• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The [Shocking] Official R.O.B. Video Critique Thread

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
I agree, but I want all the top pros that don't frequent the ROB boards there too. 5 votes was just not enough.

Landry

Smash Ace
I wouldn't worry about it too much guys. With these first votes we'll pick the top 5/6ish panelists, but after that I'm planning on doing a wild card round to select the rest. If you guys (like me) think Shockdrake deserves to be there then wait it out for the wild card round and you'll be able to put him there.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Shockdrake, I really appreciate your your critique. Also, I just Fullhop Fair because of Wifi. Doesn't happen in offline.

jjvirus

Smash Champion
Shockdrake, if you can, hold off on my critique. I just played a game thats more recent (duh) and I'd say is more up to date. So wait a lil plz? :)

Unless you want to critique it, go for it.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Shockdrake, I really appreciate your your critique. Also, I just Fullhop Fair because of Wifi. Doesn't happen in offline.
Fullhop fair is useful. I didn't watch the vids but don't write it off like it's a horrid tactic.

It's more situational then like, laser spam :laugh: but it's a lot more useful then like, Side B :ohwell:.

I love Fullhop Fair.

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
JJ, don't recover mid vs MK. Recover ultrahigh, or go really low next to the stage and come straight up. In the first situation you have to dodge his juggle game... and in the second you have to space an uair properly. But it's better than getting shuttle looped!

OH, and your defensive strategy on the ground seems to be almost solely spotdodge... shielding is your friend against MK. A good/offline MK will punish spotdodges and airdodges like nothing...

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
CJTHeroofTime -video-

Olimar

Within the first 8 seconds, you dash attacked the landing Olimar. I'm not sure about that, was that a real mistake or something I don't know? I'm not sure because it seems hard to do wrong buttons and come out with a mistake dash attack...
That was a thoughtless action on my part...
Anyway, jumping olimar = shield grab. Shield all the way through his multihit dair.
Multihit dair? Is it multihit?

You seem to be having trouble getting up from the ledge with the fsmash pikmin spam. Something you could try... Drop down and time a jump so that you can fair the next pikmin. After that smash is negated, UpB, and you're past the wall and free to land as if you were recovering from high.
Yes. Will do.

At 3:58: If you grab anyone near the ledge, punch them 'til they groundbreak and then dtilt them.
I tried. 3rd jab didnt come out...
4:11: utilt mistake = usmash right?
Most definitely. I fail at tilts sometimes.
I only watched the first match.
And you still made a massive amount of tips... Thanks so much.

Just out of curiousity... How long do I have to wait before I can use this servise again? On Saturday M2K's going to the same tourney as me, and Imma mm him(itll probably cost me more than Id like to pay ;) lol) and I was going to record the matches. I understand if you'd like me to wait, as you are doing this all out of charity. But I figured maybe if I played a good mk, let alone the best MK, you would really be able to see where my flaws are at.

Thanks again!
[SPOILERShockdrake for mod[/SPOILER]

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
Just out of curiousity... How long do I have to wait before I can use this servise again? On Saturday M2K's going to the same tourney as me, and Imma mm him(itll probably cost me more than Id like to pay ;) lol) and I was going to record the matches. I understand if you'd like me to wait, as you are doing this all out of charity. But I figured maybe if I played a good mk, let alone the best MK, you would really be able to see where my flaws are at.
You can post a new one every 2-3 days, but it can anytime really. The restriction is in case there are too many.

If it's against M2K, you can post a new one in the next minute.

And jj, I'll look at that tonight. Check back tomorrow?

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
This isn't the vid I was talking about, but it works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8V6QKnXHUU0

JJvirus vs Kawaii Poyo (AIB Ladder Match MD to MD)
The trip at 1:08: Against an MK, anything you do usually gets you hurt. You did the best thing possible here. A roll behind or getup would have been dsmashed. A getup attack wouldn't have reached. Roll away was the best choice, and you did it, but... it's still really bad, because MK can chase and do anything. He didn't though... so it was okay here. MK's trip-punish game is horribly good. That's why his dtilt is so horribly good. This paragraph doesn't really tell you anything except that if you trip and the MK is ready, you're in for more hurt, but the amount of hurt can change. In general, stay away from any choice that allows MK to dsmash. Your roll away here was, once again, good. Lesser of five million evils. And in your case, you got away with no damage because MK wasn't ready.

I'm pretty sure MK fair zoning beats your fsmash. Both moves come out fast, but MK can weave in and out with fair, while you're stuck in the same spot. You'll get hit with his fair in your fsmash lag more often than you'll hit him. I'd recommend more of a reacting game. MK is the best char for punishing move lag. In the situations where you were fsmashing, the only moves that had any chance of hitting him were fsmash and ftilt. By react game, I mean not using any move, but perhaps ftilting him after he tries to zone with fair. MK fair = walk away slightly and ftilt.

Walk away is still one of the best things to do. ROB sucks in his shield. His OOS options are extremely limited. If you get caught in your shield, MK can hammer aerials at you and then follow up with ftilt or dtilt after his lagless landings. I think it happened to you a lot, and you spotdodge dsmash'd like crazy when it did. If you can walk away enough and avoid the attack altogether, you have all your options still open, especially ftilt. Personally, I think ftilt is the best thing in ROB's arsenal versus MK.

You use a ton of fsmash as spacing. But a lot of the time, MK was sitting in ftilt range.

An MK on the ledge = walk away and ftilt when he comes back up. If he comes up with tornado, shield or dash away as fast as you can > shield.

So many ROBs utilt and then keep utilting. Stop the utilt and you can almost always chain something onto it, whether the opponent is getting hit by the weak side hit or the main hitbox. Whenever I see a ROB land an utilt and not uair immediately, it almost always ends with a missed utilt > reset situation or ROB gets hit. Especially with the weak side hit, utilt > jab cancel > dtilt > ftilt/grab/fsmash is really good.

You had a lot of random moves out. You were trying to predict dashes or something, and so you fsmashed, or you were trying to ward off an aerial (?) so you SH/FH fair'd randomly. A lot of the damage MK put on you was done when you were stuck in random-move-lag.

I'll have to expand on this later. I think the above paragraphs are still a little jumbled. And I haven't addressed a lot of the video yet either.

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
I camp with SH/Fairs (the random ones) am I not supposed to do that...?
I'm pretty sure MK fair can hit your fair with his own (you extend a hitbox out). So it would only help if... 1) He jumps into you, or 2) He's trying to approach out of a dash. A weaving ftilt seems to be safer if you want to hold your ground. An fair camp seems to be safer only when you retreat it quite a bit so that it both covers MK's dash and avoids his fair. But then you lose ground. And you don't want to be pushed offstage versus an MK.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
Shockdrake, actually on the subject of MK on the ledge, a better choice in some cases if MK 'nados up would be to walk away Fsmash, because ROB's FSmash hits through the nado. It depends on percentage. It could be an easy kill if MK does that.

Shockdrake

Smash Cadet
The only thing I don't like about that is it's not reliable. It's hard to time, and it's not always going to work unless you're perfect.

If your first instinct is to dash away when you see a tornado, you take no damage and either you get to punish the small lag afterwards or MK has to approach again. Either way, it's better than getting popped up and having your underside exposed. Dash away > shield also lets you shield with more strength if you're caught.

You can try fsmashing in these cases if you want, but I just think there are better options.

CJTHeroofTime

Smash Lord
Why did this get un-stickied?

As for the M2K vid, Im not gonna upload it cuz I gave him my word I would only use it for personal reference. **** my morals. Although I do have a Peach match from that same day that I will upload eventually...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Meh, who cares? Does everyone really wanna see an MK ****** random people that badly? Soooo boring...

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Off topic, but JCaes, how does MK fare in Brawl+? Is he still super-****?
He's been nerfed heavily, but he's still arguably the best in the game, but certainly not as stupid powerful as he was in vBrawl, and he actually has some bad matchups now.

I still hate him...

Deadweight

Smash Ace
ill give a bit of advice, (If no one minds :p)
When your recovering at or above stage level, you seem to like fastfalling a nair hoping that the awkward hit box will keep them off of you. If the MK has had any RoB experience, they can catch the enormous lag on nair and punish. It happened a few times in videos 1 and 3, just something to think about :p Any other matchup and you'd be ok but MK can punish you off stage like no one else :(

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
ill give a bit of advice, (If no one minds :p)
When your recovering at or above stage level, you seem to like fastfalling a nair hoping that the awkward hit box will keep them off of you. If the MK has had any RoB experience, they can catch the enormous lag on nair and punish. It happened a few times in videos 1 and 3, just something to think about :p Any other matchup and you'd be ok but MK can punish you off stage like no one else :(
True, but if you let him get close he can just force an airdodge and punish that... to me with MK it seems more like lose lose than anything else...

Deadweight

Smash Ace
True, but if you let him get close he can just force an airdodge and punish that... to me with MK it seems more like lose lose than anything else...
This is why you recover reallllly high above the stage out of his reach or Reallly low with an uair :p Mix it up

stingers

Smash Obsessed
with MK, you want to recover high. if that's not an option, then press your luck and recover from directly understage. but, ONLY uair when you see him approaching you. uairing early just gets you daired. uairing late also gets you daired. but our uair outranges his dair so as long as you time it right, you're good.

edit: beat by deadweight x_x **** you!

ZOM~B

Smash Journeyman
I think you guys have only watched the first vid? :x I do a much better job recovering in the second two. Yoshi's is so small I've started to ban it against MKs. Can't go under the stage... they can chase you anywhere, giant platform stops landings... I really hate it in the matchup.

GwJ

Smash Hero
NNID
Baghul
I always recover low against MK's. I don't mean kinda low, I'm mean low enough that I'm in the magnifying glass of the blast-zone so that I can Uair my way back up to the ledge, and every time I make it back. There might be videos from my tourney last weekend to show this.

Top Bottom