• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Shiny Hunting Thread

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
You guys don't use the poke radar method to get shinies in D/P. With that its pretty easy to get shinies after you get the hang of it.
Well, not every Pokemon can be caught with Pokeradar, and I don't really have the hang of it. Is there any strategy to it other than looking for shiny grass?

I was EV training earlier, so i was surfing for Tentacools/Cruels and out of the hundreds I was fighting, a grey shiny one popped up! I caught that ***** in a heartbeat, lol.

Wewt~
Congrats; did you find Tentacool or Tentacruel? I honestly think Tentacool looks a little cooler than Tentacruel. Not much, but his colors seem less dulled down.

I caught a shiny corpish this morning. I keep it in my PC just to look at it. I've spent half the day saving. XD
Congrats, I'd be doing the same thing.

Also, I don't know if you saw my question earlier, but about your cousin; did you actually SEE the shiny Mudkip in the preview screen in the bag? Because while I don't necessarily think it's made up, shiny resetting takes a long time, and I don't want to do thousands of resets to find out that I wasn't going far enough.

80 resets and no shiny mudkip. I check the others to and there not shiny either...
Yeah, I've been doing that too. I check Treecko, then Torchic, then Mudkip and go into battle (because I'm not sure if you can see it in the bag screen for sure).

I really don't care much for Shiny Torchic, so I'll be really irked if I get a Shiny Torchic and not Treecko or Mudkip. I'm going for Mudkip, but Treecko looks awesome and I wouldn't complain if I got him (/her).

majora_787

Smash Hero
._. What happened was he saved right before going out to the bag, then when he got to it he picked mudkip. I went to get a drink and when I got back he had a treecko. I asked him why he switched, he said something was wrong with the mudkip. I asked what and he said it was purple. I hit him very very hard. XD

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
._. What happened was he saved right before going out to the bag, then when he got to it he picked mudkip. I went to get a drink and when I got back he had a treecko. I asked him why he switched, he said something was wrong with the mudkip. I asked what and he said it was purple. I hit him very very hard. XD
Ah. So in other words, it does not appear in the preview screen? Okay, thanks. That way I can check Mudkip and only Mudkip. I have to go into battle to check, but...

As for your cousin, WOW. There was something wrong with it? You know what, there's something wrong with HIM.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Ah. So in other words, it does not appear in the preview screen? Okay, thanks. That way I can check Mudkip and only Mudkip. I have to go into battle to check, but...

As for your cousin, WOW. There was something wrong with it? You know what, there's something wrong with HIM.
I don't know if it does or not. I left when he opened the bag.

EDIT: And I know there is. Every time he plays a kirby game he asks how you suck people. -_-

EDIT 2: Also, should I evolve my shiny Corpish? ._.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I don't know if it does or not. I left when he opened the bag.
Oh. Well, unless you saw it, I'm going to assume that it's not. I saw a shiny thread on another forum once, (I was just reading it; I'm weird and enjoy reading stuff about video games even if it's not helpful or applicable to me) and there was someone resetting for a Shiny Mudkip and...yeah, he never said anything about seeing it on the bag screen, so I'm assuming it doesn't appear there.

EDIT: And I know there is. Every time he plays a kirby game he asks how you suck people. -_-
HAHAHAHAHA!!! Wow. Just wow.

EDIT 2: Also, should I evolve my shiny Corpish? ._.
What I do with 90% of my shinies (it didn't occur to me with my Victreebel, unfortunately; the only one I've actually caught myself) is do the GTS Duplication trick and keep one of the pre-evolved form, if I have it, and then evolve it, so I have both. I did that with the Shiny Charmander I got.

If you don't want to do the GTS Duplication trick (for which I can't blame you, it's a pain to pull off), then yeah, keep it as a Corpish. Even if Crawdaunt looked cooler, it's better to always have the option to keep or evolve it, I think.

But seriously, congratulations. I think I'm going to go for a dual shiny, I think I'm going to try chaining with the Pokeradar. It'd be nice to have another shiny that I've caught myself.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Oh. Well, unless you saw it, I'm going to assume that it's not. I saw a shiny thread on another forum once, (I was just reading it; I'm weird and enjoy reading stuff about video games even if it's not helpful or applicable to me) and there was someone resetting for a Shiny Mudkip and...yeah, he never said anything about seeing it on the bag screen, so I'm assuming it doesn't appear there.

HAHAHAHAHA!!! Wow. Just wow.

What I do with 90% of my shinies (it didn't occur to me with my Victreebel, unfortunately; the only one I've actually caught myself) is do the GTS Duplication trick and keep one of the pre-evolved form, if I have it, and then evolve it, so I have both. I did that with the Shiny Charmander I got.

If you don't want to do the GTS Duplication trick (for which I can't blame you, it's a pain to pull off), then yeah, keep it as a Corpish. Even if Crawdaunt looked cooler, it's better to always have the option to keep or evolve it, I think.

But seriously, congratulations. I think I'm going to go for a dual shiny, I think I'm going to try chaining with the Pokeradar. It'd be nice to have another shiny that I've caught myself.
I'm f**ked. XD I got stuck in this place for some reason and can't get out. So I have to reset my game. Lol ****.

...When I said Lol what really happened was I died a little inside.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm f**ked. XD I got stuck in this place for some reason and can't get out. So I have to reset my game. Lol ****.

...When I said Lol what really happened was I died a little inside.
Wait, what?! You mean you turn of the game and you still can't get unstuck? So you have to start a new game? Oh my god...what is it with all of this bad luck with shinies I'm hearing about?

If by any chance you have an Action Replay for DS or you buy one, you could probably use the Walk Through Walls code to get out. I wouldn't restart the game yet, just in case (assuming you haven't already).

But yeah, after a lot of resetting for Mudkip, I'm going to switch off for a bit and try to chain for a Shiny.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I want to hack my game and insert some of our creations. That beats shinies any day.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I want to hack my game and insert some of our creations. That beats shinies any day.
True, but on the other hand, Shinies have an excitement to them, and hunting/resetting is fun to do. It gives a nice goal, and however unrealistic, it's nice. Rare Pokemon aren't as fun to hunt for as shinies are, in my opinion. While shinies look awesome, and that's part of why you want them, a lot of the fun is in the journey to the shiny, in my opinion.

An update on my situation: I decided to go after the swarming Pokemon for today after reading that chaining with them works well. It just so happens that the swarming Pokemon for today is Beldum, which got me really excited. That is, until I remembered that they swarm on the route with the impossibly huge sandstorm, meaning chainging is going to be near impossible. Thus far, I have a chain of 6. I'm really hoping I can get a shiny while it's still swarming, but considering this is my first shot at chaining a shiny, I feel it's doubtful.

...and it just broke. Curse you, Hippowdon.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Wait, what?! You mean you turn of the game and you still can't get unstuck? So you have to start a new game? Oh my god...what is it with all of this bad luck with shinies I'm hearing about?

If by any chance you have an Action Replay for DS or you buy one, you could probably use the Walk Through Walls code to get out. I wouldn't restart the game yet, just in case (assuming you haven't already).

But yeah, after a lot of resetting for Mudkip, I'm going to switch off for a bit and try to chain for a Shiny.
I'm stuck between the fast currents and a rock west of pacifidlog. I TRIED the walk through walls thing but it wouldn't let me do ****.

All I have in my party is a pokemon that can't do anything useful, like surf or fly. I can't fish for a pokemon in the current and teach it surf or fly. ALL of my pokemon are sitting in my PC crying with me. I can't bring myself to reset all the years of work, but I know that I have to.

My friend, my level 100 sceptile weeps the hardest. It's pokemon silver all over again.

EDIT: It's pokemon ruby. I don't plan on getting diamond or pearl. I'll wait until Platinum.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I just tried playing Pokemon again, and the game is just too slow for my speed. It's utterly boring. Don't get me wrong, I love making sprites, but the games are lackluster. I can't play them.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I remember my friend encountered a shiny Tentacruel im my Silver, but he killed it. Then in my leaf green I found a shiny Execute in the Safari, sadly it escaped. The only shinies ive gotten are from GTS.

Firus

BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
I'm stuck between the fast currents and a rock west of pacifidlog. I TRIED the walk through walls thing but it wouldn't let me do ****.

All I have in my party is a pokemon that can't do anything useful, like surf or fly. I can't fish for a pokemon in the current and teach it surf or fly. ALL of my pokemon are sitting in my PC crying with me. I can't bring myself to reset all the years of work, but I know that I have to.

My friend, my level 100 sceptile weeps the hardest. It's pokemon silver all over again.

EDIT: It's pokemon ruby. I don't plan on getting diamond or pearl. I'll wait until Platinum.
Yeah, I just realized that. Sorry.

Hm...have you tried asking around the PokeCenter for suggestions? Maybe someone knows something you can do. I know how it feels to lose so much in a game, and it is NOT pretty. I suppose there's not a whole lot...

WAIT! You can get an Action Replay/Gameshark for GBA. Even if you don't already own one, I'm sure it's worth it to you to to save years of work. Use a Move modifier to give your Pokemon Fly, and you can Fly somewhere!

majora_787

Smash Hero
Yeah, I just realized that. Sorry.

Hm...have you tried asking around the PokeCenter for suggestions? Maybe someone knows something you can do. I know how it feels to lose so much in a game, and it is NOT pretty. I suppose there's not a whole lot...

WAIT! You can get an Action Replay/Gameshark for GBA. Even if you don't already own one, I'm sure it's worth it to you to to save years of work. Use a Move modifier to give your Pokemon Fly, and you can Fly somewhere!
EDIT: I found a move modifier for HMs. I couldn't teach mewtwo how to fly. So I need a new code from SOMEWHERE.

I tried instand battle mixed with a wild pokemon mod. Then I realized, not only am I stuck on half a square of land and half of water, the land and water don't have pokemon. I'm so screwed. -_-

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I could try that. I don't think I could customize movesets, but I could try to put in some of your sprites over another Pokemons'. It would require a ROM though.

Spire

III
BRoomer
I could try that. I don't think I could customize movesets, but I could try to put in some of your sprites over another Pokemons'. It would require a ROM though.
I have the ROMs for FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald, along with the program Advanced Map. It's pretty cool. You can completely change the game world however you like. I haven't figured out how to customize sprites however, and I'm wanting to do so.

Ultra Nova

Smash Apprentice
to firus

Yeah there is certain way to do it, but im not good at explaining things but there is a tutorial on youtube showing how to do it. Just type in pokeradar and the guide should pop up. Its done by a girl named Shuko.

It works cause i have caught like 5 shinies in a short amount of time.

buizel, eevee, larvitar, ralts, pachirisu

Onvoloper

Smash Cadet
I was EV training earlier, so i was surfing for Tentacools/Cruels and out of the hundreds I was fighting, a grey shiny one popped up! I caught that ***** in a heartbeat, lol.

Wewt~
LOL same way I got my shiny tenacool xD...too bad I restarted my game without trading anything over lol :laugh:

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I have the ROMs for FireRed, LeafGreen, and Emerald, along with the program Advanced Map. It's pretty cool. You can completely change the game world however you like. I haven't figured out how to customize sprites however, and I'm wanting to do so.
Well, for some ROMs there's a folder in them for all of the games graphics. If you had gotten one of those, you could try to replace them there.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
could you give me a link for the ROM's, because ive looked and I can't find, you can PM them to me if youd like.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
Okay guys, no more discussion of ROMs. They're technically illegal (though I'm pretty sure all of us own all the games that we're talking about, so they're not for us) and that's not allowed.

If you want to get to me about finding ROMs or changing sprites in ROMs, just PM me.

But uh... back to shinys now?!

zrky

Smash Lol'd
to firus

Yeah there is certain way to do it, but im not good at explaining things but there is a tutorial on youtube showing how to do it. Just type in pokeradar and the guide should pop up. Its done by a girl named Shuko.

It works cause i have caught like 5 shinies in a short amount of time.

buizel, eevee, larvitar, ralts, pachirisu
I haven't been succesful with it yet, but I only tried like 20 minutes. But thanks it helped.

Does anyone know of the EASIEST way to find shinies.

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
I caught a shiny grimer in gold/silver.. no wait I think it was crystal..lol anyways--do shinies stay shiny when u evolve tem? i was to scared 2 evolve it because I was afraid it would lose it's shinyness lol..

oh yea! and I caught a shiny red gyrados! haha

Red Hawk One

Smash Apprentice
We are currently not at liberty to divulge that in
About the semi-legit way of obtaining shinies, trading. What would you say is a fair offer for a shiny? For example, I have a couple shiny Riolus that I could trade off; what would be a fair price?

EDIT: The easiest way to find shinies (or at least most surefire) would be to chain, unfortunatly. You need the PokeRadar, luck, repels, and a well written guide from an expert. I'd recommend Googling it.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I don't hunt for shinys, I find them and realize I have a week tops before something bad happens to my game. To me, they're a curse. A curse that is still fun to find now and then. XD

zrky

Smash Lol'd
I caught a shiny grimer in gold/silver.. no wait I think it was crystal..lol anyways--do shinies stay shiny when u evolve tem? i was to scared 2 evolve it because I was afraid it would lose it's shinyness lol..

oh yea! and I caught a shiny red gyrados! haha
Yes they stay shinny when they evolve. I accidentally killed the red Gyarados in Silver:urg:

LUVTOY77-ROGUE WIREFRAME

Smash Champion
Hmmm I wish I knew that then! I thought it'd go back to normal so I just threw it in my box and forgot about it because it was always so annoying when it would grow a level and start to evolve (can't remember why I didn't use that stone that stops evolution)...
Haha that Red Gyarados was the coolest thing ever at the time haha

Wrath`

Smash Master
I never encountered a shiny in G/S/C,

The shines I have found after that are:

Shiny marill, wich I evolved and it became a difrent color again, i was swing and fishing around looking for feabass at the time(till i relized i was in the wrong place)

I found a shiney numle just goofing of tnear theski lift looking machien

In emerald I caught a shiny spinirak in the safari zone.

and a shiny pepiler roaming the oceans

majora_787

Smash Hero
My shiny collection on ruby includes a shiny Corphish, shiny Gyarados, shiny Duskull, and I had a shiny Gloom once...but I traded it for a *mumble mumble mumble* <_<

majora_787

Smash Hero
I can't. You'll laugh. u_u

The corphish is on ruby.
The duskull is on sapphire.
The gyarados and *mumble mumble* are on Silver.

Bowser King

Have It Your Way
Fine, you don't need to :(. I was just interested to find out. I'm not really one of those people who laugh at other's misery

Top Bottom