good as Photoshop and free, so you could look into it if buying a newer PS is out of the question.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
I'm more for a dark background. Always. i think having a cool, dark blue would make krystal stand out and we could see the other things you added. Right now, I can hardly see anything other than krystal.

Neon Ness

Where did everybody go!?

'nother old one. I think it needs more smudge tool. Maybe someone will have something to say by morning...

Player-4

See you in 25 years
Needs more lighting, it's way too dark and even though I like simple it just feels empty.

Btw, nice to see you're a mod now, Neon :)

Neon Ness

Oh yeah, congrats P4. :D

Good call on the lighting, a lot of it is really dark. I also just realized I didn't define a light source at all lol.

DUB

Smash Lord
Nub avatar question, didn't know where to ask it.

Basically, how do I upload an image for my avatar without it having the white or w/e color background the picture came with?

I was going to use a Pkmn Mix Sprite but I don't like the white around the background. The files that were .php would not show the background. The PNGs and GIFS would. I'm technically challenged when it comes to computers so I don't know what any of those things are. Halp?

Neon Ness

Nub avatar question, didn't know where to ask it.

Basically, how do I upload an image for my avatar without it having the white or w/e color background the picture came with?

I was going to use a Pkmn Mix Sprite but I don't like the white around the background. The files that were .php would not show the background. The PNGs and GIFS would. I'm technically challenged when it comes to computers so I don't know what any of those things are. Halp?
.PNGs are supposed to have transparent backgrounds. So whatever image you want to use should be saved as a .PNG. If it has a white background where you found it you should:

1. Take it into Photoshop/Paint/whatever and manually cut out the white background
2. After the white is erased, save as a .PNG.

That reminds me, we need a Q&A thread. I'll make one soon.

DUB

Smash Lord
.PNGs are supposed to have transparent backgrounds. So whatever image you want to use should be saved as a .PNG. If it has a white background where you found it you should:

1. Take it into Photoshop/Paint/whatever and manually cut out the white background
2. After the white is erased, save as a .PNG.

That reminds me, we need a Q&A thread. I'll make one soon.
How do I cut out the background in Paint? :dizzy:

Neon Ness

Merry Christmas.

Save this to your computer and voila, new avatar.

I thought you could do it in Paint, maybe not though (I used Photoshop). You need to use the Eraser Tool either way, and just erase the white part out.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Merry Christmas.

Save this to your computer and voila, new avatar.

I thought you could do it in Paint, maybe not though (I used Photoshop). You need to use the Eraser Tool either way, and just erase the white part out.
The best way for rendering is to use the pentool.

DUB

Smash Lord
Ah, well thanks. So I tried to do it with this one:

I think I may need to get an upgraded version of paint. Could someone remove this background for me one more time? The file is a png, I'm not sure why the background is up.

Neon Ness

The best way for rendering is to use the pentool.
Ah well yeah, you're right. Normally pen tool is better. For sprites/pixel art and other small stuff I use the eraser tool though...

DUB, I'll try to do that one and probably edit this post with the result.

Edit:

Whoops, you might need to erase that faint outline, didn't see that there...

DUB

Smash Lord
Can I even remove that outline in paint? I think I need like Paint Pro or something.I read something about green screening, but I'm not too sure how that works either.

Black Waltz

Smash Champion
Can I even remove that outline in paint? I think I need like Paint Pro or something.I read something about green screening, but I'm not too sure how that works either.
Just get GIMP. Free version of Photoshop.

Zolga Owns

Smash Lord
Oh dear. Seeing as you are a complete beginner I shall direct you to good places to get tutorials and things rather than critique your tag.

DeviantArt should be one of the first places you go for resources. They have pretty much everything.
I advise you to also make a PlanetRenders account(both in the forum and Gallery). They have some great tutorials and tips in both the free and "PR points" section. Since you are using GIMP, http://www.gimptalk.com/ is a great GIMP specific resource. Try not to just do sigs/tags. Branch out to explore more areas of art. At this stage you want to read a bunch of tutorials and try out tons of different techniques.

Typooooo. Kinda.

Neon Ness

Best part is the depth. I can see the space behind the letters and in front of them, so it creates believable dimension. I also think you chose great colors.

I can't tell if it's scanlines or what but a lot of your black outlines are jagged looking, so I'd smooth those out if possible. A lot of the abstract forms look cool but those jaggies sorta kill it. On the fence about whether the lightning should stay or not. Personally I think it would look better without that giant ZOLGA.

I don't know why but the background looks like a Sonic stage.

A Future Pro

Smash Rookie
It has a good focal, the first thing I look at is Giovanni, but is the japanese really needed? and why different colored fonts? as well as where's the flow? I honestly can't tell. It looks like text, a smudge, and a render. Plus there's a lot of extra space to the right of the text that isn't being used, you could cut that without losing anything.

I like a lot of the things i've seen on here. This place has changed a lot since the last time i came in here.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
@Zolga

Your execution and concept is very nice and interesting, the depth is very nice, however I don't like the text you used or thoes yellow things around they are unnecessary

Made a very simple and quick sig, haven't touched PS in a month or so, but I really like it.

Thoughts?

Neon Ness

Something's odd with the light source. There's a huge bright spot on the upper left of the tag. But there are shadows on that side of her face too, so... one of those needs to change cuz it doesn't make sense. The light should probably go on her other side.

The effects (is that a C4D?) you have so far are good, you just need way more. There's not much to look at. The way her hair comes down on the left side looks pretty cool. I wish the text was a bit smaller and more integrated into the scenery. I like the desaturated look overall with the colors.

I think I'll post something I've been working on pretty soon too, I'm sort of stuck recently. :\

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
I re-did things a bit

Added some more C4D's, brushed with a splatter brush and made a clipping mask, gave some scan lines, adjusted the lighting in the sig,

I added a border, gave it a smudge layer over the c4d and some small white sparkle orbs mixed into the c4d

I changed the text up a bit as well.

I really have many many many issues with text lol I totally suck at it

Any further suggestion

Neon Ness

I really have many many many issues with text lol I totally suck at it
Lol I know what you mean. I usually try not to add text because I'm not good at it either.

The border looks good, it gives it a sort of professional photo shoot look. The contrast looks a lot better. Still needs more effects to me. >< Just go crazy with C4Ds and smudging and see what turns up. I think it could stand to be more complex without turning messy, but I guess it depends on if you want the simpicity look.

Worked on this one some more.

v3: Tried to add a few vector elements in addition to smudging.

v4: w/out vector rainbow

v5: Random unnecessary text!

v6: Altered colors.

S l o X

Smash Champion
v6 is ****.

:\ at there being no sig shops open, i don't feel like going to an alternative forum to make a simple request.

does PS run on linux? i haven' used it in year and i was horrible back then but it was fun using ps and learning. if it runs on linux, i'll definitely be spending some time on it.

doom dragon 105

Smash Lord
v6 is ****.

:\ at there being no sig shops open, i don't feel like going to an alternative forum to make a simple request.

does PS run on linux? i haven' used it in year and i was horrible back then but it was fun using ps and learning. if it runs on linux, i'll definitely be spending some time on it.
You need WHINE to run it and even so it is super slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom