• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Royal Guide/Faq of King Dedede. (Updated 7/26)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CO18

Smash Hero
I got a pm from a member that we should make a list of all the projectile's dedede's Ftilt cancels since it cancels alot and is quick.

I'm gonna start on it but some help would be appreciated.

Saiya

Smash Cadet
Hey there.
First and foremost, I would like to congratulate and thank you for such an amazing and thorough guide to the uses and strategies that can be executed with King Dedede. I read the entire thing and found it extremely informative and helpful to my Dedede, whom I considered to be pretty good already, heh.

But I do have a question about jab faking. Upon reading about it, I thought it was pretty straight forward and made sense and whatnot. But as I tried to use jab faking in matches against the cpu, I realized I'm having trouble approaching my opponent with it. I mean, it's hard enough as it is to approach an opponent or fend them off with a neutral move such as this one, but when I do manage to land the neutral a, I find myself pressing A rapidly which leads me to do the third jab unwillingly. Can anyone offer me any advice on how to deal with this issue? Also, I'd really appreciate if anyone could give me a scenario or something that would give me an idea of an ideal moment to nail an opponent with the neutral A in order to fake jab.

Thanks a bunch!

EyePlayBass

Smash Rookie
I really do like DDD. He's really fun to use. I just started trying to get good with him yesterday, i'm not very good with him so a lvl7 is my limit.:ohwell:

Hype

Smash Lord
You should add this to the swallowside part of the stratagies section.

When your on a platform such as smashville's platform off the edge, you can inhale your opponant then fall threw the platform.

This can be done on:
Smashville
Norfair
delfino plaza
Rainbow cruise

and others that I forgot

Saiya

Smash Cadet
Hey there.
First and foremost, I would like to congratulate and thank you for such an amazing and thorough guide to the uses and strategies that can be executed with King Dedede. I read the entire thing and found it extremely informative and helpful to my Dedede, whom I considered to be pretty good already, heh.

But I do have a question about jab faking. Upon reading about it, I thought it was pretty straight forward and made sense and whatnot. But as I tried to use jab faking in matches against the cpu, I realized I'm having trouble approaching my opponent with it. I mean, it's hard enough as it is to approach an opponent or fend them off with a neutral move such as this one, but when I do manage to land the neutral a, I find myself pressing A rapidly which leads me to do the third jab unwillingly. Can anyone offer me any advice on how to deal with this issue? Also, I'd really appreciate if anyone could give me a scenario or something that would give me an idea of an ideal moment to nail an opponent with the neutral A in order to fake jab.

Thanks a bunch!
Bump.
Anyone find anything on this?

Saiya

Smash Cadet
You should add this to the swallowside part of the stratagies section.

When your on a platform such as smashville's platform off the edge, you can inhale your opponant then fall threw the platform.

This can be done on:
Smashville
Norfair
delfino plaza
Rainbow cruise

and others that I forgot
Wow, I totally did not know that..... o_o

Saiya

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I'm not sure how known this is, so I didn't know if it was thread worthy, so I just posted it here.
lol, well I love it. Gives a whole new dimension in regards to my possibilities while on that platform in Smashville, heh. Thanks for the tip; I never would've guessed that something like that was possible, despite how obvious it is. =]

Hype

Smash Lord
lol, well I love it. Gives a whole new dimension in regards to my possibilities while on that platform in Smashville, heh. Thanks for the tip; I never would've guessed that something like that was possible, despite how obvious it is. =]
It works on lvl 9 CPUs and they get out of grabs really fast so id assume it work work on human players.

about your question on jab fakes or jab cancels (whatever theyr'e called). I think that A A to Dtilt and A A to Ftilt work the best. also you don't have to press shield after your jabs it just makes the last attack come out as soon as possible. I would suggest just practising the timing in traing mode, Its pretty easy to time.

Liquid_Kai?

Smash Apprentice
Really great guide, will help alot.

Really helped with those Supper Dedede jumps cancels because i was trying to use standard sheild jump cancels xD

Also good to see the Suicidedede included as this is a move i loved doing with Kirby in Melee haha

Thanks a bunch!

PS. Cant wait to see those in depth ways to beat certain charicters!

Binarin

Smash Rookie
Can't DDDs side B create items too? if I remember right, I once threw a final smash even tho items were turned off!

The Star King

Smash Hero
Very nice thread. Dedede is one of four potential future mains. You think Dedede's dash attack is fast? Waaaaaaaaaa?

I thought you should mention Ike's side+B into Inhale glitch. If Ike charges his side+B while Dedede is doing his inhale, and Ike releases, Dedede gets hit, but Ike goes flying a very long distance, usually off the stage, and usually results in a death. Example of this during a match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLdsXL6i5Ew
Done at the beggining to take Ike's first stock... This is very useful against Ike, as you can start your inhale if you see him charging his side+B.

Thought you should also mention Waddle Dee throw probabilities. Directly from the Dojo: The ratio for Waddle Dees, Waddle Doos, and Gordos is 35:10:4, respectively.

I disagree about the f-smash being useful when used randomly when expecting your opponent to attack, or predicting where your opponent is going to roll. You say that you mostly won't get punished because the opponent will stay away knowing that it is a powerhouse, but the also know it's extremely slow, and it's easy enough to spotdodge the smash, or roll behind, then punish severely. Using it to predict where the opponent will roll isn't very good either, because if you screw up, which is easy to do in prediction, it can give the opponent a free combo/KO. I say save it for edgeguarding, especially against characters like Snake, who have a very vulnerable recovery.

Btw, where are the KO percentages after the smashes? It would be nice to know things like when to stop an infinite throw on someone like Mario and do a b-throw for a KO. Don't really care about special move KO percentages to be honest, but someone else might.

CO18

Smash Hero
Very nice thread. Dedede is one of four potential future mains. You think Dedede's dash attack is fast? Waaaaaaaaaa?

I thought you should mention Ike's side+B into Inhale glitch. If Ike charges his side+B while Dedede is doing his inhale, and Ike releases, Dedede gets hit, but Ike goes flying a very long distance, usually off the stage, and usually results in a death. Example of this during a match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLdsXL6i5Ew
Done at the beggining to take Ike's first stock... This is very useful against Ike, as you can start your inhale if you see him charging his side+B.

Thought you should also mention Waddle Dee throw probabilities. Directly from the Dojo: The ratio for Waddle Dees, Waddle Doos, and Gordos is 35:10:4, respectively.

I disagree about the f-smash being useful when used randomly when expecting your opponent to attack, or predicting where your opponent is going to roll. You say that you mostly won't get punished because the opponent will stay away knowing that it is a powerhouse, but the also know it's extremely slow, and it's easy enough to spotdodge the smash, or roll behind, then punish severely. Using it to predict where the opponent will roll isn't very good either, because if you screw up, which is easy to do in prediction, it can give the opponent a free combo/KO. I say save it for edgeguarding, especially against characters like Snake, who have a very vulnerable recovery.

Btw, where are the KO percentages after the smashes? It would be nice to know things like when to stop an infinite throw on someone like Mario and do a b-throw for a KO. Don't really care about special move KO percentages to be honest, but someone else might.
I can add the general throw percentages, but throws are extremellllyy easy to DI and back throwing a fox even at like 160+% he can survive easily, I could add it though just for a general idea.
Fsmash is usefeul in those situations, it's just potentially a free kill at a really low percent, virtually noone is going to try to spot dodge dedede's fsmash because they know how powerful it is and even it did, Dtilt is extremely fast and comes out before majority of your opponents attacks so it's not easily punishable.
I'm not saying to spam fsmash or anything but it can easily change a match, anyway the best time to use it in genreal is when your opponent first grabs a ledge anyway.

I'll add the waddle dee throw percenegeas thx, didnt bother to do it before but I should.
And Ill just add the inhale glitch to the Ike matchup because it really doesnt deserve to be anywhere else.

Thx again.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I noticed something else in your guide. You said if you swallowcide in Sudden Death, you will win, but this is not always true. It depends on character slot. Player 1 > Player 2 > Player 3> Player 4. For example, if Player 4 swallowcides Player 2, Player 2 will win. I'm not completely sure, though. I currently don't have Brawl and can't test this out, but I saw someone post this somewhere...

Orb13

Smash Cadet
According to the new SBR standard rule list:
"Resolving Ties: Any games ending in time running out should always be decided by stock, and then percents. If percents are the same or both players die simultaneously, there will be a 1 stock overttime or the sudden death will be played out. The TO needs to decide which of these will be used before the tournament. Bowser's suicide klaw is exempt from this rule."
Bowser's suicide is exempt because it is directionally influenced or some **** like that.

CO18

Smash Hero
Yeah I need to add that stuff, sry, that was written along time ago like when the game first came out and before i knew about ports and stuff so ill make sure I change that.

Gates

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone know of any other set ups for the dash attack other than downthrow chasing.
You can also do it when they're getting up from the ledge. Basically, anytime you could use an fsmash you can dash attack.

Also, this is a good opportunity for a shameless plug to bring up the matchup thread I'm trying to get started.
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=192600
I'd really like to get it going, Any input would be fantastic.

WestCoastNinja

Smash Cadet
I have some info you should add to the waddle dee section. I just found out that you can tilt up or down while throwing to make them go a little higher/lower. Not very useful unless your opponent is small. Tilting the dee's downward might help hit that small target. Tilting up could lower the risk of accidently hitting your previous dee with a new one.

Red.Tide

Smash Cadet
"King Dedede is the only heavyweight character with amazing recovery."

This is inaccurate. Snake has an amazing recovery, and he is definitely a heavyweight.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
I think heavyweight in that context refers more just to Bowser, DK, and DDD. And you can also gimp Snake's recovery easily if you practice, so i wouldn't say its too good. I would say though, that ROB also has pretty good recovery. well, the guide was made along time ago lol...

hmm, a question. I remember reading a couple months ago that DDD actually couldn't CG Ike since Ike can jab out of it. Is this true, is it just a hard CG, or is it just that if the DDD messes up then jab is the best option ? or may be that part of ur guide is unupdated? (cus the matchup against Ike says that u can/should CG him).

CO18

Smash Hero
If you guys havent noticed, I havent updated this that much lol so ill make sure to change things whenever I update it once I have time.

I promise a massive update sometime soon.

Edit: Also No ike can't jab out of it. Noone can escape if your cg is frame perfect unless they simply can't be chaingrabbed like Mk or pikachu.

Storm_Fox

Smash Apprentice
Ive noticed that if your lucky King Dedede can throw a capsule instead of a waddle dee. Ive seen it a coyuple of times though but im not sure if anyone else has seen it if they could confirm it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom