• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I haven't personally checked that. Some other people mentioned it and I checked nair to verify so I assume it's true, but I can't say that it applies to everything with 100% certainty.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I haven't personally checked that. Some other people mentioned it and I checked nair to verify so I assume it's true, but I can't say that it applies to everything with 100% certainty.
Because it starts one frame later, does that also mean the hitbox ends one frame later?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
My understanding of it is that Luma simply has a 1 frame delay before it reacts, the data is otherwise accurate.

Checked a few more moves ingame; Luma's tilts and jab are indeed delayed a frame.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Luma's fastest options are 2f(technically 3f) utilt/uair/nair.

I never know if I should refer to Luma's frame data by the raw values, or include the 1f delay. The latter makes more sense to me but I always feel like someone's going to question the numbers not matching the data dumps.
Wow, even Luma has stuff faster than its jab. That's...really weird.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Wow, even Luma has stuff faster than its jab. That's...really weird.
Eh, it's not that rare of a thing. Palutena's jab is slower than her dash attack and nair, and Dedede's jab is slower than his utilt dtilt and nair, to give some examples.
---
Not sure if this would be better suited to a matchup thread, but what are Rosalina's options against Sonic's spindash? It seems to be surprisingly high priority (last Sonic I fought clanked Luma's fsmash with it), and it might just be due to wifi lag but it seems hard if not impossible to punish with usmash OoS before he can just upB away.

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Eh, it's not that rare of a thing. Palutena's jab is slower than her dash attack and nair, and Dedede's jab is slower than his utilt dtilt and nair, to give some examples.
---
Not sure if this would be better suited to a matchup thread, but what are Rosalina's options against Sonic's spindash? It seems to be surprisingly high priority (last Sonic I fought clanked Luma's fsmash with it), and it might just be due to wifi lag but it seems hard if not impossible to punish with usmash OoS before he can just upB away.
On FG I've found that Star Bits works if they're predictable with the timing and don't go for fakeouts. Both customs will probably work better because...yeah.

Maybe SH aerials? IDK, I have no idea when Sonic is vulnerable during half his moves.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I play primarily with customs, so I just use shooting star bits to deal with Sonic's shenanigans. :X

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Rosalina's utilt and usmash both have head invincibility.

Attack | Active Frames | Partial invincibility frames
Utilt | 9-17f | 4-11f
Usmash | 8-16f | 7-16f

Mrawesome48

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Mrawesome48
So I've been learning how to play Rosalina. I've been using her jab and people says it's safe and effective but 9/10 times the opponent is able to escape before luma finishes the final hit. I'm also having trouble getting back down to the stage. I'm knocked up into the air and it feels like it's near impossible to get back to the stage unless i go for the ledge.

Drizz

Smash Rookie
NNID
itzdrizzt
So. Rosalina vs. Sonic. How do I deal with sonic's constant Down/Side B's? Grabs fail unless I catch him while turning around (rare). Shielding is an option, but Luma is going to get killed that way. I've also tried timing up/forward smashes both alone and with Luma present, but I get beat out. Punishing it these moves are also a complete pain in the ass because lol2fast. I've heard star bits only works against an uncharged spin dash so that's out (have not confirmed though). Are there any tools in my arsenal that out-prioritize that move? Is there an effective way to punish this move after it's over and before Sonic can spring, roll, run, or whatever to safety?

EDIT: I kind of glossed over Lavani's post because I saw Palutena speak, but I guess I still listed what I tried here.

Last edited:

Vermillion

Smash Rookie
What are some good spacing options for Rosalina ? Is shorthop -> fair / bair a solid strategy, a bit like Zero Suit can throw nairs ?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
What are some good spacing options for Rosalina ? Is shorthop -> fair / bair a solid strategy, a bit like Zero Suit can throw nairs ?
Fair has a lot of landing lag so it's punishable on shield or whiff. If you do hit, you can get some interesting followups, but the risk is very high. Nair is better, not sure about bair.

What you can also do is input an aerial just before landing. If you do it right, Rosalina will land before the attack even comes out and can act immediately, but Luma will still do its version.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
To my knowledge, the only Luma attacks with explicit invincibility are full charge Luma Shot, the teleport on Luma Warp (duh), and Guardian Luma.

Luma's pretty janky in general though, I see stuff like this happen and still have no idea why, especially because it doesn't even seem consistent.

bmaster77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bobatapioca
Ahh ok thanks for the heads up. What in the world just happened with that sticky bomb LOL

Rango the Mercenary

The Mercenary
3DS FC
2320-6400-7280
I'm learning Rosalina and having trouble with a number of things.

1) Recovery. I try to Up B in a neutral, vertical direction. She only recovers the way she faces, causing her to Up B away from the stage and just barely be out of ledge-clipping range. She can't go straight up like Pit, so it's hurting my recoveyr.

2) Range. If I don't have the Luma, characters like Bowser significantly out-range me. Even when I try to play defense and use more Neutral A jabs, most attacks go right through it. Same for her Smashes.

3) Juggling. Players are good at avoiding my Uairs.

4) Aerials. I don't see how good Rosalina players can Nair/Fair all day without taking damage. People tend to get right under me or punish upon the attack's end.

She has a steeper learning curve than I suspected, especially given how many people play as her. Anything I'm missing, including basics?

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'm learning Rosalina and having trouble with a number of things.

1) Recovery. I try to Up B in a neutral, vertical direction. She only recovers the way she faces, causing her to Up B away from the stage and just barely be out of ledge-clipping range. She can't go straight up like Pit, so it's hurting my recoveyr.

2) Range. If I don't have the Luma, characters like Bowser significantly out-range me. Even when I try to play defense and use more Neutral A jabs, most attacks go right through it. Same for her Smashes.

3) Juggling. Players are good at avoiding my Uairs.

4) Aerials. I don't see how good Rosalina players can Nair/Fair all day without taking damage. People tend to get right under me or punish upon the attack's end.

She has a steeper learning curve than I suspected, especially given how many people play as her. Anything I'm missing, including basics?
1. Angling Launch Star is simultaneously simple and tricky. In order to angle it forward, simply press forward once you input the move. Rosalina should launch at a lower angle and fly the length of Final Destination. (It's weird how exact it is. Try it in training mode.) Super simple. Angling it up is harder because you need to press backwards once you input the move, but if you do it too fast then you'll perform a B-Reverse and end up turning Rosalina around entirely. This tends to kill the Rosalina if done while recovering, for obvious reasons. Practice the timing in training mode, with the speed turned down at first if it helps.

For reference, this custom stage shows the different ways Rosalina can angle Launch Star. By using the move from center stage, she can reach the left ledge of all 3 platforms.

2. Your tilts and nair are good spacing tools even when Luma is absent. It's true that you're more vulnerable in general without it, so definitely be careful, but you can make do for the 13 seconds it takes to come back.

3. Are they airdodging or using moves like Monkey Flip to change their momentum? You can bait an airdodge by jumping at them but simply delaying the aerial until after the airdodge ends.

4. Nair lasts for days and the hitbox can catch people by surprise since it sticks around a little bit after the sparkle effect ends. (I think.) It's a good spacing tool, and if Luma is attached it covers the area immediately in front of you on startup. Fair can lead into interesting followups if you land before the last hit comes out, but the landing lag is punishable if you miss or hit a shield. It's also a possible followup from dthrow but alert players can airdodge it at any percent.

KarToon

Smash Rookie
Anyone have any tips for landing on the stage from above while Lumaless? I know many of her aerial options are not good lumaless, so i try not to challenge my opponents from above. I tend to weave while hovering, double jump away/over my opponent, and air dodge when I read an attack. However, many characters will do a dash attack or running up smash right before I can hit the ground to block or spot dodge and send me in the air again. I find it weird since I air dodge right before hitting the ground when my opponents go for this continuously, but I still end up being hit once I hit the ground.

Could online lag be why I am not timing my air doges correctly or is it due to some kind of landing lag from an air doge done close to the ground? Either way, I find it hard to land on the platform again when people are sharking me. Any tips?

Last edited:

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
Hey guys, I'm always looking for tips on how to improve my Rosalina, and I have a question about her Jab attack.

First off, how do you cancel it properly? I've also been told how effective it is as a spacing/anti-roll move, yet I ALWAYS have opponents roll towards me during her Jab animation some how bypassing all the hitboxes completely (Hers AND Lumas), end up behind me and then punish me while Rosa is still stuck in the ending of her Jab animation.
I'm assuming that I'm not utilizing her Jab correctly, so what should I do to make it more safe/effective?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Hey guys, I'm always looking for tips on how to improve my Rosalina, and I have a question about her Jab attack.

First off, how do you cancel it properly? I've also been told how effective it is as a spacing/anti-roll move, yet I ALWAYS have opponents roll towards me during her Jab animation some how bypassing all the hitboxes completely (Hers AND Lumas), end up behind me and then punish me while Rosa is still stuck in the ending of her Jab animation.
I'm assuming that I'm not utilizing her Jab correctly, so what should I do to make it more safe/effective?
Two things to consider:
  1. Spacing. If you position Luma slightly away from you (quick example, doing a jab1>jab2 string), your opponent can't roll past Luma's jab without rolling into Rosalina's jab. Without Luma spaced, your opponent is free to roll behind you and pass both jabs.
  2. Timing. Rosalina's jab1 and jab2 each take a bit over 2/3 the time a roll takes to complete (something like 22f and 25f FAFs, off the top of my head). If you start the next jab in the sequence after they start the roll, you can be punished. If you jab before the roll and don't do anything after, you can shield/run/ftilt/whatever before the roll ends (Mac might be an exception).
There aren't really any secrets to it, you just need to be aware of where Luma is and what your opponent is doing, and act accordingly. Knowing how far your opponent's forward roll goes is good to know too, as well as what their options are for going past or over Luma.

Last edited:

Aurora Sparkle

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aurora-Sparkle
Two things to consider:
  1. Spacing. If you position Luma slightly away from you (quick example, doing a jab1>jab2 string), your opponent can't roll past Luma's jab without rolling into Rosalina's jab. Without Luma spaced, your opponent is free to roll behind you and pass both jabs.
  2. Timing. Rosalina's jab1 and jab2 each take a bit over 2/3 the time a roll takes to complete (something like 22f and 25f FAFs, off the top of my head). If you start the next jab in the sequence after they start the roll, you can be punished. If you jab before the roll and don't do anything after, you can shield/run/ftilt/whatever before the roll ends (Mac might be an exception).
There aren't really any secrets to it, you just need to be aware of where Luma is and what your opponent is doing, and act accordingly. Knowing how far your opponent's forward roll goes is good to know too, as well as what their options are for going past or over Luma.
Thank you, I'll try to practice with these tips in mind. :)

Neos

Smash Cadet
Anyone know where I can find pictures of Rosalina and Luma's hitboxes? or will anyone post them soon?

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
Question of the Day for me.

I tend to hop onto training anytime before playing the game so my question is what should I be practicing on or um work on.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Question of the Day for me.

I tend to hop onto training anytime before playing the game so my question is what should I be practicing on or um work on.
( I love questions of the day )
I'd say if you want to be a very technical Rosalina, practice doing perfect auto canceled aerials ( using an aerial just before hitting the ground, causing luma to perform the attack, without putting Rosalina into landing lag ). Once you get the hang of the timing, make sure to practice on different stages, with different amounts of fast falling. If you ever perfect that skill, you can start using it in strings, or as a spacing tool without ever leaving Rosalina vulnerable. Super safe, and you'll have people claiming how OP you are in no time.

After that, I'd argue her second most valuable skill is boost grabbing. Simply input a dash attack, immediately followed by a grab. Done right, you should hear the sound of Luma's dash attack connecting, and you will do 3% before you even start pummeling. The fact that it actually extends her normal dash grab is just gravy.

Last edited:

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
After that, I'd argue her second most valuable skill is boost grabbing. Simply input a dash attack, immediately followed by a grab. Done right, you should hear the sound of Luma's dash attack connecting, and you will do 3% before you even start pummeling. The fact that it actually extends her normal dash grab is just gravy.
On the Boost Grab I will most of the time get a smash attack rather than the desired motion is there like a super specific timing to itbecause i get it honestly once every 6 tries otherwise ill get a simple dash attack as well :/

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
It's a pretty tight window, probably only a few frames or so. I use the shield grab input, so I more or less double tap A, pressing my shield button in between, but you can do it with the grab button as well by pressing them back to back without any delay. It'll take a bit, but having the Luma pave the way for every grab attempt is something you'll love.

ActionShot

Smash Cadet
NNID
Actionshot35
Hi guys! I've begun learning Rosalina and Luma, but I feel like I'm missing something huge. Everyone says that nair is a great spacing tool. I understand why it's a good move, but I don't seem to understand it's application in spacing. I think the move starting above/behind her throws me off. I'm sorry if its a really dumb question but...

Can someone please explain to me why nair is good for spacing and how I should use it? Thank you!

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Hi guys! I've begun learning Rosalina and Luma, but I feel like I'm missing something huge. Everyone says that nair is a great spacing tool. I understand why it's a good move, but I don't seem to understand it's application in spacing. I think the move starting above/behind her throws me off. I'm sorry if its a really dumb question but...

Can someone please explain to me why nair is good for spacing and how I should use it? Thank you!
This is how I use nair:

Start it far enough away that the opponent cannot hit me while the hitbox is above me, then drift in and poke their shield from the maximum distance. From there, you can either go in for a grab, or continue attacking depending on how you expect them to react. The one way to punish this is for them to charge forward while the nair is still swinging around, and attempt to challenge it from below. The reason nair is such a good spacing tool is because it's not much of a commitment; if you expect they'll charge forward, you simply drift back, and that great forward hitbox bonks them on the head before they can get to you. It limits their options, and gives them an incentive not to go in, slowing the game down in Rosalina's favor.

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
When is luma spin desynched a viable technique? It seems to require rather specific circumstances but doesn't actually provide any particular benefits.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Yeah, it's generally very annoying to set up. So in order to use it effectively, you need to seize an opportunity, rather than plan for it ahead, which adds to the annoyance. As for the Luma itself, it kinda becomes a pseudo banana to be avoided by your opponent, with some mild upsides beyond that ( Hitting them into / out of it, hitting them once it starts recalling, etc ). Overall, I'd say it's a fun technique to use if you want to bother, but you're not really hurting yourself by never using it.

Most importantly, it's incredibly stylish. So if you value humiliating your opponent, or generally pleasing the crowd, it's worth picking up for the laughs.

DanGR

BRoomer
BRoomer
I have in my notes that the invincibility is from 7-17 on upsmash and 4-12 on uptilt. @ Lavani Lavani , you're saying it ends one frame earlier. Is that correct? Just making sure.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
I have in my notes that the invincibility is from 7-17 on upsmash and 4-12 on uptilt. @ Lavani Lavani , you're saying it ends one frame earlier. Is that correct? Just making sure.
Right. The intangibility ends on frame 17 and frame 12 respectively, so intangibility lasts until 16/11.

Ingoro

Smash Ace
NNID
Ingoro
Guys, I'm looking for some tips on how to properly edge guard. I often play against a Yoshi but he keeps me at bay with egg tosses when I try to set up jabs at the edges. When I come to close to go in for a Usmash he drops ledge and dairs into the stage which causes too much pressure.
I'm also struggling against a DDD, how to edge guard him properly?

RosalinaSGS

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2062-9707-3637
I've noticed many people describing a ff fair combo using the knockback of previous hitboxes. But I'm not actually sure how to apply it. Do I just ff close to the ground and use fair or do I ff while doing fair? If the latter, how am I supposed to time it? My fairs usually finish long before I hit the ground.

Top Bottom