• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Salt Factory - Mafia Metagame Discussion Thread

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I want it. Someone host it. I want to ****ing play this ****.

:186:
I'd legitimately be down to host this myself, but depends if I host that or the other game I wanted to work with Nabe on making happen.

That or the 8 player open set-up I'm gonna steal from another site since it looks pretty good.

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
yeah the idea of posting gifs sounds fun until you realize it's people posting gifs in response to other gifs and four posts into it will just turn into a stage of constant RVS. I know for a fact that some players (including myself) would probably just start posting the strangest gifs possible as responses

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Then don't sign up. It's not as bad as all that. The problem is that there would be waaaaaaay too much censor dodging and flaming.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Ruy played a game as one kf overswarms roles onoy being able to post text once a day. The rest was all pictures. And iirc ryker and swiss played at least most of a game with only rage comics. Its not impossible. People would just turn into ***** about it

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
Ruy played a game as one kf overswarms roles onoy being able to post text once a day. The rest was all pictures. And iirc ryker and swiss played at least most of a game with only rage comics. Its not impossible. People would just turn into ****s about it
and it wirked wekk in bith scenariis.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
"In a dgames that doesn't have a queue, if you want people to be active in your game, I expect you to be active as a mod. I know it's overreacting, but posting 'flip soon' is like pissing on my leg and telling me its raining. I just want the flip already. My #1 piece of advice would be to get a co-mod to help handle votecounts &etc."

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Does the day technically ends as soon as a majority lynch is reached?
Does the mod have to post?

I'm just curious.

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Does the day technically ends as soon as a majority lynch is reached?
Does the mod have to post?

I'm just curious.
As soon as the majority is reached, it ends. Votes no longer count during that period. The time period between the majority being reached and the mod confirming so and doing the flip is referred to as twilight. Players can still talk during that time.

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
As soon as the majority is reached, it ends. Votes no longer count during that period. The time period between the majority being reached and the mood confirming so and doing the flip is referred to as twilight. Players can still talk during that time.
I see.Thank you.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
What to do with players that play like a PR in a game? How do we become better at crumbing?

Should we crumb? Should we crumb results? When for each.

Which roles should crumb? How do you become better at finding crumbs? (Would be useless to crumb and no one is able to find them haha)

Finally, is it scummy for a player who plays like a PR but claims VT later?

Last edited:

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I'm thinking up an idea for a mafia game,but I'm new and want some feedback...
The game would be centered around elements,with 7 player,2 maf,5 town.

The elements can be given to either mafia and town,except Light.
Here's what I'm thinking right now...

Wind
Once per game,can either:
Day Action:End the day with no lynch and skip the night,thus starting the next day,or
Night Action:Allows him to know all night actions by which players that night.
Fire
Night Action:Can kill 1 player each night.
Water
Not too sure here:
Night Action:Investigate a player to learn their night action or role?
Ice
No night actions work on the player.
Earth
Role blocker?Or janitor?
Light
Only town can get this element.Not sure what it does...
Not sure about the last element either...maybe Electricity?

Please offer any feedback.

Gova

I'm goin' for it!
NNID
Takicodos
Light can be mafia faction. In fact, in my Elements & Attributes Mafia, light was on the mafia faction. Also, having an extra kill via the fire role is too much in a 7 man game.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
Light can be mafia faction. In fact, in my Elements & Attributes Mafia, light was on the mafia faction. Also, having an extra kill via the fire role is too much in a 7 man game.
That's true,maybe mafia can't have Fire.Though at first,I didn't even imagine the maf having a mafia kill,though now I realize they need to.

~ Gheb ~

Life is just a party
A setup for 7 players should not have a role that can kill other people. Anything more than the obligatory mafia Night kill would be too much. For most set-ups I'd suggest to have at least 50% non-PRs [Vanilla Townies, Goons, Traitor, etc.] and not go overboard with the flavor aspect of the whole "element" thing [which has already been done on dGames anyway].

:059:

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
not go overboard with the flavor aspect of the whole "element" thing [which has already been done on dGames anyway].

:059:
This is really true. Don't try to make a all-pr setup unless you know exactly what you're doing or you get a lot of help, as making a mostly balanced all-pr setup is pretty difficult.

Maven89

Smash Master
So is there any way for a mafia game to have some absurdist element or gameplay attached to it while still being enjoyable? I'm a fan of Monty Python and was starting to wonder if one could make a mafia game out of it, I'd like it to be in true to the show and have something strange/absurd throughout the whole thing, but that also sounds like it could easily just ruin the entire game and make it feel disjointed or pointless. Are there any examples of mafia games that might be like that? Something where maybe the Day goes straight to another Day or the entire day/night action mechanics are changed?

As a side note: I wouldn't host something that complicated for probably months until I was better at understanding the game

Orboknown

Smash Hero
So is there any way for a mafia game to have some absurdist element or gameplay attached to it while still being enjoyable? I'm a fan of Monty Python and was starting to wonder if one could make a mafia game out of it, I'd like it to be in true to the show and have something strange/absurd throughout the whole thing, but that also sounds like it could easily just ruin the entire game and make it feel disjointed or pointless. Are there any examples of mafia games that might be like that? Something where maybe the Day goes straight to another Day or the entire day/night action mechanics are changed?

As a side note: I wouldn't host something that complicated for probably months until I was better at understanding the game
Marshy hosted a nightless game with all day actions not too far back
Os does crazy **** all the time to a degree
Ryker did something crazy woth his toonami maf

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect

sounds like you need a game where everyone is a roleblocker and the indie wincon is "dont get roleblocked 2 nights in a row" Kappa

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
speaking of OS set ups, does he still do games at times?

Maven89

Smash Master
As someone still new, the only thing I noticed was the last two scum games you would cling to a pretty minor point and try to run with it, with Badwolf in whatever mafia and the Seal thinking there was a doc in Sins, both happened when the majority started to push away from them which made you stick out. I guess noticing more when the town has switched course and when you need to flow with them instead of trying to push them back towards a bad course, even if it works you'll be suspect #1 as soon as the lynch went through

Last edited:

Maven89

Smash Master
Also, coming up with a game for fun that I might make later (not the monty python one), was wondering: what's a good way to stop name claims from ending/ruining the game? Is there a way to stop it without chopping up the flavor? Would people care if there was a rule that just outlawed it for the game?

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Also, coming up with a game for fun that I might make later (not the monty python one), was wondering: what's a good way to stop name claims from ending/ruining the game? Is there a way to stop it without chopping up the flavor? Would people care if there was a rule that just outlawed it for the game?
Give scum fake nameclaims that fit in with town flavor as well as their role.

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
outlawing role/nameclaims is kinda ridiculous and should never be the answer. the simple answer is to either make town aligned flavour ambiguous if possible (in my mario party 2 mafia, i believe i had a blue space as a town role), or DEFINITELY do what xonar said and give scum reasonable safeclaims (in community mafia, one of the mafia members had the sample pm, professor chang, as a safeclaim. that game also featured chevy chase's character as a part of the mafia, which may make little sense in the context of the show, but made great sense with the flavour of the game). remember, you dont HAVE to make your mafia game directly canonical with your flavor's origin, and in fact NOT doing so gives scum the opportunity to utilize that flavor claim safely (my role in dc vs marvel was the incredible hulk, mafia bus driver, but the hulk is a superhero canonically).

Top Bottom