• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Thank you... at my level estimates are enough to try and remember. Maybe I will eventually get character specific ones, and know different blast zones... but I can't try to learn to much at once... especially not with something that serves no purpose but entertainment.
Instead of estimates you can get the actual numbers from thus thread. It's a great starting point for new Rosalina mains.

http://smashboards.com/threads/rosalinas-complete-coverage-thread.366494

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Is Up smash or Forward smash a better KO move?
Also depends on stage. Lower ceilings like Delfino, smashville, etc Up Smash is better.

Places like Duck Hunt, Forward Smash will be better depending on which direction you're facing and how close you are to the side blast zones.

Edit: generally Up Smash will be a better kill option. But there are times to use Forward Smash.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
So I've been practicing Lunar Landing in the lab and while I'm getting better at the timing, I'm still not sure what the best followups are afterwards, especially at higher percents where they go flying too far for a dash grab or something. I'm mostly concerned with nair, fair, and bair, but I won't turn down suggestions for LL uair and dair.

All I've got right now is LL fair to usmash or upward angled fsmash, LL nair/bair to grab, or LL anything on shield to grab.

Last edited:

Boost4u

Smash Cadet
How to do lunar landing? I'm obviously not a rosaluma main, but I do know someone, and I want to give them advice without overwhelming them. LL looks simple enough.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
How to do lunar landing? I'm obviously not a rosaluma main, but I do know someone, and I want to give them advice without overwhelming them. LL looks simple enough.
It is actually simple enough.

The basis of it is this: Luma performs either a fair or bair while Rosalina is free to do whatever she wants.

The trick to performing a good LL is to input the Attack, just before Rosalina touches the ground.

A simple example: Short Hop -> Fast Fall -> Back Air. Input the back air just before touching the ground and Luma will perform the Back Air and Rosalina can do whatever she wants.

darkprizm47

Smash Rookie
NNID
darkprizm47

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
You can Lunar Land all Rosa's aerials I'm pretty sure. At the very least, I know it's possible to Lunar Land Nair and Dair.

Here's a video tutorial you can watch too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_9j9JULp8s
This is correct, although the window to successfully perform it varies per aerial. I don't have the Mastercore data in front of me, but if you feel like Googling for that, look up the frames at which Rosalina's aerials put her in an aerial landing lag state. As long as you land before that frame, you'll do a successful Lunar Landing.

That said, doing it in the lab is one thing and having the presence of mind to remember about it mid-match is another. I'm not quite there yet.

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
Yeah I used Lunar Landing bair a good amount and nair a bit, but I rarely use fair and I honestly don't think I've ever even attempted dair / uair during a match.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is correct, although the window to successfully perform it varies per aerial. I don't have the Mastercore data in front of me, but if you feel like Googling for that, look up the frames at which Rosalina's aerials put her in an aerial landing lag state. As long as you land before that frame, you'll do a successful Lunar Landing.

That said, doing it in the lab is one thing and having the presence of mind to remember about it mid-match is another. I'm not quite there yet.
It's all listed here on the Kuroganehammer website.
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Rosalina And Luma

Go to aerials and look at the last column.

Upair is the only one that can't be autocanceled before the hitbox. (It'd be pretty silly balance-wise if you could. Double upair autocanceled on the second one? Luma, plis.)

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
It's all listed here on the Kuroganehammer website.
http://kuroganehammer.com/Smash4/Rosalina And Luma

Go to aerials and look at the last column.

Upair is the only one that can't be autocanceled before the hitbox. (It'd be pretty silly balance-wise if you could. Double upair autocanceled on the second one? Luma, plis.)
I thought uair could still be done, it just required frame-perfect timing? Oh well, not a huge loss since Luma fair hits people straight up anyway.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
So secondaries... I probably shouldn't pick one up but I feel I need to switch up training once in a while in order to focus.

Who do you all think is the best option for a secondary?

Separate question: of the following, :4myfriends::4lucas::4falcon::4feroy::4link::4tlink: who do you think is the best option? (in case anyone is wondering where this came from I have been using Ike in Crazy Orders, mained Lucas in Brawl, used to Main Falcon, have a bit more experience with Roy than ret of cast, have a decent amount of brawl experience on link and toon link... so I \know them a tad better than the rest of the cast.)

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu, Luigi, Sheik (lol) and Mario are all good secondaries for Rosa. Of the ones you listed I'd suggest either Falcon or Roy... Rosa's already a zoning character so there's no reason to main two, really.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Sup Rosalina boards, I have one question:

Q: When Rosalina gets footstooled, is there anything Luma can do to intervene?

I've been trying for about 2 minutes, but I'm not a knowledgable RosaLuma player. I'm aware that Luma can intervene during the opponent's grabbing and pummeling, and some instances Rosalina is taking hitstun. I'm kinda working on footstool setups, but sorry in advance if this was already asked and answered.

Last edited:

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
What does one do against Rosalina's walls of auto cancelled aerials? I can't get in at all AND I'm forced to approach because Star and disjoints. Please help. I would sacrifice my little brother not to beat the best Rosalina player in the city (who happens to be the absolute uncontested best) but to just be able to get in AND DO THINGS. Send help. I play MK BTW.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
You play Meta Knight, which is arguably her worst match up.

For Meta Knight, you have to punish any and all mistakes in the neutral.

If you can take out Luma, it will be easy to get in, so focus on that.

A simple dash grab/attack to up air string combo to up B can kill her around 30%.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
I'm sorry. But if you don't have something useful, don't say anything at all. Thanks for trying to be helpful though. (Or whatever was the reason for you to say... That)

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry. But if you don't have something useful, don't say anything at all. Thanks for trying to be helpful though. (Or whatever was the reason for you to say... That)
Are you serious? Someone tries to help you and you respond like an asshole.

Sorry if you don't believe so, but he's right - Rosalina is very scared of MK, as once Luma dies there's a very strong chance for Meta Knight to get a KO very early. If you're losing to Rosa, it's because A. You're not focusing on hitting Luma away enough and B. You're not optimizing your punish game. Practice both of these things and Rosalina should become much easier.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Thanks. I'm sorry for being rude. I'm being walled from getting in by Luma's autocanceled aerials. Aerial approaches get stuffed by smashes that are safe because Luma and disjointed aerials. Dash attacking is not safe for me because he option select up smash me or anything else that is not any less cruel. I can't see anything for me to punish because autocancels are lagless and they are his main pressuring tools. Can you please tell me of a way to get past that wall?

Smasher89

Smash Lord
I think Dabuz seemed to destroy atleast one of the best MKs in the US, you might want to switch to Rosalina to be able to get an even shot.(or ask the mk boards)

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
I would switch to her or any other character that beats her (Sheik or Pikachu) but only 11 days remain for our city's biggest tournament to date (one that im proudly organising) and I don't think that's enough time to learn anyone else.

I'm good at comboing and I'm good at beating inferior Rosas who don't abuse the autocancels but I can't for the life of me find an opening. I have two approaches against all the other characters but none against Rosa.

This guy is a very good friend of mine and he himself while having few comments about my neutral does not know how I'm supposed to get in with my kit. And he plays a decent MK for fun.

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
Typical Meta Knight main... J/k.
Thanks. I'm sorry for being rude. I'm being walled from getting in by Luma's autocanceled aerials. Aerial approaches get stuffed by smashes that are safe because Luma and disjointed aerials. Dash attacking is not safe for me because he option select up smash me or anything else that is not any less cruel. I can't see anything for me to punish because autocancels are lagless and they are his main pressuring tools. Can you please tell me of a way to get past that wall?
Most characters never want to approach Rosalina with aerials, especially Meta Knight. Stay on the ground, only going to the air to avoid being hit. If he is using option selects, then you can force an opening.

Option selects work by triggering hit on shield or whiff on shield. If he is up smashing on option select, then space an attack that will trigger the up smash, but far enough away from it, the ending lag is plenty to punish.

Try to find ways to get rid of Luma, even if it means taking a smash attack. The 10-15% damage is worth it when you can tack on 30+ in combos and a possible kill.

Next, get the timing down of when Luma will reappear and try to land an attack to knock it away before Rosa can use him.

Got any videos? Maybe we can point out some openings.

Lastly, check out this thread:
http://smashboards.com/threads/rosalina-match-up-analysis-r2-meta-knight.414439/

Soma X

Smash Rookie
I've got a quick question, I see a lot of people make some negative remarks about rosaluma but I can't find anything about one of her biggest strengths, Hitting Luma puts you in Hitlag, Now maybe Its just because I main Robin (The levin sword increases Hitlag due to it being electric) but when ever I see her I know its gonna be tough, its such an odd thing that no other character has, a second hitbox, it makes it "feel" like its tougher to "cut" through her or something, Like your attacks are a little less effective. Its an extremely powerful passive buff so even noobs benefit from this effect as long as they don't just keep Luma shotting or something and I feel like its not touched on much.

So my question is does anyone know where I can find further reading on it? Complaining or otherwise?

honeclawshonedge

Smash Rookie
NNID
tom.braithwaite
What's the earliest KO you've ever got with Dair and on what character with what amount of rage?
I just KO'ed King Dedede (of all characters to not die early) AT 17% with only 24% of rage....

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
So who are the best people to watch to study this character?

Dabuzz I know... others?

Last edited:

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
I feel like I am hitting a wall in training mode stuff.

Worked on some of the easier low % Combos. (Fthrow -> Fair, Uthrow ->mash A, Uthrow _> U tilt -> Either another Utilt or Uair.)

Practicing the RAR -> Bair approach option.

Practicing this dang freaking frustrating recovery... (trying to get to point where I can recovery vertical without thinking about the thumbstick.)

And Lunar Landing.. why is this so hard for me?

But... not sure what else to be drilling when I don't have sparring partners around. (most of the time).

Any suggestions? I like this character quite a bit... (though I anticipate a major nerf come the 30th)... but not sure what I should work on... and struggling to stay motivated for the less than fun training mode.

Last edited:

Zonderion

Smash Ace
NNID
Zonderion
I feel like I am hitting a wall in training mode stuff.

Worked on some of the easier low % Combos. (Fthrow -> Fair, Uthrow ->mash A, Uthrow _> U tilt -> Either another Utilt or Uair.)

Practicing the RAR -> Bair approach option.

Practicing this dang freaking frustrating recovery... (trying to get to point where I can recovery vertical without thinking about the thumbstick.)

And Lunar Landing.. why is this so hard for me?

But... not sure what else to be drilling when I don't have sparring partners around. (most of the time).

Any suggestions? I like this character quite a bit... (though I anticipate a major nerf come the 30th)... but not sure what I should work on... and struggling to stay motivated for the less than fun training mode.
I wouldn't expect any nerfs. She is really well balanced and isn't causing a major uproar at tournaments. I think we'll get by this patch w/o any thing changing.

Practice practice practice those Lunar landings. They are probably one of the most used tool in her arsenal. Practice both normal fall speed and fast falling them. Practice from short hops to full hops. Practice landing them after performing an aerial, after air dodging.

Practice using Luma separate from Rosalina. It takes some getting used too, but those two separate can really dominate in stage control.

Practice Lunar Land bair to a dash grab. Even if they shield you can grab them out of it. If it hits you can still go for the dash grab or a dash attack.

Back throw to fair.

LL Nair to dash towards them, to pivot grab.

That's all I can think if for now.

Last edited:

alexthepony

Smash Apprentice
I have been having trouble against people who just short hop uses an aerial and pulls back in attempt to separate the luma and limit your options. Rosa is also very tall so that makes it more likely to get hit. often time the only time I can get in is when I dash attack. I tend to stand still and shield so this makes it more challenging.
The reason I made this a thread because I figured I may not be only person who has this issue. If anyone can help that would be great!

Bill cipher3

Smash Cadet
I have a few questions about Rosalina.

Question No. 1 What is zoning and how do I use it? I have no idea I wanna know because she is the " Zoning queen " after all

Question No. 2 This is off the Rosie subject but, how do you buffer a move? because I found a new tech and I think you have to buffer a attack to do it but idk

Question No. 3 Can I do a run short hop star bits and then Lunar land?

Question No. 4 How does Rosie play defensive? Is it by zoning?

Last edited:

Stromp

Legend
NNID
Stromp
There is a tech with rosalinas recovery. I think it causes her landing to have less lag. I saw it during a tournament a while back. No idea what it's called or how to do it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
I have a few questions about Rosalina.

Question No. 1 What is zoning and how do I use it? I have no idea I wanna know because she is the " Zoning queen " after all

Question No. 2 This is off the Rosie subject but, how do you buffer a move? because I found a new tech and I think you have to buffer a attack to do it but idk

Question No. 3 Can I do a run short hop star bits and then Lunar land?

Question No. 4 How does Rosie play defensive? Is it by zoning?
Zoning is another way of saying spacing. Basically, it's a strategy many characters can use in which they control the distance between them and their opponent. If applied correctly, your attacks should be able to hit them, but their attacks wouldn't hit you. Rosalina is very good at spacing as many of her moves have long lasting hitboxes, and allow her to move with active hitboxes (e.g. nair). So to properly zone, you just have to move your fighter around, but in such a way your opponent isn't able to attack you safely, but still allowing you to.

Have a look at this:

In most (all?) smash games, you give an input, and this input 'lasts' a number of frames (10 in Sm4sh). Basically, this means that by buffering an input, your fighter will react to the input as soon as possible (e.g. you baired to the ground, and are currently in landing lag. If you buffer a jab, the attack will come out as soon as Rosalina is out of landing lag, whereas if you waited until Rosalina was out of landing lag then jabbed, the jab would probably come out slower (but with perfect reflexes it wouldn't). So, to buffer an input, give that input when your fighter can't react to it, then your fighter will react ASAP, rather than depending on your reaction times.

Hm... not sure. I haven't tried it, but I imagine not, as Luma would probably still be attacking by the time Rosalina hit the ground. But don't quote me on it. Try it yourself!

I'm not too sure what you mean by defensive rosalina. If you mean SoRo, usually I just jump around, and stall for time till Luma comes back. Course, if I see an opportunity, I take it, so it kinda defensive. If you mean the particular style of playing Rosalina (e.g. Dabuz's) then yes, zoning is the way to go. Again, not too sure on this, but I believe Dabuz mostly zones so that he can pressure the opponent, threatening him, chipping away percentage, forcing them into action then punishing it. So, yeah, it's by zoning.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
As Rosalina, when I'm hit a large distance away from Luma and the opponent positions himself away from Luma but still along the line from Luma to me, what's the best way to make Luma stop panicking and fly towards me without doing something laggy enough to prevent me from making it attack as it moves? Obviously doing an aerial will start it moving, but it'll whiff and fly by without incident. Waiting around makes it take ages to start moving. Would an airdodge speed it up? Double jump? Something else?

Stromp

Legend
NNID
Stromp
Basically do an arial before you hit the ground

Top Bottom