• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

Nd_KakaKhakis

Smash Apprentice
ROB is a matchup I just had some good tournament experience against.
ROB's projectiles are both telegraphed enough that you can gravitational pull them. Plus If you gravitational pull a ROBs gyro and don't pick it up it will cause damage to ROB but not to yourself.
So in some sense you can judo flip ROBs best stage control tool. Also as soon as you see that Robot Head **** Back to fire the laser you can absorb it unless you've commited to some other sort of action. So if you discourage Gyro and Laser then all of a sudden the burden is on Rob to approach and you're in Rosalina's comfort zone.

Besides that you should really stay grounded against Rob and use your fast and long range moves like F-tilt and d-tilt, punish landings with Up-smashes and try and get free damage when ROB is off-stage. His standard recovery is very linear and makes ROB prone to eating Fairs and Dairs depending on if they try and recover high or low. Plus he doesn't have any buttons to challenge Rosalina Up-Air Pressure if you're up in his face and applying it well.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Around which % is upthrow double upair generally guarantied?, and also when does that set up for kills?

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
Since my topic was marked for locking, I'll transcript it here.

Luma & Rosalina (and I refuse to write Rosalina & Luma) is by far my worst matchup in this game. I mean, I'm aware I make some bad mistakes (I have difficulties to stop rolling and spot dodging too much, I spam smash attacks a lot and I have a hard time trying to establish a solid neutral game) but Luma & Rosalina is still a character that manages to piss me off every time I fight one, I hate how Luma is always on my way even when I get a clear punish window, how Luma can attack even when Rosalina is stunned, anyway, getting Luma outta the way is so worksome that I have a hard time to even pay attention to Rosalina's direct attacks.

Any tips to how to deal with Luma & Rosalina are welcome. I currently main Mario, also play as Palutena, Yoshi, Pac-Man, Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario. Recommending an effective counter character is welcome too.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Aside from Dabuz, who else is worth watching for gaining a feel for the Rosaluma at high levels?
I'd look up Falln. He's got a very cool way of playing the character that differs from Dabuz quite a bit. Learning from him should give you a better idea of the different ways she can be played successfully.

Since my topic was marked for locking, I'll transcript it here.

Luma & Rosalina (and I refuse to write Rosalina & Luma) is by far my worst matchup in this game. I mean, I'm aware I make some bad mistakes (I have difficulties to stop rolling and spot dodging too much, I spam smash attacks a lot and I have a hard time trying to establish a solid neutral game) but Luma & Rosalina is still a character that manages to piss me off every time I fight one, I hate how Luma is always on my way even when I get a clear punish window, how Luma can attack even when Rosalina is stunned, anyway, getting Luma outta the way is so worksome that I have a hard time to even pay attention to Rosalina's direct attacks.

Any tips to how to deal with Luma & Rosalina are welcome. I currently main Mario, also play as Palutena, Yoshi, Pac-Man, Bowser Jr. and Dr. Mario. Recommending an effective counter character is welcome too.
I really get where you're coming from. I try to make it out to as many local tournaments I can, and whether I win or lose, my opponent often expresses how frustrating this character is to play against. Whether they're playing defensive or not, a large amount of Rosa's kit is designed to win if she meets an opponent's attack head on ( disjoint + two separate hitboxes ), so when she wins, she tends to win hard. Try to play around her hitboxes, and attack from angles she's not currently covering, and be as unpredictable as possible.

As Mario, you really shouldn't complain about not being able to kill Luma, as he has one of the best tools for taking it out via back throw. Once the combo breaker is dead, you should have no problem juggling her for quite a bit with up airs, as her down air comes out remarkably slow. If the Rosa is being aggressive in the air, note than his up smash has invincibility on the head, so you should win outright as long as you know the Rosa is dedicated to going in.

Yoshi has a decent matchup as well ( You should read the MU thread's discussion for Yoshi and Mario while you're here, there were some good discussions for these characters ). Yoshi has a very strong engage with his great dash attack, and egg toss. His top notch aerial mobility also lets him stick to Rosalina, making walling him out difficult. His frame data in general just makes him a nuisance once you understand all of Rosa's available tricks.

Was there anything else in particular you wanted addressed? I'd love to help you understand the character better any way I can.

Super FOG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FOG2006
3DS FC
4253-3752-2801
This helped a lot, thank you :D

I started to play as Yoshi precisely to have a match for Rosalina, I'll read the matchup discussions and try to apply the tips in trainning.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I started to play as Yoshi precisely to have a match for Rosalina, I'll read the matchup discussions and try to apply the tips in trainning.
Keep note, however, that the match-up discussion periods that took place before the 1.0.6 update may be outdated now.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Does anyone know how to deal with duck hunt, his projectiles annnoy me so much.
Perfect shielding and Gravitational pull will certainly help a lot.

Gravitational pull will make all his projectiles useless.

Perfect shielding is when you press the shield button right when you get hit by an attack. You won't lose shield damage and you can act out almost immediately.

Important point of Gravitational pull. Don't spam it and don't use it when you are right up against the opponent. Gravatational pull has horrendous endlag so be careful or the opponent can just run up and hit you.

Ryoth

Smash Rookie
Entire aerial game aside of Uair and Bair. I often misunderstand my defensive/ofensive options and can't make good use of Nair/Fair and Bair.
Which ones should I choose them and when?

Last edited:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Entire aerial game aside of Uair and Bair. I often misunderstand my defensive/ofensive options and can't make good use of Nair/Fair and Bair.
I'm sorry, can you rephrase this? I can't really understand what you both saying and asking.

But from what I gathered, you want to know what aerials to use?

Quite simple.

First off, rarely or never use Fair. There are very few situational uses it has. It has too much landing lag in addition to meh hit box that makes it kinda useless.

Bair is good for approaching. Doing RAR will allow you to quickly turn around to use your back air.

Nair is also good for approaching but is mainly a spacing tool. You kinda just want to throw it out. Especially with Luma. Only really start it close to the opponent if you have Luma to back you up and offer a front hit box.

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
Fair actually does have uses. While it's true it has immense lag, I sometimes use it to get up from the ledge, often surprising my opponent with its large reach. But an even better use is during LL (Lunar Landings).
Bair can also be used as a LL. Luma's bair has the longest lasting hitboxes, so I throw it out sometimes when calling him back. Also, it's quite quick, and overall a decent move. RAR, as suggested above, is also a valid option.
Nair is basically a spacing tool. I usually use it to approach, but sometimes also to recover horizontally sometimes. It's odd animation also lets you dodge attacks using it as well, and it's usually quite safe, especially with Luma.

Here's a guide if you want more details: http://smashboards.com/guides/the-stellar-waltzing-duo-rosalina-luma.64/
You probably just want the part describing the aerials. There's a section on LL too in the AT sections.

Last edited:

Ryoth

Smash Rookie
My apologies, I have some issues expressing myself in a non-native language (rather than read). Both answers clarified my doubts, thanks @ CatRaccoonBL CatRaccoonBL and @ RosalinaSGS RosalinaSGS !

Last edited:

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
Question of the day: What are good secondary characters to pair with Rosalina n Luma I can never figure out what are good to pair with her

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
Question of the day: What are good secondary characters to pair with Rosalina n Luma I can never figure out what are good to pair with her
Probably just play whoever else you like. Otherwise, if you're determined to have a statistical advantage, probably have a look at who you/Rosaluma is bad against, and learn their worst matchups.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
That depends on who you want to deal with and how much you are willing to change your playstyle.

It is important to note Rosalina can handle herself decently on her own. I wouldn't say you need a secondary but there are characters that help with match-ups Rosalina is disadvantage in.

The character that will probably help you out the most is luigi. Luigi is good against character like Diddy Kong, Sheik and Fox. All characters that give Rosalina problems. The problem is he is a completely different playstyle from Rosalina, so you will have to learn to play differently.

The other two characters are MegaMan and Olimar. They really only help with Diddy, but that is described as her hardest match-up. However they also are closer to Rosalina playstyle.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
Around which % is upthrow double upair generally guarantied?, and also when does that set up for kills?
I've been thinking about figuring this out and kind of making a personal flowchart for myself to use..
Anyways, uthrow to double uair is never guaranteed. It can be DI'd out of. It's also hard to do on most characters in general, a lot of them are able to get out of the second uair.

Uthrow to uair varies character by character, ranging from 30% to 50%. One of the hardest characters I've found to land it is on Yoshi, his is very timing specific to get a true combo in training mode. It's also impossible to land a second uair after to uthrow on him and maintaining the true combo. He's just too floaty, which means he gets sent higher, and he's a heavyweight so he suffers from less hitstun.

In contrast, Mewtwo is extremely easy to do it on starting at 40% in training mode. You can easily do a 5 hit combo (one from the throw, two from each uair if Luma is included), totaling 35 dmg.

Anyways, my general rule of thumb has been if they're floaty, at 40% there's a good chance to land one uair after the uthrow.

Fast fallers are around 30%.

YMMV on the double uair after uthrow.

lolreconlol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
boatv2
3DS FC
1934-1192-2911
What custom moveset does Dabuz use? Just watched him absolutely destroy Will.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
If I remember correctly it is:
Up-B: LaunchStar Plus
Side-b: shooting star bits
Down-b: Gravitational pull
Neutral-b: Luma Warp

He might have Guardian Luma for down-b, but didn't see the match you were talking about. I just know he regularly uses those moves.

lolreconlol

Smash Journeyman
NNID
boatv2
3DS FC
1934-1192-2911
If I remember correctly it is:
Up-B: LaunchStar Plus
Side-b: shooting star bits
Down-b: Gravitational pull
Neutral-b: Luma Warp

He might have Guardian Luma for down-b, but didn't see the match you were talking about. I just know he regularly uses those moves.
Towards the end of this video if you're interested - http://www.twitch.tv/teamsp00ky/b/653810322 But i'll check out that setup. Thanks! Too bad you can't use customs on FG..

GHOST4700

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MeatloafLP794
I was at a tournament last sunday and lost to a falcon and ness and ended up 5th, I just didn't know how to deal with Falcon's rushdown once he got in and because I was constantly jumping, to space nair, bair, and lunar landed nair, fair or bair. My movement was quite static and I got punished because I was static while trying to space, then when I tried spacing with jabs I got crossed up and punished. Any advice on dealing with campy characters like ness and samus ( I believe Samus to be underrated) spacing and movement? (Because that's probably why the falcon beat me.)

Eternal Blue Syaoran

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BlueEternal
Not sure if I missed it or something but....
What are the best/preferred options you can do as Rosalina and Luma to deal with people who constantly roll?
I personally find myself having issues punishing and dealing with it. Maybe I'm a little too aggressive.
Any tips or ideas would greatly help. (whether it be for Rosalina and Luma or in general)

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Not sure if I missed it or something but....
What are the best/preferred options you can do as Rosalina and Luma to deal with people who constantly roll?
I personally find myself having issues punishing and dealing with it. Maybe I'm a little too aggressive.
Any tips or ideas would greatly help. (whether it be for Rosalina and Luma or in general)
I know it's probably an obvious answer that you would get just about anywhere but...down smash. Rosalina and Luma have a very good down smash ( especially when paired together ); it's quick, relatively low cooldown, and when paired, covers both sides simultaneously, and then again a moment later.

Other than that, her dash attack is particularly good for catching rolls if you're the aggressive type. If you expect a roll, just time the dash attack earlier or later depending if you expect a roll in or away. The fact that hit has two separate rounds of hitboxes means you've got a much better chance of hitting their vulnerable frames near the end of a roll.

The one thing I'd say to avoid if you're facing a roll-happy opponent is approaching with aerials. Her nair is a good on-shield approach, but it's usually countered by a roll in. Keep your options open by approaching with either a delayed / early dash attack, or run to shield if you intend to down smash.

Oh, and keep being an aggressive Rosalina. Studies show we have 29% more fun than a passive Rosalina. ^^

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
In the video you gave us, he used 231-
(Luma Warp, Shooting Star Bit, Launch Star (usual); I didn't really see his Down B, but you probably shouldn't use it too much anyway. None of the DownB options are good against DK.)

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
been playing around with jab a bit lately and I've been trying to figure out what exactly initiates the spinning repeating jab.

it isn't the speed of pressing A A A, if you press A A A too fast you'll just do Jab 1, Jab 2 and AAAA doesn't seem to do it, it seems like it's AAAAA, is that correct?

Something that supports the spinning jab theory being AAAAA is if you do an A, A, A, then try to do another Jab 1 2 3 you'll get spinning jab even if you stop at the second Jab 2. So A A A A A seems like, if pressed within a close enough time frame to one another, you'll always get the spin after a Jab 2. It's requires slower inputs it seems to continuously do a regular Jab 1 2 3, 1 2 3, but you can mash A A A out pretty quick for the regular 1 2 3.

Something I've been wondering too is about IASA frames, Jab 1, 2 crouch makes it easy to go back into the 1, 2 again, but would it be just as fast to Jab 1, 2, dash grab without crouching?

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
been playing around with jab a bit lately and I've been trying to figure out what exactly initiates the spinning repeating jab.

it isn't the speed of pressing A A A, if you press A A A too fast you'll just do Jab 1, Jab 2 and AAAA doesn't seem to do it, it seems like it's AAAAA, is that correct?

Something that supports the spinning jab theory being AAAAA is if you do an A, A, A, then try to do another Jab 1 2 3 you'll get spinning jab even if you stop at the second Jab 2. So A A A A A seems like, if pressed within a close enough time frame to one another, you'll always get the spin after a Jab 2. It's requires slower inputs it seems to continuously do a regular Jab 1 2 3, 1 2 3, but you can mash A A A out pretty quick for the regular 1 2 3.

Something I've been wondering too is about IASA frames, Jab 1, 2 crouch makes it easy to go back into the 1, 2 again, but would it be just as fast to Jab 1, 2, dash grab without crouching?
I doubt it's just how many times A's pressed, but also how frequently it is pressed, like Marth's side B. If you press it too slowly, it will probably go jab, jab, jab... but pressing it too quickly won't let the three separate A's register. I think you just need 3 A's, but they need to be timed appropriately and can't be pressed too quickly.

icraq

Smash Lord
NNID
McJesusCrucifry
3DS FC
0662-2567-7986
I doubt it's just how many times A's pressed, but also how frequently it is pressed, like Marth's side B. If you press it too slowly, it will probably go jab, jab, jab... but pressing it too quickly won't let the three separate A's register. I think you just need 3 A's, but they need to be timed appropriately and can't be pressed too quickly.
I disagree, just because that was my first theory but I disproved it testing in game.

Just standing in a neutral state, press A 3 times in any different timing, you either get Jab 1, 2, then nothing from pressing too quickly, or Jab 1 2 3, or just a series of Jab 1's because your timing is too slow.

I'm wrong about something though, it's actually able to be initiated with AAAA pressed quickly. I should've tested that more thoroughly. I'm just not exactly sure why it always triggers after you do another set of jabs too quickly after the first.

Last edited:

Mr.Sile

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Dorvillo
I wanted to receive some critique on my Rosalina play. I'm still subpar but I want to get better? Should I make a new thread or go to the Rosalina social?

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
I disagree, just because that was my first theory but I disproved it testing in game.

Just standing in a neutral state, press A 3 times in any different timing, you either get Jab 1, 2, then nothing from pressing too quickly, or Jab 1 2 3, or just a series of Jab 1's because your timing is too slow.

I'm wrong about something though, it's actually able to be initiated with AAAA pressed quickly. I should've tested that more thoroughly. I'm just not exactly sure why it always triggers after you do another set of jabs too quickly after the first.
Oh, then maybe it's the same thing, but with 4 A's? Have you tried pressing AAAA really quickly (i.e. at a pace at which you got jab 1, jab 2 nothing?) Maybe 3A's is delegated to the jab combo, and only the fourth will trigger Luma Spin.

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
any tips on punishing air dodges with rosalina? often after i do an up throw, and jump in the air, people will air dodge my up air right away. I noticed people making habits of this and tried to bait out the air dodge but jumping into the air and waiting for it. I usually wait for the air dodge and then go for the up air, but that rarely seems to work for me.

When people air dodge do you often pick another option? or is it probably something like my timing not being fast enough to punish, or poor spacing?

StellarNomad

Smash Rookie
Hey, anyone notice Luma's usmash having a hitbox that can hit people before they grab the ledge, but while Luma's still onstage? I think I pulled it off against Falcon and Lucario in two matches last night. I saved the replays, but I don't have software to share them. Can anyone confirm this? I imagine it could get pretty useful

DisidisiD

Smash Journeyman
Hey, anyone notice Luma's usmash having a hitbox that can hit people before they grab the ledge, but while Luma's still onstage? I think I pulled it off against Falcon and Lucario in two matches last night. I saved the replays, but I don't have software to share them. Can anyone confirm this? I imagine it could get pretty useful
Can you video tape the matches with your phone/device and put it on YouTube? I'm confused on what exactly this is.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Of course, although not just yet. I don't have my 3DS or phone with me :p
Before I make a judgement, I want to see just how far away from the ledge Luma is.

With that said, there is one thing about ledge snapping. There is like a single frame where the opponent is vulnerable before the invincibility kicks in. Very useful, especially with things like Luma's down-air.

StellarNomad

Smash Rookie
Before I make a judgement, I want to see just how far away from the ledge Luma is.

With that said, there is one thing about ledge snapping. There is like a single frame where the opponent is vulnerable before the invincibility kicks in. Very useful, especially with things like Luma's down-air.
Oh, yes, I went back into the replay and then I started playing with Falcon's ledge-snapping. It works awkwardly. I figured he'd just gone above the ledge and caught the usmash. However, I think I uploaded it to a YouTube channel I made. Hold on while I check.

https://youtu.be/VPfOMamb90c should be it

Last edited by a moderator:

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
Oh, yes, I went back into the replay and then I started playing with Falcon's ledge-snapping. It works awkwardly. I figured he'd just gone above the ledge and caught the usmash. However, I think I uploaded it to a YouTube channel I made. Hold on while I check.

https://youtu.be/VPfOMamb90c should be it
Ah, that's just Luma's hit box starting low. It really isn't that special. Luma's Down air is generally more helpful for this sort of thing as well.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
That, and Falcon's arm reaches straight up during his upB, which extends his hurtbox. It's hard to tell in the video but it looked like his arm was reaching above the ledge when he got hit.

Top Bottom