• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the secret zelda strats discussionzone

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
zel beats dk pretty good dk has no shield v zel kicks poke and fsmash always pokes and dtilt always pokes

zel def has advantage
This

I kept getting ***** by random shieldpokes, such bull****.

I think the matchup isn't bad for DK on Stadium, DL64, and FD though; much more even.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I still think DK just has to maintain the threat of punch. Light shield is crucial as well. And, of course, Zelda has trouble dealing with capable dash dancing, even in spite of DK's slow dash dance.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
DK has a fast dash dance!

I couldn't light shield cause I was using a broken controller lol.

pockeystick

Smash Apprentice
chain throw him then! keep grabbin! if he dis away kick if he doesnt up smash ALOT

over and over and over again

umm yoshis story (2 kicks kills like 110 percent of the cast and your recovery is bawling there.

Dreamland is cool if you want to camp but other than that it is kinda overrated for zelda.

Battlefields not bad...easy edgeguarding

i love platforms so fountain is one of my favs for sure

brinstar is broken

and rainbow cruise is my favorite counterpick of all time

OF alll tiiiime
I love Yoshi's story its my favorite

D

Deleted member

zelda has a legit DD because she can kick out of it either direction on reaction. it's kind of like ganon's, which is also fairly underrated.

zelda's grab sucks, but not by a whole lot, you just can't shieldgrab much (and really, how many characters can?). as a dashgrab though it's surprisingly decent.

TheLake

Smash Master
Zelda vs DK is tootally in DK's favor

his fists are huge!

pikachu is the worst matchup ever

luigi is a chump

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
I need to go back and study Cosmo's videos seriously now.
Yeah same here. He definitely knows what he's doing.

I've been messing with a lot of things I never really bothered to learn before including wavedash out of shield and upsmash out of shield. i'm not really sure what situations are best for upsmash out of shield but so far i've sort of just used it while a character is directly over me after doing an aerial move. Wavedash out of shield seems pretty good for dealing with shield pressure but i haven't played against anyone recently and haven't really incorporated it yet.

Quick question though- How do you buffer a roll after wavelanding onto the stage? That's something else i've wanted to learn how to do

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Buffer the roll during the 4 frame landing lag.

Up-smash out of shield is pretty decent for dealing with space animal shield pressure.

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
when you press R to waveland, keep holding R. hold the C stick the direction you want to roll. it's that easy.

rolling while you are standing at the ledge is a little predictable so be careful. don't go into autopilot

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Do you guys ever dair/d-tilt -> u-tilt for the KO on floaties? It seems really good, since it works from ~90-130%. That u-tilt is sooo powerful.

Do you guys ever dair/d-tilt -> u-tilt for the KO on floaties? It seems really good, since it works from ~90-130%. That u-tilt is sooo powerful.
How do you even get hits with dtilt? That hit box is like doesn't exist above the ground

Cosmo!

nerf zelda's dsmash
dtilt is decent

it shield stabs a lot of characters often

doesn't work on some

sometimes ill get kills on defensive falcos by doing empty hop dtilt on their shield into dsmash then edgeguard, etc

D

Deleted member

dtilt sucks. it's slow, weak, laggy, and leaves you open to ****. zelda dtilt is a great example of a "low tier move" and why low tiers have on average worse attacks than better characters. It's basically only worth using on characters with bad recoveries going for the ledge, and even then you'd be better off w/ a simple edge hog > ledge jump throw/bair them back off since it keeps them in a worse position than your dtilt ever could unless it's something like falco side B. even then falco can just choose not to respect your edge guard and side B straight at you and usually zelda can only react accordingly in a handful of ways.

don't use dtilt, it's bad. all of her tilts are bad honestly.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
D-tilt to u-tilt on Jiggs at ~85% is still the greatest combo ever.

It's like a stomp to knee, because it kills.

But it's with tilts. Zelda's tilts.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
I got an A in philosophy.

Pretty much what I learned is that truth can be defined between multiple parties only to a degree relative to what they agree to accept as foundational truths.

Which basically leads to a circle. But whatever.

I can't figure out why Falcson is such a bad match-up for Zelda... it's not that bad at all.
When you're in the air, you don't get back down (against an opponent that knows how to keep hitting you)

You might be playing Spoon's Falcon. My Zelda went even vs his Falcon. It's not nearly as good as his Fox

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
When you're in the air against Falcon, wiggle out and airdodge toward the ground in such a fashion that will make it hard for him to get to you in time to punish.

ChivalRuse

Smash Hero
Well timed SH bairs **** his nair.

Dash attack goes right under a lot of his SHFFLs if you space it right.

Don't be afraid to roll on reaction to his short hops.

F-smash if he's at a distance to put himself directly in front of you with a running SHFFL (on reaction if you can).

Avoid full jumping unnecessarily.

Make ample use of run away -> shield and be prepared to bair out of shield/up-smash out of shield depending on how he approaches.

Always be CCing at low percents, while moving constantly (wavedashing into CCs makes this easier). If you see him throw out a knee or stomp, just shield on reaction.

If you successfully CC his nair, uair, or weak knee, always d-smash, because it's the only thing fast enough to really hit him before he can escape.

If he does something laggier like raptor boost, feel free to grab or f-tilt him after the CC, since these generally lead to more damaging situations.

GKInfinity

Smash Champion
Basically what ChivalRuse said^

Jab's actually pretty good against falcon too

If you play against a good falcon you'll realize why it's such a bad MU. I've 3 stocked falcon's that can make it out of pools at a decent sized tournament, but when you play against a really good falcon you can get completely shut down

TheLake

Smash Master
Play a good falcon

and youll realize zelda

is a girl version of falcon

that can recover...i guess

double sweetspot attack in the air...

and turn into the games best character

ya dig

Top Bottom