• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR's Official Position on Metaknight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Binx

Smash Master
I agree with this decision, I was pro ban for a while but after seeing better players it still seems fairly close, Metaknight is ridiculous at lower levels of play though.

Sliq

Smash Master
I have talked with M2K. The issue is resolved, and I hold no further resentment for his silly shenanigans. That is all.

The Real Inferno

Smash Hero
I've yet to be convinced Doop walking does anything worth it (beyond making your character look like he's having a ****** fit). At least it desyncs the ice climbers I guess. Also it has a stupid name. It needs a less stupid name please. Call it "Super ****** Walking" or something that would be awesome. I'd use it all the time just to say I was Super ****** Walking whenever anyone asked what I was doing.

Edit: And seriously? Midwest ***s? That's some over the line bull****.

Nyjin

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3179-6397-7213
I'm saddened by this...not really for myself too much since I play Falco and can do decently against Metaknights (Camp my heart out ;P).

Oh well...too bad. Maybe next time! :D

Btw everyone, all your posts either say 3 things:

1. I disagree
2. I agree
3. People who agree/disagree suck and my opinion is better.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
I wish someone would end this discussion. People just look pathetic. Let's just look at the facts:

1.) MK will not be banned.

So instead of discussing why MK should be banned (because nothing will change from discussing it), why don't you guys spend more time developing strategies to beat MK? I swear if you guys spent half the time training or discussing character specific strategies against MK that he wouldn't be half the problem he is now for you guys.

When there's a wall in front of you that you can't get over, you don't stand there whining hoping that it will disappear. You improve yourself and smash through it. Even if the wall were to disappear, you would come out better than your original self.
That's not correct. Read between the lines and look at the "why" not the what.

Look at what HyugaRicdeau said, a lot of why the neutrals were not convinced was because there was not a concrete ban criteria.

Given a concrete ban criteria, a ban is possible in the future. It's not a useless discussion.

from snakes uair?

because if so it just proves snakes uair isn't as strong as you seem to imply by yelling around that mk lives to 180

if he's dying earlier than other characters then it proves he is light lmao

what's even funnier is how when

it's because of your

yet when mk lives to 180 it's because he's broken

lmfaaaaao
I think you're missing the point, being light isn't much of a weakness if it only makes a minor difference in kill percents.

If you ever play M2K I can guarantee you will take that statement back. You'll realize he takes his character to a whole different level. There's a difference between scrubby MK's and Jason. You'll have to play him to believe it, you really have no idea. He is an example of true skill.
Jesiah, this is really just a p***ing contest between the two of them. I doubt that outside of this either would believe that the other is unskilled. It's little more then a succession of digs aimed at getting under each other's skins, and while there seems to be a kernel of truth in what OS is saying, it's manipulated so strongly that it doesn't match up with facts.

M2K is straight-out flaming.

No point in responding to either of them really because that discussion has moved past reality.

Also. I've officially come to the conclusion that alot of people on here, have no sense. None.
We figured that out a while ago.

teh_spamerer

Smash Master
You.... didn't score high on the reading section of the ACT, did you? :(

I even made a post that ended with people with only 2 brain cells saying OMGWTF 180%?!?!?!?, implying that that wasn't the focus of my statement. :\
LMAO, are you serious? You have posted how you have survived Snake's upair at 180% in various threads to "prove" that Meta Knight is not light. The entire post I quoted is about how Meta Knight is not light and doesn't die. What is the only piece of evidence you use to back it up? That you survive an upair on Wifi at 180% with Meta Knight. So yes, I am going to attack your worthless statement by responding to the only evidence you use to substantiate your claim that Meta Knight is not light.

And I won doubles that tournament, and did so without playing the game save for the tournament 2 months previous. That's pretty lame, no?
Congratulations, in an event where you have a partner that can make up for you where a total of 12 teams entered you won. As it stands, Brawl requires minimal tech skill so unless you forget how to space moves not playing for 2 months should have a minimal effect on your skill level if it has any at all.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
LMAO, are you serious? You have posted how you have survived Snake's upair at 180% in various threads to "prove" that Meta Knight is not light. The entire post I quoted is about how Meta Knight is not light and doesn't die. What is the only piece of evidence you use to back it up? That you survive an upair on Wifi at 180% with Meta Knight. So yes, I am going to attack your worthless statement by responding to the only evidence you use to substantiate your claim that Meta Knight is not light.
You misunderstand.

He's not saying that MK is not light, he's saying that MK being light is NOT A SUBSTANTIAL WEAKNESS, that is because he survives long enough on average, to win the vast majority of encounters.

His tournament results and match-ups are evidence of that, and that implication was the focus here.

The "survive at 180%" was an example.

Regardless, no you don't get additional time to DI on Wifi generally speaking. Latency is generally more dominant then lag, and that actually gives you less time to DI. Because the gap between when you push a button and when your character does something is so significant (even with green connections) DIing is actually harder, generally. There are exceptions, but generally latency dominates lag.

Congratulations, in an event where you have a partner that can make up for you where a total of 12 teams entered you won. As it stands, Brawl requires minimal tech skill so unless you forget how to space moves not playing for 2 months should have a minimal effect on your skill level if it has any at all.
Teams have gotta work together, so a weak link hurts about as much as in singles, and you gotta practice together, you can't just practice on your own. Teamplay is a fair point.

but adam is awesome and madd smart
:) :)

he taught me about proving theorys and it was amazing
Thanks, I think.

lol, I know logic way too well.

BEES

Smash Lord
I was expecting a ban, hoping for a ban, but I will take this in stride. This is the tricky thing about Metaknight. He doesn't have long infinities or massively one-sided fights that would make this decision easy. Instead his advantage is small over each character, but prevailing across the cast. More of an annoyance than a game-breaker.

Omni

You can't break those cuffs.
BRoomer
That's not correct. Read between the lines and look at the "why" not the what.

Look at what HyugaRicdeau said, a lot of why the neutrals were not convinced was because there was not a concrete ban criteria.

Given a concrete ban criteria, a ban is possible in the future. It's not a useless discussion.
It's useless in the fact that by the time you somehow accomplish banning MK, you'll be miles behind in the current smash metagame.

The Smash community has an overwhelming amount of people who talk big and whine loud.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
It's useless in the fact that by the time you somehow accomplish banning MK, you'll be miles behind in the current smash metagame.

The Smash community has an overwhelming amount of people who talk big and whine loud.
Well, I would assume that this is far from the only thing that the pro-ban crowd is doing with their lives, right guys?

Regardless, even if they do get behind, it's their problem, not the communities.

And yes, that is common to most communities.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
his silly shenanigans?
You know, man, each and every post I read from you makes me want to kill you more. Seriously, you just post senseless oneliners without any purpose just to get thousands of posts quickly, don't you? I haven't read one post of you which had something useful or interesting in it, just random stuff like the one I quoted, or "I understand now", or "I like Brawl", or stuff like that.

Seriously, I have nothing against some spam or oneliners now and then, but come on, how about contributing something?

KAT0N

Smash Apprentice
As of right now I am Neutral leaning Pro-Ban. While I've only attended one tourney, MK was banned there, and from what I saw counter picks existed and the finals weren't just tornado and little masked men grunting.

The reason I'm only leaning Pro-Ban is because I feel like the meta game isn't going forward because everyone is discouraged by MK's constant proliferation. The meta game seems to be "beat Meta Knight with Meta Knight", and if an MK loses its the players fault and not the characters. While Diddy is possibly a viable counter, thats ONE character. Yes, stat wise Marth is only countered by MK and Snake but he has stage counters and even matchups. MK DOES NOT.

Until a HUGE AT comes out MK will be God [ed:]unless it also aids him. And it looks like this Pivot Walking will only further help MK D:

Nic64

Smash Lord
I've yet to be convinced Doop walking does anything worth it (beyond making your character look like he's having a ****** fit)
that's why it's so useful you can just walk around like an idiot and then when they least expect it, BAM, warlock punch to the face. it's twice as effective if you yell YOU DARE BRING LIGHT TO MY LAIR?

it's only too bad that only ganondorf can counter MK with this but at least it's something

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
There are catch frames for all attacks, the entire duration of the attack is not equal to the entire duration of when you can catch a projectile. For example, I hit MK all the time with nana's after they initiate the N-air because the catch frames for the N-air are relatively early, while the move lasts a decent amount of time (in comparison, with say, the D-air). As a result you can hit MK as they are performing the Nair. Learning to predict incoming attacks (along with having good spacing/timing) as Diddy is a key component to being successful, because it makes the difference between getting a hit or losing control completely of a banana.

TL:DR: Catching a projectile occurs during the start up of the air attack/ground attack. If a projectile overlaps your character after the attack is already out, then the projectile will not be caught.
It is not hard to learn how to spam. Actully, most people can do it without practicing.

TheREALShadowChaos

Smash Journeyman
Hey, did I mention me and everyone else who is exceptional at this game have found ways to beat him? Maybe I can share some things with you to help you do the same.

Oh wait... you're too busy discussing politics. Nevermind.
Well, share them with us!

Ah wait.... You do not have any good ways your just trying to make us believe that Mk is balanced without any good arguments. Nevermind.

darkserenade

Smash Ace
Joy....Joy...joy...

This is honestly one of the weirdest decisions the SBR has ever made.

Metaknight is like the stock market these days in America.

MachinegunNorm

Smash Lord
so i guess it doesn't matter what the users think and it didn't matter about the poll? how stupid.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
Isn't the point of a game to keep winning? Would you do the same if you were making a few hundred bucks every month?
I do. I used to make videos explaining people how to play and get out of things... ocne my new computer gets in I'm hopefully gonna be able to do that again. Ize excited XD

so i guess it doesn't matter what the users think and it didn't matter about the poll? how stupid.
I wasn't personally happy with how the poll was handled, nor the timing that was allowed. However, the public poll is merely to gauge public perception, NOT to make a decision. I believe the public is making the RIGHT decision here, but all this really shows is that MK is an issue to many players. A similar vote could be found for a stage like Norfair, and Norfair is just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom