• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The San Antonio Brawl Thread: Steakfest 3, 7/31, see 1st post, new annoucements!

What night would you like Gamelot's weekly gaming fests to be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
You should give it some time first before deciding something like that. You may grow to love it.

If you like pure strategy you should play Go =)))))
I refuse to play a game with a certain design that is forced to work as a separate design by some old fogeys. (Yea, I'm talking about you Melee-goers. Seriously, play Melee and stop screwing with Brawl.)

The only thing cool that's come from this is the no tripping code, and those fun little things like making levels beyond borders, etc.

Melee 2.0 should only be for fun, or small side tournaments. That abomination should NEVER see official tournament play.

Also, Go doesn't have popular vidja game characters beating the living crap out of each other...

K1T3

Smash Lord
Yeah, plus it has that problem of requiring actual practice and strategy.... and you can't play it perfectly upon picking it up by purely learning what does what and having good reaction time.
(lol ignore my Go rambles I love the game waaayyyy too much cause it's just so **** good)

Now again as I said before it is just for fun, and again I doubt it will ever replace regular brawl, but I sure am happy that not only people with yalls mindsets were around when CounterStrike and Dota came around as both of those were abominations where the original design was forced to be something completely different yet became quite amazing and some of the best/most popular/highest prize games ever.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Well for people who play Counter-Strike either don't have lives, OR don't want to leave the basement of their mothers house =/

IMO, i don't like the game at all cause I'm not a computer game guy, unless you count Star Craft. That game is the s*** =)

Hey Espy, did you wanna go on Guilty Gear next Wednesday? I'm gonna dust it off and 3s and play those again

K1T3

Smash Lord
Well for people who play Counter-Strike either don't have lives, OR don't want to leave the basement of their mothers house =/

IMO, i don't like the game at all cause I'm not a computer game guy, unless you count Star Craft. That game is the s*** =)

Hey Espy, did you wanna go on Guilty Gear next Wednesday? I'm gonna dust it off and 3s and play those again
Quincy you're amazing.

We should play some SC =)

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Lol...we should play sometimes. My life for the swarm =)

K1T3

Smash Lord
It seems every single smash player without exception all play zerg =)
I think it's awesome personally.

Maybe we can do a couple games on Bnet over the weekend.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
It's like people don't realize that we have already altered how smash is played and limited things. We definitly don't play the game in any way how it was intended to be played. Changing games via patches is quite common in PC games, just forign to consol gamers because it hasn't really been an option.

Now that it is don't be too afriad to explore new possibilities.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Not to mention that there is a mod community in PC gaming, and some mods, like Pirates which was a mod of Battlefield 1942, ended up becoming full fledged games backed by a major company.

Not that Nintendo has ever been up on the indy scene though.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
It's like people don't realize that we have already altered how smash is played and limited things. We definitly don't play the game in any way how it was intended to be played. Changing games via patches is quite common in PC games, just forign to consol gamers because it hasn't really been an option.

Nothing against this post, but for some reason it sounds like your FOR Melee 2.0 =/

@ K1t3: Ok that's cool....just hit me up if you wanna go =)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose

My mind's always open (albeit scattered around everywhere).

I'd need to be persuaded to play Melee 2.0 in a tournament scene, or at all.

And that crap I saw at Lee Harris tournament won't do, not at all.

If everyone is so dead bent on working with 2.0, then perhaps they should work on it for a bit longer, and find a way for it to be applied on all Wiis, or at least make it so that it doesn't hinder those without the ability to mod their own.

Until I see a version in the future that plays well without any bugs or bad hijinks or whatnot, I'm sticking with what Brawl gave us.

It's like people don't realize that we have already altered how smash is played and limited things.
It's been altered and limited within the game's own abilities.

But as I've said, I'm all up for modding and playing the modded version as its own.

It'd just have to be REALLY convincing.

Until the mod-ers get there, go back to your sinking Melee ship.

---

@Greyfox: Sure, I'll play some 3S and GG with you. However, I've only played GGX2 and Isuka, so if we play GGAC, I'll be clueless to some things, although I'm sure the transition will be smooth.

However, I'm at Gamelot on Wednesdays for BRAWL. I need to step up my game. I've noticed that I'm playing like crap recently...

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
@Greyfox: Sure, I'll play some 3S and GG with you. However, I've only played GGX2 and Isuka, so if we play GGAC, I'll be clueless to some things, although I'm sure the transition will be smooth.

However, I'm at Gamelot on Wednesdays for BRAWL. I need to step up my game. I've noticed that I'm playing like crap recently...
Playing like crap and still beating all of us? It's more like all of us need to step up =/

Lol then i guess its 3s then?

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Playing like crap and still beating all of us? It's more like all of us need to step up =/

Lol then i guess its 3s then?
When I say play like crap, I mean I'm slipping up here and there. I've been doing the same moves in pattern, I haven't been autocanceling fast enough, and I'm overall beginning to become more predictable. I've gotta mix up s'more.

and as I've said, 3s AND GG. I CAN still play GG, and I've been wanting to play AC for awhile...

PS: We should really set up a crew or something for SA. We can all grow off of each others styles and improve much faster.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Ah i see...well its the same with my Zelda, except your Sonic has a little bit more options cause he's faster.

And i do have AC so next time we meet on Wednesday, we can play a little

Also, Nike20 was wanting to do that, but the thing is who do you want to be in the SA Crew?

You and Nike20 are a given and Slim as well

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
Ah i see...well its the same with my Zelda, except your Sonic has a little bit more options cause he's faster.

And i do have AC so next time we meet on Wednesday, we can play a little

Also, Nike20 was wanting to do that, but the thing is who do you want to be in the SA Crew?

You and Nike20 are a given and Slim as well
I talked about that with Tim ans he said slim had a crew

we both agreed the best one would prolly be Nike, espy, me, greyfox and tim

EDIT: i just figured out a chain grab for squirtle :D he is gettin even sexier

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
I talked about that with Tim ans he said slim had a crew

we both agreed the best one would prolly be Nike, espy, me, greyfox and tim

EDIT: i just figured out a chain grab for squirtle :D he is gettin even sexier
How about that Morningstar guy?

He did get 3rd in October's tournament...

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Well when you put it like that, then you have to count me in as well.

The Crew I'm in is called RnJ, but I'm talking about a crew for players in SA to gather. Like a city crew.

@Espy: He or Ethan is supposed to be having a tourney today but i dunno where Ethan lives....just that they live near Gamelot =/

fsdfsdgsgdf

Smash Champion
How about that Morningstar guy?

He did get 3rd in October's tournament...
well if we are going to go off last tourny rankings.....

i dont even think thats a good idea because someone might place higher but that doesn't make them batter than a lower placed person just depends on who you play.

If u find out grey let me know asap please

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Well when you put it like that, then you have to count me in as well.

The Crew I'm in is called RnJ, but I'm talking about a crew for players in SA to gather. Like a city crew.

@Espy: He or Ethan is supposed to be having a tourney today but i dunno where Ethan lives....just that they live near Gamelot =/
I was going to go to that tournament as well, but Ethan said it starts at 3PM.

I'm at work until 7, so tough luck for me...

Perhaps in November, during the Wednesday meetups at Gamelot, we can order this thing out...

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I was going to go to that tournament as well, but Ethan said it starts at 3PM.

I'm at work until 7, so tough luck for me...

Perhaps in November, during the Wednesday meetups at Gamelot, we can order this thing out...
Does anyone know where Ethan lives? Cause i still cant find it =/ and I'm still looking on going

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Does anyone know where Ethan lives? Cause i still cant find it =/ and I'm still looking on going
Ethan said:
haha it starts around 3. My number is 210-544-9710
5943 cliff trail
You might want to call him before you just go though... >_>

I'll consider going if there's going to be a small smashfest afterward...but it's a big if...

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
Ok i got it. Now imma pick up Suspect and we will be there soon.

K1T3

Smash Lord
I got Brawl Player's Cut today. This game is so very very amazing. I love it! It's so fast and fun! I can simply feel the potential oozing out of every character in the game and know that I am no where near what that character will truely be capable of. This is just such a great feeling. You have soo much more control of your character and how they move and you can make them do so much more then they were able to before. This is the game I was hoping to get when brawl came out. Granted it could be improved but even with what I have so far it's just great.
(Truthfully though just with these things added is good. I think changing hit stuns/shield hitstuns, attempting to balance characters or anything else like that might only take away from the potential.)

The codes I'm using are L canceling (not shield(S) canceling), directional air dodge, no tripping, and 1.25 times gravity (doesn't kill characters recoveries but helps mend that super floaty feel everyone had and allows the game to move at a much faster pace and with egde gaurding mattering again and teching being something you need to know how to do again.

If anyone is at all interested in trying this out let me know. I'll be happy to have some people over for a smashfest =)

P.S. Falcon feels so amazing and is a super pimp =)
P.P.S. Hell, every character feels so very amazing XD

Edit: I'm sure once this gets play tested a bunch there'll still be lots of problems due to chaingrabs/infinites/and other gayities of brawl but for now I'ma just be estatic.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
I got Brawl Player's Cut today. This game is so very very amazing. I love it! It's so fast and fun! I can simply feel the potential oozing out of every character in the game and know that I am no where near what that character will truely be capable of. This is just such a great feeling. You have soo much more control of your character and how they move and you can make them do so much more then they were able to before. This is the game I was hoping to get when brawl came out. Granted it could be improved but even with what I have so far it's just great.
(Truthfully though just with these things added is good. I think changing hit stuns/shield hitstuns, attempting to balance characters or anything else like that might only take away from the potential.)

The codes I'm using are L canceling (not shield(S) canceling), directional air dodge, no tripping, and 1.25 times gravity (doesn't kill characters recoveries but helps mend that super floaty feel everyone had and allows the game to move at a much faster pace and with egde gaurding mattering again and teching being something you need to know how to do again.

If anyone is at all interested in trying this out let me know. I'll be happy to have some people over for a smashfest =)

P.S. Falcon feels so amazing and is a super pimp =)
P.P.S. Hell, every character feels so very amazing XD

Edit: I'm sure once this gets play tested a bunch there'll still be lots of problems due to chaingrabs/infinites/and other gayities of brawl but for now I'ma just be estatic.
L canceling? good. Shield Canceling is just plain silly.

P.S. Falcon is still **** in Brawl without the hitstun :urg:

They need to make throws actually good for combos. Almost no one can do them.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103

Whoa whoa whoa...Brawls throw game is like...broken lol KM.

The MC Clusky

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0404-6991-4531
Whoa whoa whoa...Brawls throw game is like...broken lol KM.
Only for chaingrabs right?

There isn't anything like Downthrow to Knee any more is there? That's what I'm talking about. That and there is hardly any reliable kill throws (Peach could really use her old fthrow)

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
The bolded parts...oh the bolded parts.

I kinda threw up in my mouth a little when I read that.

Wouldn't multi-jumpers only **** harder with only ONE aerial dodge? MK's gimp game improves, doesn't it?

And the gravity thing...it makes Sonic's recovery cry. I don't mind it too much, but the gravity kills his UpB -> Uair KOs, making it even HARDER to KO, I would assume. Of course, I could and am possibly wrong, but this is assuming gravity sucks people down faster.

The only thing I definately don't like coming out of this whole Brawl+ fad would be the directional airdodge. Screws with everything off stage. Oh, and the S-Shielding. Kudos to the hackers for being able to fix it to only cut the lag in half.

Wavedashing was cool and all, but you seriously don't need it.

GreyFox86

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1951-0169-9972
Switch FC
SW-4494-3990-4799
I'm with Puff on this one. Brawl is just gonna be that, Brawl and by changing the technicalities, you've basically made a MELEE game out of a game that was (and still is) supposed to be for BRAWL.

And that's the difference Ladies and Gentleman of the Jury, Brawl is always gonna be for Brawl and nothing more.

All this changes like Melee 2.0, which is a sad excuse for Melee players not wanting to give up whats already in the past, should have not have been created or made cause of the sole fact that there is indeed MELEE for the GC.

IMO, leave Brawl the way it is and if you want to do Melee techs and stuff, just goto Melee and leave Brawl alone. 'Cause in all honesty, playing a Melee version of Brawl is nothing more than a child wanting candy at the food store.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Next time I see Santi and Dojo at a tournament...

I want to have some friendlies with you guys. That'd be awesome.
Specifically you, Santi.

K1T3

Smash Lord

There's still hitstun in brawl it's just not as much as in melee.
Falcon is fine. Dair -> Knee is a real consecutive hit combo in brawl =)
**** was so cash when I pulled that off so I checked training mode to check it and it actually combos.

The bolded parts...oh the bolded parts.

I kinda threw up in my mouth a little when I read that.

Wouldn't multi-jumpers only **** harder with only ONE aerial dodge? MK's gimp game improves, doesn't it?

And the gravity thing...it makes Sonic's recovery cry. I don't mind it too much, but the gravity kills his UpB -> Uair KOs, making it even HARDER to KO, I would assume. Of course, I could and am possibly wrong, but this is assuming gravity sucks people down faster.

The only thing I definately don't like coming out of this whole Brawl+ fad would be the directional airdodge. Screws with everything off stage. Oh, and the S-Shielding. Kudos to the hackers for being able to fix it to only cut the lag in half.

Wavedashing was cool and all, but you seriously don't need it.
One directional air dodge. combine this with the increased gravity and getting down to the stage is about the same as it was in melee. It's also harder to edge gaurd as there is a real risk involved in doing it now that you fall faster, but the payoff is higher as well. I can't say for sure whether MK will still **** but even if he does it's no different than regular brawl. With all the possibilities opened up to all the other characters now though I wouldn't be suprised if MetaKnight ended up being worse comparitively when compared normally.

Sonic's recovery is still fine. He can now air dodge up after his up B and 1.25 doesn't gimp recoveries as much as heavy brawl. Not to mention his other B moves help his recovery quite a bit even if he didn't have up B.

Some people told me to put the dmg to 1.1 to counteract the fact that it's harder to kill upwards now. I tried it out and it's actually quite nice. It speeds up kills over all so people don't live to 200% everytime and it only lets falco chaingrab a couple of times before it stops. This is good and probably needed as he becomes even more beastly with his double laser becoming much more potent and L canceling helps him a while lot.

The directional airdodge actually only helps things off stage. With the slightly higher gravity if you airdodge off stage even if it was non directional you would more than likely fall too far down to be able to recover anyway. So adding a direction actually helps a lot of peoples recoveries, i.e. Sonic, people with grapples (they're the ones that really need it).

On stage though having only one air dodge does mean that you can't spam it like most people do after they get hit. You actually have to think a bit and be smart when to use your air dodge.

As far as not needing wavedashing, I agree with you, in a sense. In melee wavedashing really wasn't "needed". In brawl on the other hand there isn't even applicable dash dancing. Wavedashing adds a sense of spacing and control that is very much needed and could not be attained normally with the brawl engine. The closest things brawl has to allow that sort of spacing are walking, dash shielding, or pulse walking (repeating your initial dash animation). Walking is just too slow and cannot give you the degree or speed of movement and open up the possibilities that wavedashing does. Dash sheilding is decent but still quite slow for trying to space and change directions. Pulse walking is good for some characters like Lucario but most characters don't have applicable spammable opening dash animations, well that and tripping is in normal brawl... so you can't really use it anyways...

I'm with Puff on this one. Brawl is just gonna be that, Brawl and by changing the technicalities, you've basically made a MELEE game out of a game that was (and still is) supposed to be for BRAWL.

And that's the difference Ladies and Gentleman of the Jury, Brawl is always gonna be for Brawl and nothing more.

All this changes like Melee 2.0, which is a sad excuse for Melee players not wanting to give up whats already in the past, should have not have been created or made cause of the sole fact that there is indeed MELEE for the GC.

IMO, leave Brawl the way it is and if you want to do Melee techs and stuff, just goto Melee and leave Brawl alone. 'Cause in all honesty, playing a Melee version of Brawl is nothing more than a child wanting candy at the food store.
Those who are doing this aren't forcing others to stop playing brawl. You have every right to not play this if you want, that is fine, but don't try to tell others that they can't create/play a game they enjoy just because you don't like it.

Also I'm not in favor of making Brawl into melee. I actually like some of the brawl physics. I just want some of the good things from melee that added depth/fun/enjoyment in Brawl as well. I think when you combine those aspects of melee with things like the new hit stun and shield system of brawl we will have a quite complex, competative, interesting game that has lots of potential and room to grow. Melee evolved as a game for 7 or 8 yrs. I want a version of brawl that I can keep playing, stay interested, and keep improving in for that long as well.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
There's still hitstun in brawl it's just not as much as in melee.
Falcon is fine. Dair -> Knee is a real consecutive hit combo in brawl =)
**** was so cash when I pulled that off so I checked training mode to check it and it actually combos.

One directional air dodge. combine this with the increased gravity and getting down to the stage is about the same as it was in melee. It's also harder to edge gaurd as there is a real risk involved in doing it now that you fall faster, but the payoff is higher as well. I can't say for sure whether MK will still **** but even if he does it's no different than regular brawl. With all the possibilities opened up to all the other characters now though I wouldn't be suprised if MetaKnight ended up being worse comparitively when compared normally.

Sonic's recovery is still fine. He can now air dodge up after his up B and 1.25 doesn't gimp recoveries as much as heavy brawl. Not to mention his other B moves help his recovery quite a bit even if he didn't have up B.

Some people told me to put the dmg to 1.1 to counteract the fact that it's harder to kill upwards now. I tried it out and it's actually quite nice. It speeds up kills over all so people don't live to 200% everytime and it only lets falco chaingrab a couple of times before it stops. This is good and probably needed as he becomes even more beastly with his double laser becoming much more potent and L canceling helps him a while lot.

The directional airdodge actually only helps things off stage. With the slightly higher gravity if you airdodge off stage even if it was non directional you would more than likely fall too far down to be able to recover anyway. So adding a direction actually helps a lot of peoples recoveries, i.e. Sonic, people with grapples (they're the ones that really need it).

On stage though having only one air dodge does mean that you can't spam it like most people do after they get hit. You actually have to think a bit and be smart when to use your air dodge.

As far as not needing wavedashing, I agree with you, in a sense. In melee wavedashing really wasn't "needed". In brawl on the other hand there isn't even applicable dash dancing. Wavedashing adds a sense of spacing and control that is very much needed and could not be attained normally with the brawl engine. The closest things brawl has to allow that sort of spacing are walking, dash shielding, or pulse walking (repeating your initial dash animation). Walking is just too slow and cannot give you the degree or speed of movement and open up the possibilities that wavedashing does. Dash sheilding is decent but still quite slow for trying to space and change directions. Pulse walking is good for some characters like Lucario but most characters don't have applicable spammable opening dash animations, well that and tripping is in normal brawl... so you can't really use it anyways...
I know it's one DIRECTIONAL airdodge. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to wavedash.

As I've said before, I'd need alot of persuading to even accept something like this Frankenstein of a game project.

I don't care how much it helps Sonic's recovery, or anyones for that matter. MK will **** just as hard, and some characters will have more difficult times getting to the stage (Falcon, Link, pretty much everyone with a "meh" recovery...Marth).

K1T3

Smash Lord
I know it's one DIRECTIONAL airdodge. Otherwise, you wouldn't be able to wavedash.

As I've said before, I'd need alot of persuading to even accept something like this Frankenstein of a game project.

I don't care how much it helps Sonic's recovery, or anyones for that matter. MK will **** just as hard, and some characters will have more difficult times getting to the stage (Falcon, Link, pretty much everyone with a "meh" recovery...Marth).
Again I'm not trying to force anyone to play this. I think it would be nice if some people did but it's fine if you don't like the idea.

I can't say for sure how well characters can recover now as I need more play testing first. But I can say that those characters are certainly improved on stage. Link and Falcon both have quite nice combo ability now and link will remain a great projectile camper. But I should mention that even if their recoveries end up being quite bad I think it's more likely that in this version that they move up on the tier list than down on it =P and at worst stay around the same spots so not much will be lost.

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Again I'm not trying to force anyone to play this. I think it would be nice if some people did but it's fine if you don't like the idea.

I can't say for sure how well characters can recover now as I need more play testing first. But I can say that those characters are certainly improved on stage. Link and Falcon both have quite nice combo ability now and link will remain a great projectile camper. But I should mention that even if their recoveries end up being quite bad I think it's more likely that in this version that they move up on the tier list than down on it =P and at worst stay around the same spots so not much will be lost.
Let's hope so.

Then again, this entire project still has to get by most TOs and the SBR.

Not to mention the issues when dealing with how to distribute it, and to allow those who can't afford to hack to be able to use this.

K1T3

Smash Lord
Let's hope so.

Then again, this entire project still has to get by most TOs and the SBR.

Not to mention the issues when dealing with how to distribute it, and to allow those who can't afford to hack to be able to use this.
Well I don't have to worry about it getting past TO's or the SBR and I doubt many others do as well. Most people just want to play this for fun and have a game they can enjoy. I don't know if anyone is thinking of truely trying to make this a regular tourney fixture yet.

It's free.... cost 0$ to hack... You go to the thread and it provides all the files you need. The only thing that might cost any money to get is Twilight princess, but you only need that for about 1 minute and most people know at least someone with the game that will let them borrow it for 1 minute.... If worse comes to worse it's always rentable(but that would cost a bit of money, less than a tourney entree though)

But yeah I could see lots of problems arise if people did ever try to do this regularly at tournies. (how to know everyone has the same hacks, etc, etc) But again we probably don't need to worry about that

Espy Rose

Dumb horse.
NNID
EspyRose
Well I don't have to worry about it getting past TO's or the SBR and I doubt many others do as well. Most people just want to play this for fun and have a game they can enjoy. I don't know if anyone is thinking of truely trying to make this a regular tourney fixture yet.

It's free.... cost 0$ to hack... You go to the thread and it provides all the files you need. The only thing that might cost any money to get is Twilight princess, but you only need that for about 1 minute and most people know at least someone with the game that will let them borrow it for 1 minute.... If worse comes to worse it's always rentable(but that would cost a bit of money, less than a tourney entree though)

But yeah I could see lots of problems arise if people did ever try to do this regularly at tournies. (how to know everyone has the same hacks, etc, etc) But again we probably don't need to worry about that
Don't you need a CPU that can read SD cards?

Ugh, I think I'm gonna have to buy an SD reader...****it.

I also wanna buy video recording equipment...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom