• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

StellarNomad

Smash Rookie
Ah, that's just Luma's hit box starting low. It really isn't that special. Luma's Down air is generally more helpful for this sort of thing as well.
How I never thought of that eludes me. I'm more of a secluded Smasher, relying on instinct and skill I've built up. I've never met someone in real life who can beat me, but my FG winrate is only at 55%. I also have no access whatsoever to real tourneys, so there's that.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
Question! Does anyone here have any Jab Lock Setups with Rosalina and Luma?
And more specifically can the Poof from Luma Warp cause somebody to get forced into a Lock?
I've never played a smash game before that had this mechanic and it sounds like Awesome tech to have down but I really don't quite get how it works. I feel like it could be so promising for Rosalina Cuz a fully charged F-smash (presumably the sweet ender you'd go for after a successful lock) is so very powerful.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
The only one I could find: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guoksvQ_27o ( around 4:15 )

It seems to me that Rosalina isn't the strongest when it comes to getting the most out of a missed tech ( or in the case of the video, the untechable slide off platform ). Really, the mechanic is functionally similar to jab resets in Melee, unfortunately Rosalina's jab's one poor quality is it doesn't hit prone opponents so she's forced to be a bit more creative. I've never tried this setup myself, but according to the bit of footage in the video, the first hit of nair is light enough to force a standard getup on an opponent, giving you time for a guaranteed followup.

I'll let someone else answer the question on Luma warp. I really don't use customs too often. Anyway, the poof from the teleport already combos into smash attacks, does it really need to be more useful than that?

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
You can combo Luma Warp into F-smash sure. But if you could force an Opponent into a lock using Luma Warp and then charge that F-Smash up all the way as they get up, that could be the difference between a stock and not a stock.

Also I think learning some platform slide jab locking would be key. She's already so good on Battlefield and Lylat that it seems like tech worth exploring on those grounds alone.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Luma Warp can force locks, yes. Things like dtilt>Luma Warp on missed tech>fsmash are possible kill setups starting around 60%.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Luma Warp can force locks, yes. Things like dtilt>Luma Warp on missed tech>fsmash are possible kill setups starting around 60%.
im not actually sure thats true, ive tested it and it doesnt appear to work. though it looks like it works on cpus, it doesnt actually force a neutral standup. im not sure why it forces a standup on cpus.

on a side note: is anyone actually using autpcanceled luma nair in tournament yet? ive seen dabuz use a late nair to get a similar result but ive never seen him actually autocancel it, or anyone else. im finding it to be pretty hard to do in actual gameplay.

Last edited:

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
How would I go about confirming if this locks or not? I guess I need to try it out with human opponents. My impression is that the timing for a luma warp lock is pretty strict. The key to using this well is knowing when you got the lock timing down or not.
Let's say your opponent has ~50% and you dtilt into luma warp and your opponent misses the tech. If you time it right and get the lock you have time to fully charge a luma f-smash and you will get a kill on a lot of the cast. If you mistime the lock though and recognize it you can still combo the warp hitbox into uncharged f-smash. It won't kill but will have been a big play either way.

Also icraq, I am seeing (and doing) LL nairs in tournament play but not really seeing people cancel it on the perfect frame where Rosalina doesn't perform the nair animation at all.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
of course, lumas nair leads to some good stuff like dashattack so why wouldnt i be using autocanceled nair(but i guess im etting late nairs too), its like her fastest pressureoption if ive not missed something. More then anything, its a good pressuretool to use to use with good reaction, so the timing doesnt really matter that much as long as it hits the opponent and send them flying.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
How would I go about confirming if this locks or not? I guess I need to try it out with human opponents. My impression is that the timing for a luma warp lock is pretty strict. The key to using this well is knowing when you got the lock timing down or not.
Let's say your opponent has ~50% and you dtilt into luma warp and your opponent misses the tech. If you time it right and get the lock you have time to fully charge a luma f-smash and you will get a kill on a lot of the cast. If you mistime the lock though and recognize it you can still combo the warp hitbox into uncharged f-smash. It won't kill but will have been a big play either way.

Also icraq, I am seeing (and doing) LL nairs in tournament play but not really seeing people cancel it on the perfect frame where Rosalina doesn't perform the nair animation at all.
if you have the wii u ver set the opponent to control, rather than stop, even if you dont have a second controller, you'll notice they dont stand up. on 3ds theres no way to test outside of multiplayer.
@ S Smasher89 i wasnt suggesting its not an effective tool but the timing to do the true autocancel is so precise, i was just wondering if any competitive players had the timing down perfectly. i dont think i can achieve perfection with nair but autocancel fair and bair are becoming much more intertwined into my playstyle

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
im not actually sure thats true, ive tested it and it doesnt appear to work. though it looks like it works on cpus, it doesnt actually force a neutral standup. im not sure why it forces a standup on cpus.

on a side note: is anyone actually using autpcanceled luma nair in tournament yet? ive seen dabuz use a late nair to get a similar result but ive never seen him actually autocancel it, or anyone else. im finding it to be pretty hard to do in actual gameplay.
You need to hit with it earlier if it isn't forcing a getup.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
You need to hit with it earlier if it isn't forcing a getup.
ah yup my bad, was doing it too late, youre right. thank you! this may come in handy someday

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
Ghost4700 said:
I was at a tournament last sunday (april 26th) and lost to a falcon and ness and ended up 5th, I just didn't know how to deal with Falcon's rushdown once he got in and because I was constantly jumping, to space nair, bair, and lunar landed nair, fair or bair. My movement was quite static and I got punished because I was static while trying to space, then when I tried spacing with jabs I got crossed up and punished. Any advice on dealing with campy characters like ness and samus ( I believe Samus to be underrated) spacing and movement? (Because that's probably why the falcon beat me.)
anyone?

Last edited:

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
any tips on the angle of up special and spacing to go under the stage on battlefield? I can do it sometimes but not consistantly

LightningLuxray

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone! Does anyone have trouble with the Mario MU? I've heard it's quite easy, but I seem to struggle quite a bit with it D: It's usually very close (I can sometime pull through) but usually I end up losing due to the sheer amount of damage Mario can rack up on me. Mainly it's those up air strings - if I'm caught on a platform or off a throw, Mario can usually get up to 4-6 up airs on me due to Rosa's size, and a good portion of the time he can finish it off with an up b too. Most characters can break out with their fast nair, but Rosa's goes above her, and Luma either gets knocked away or never seems to hit... If I jump, I just get combo'd even more, and airdodging seems ineffective. How do I break out of these strings effectively? I also have trouble approaching in this MU in fear of his aerials. How do you guys like to approach Mario?

Thanks for all the help in advance n_n

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
Hey everyone! Does anyone have trouble with the Mario MU? I've heard it's quite easy, but I seem to struggle quite a bit with it D: It's usually very close (I can sometime pull through) but usually I end up losing due to the sheer amount of damage Mario can rack up on me. Mainly it's those up air strings - if I'm caught on a platform or off a throw, Mario can usually get up to 4-6 up airs on me due to Rosa's size, and a good portion of the time he can finish it off with an up b too. Most characters can break out with their fast nair, but Rosa's goes above her, and Luma either gets knocked away or never seems to hit... If I jump, I just get combo'd even more, and airdodging seems ineffective. How do I break out of these strings effectively? I also have trouble approaching in this MU in fear of his aerials. How do you guys like to approach Mario?

Thanks for all the help in advance n_n
I don't have personal experience with such a thing, but I can give suggestions. Have you tried bair? It's a rather quick move, especially with Luma. And perhaps midair jump -> dair?

any tips on the angle of up special and spacing to go under the stage on battlefield? I can do it sometimes but not consistantly
Usually I just walk off, midair jump whenever, then use normal up B (i.e. without tilting it in any way) when she appears in a magnifying glass/ when she begins to go off camera (not sure which one, both might work). Usually works for me on the omega stages, and I don't think battlefield would be that different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj.D

Smash Apprentice
How do you deal with characters who are overly aggressive and not afraid to jump in between Rosalina and Luma when together and hit you, even if they are slow? Or sometimes they have enough confidence and guts to run up to you and do a dash attack or grab while you have Luma around? I would think the main priority would be to try to get rid of Luma first.

I just feel like since I am using Rosalina, these players should be respecting my space when I have Luma around. It's like they don't care and are not afraid of me, even at the start of a match. I try to use up tilt , up Smash or up air when appropriate to punish those who jump in and that sometimes works, but other times it's not as effective, like maybe with heavy characters. Or I maybe use jabs, down tilt or star bits if they are right in front of me. These kinds of players seem to act like they know how to deal with me when we are just getting started. I have beaten plenty of aggressive players online, but there's a certain kind I am not sure if what I am describing is accurate. I got beaten by an overly aggressive Gannondorf the other day, which I feel shouldn't happen since Rosalina is better in just about every way.

Seriously, I find myself asking in these situations "Why do you want to be that close to me constantly while I have Luma? I am using Rosalina & Luma for gosh sakes!"

Am I suppose to improve my spacing with some of these characters? I do try to keep my distance when appropriate.

Last edited:

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
anyone care to share their training routine? ive been trying to do my autocanceled luma aerial training once a day for 30 minutes or so, focusing on fair and bair, mixing up fast falls and full hops. i try to do 15 in a row with no mistakes. fair is easy, bair i still make mistakes. just started practicing them by not watching rosa directly, setting fox to run and watching him, and ive found lylat and delfino to be good practice stages to work on angled landings.
i also just began working on perfect pivotting again, going left is easier, but i am not consistent at all perfect pivoting to the right.
occasionally i throw in some uthrow to uair practice, the timing is pretty strict at some percents to maintain a true combo.
what about everyone else? any tips?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
A thought that occurred to me.

Rosalina can pull in items and projectiles with Gravitational Pull, which makes her one of the few characters for which learning how to properly use item throw techniques is probably a good idea. That said, actually holding an item is (I think) pretty bad for her because it locks her out of making Luma do literally anything except specials. (And maybe rapid jab shenanigans while landing?)

Characters that can produce an item for Rosalina to attract, pick up, and throw:

Peach (Turnips)
Bowser Jr. (Mechakoopa)
Wario (Bike)
Diddy Kong (Banana Peel)
Link (Bombs)
Sheik (Grenades)
Toon Link (Bombs)
Robin (Discarded tomes and Levin Sword)
ROB (Gyro)
Villager (Loose timber)
Pac-Man (Fruit)
Mega Man (Metal Blade)

What is Rosalina's best option for utilizing the above items in their respective matchups? Some are probably best ignored (Wario's bike), some are impractical to bother with (Sheik's grenades), but some are likely important to get a handle on (Pac-Man's fruit). I'm at a bit of a loss.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
What is Rosalina's best option for utilizing the above items in their respective matchups? Some are probably best ignored (Wario's bike), some are impractical to bother with (Sheik's grenades), but some are likely important to get a handle on (Pac-Man's fruit). I'm at a bit of a loss.
Metal Blade throw at their shield into dash grab

Link bombs into combos, but it seems like a generally bad idea to downB link's bombs if they're far away and especially when recovering, though maybe someone else has a different input.

Leave gyro spinning on stage after downB for stage control

Delay Wario's bike from breaking so he can't use it in his recovery by repeatedly downBing

Just claim ownership of mechakoopa and let it run around for stage control

Everything else I dunno. Turnips are meh, unless it's a good one, but it's hilarious if you downB right when they throw it and it hits them in the face, not sure timber is worth it, bananas I usually just wanna destroy or downB to claim ownership and move around it

Some tomes seem important to grab from Robin but I don't know which. Nosferatu is the hard hitting one, so that seems important. I'm sure Pac-Man's fruit is important to use too but I don't know how.

DarkStraw

Smash Apprentice
I've been practicing with Rosalina lately and my brother plays Yoshi. Yoshi's Bair tends to be hard to get around.

SDMagic

Smash Rookie
Massive edit

Hey everyone, I think I found something cool but I need some help confirming if it really works or not.

If you get the back hit of a lunar landed Nair to connect you can jump while they're being pulled toward you and footstool them. Because the hit pulls them up and twoards you the footstool counts as if it was used on an aerial opponent which means an untechable knockdown.

Because I only have 3ds I can't quite test if there is any way after this to cause a forced getup. Just against the computer it seems like fastfalling and connecting the weak late hitbox of Dair could work, but because it's the computer I can't be sure. Could anyone please give this gimmick a test to see if forced getup combos with Rosa can really be a thing?

p.s. If this does become an AT it should be called the alley-oop (pass to dunk).

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Massive edit

Hey everyone, I think I found something cool but I need some help confirming if it really works or not.

If you get the back hit of a lunar landed Nair to connect you can jump while they're being pulled toward you and footstool them. Because the hit pulls them up and twoards you the footstool counts as if it was used on an aerial opponent which means an untechable knockdown.

Because I only have 3ds I can't quite test if there is any way after this to cause a forced getup. Just against the computer it seems like fastfalling and connecting the weak late hitbox of Dair could work, but because it's the computer I can't be sure. Could anyone please give this gimmick a test to see if forced getup combos with Rosa can really be a thing?

p.s. If this does become an AT it should be called the alley-oop (pass to dunk).
Well, what are usual ways to cause forced get-ups? If you can tell me that, I could try to find a way to test.

SDMagic

Smash Rookie
Usually jabs or light tilts. I ended up being able to rope a friend into helping me test it online and it seems like the footstool itself sends you too high to get any true follow-ups. Oh well, at least I found out you can still just do the luma hit and follow up with a Dair or an Uair to start some pressure.

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
So the more I play Rosa the more I realize that LL Bair is the craziest most versatile move.
If you connect an LL Bair that knocks the opponent off the stage you can combo into luma warp into F-smash on some of the floatier members of the cast. I've true combo'd a Kirby into death at 40% !!!!
Doesn't work on characters that fall faster. You can get warp to combo but they'll be below Luma. Still quite exciting stuff.

Eternal Blue Syaoran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueEternal
Hey Rosalina thread... another question..
Whats the best way to return to the stage when being juggled? (or just when hit up and they are waiting your descent.)
I used to airdodge in brawl but this game got it's landing lag.... I generally try to time a good down air but if they shield it I'm screwed.
any suggestions..?
I'm entering my first tournament offline tomorrow (hopefully) and trying to step up my game a bit.

Thank you Parcheesy by the way for the info on rolling. I try to use down smash but I swear they just roll a second time and avoid me all together and it turns into my chasing them. But I'll mess with it more later.
I swear I can do good against regular/good players, but the odd ones who roll a lot and overall play lackluster are the ones that get to me..

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
If you're playing against an opponent who does "dumb " things a lot and by dumb I mean unsafe just keep letting them do unsafe things and stand your ground (don't get hit or be unsafe yourself). If their baseline play is unsafe things, wait till they get antsy. Then they'll be doing even unsafer things and you'll find yourself in a good spot.

As for landing with Rosa the summary is its straight up hard. If you're on a stage with platforms try to mix up where you're going to be. Fall through the platform or not etc. If you're on a flat stage Dair is a super good but situational option. Sure you have a move that's disjoint and high priority but its slow. And at low percents you'll still be unsafe on hit. Also where's Luma. If Luma is in a position to hit your opponent it may be worth throwing out an aerial. But also if that doesn't work then Rosa is left flailing like an idiot with her long recovery aerials and you'll probably get punished harder as a result.

Airdodge isn't a bad option if your opponent jumps up to meet you or does a really obvious move with high recovery but yeah you have to be confident in your read. Also it may be beneficial to just do a yolo Up-B to a ledge. Make sure you fast fall as quickly as you can though and it not advisable against characters with great footspeed.

Eternal Blue Syaoran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueEternal
If you're playing against an opponent who does "dumb " things a lot and by dumb I mean unsafe just keep letting them do unsafe things and stand your ground (don't get hit or be unsafe yourself). If their baseline play is unsafe things, wait till they get antsy. Then they'll be doing even unsafer things and you'll find yourself in a good spot.

As for landing with Rosa the summary is its straight up hard. If you're on a stage with platforms try to mix up where you're going to be. Fall through the platform or not etc. If you're on a flat stage Dair is a super good but situational option. Sure you have a move that's disjoint and high priority but its slow. And at low percents you'll still be unsafe on hit. Also where's Luma. If Luma is in a position to hit your opponent it may be worth throwing out an aerial. But also if that doesn't work then Rosa is left flailing like an idiot with her long recovery aerials and you'll probably get punished harder as a result.

Airdodge isn't a bad option if your opponent jumps up to meet you or does a really obvious move with high recovery but yeah you have to be confident in your read. Also it may be beneficial to just do a yolo Up-B to a ledge. Make sure you fast fall as quickly as you can though and it not advisable against characters with great footspeed.
This is all for glory issues I have. I do better offline but don't have too many people offline to fight. Generally the landing issue is against fast characters who don't come into the air and wait on the ground. I'm hoping these issues will only affect me in for glory and not at the tournament. Thanks for the advice. As for lame players its for glory still. Dont want to sound stupid but lag may be most the cause of my issues..

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Some custom set I just made on my own: Luma Warp, Floaty Star Bits, Guarding Luma, Default Launch Star. Would this be a horrible idea?

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
who`s a good doubles partner for rosa? Also, anyone know any cool strategies for her?

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
who`s a good doubles partner for rosa? Also, anyone know any cool strategies for her?
Rosa + Rosa is fun.

As for cool strategies, most of those revolve around using her down special to carry or curve powerful projectiles into hitting when they shouldn't. For example, with Villager's tree you could jump a fair distance while having the giant powerful hitbox circling around you ( Perhaps giving him enough time to pocket it? Not sure ). Other than that, sending Luma out can apply quite a bit of stage pressure if you manage to keep it alive, and the ability to combo the hell out of an opponent skyrockets when there are three separate entities for them to avoid. Finally, the desynched Luma Spin is at its best in doubles where the hitbox is harder to avoid, and finding time to use a Smash attack to break it is much more punishable.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Hey Rosalina thread... another question..
Whats the best way to return to the stage when being juggled? (or just when hit up and they are waiting your descent.)
I used to airdodge in brawl but this game got it's landing lag.... I generally try to time a good down air but if they shield it I'm screwed.
Well down airing isn't always going to help you either since that also has landing lag. In fact, maybe even more so. Better things you can do also including spacing nairs.

Rosa + Rosa is fun.
I disagree with this. Due to Friendly fire, it is waaay too easy to hit Lumas or get hit by Lumas. Doing double the luma trouble can be problematic.

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Well down airing isn't always going to help you either since that also has landing lag. In fact, maybe even more so. Better things you can do also including spacing nairs.

I disagree with this. Due to Friendly fire, it is waaay too easy to hit Lumas or get hit by Lumas. Doing double the luma trouble can be problematic.
For the last point, if the lumas are busy in spin jab, then there's no problem. Having to spin jab desyncs= double the stage control and an even harder time for the opponent. If I could find a doubles partner who plays rosa proficiently, I'd choose that as as our main pairing, maybe a villager in there BC villager has great synergy with her (in my opinion).

Rizen

Smash Legend
Hi. Are there any pictures of Rosalina's actual hitbubbles? Her reach keeps surprising me.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Hi. Are there any pictures of Rosalina's actual hitbubbles? Her reach keeps surprising me.
I don't think so yet. Are there any particular moves that surprise you? I could try to help you understand them better.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Hey, I said it was fun, not good. And yes, on paper it looks like it would be twice as bad for Luma, but in practice, you're playing with another player who fully understands Luma hitboxes, and hopefully has a better sense of their environment due to playing a puppet character. While it would be twice as easy to accidentally remove your own Lumas from the stage, there's no doubles partner I'd trust more to keep my Luma safe.

I really want to see the hitboxes for her dash attack. I'm used to it now, but the hitbox is insanely bigger than the animation, and seeing it in black and white would be neat.

Top Bottom