• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A The Rosalina Q&A Thread

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
So I'm gonna assume that the meteor effect doesn't happen till the rings begins to drop down M&S?
In a nutshell, yes. The spacing is a bit tricky to nail down, I suggest setting a training dummy to "Jump" and experimenting. Send Luma away for this, his own hitbox can interfere if you're not careful.

Last edited:

StarGalaxy777

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StarGalaxy
Pretty sure you hear this alot but "Sorry for all the questions.":c

I'm also looking for Tournament vids of Rosalina's so I can follow and root for said person I hear the name Dabuz pop up alot but I'm not sure if there are any other notable players outside of him that run the Default setup of Rosalina'

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
What are some desynch options for rosalina? Nuetral-B obviously works, and I know jab separates them. Anything else?
Use nair, fair, or bair just before landing. (Uair and dair might work too but I've had limited success. Nair is best overall for this purpose IMO anyway.) Rosalina will land and autocancel without any hitboxes coming out and is free to move right away. Luma, however, will still do the attack. If they're linked together, you can dash, roll, etc. and basically have a moving hitbox around you. This gives you shield pressure, mixups, and true combos into dash attack, smashes, and grab. Not really a good approach since you have to do an empty SH at the very least and that telegraphs your intent, but it's an option.

Using side B while in the air holds Luma in place while Rosalina keeps going, and you can use another move right after to keep it there. It'll fly back to you as soon as it's able, though.

Last edited:

bmaster77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bobatapioca
Any tips vs Bowser Jr. just fought a good one for the 1st time last night in For Glory and I had no idea how to deal with his cart... it felt a lot like Sonic's spin dashes in the sense that i felt i had to just shield most of the time.

It seems that his cart also has superarmor but bowser jr himself is vulnerable. the problem with that is i guess i felt one of my best options was to angle an upwards Fsmash to hit him. But then he can start jump canceling his cart and doing more shenanigans.. :[

Any tips are welcome! thanks!

Yams Everywhere

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-1934-0304
Any tips vs Bowser Jr. just fought a good one for the 1st time last night in For Glory and I had no idea how to deal with his cart... it felt a lot like Sonic's spin dashes in the sense that i felt i had to just shield most of the time.

It seems that his cart also has superarmor but bowser jr himself is vulnerable. the problem with that is i guess i felt one of my best options was to angle an upwards Fsmash to hit him. But then he can start jump canceling his cart and doing more shenanigans.. :[

Any tips are welcome! thanks!
A short hop nair should do just fine as long as luma is with you. You could also go for the pivot grab to catch him off guard.

Vonzar the Soulrender

4th Dimensional Horror
Is there any way to wake luma up and retrieve him when he gets knocked off the stage? He always just falls to his death and I have to just sit and watch.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Hey there, I'm not a Rosaluma main but I do have questions about them. What moves can the generally be punished on? I main big guys like DK and Bowser so I get knocked around a lot by the character. What are their biggest exploits?

D

Deleted member 269706

Hey there, I'm not a Rosaluma main but I do have questions about them. What moves can the generally be punished on? I main big guys like DK and Bowser so I get knocked around a lot by the character. What are their biggest exploits?
When I'm playing Rosaluma against someone like Bowser or DK, I generally jump around and hit with aerials, or at least try to zone the opponent, and keep them at a certain distance. I also like to juggle them with her Uair to keep them from returning back to the ground very easily. Big fighters like the ones you mentioned are also pretty easy to combo out of throws, so be careful not to get caught in a grab, especially at low percents, though that's not too hard because her grab range is pretty weak, though she can do a pretty quick boost grab, so be weary of that. Her smash attacks and tilts are also really fast, so make sure to watch yourself! Hope this helps a little, good luck to ya!

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Smash attacks in general, although dsmash is iffy depending on spacing and timing. Fair and dair have oodles of landing lag. The rest of her aerials also have punish windows but you need to be on point to take advantage, preferably by powershielding. Her specials can also be punished if you avoid Luma since most of them don't actually produce a hitbox around Rosalina herself. (And the ones that do are rarely used customs.)

AL3Xxs

Smash Cadet
NNID
AL3Xxs
3DS FC
1762-2852-8466
Hi guys! I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice. I got slaughtered by a really good sheik and what gave me the most trouble was her needles. either I or luma got hit and if I used gravitational pull, I got grabbed lol. What this sheik player did was either keep her distance and spam needles, and when luma was gone, she would juggle me the whole match. And it was really effective haha at least on me.

Zionaze

Smash Ace
Hello yall~ my friend who i smash with and mains rosalina sometimes complains that rosalina has inferior aerial game but is this true? Or is my friend just not gud :V
(i play Falco and Shiek)

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Hello yall~ my friend who i smash with and mains rosalina sometimes complains that rosalina has inferior aerial game but is this true? Or is my friend just not gud :V
(i play Falco and Shiek)
He's just not that good. It's true that Rosalina lacks a fast GTFO aerial, but Luma can help fill in that gap depending on the situation. All of her aerials are useful.

Last edited:

Keytrun

Smash Cadet
NNID
Keytrun
3DS FC
1908-0553-7302
I'm trying to get better with rosalina. I've been trying to focus more on nairing and lunar landing. I'm good with the nairing but not sure when I shoukd RAR nair instead of forward facing nair. Also, for lunar landing - do many of you use it constantly or jus occasionally? Do you do it every time you land?

I've been watching Dabuz play some and notice that he never throws luma to another part of the stage. He always has her teathered. Isn't one of the best aspects of rosalina the ability to control more of the stage? What about those sandwich combos where rosalina kicks the opponent to Luma back and forth? Why doesn't dabuz use any of this? Does he even just hit neutral b for a quick projectile?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

KassandraNova

Smash Master
3DS FC
4167-5079-1850
I'm having a lot of trouble vs Shiek, and Yoshi. Any advice for fighting these characters? Or any videos of top players playing these match ups?

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
@ CRDLumatech CRDLumatech
Hey. I am starting to use Rosaluma and I have a lot of questions.
What type of game play style should I use??
What are her weak points?
What should I never do with her?
And finally what are her worst match ups.
I am new to this and I want to be a really good rosalina. I used to main with kirby but I find her really really cool. It would be awsome if someone could help me
Hi there, welcome to Smash boards and the Rosalina forums.

- Rosalina is a character on an extremely short list that has the luxury of being able to choose her gameplay style with a reasonable amount of success. You can either play defensive, and react according to your opponent, you can rush the opponent down with lagless Luma aerials and safe shield pokes, or you can send Luma out and attempt to wall them out entirely. It all depends on what works best for you, and what works best against your opponent.

- Well, she loses quite a bit of her moveset when Luma dies. Other than that, several of her aerials are slow to startup, so she's prone to getting juggled and harassed in the air ( especially without Luma ).

- I'm sure there's a huge list of things not to do with her, but frankly most of her moves are useful. I'd say the least useful one that you shouldn't rely on too much is Starbits ( side b ), but even that is a fairly useful tool in the right situation.

- Yoshi and Diddy aren't great, but even her worst matchups aren't as bad as some other characters have it.

How do u get past a pit or dark pit that spams the arm?
- If you ever have a question on how to punish a move, set a lv 9 Rosalina CPU, and spam the move against them. They tend to not get hit by the same move over and over again. I went ahead and tested it, and the most common counter seems to be rolling in ( behind Pit ), or shield > up smash. Both seem reasonably good, so try a mix of both.

Last edited:

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
Yea I was also thinking the same thing. Her nair seems to just out prioritize any of my options in the air. When trying to space with ftilt and dtilt on the ground, luma is just in the way. Before I would just throw out the arm, but that just gives rosalina a free punish of whatever she likes. And she is also one of the only characters that can gimp pit. So does anyone have any advice on this MU. She is one of the hardest if not the hardest character I have played. Also I cant gimp her with arrow due to gravitational pull.
So this is what I said. Im a pit player and I am having a lot of trouble facing rosalina. You guys have any tips to make the MU easier. Thanks

Last edited:

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
First off, if you ever want to sit down one day and practice the matchup with me over Skype or something, let me know. I love doing intricate matchup testing with people that are interested in it, and I could really use some Pit practice myself.

- Nair: It's similar to Diddy's side b, in that you generally want to challenge it from the ground, unless you can get into position to punish it way ahead of time. I'd recommend trying Up smash ( Dashing in, then jump canceling to get under her ), or dash back > pivot forward smash. I'm not sure which works better, but give both a try; Rosalina's air mobility is decent, but you can usually tell when she's committing to the nair way before it hits.

- Luma: Not sure if you're versed in both Pits, but I'd argue that Dark Pit is better at killing Luma, and Pit is better at killing Rosalina ( Reason being that the vertical knockback on side b kills Rosalina off the top, whereas Luma just needs to be nudged off the side and hitting it up only delays it for a few seconds ). If the Rosalina is devoted to only poking you with Luma, simply stand a bit further back and aim your attacks towards Luma; the extra space should keep you pretty safe, and killing the star bit truly isn't that hard.

- Gimping: Yeah, arrows are going to do nothing 99% of the time when she's returning to the stage. I'd highly recommend getting comfortable chasing her deep offstage, as Pit has one of the few recoveries that can stand toe-to-toe with Rosalina's. If the stage is hollow underneath, using an aerial to knock her under is almost always a guaranteed stock.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
What's up with Luma's hurtboxes during attacks?

I don't know if it's partial invincibility or weirdly located hurtboxes or some other bizarre property, but I always found Luma interacting with trades inconsistently so I went to look into it in training today and found that, aside from ftilt and dtilt, all of Luma's attacks can melee a Gooey Bomb and not get hit at certain positions. Oddly, even when he's closer to the explosion than Rosalina is, I've had instances where Rosalina is hit and Luma is unscathed:

But, I've also had instances where Luma does get hit, so I'm not sure what to think. I think the gif shows well enough that it isn't just disjoint though.

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Yeah...I don't know. A thread popped up a while back questioning how Luma priority works, and the boards kinda just shrugged, and then it fell into disuse. It seems that when Luma loses a trade, it just gets parried rather than hit, but only certain of its moves have the property, and sometimes it doesn't work? It's going to take someone with an attention span far greater than mine to sit down and find out exactly how it works. Sorry I couldn't answer your question...

SirPsychoMantis

Smash Apprentice
I've been watching some videos and I see almost no use of Rosalina's specials, except the occasional Down B to eat a projectile. It seems like Neutral B could be a good spacing tool (place Luma on the edge and do an arial with Rosalina to edge guard or something). Meanwhile the Side B seems pretty useless, has anyone tried experimenting with these or is everyone just riding the Nair train?

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Neutral b isn't used often because you're betting your Luma's life that the attack will hit, and you'll have enough time to recall it before it's picked off ( I can't confirm it, but it feels like Luma goes into tumble easier when it's untethered ). The recall animation is also deceptively long, so the potential punish usually isn't worth the risk.

Side b is the same deal. The move comes out fairly slow, and any amount of flinching from your Luma leaves Rosalina waving her want around pointlessly for a few moments. It does get bonus points for being a good spacing tool against opponents who get relatively close to your Luma without nearing its melee range.

Generally, they're 'okay' moves, but when Rosalina has so many safer options, people tend to shy away from the risk. You're not going to be the town laughingstock for using them though, so if you like using them, keep doing it.

bmaster77

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bobatapioca
Does Rosalina have a move that can hit during the 1-frame vulnerability before people grab the ledge similar to fox's dsmash? I've seen some people do luma's dair but it doesn't seem too reliable

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Does Rosalina have a move that can hit during the 1-frame vulnerability before people grab the ledge similar to fox's dsmash? I've seen some people do luma's dair but it doesn't seem too reliable
Theoretically any move that covers the ledge in the first place can do it with proper timing. That's basically every Luma aerial (although uair is a bad option for obvious reasons), probably Rosalina's nair/bair/dair, and maybe a downward angled Luma fsmash for your best options. Star Bits and Floaty Star Bits may also cause a bit of mayhem if properly placed.

Last edited:

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
(Only Luma's?) down-angled fsmash and I think Rosalina's dsmash can hit during ledgesnap.

If you've got the time for it you can put Luma in front of the ledge and hit with any of its moves though.

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
at what point did rosa start not being one of the best in the game? from what i see she's still pretty damn good, so why am i seeing tier lists with her not in top 10?

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
at what point did rosa start not being one of the best in the game? from what i see she's still pretty damn good, so why am i seeing tier lists with her not in top 10?
It likely has to do with her playstyle being different from that of the other fighters. From what I can recall, a lot of competitive players prefer to use the more aggressive fighters, such as Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy Kong, and Greninja.

SirPulse

Smash Cadet
NNID
SirPulse
3DS FC
0490-6309-5461
It likely has to do with her playstyle being different from that of the other fighters. From what I can recall, a lot of competitive players prefer to use the more aggressive fighters, such as Sheik, Zero Suit Samus, Diddy Kong, and Greninja.
i can understand the lack of representation, not an easy character either

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
i can understand the lack of representation, not an easy character either
If you're trying to take advantage of the Luma, it can be quite understandable why the competitive players tend to look away from Rosalina. After all, the Luma typically KOs things quicker than Rosalina, and trying to keep it safe is easier said than done against certain fighters.

Ironically, Rosalina is one of the easier newcomers to pick up when you compare her to Robin, Greninja, and Wii Fit Trainer.

KarToon

Smash Rookie
Hello new friends! :D

New here, so I'm not 100% sure were to put this, but where could I find Match Up help for RosaLuma? I see there is a MU discussion thread stickied, but I'm looking for help in a MU that isn't being currently discussed (vs. ROB). I'll make sure I'm in the right place before I get into detail about my problems with this MU. Thanks in advance!

(Mods, if this needs to be moved feel free to do so/point me in the right direction.)

KarToon

Smash Rookie
@ Mario & Sonic Guy Mario & Sonic Guy Okay! Thanks for the tips, I'll go look into the ROB subforum.

btw, does anyone know how to make Fair Spike into the ground so that you can follow up with D-Smash/Angled F-Smash? Is it like Greninja's Uair spike where you need to fast fall the first few hitboxes of it? I get it randomly sometimes, but I think it would be a useful tool to use if my opponent isn't expecting it and thus doesn't tech the spike.

Sora66

Smash Cadet
NNID
Sora66
First off, if you ever want to sit down one day and practice the matchup with me over Skype or something, let me know. I love doing intricate matchup testing with people that are interested in it, and I could really use some Pit practice myself.

- Nair: It's similar to Diddy's side b, in that you generally want to challenge it from the ground, unless you can get into position to punish it way ahead of time. I'd recommend trying Up smash ( Dashing in, then jump canceling to get under her ), or dash back > pivot forward smash. I'm not sure which works better, but give both a try; Rosalina's air mobility is decent, but you can usually tell when she's committing to the nair way before it hits.

- Luma: Not sure if you're versed in both Pits, but I'd argue that Dark Pit is better at killing Luma, and Pit is better at killing Rosalina ( Reason being that the vertical knockback on side b kills Rosalina off the top, whereas Luma just needs to be nudged off the side and hitting it up only delays it for a few seconds ). If the Rosalina is devoted to only poking you with Luma, simply stand a bit further back and aim your attacks towards Luma; the extra space should keep you pretty safe, and killing the star bit truly isn't that hard.

- Gimping: Yeah, arrows are going to do nothing 99% of the time when she's returning to the stage. I'd highly recommend getting comfortable chasing her deep offstage, as Pit has one of the few recoveries that can stand toe-to-toe with Rosalina's. If the stage is hollow underneath, using an aerial to knock her under is almost always a guaranteed stock.
Hey sorry for the late reply :/ lol. Im down to some sets with you. Gotta learn the match up, but playing with high level players will be a challenge and will be fun. Anytime you want to battle just lemme know :D

Parcheesy

Smash Ace
NNID
Large-tree
3DS FC
4656-7185-5694
Can someone confirm if this is truly guaranteed? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ldo5r_5JG8

I've been trying and I feel you can easily airdodge out of it
Pretty sure the title is misleading, and it's not truly guaranteed. I remember reading some giant grab release thread somewhere, and it showed that the only true combo from grab release is Marth's Up B.

That said, I'm quite the fan of throwing in grab releases on occasion when the Luma is spaced from Rosalina like that. Nothing is guaranteed, but having the opponent surrounded means you can generally get a punish if you read their option. If the opponent air dodges without a jump, you can just charge the up smash until they hit the ground. If they jump and air dodge, you can juggle them. If they roll, they're either going to end up next to Rosalina or Luma. If they attack...hopefully you have the quicker attack option.

This is far from standard practice, and I don't want to mislead you into doing something wrong. Just try it for yourself and judge whether the potential grab release punish ( with the maximum amount of pummels ) is worth losing the throw damage and potential edgeguard.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Pretty sure the title is misleading, and it's not truly guaranteed. I remember reading some giant grab release thread somewhere, and it showed that the only true combo from grab release is Marth's Up B.

That said, I'm quite the fan of throwing in grab releases on occasion when the Luma is spaced from Rosalina like that. Nothing is guaranteed, but having the opponent surrounded means you can generally get a punish if you read their option. If the opponent air dodges without a jump, you can just charge the up smash until they hit the ground. If they jump and air dodge, you can juggle them. If they roll, they're either going to end up next to Rosalina or Luma. If they attack...hopefully you have the quicker attack option.

This is far from standard practice, and I don't want to mislead you into doing something wrong. Just try it for yourself and judge whether the potential grab release punish ( with the maximum amount of pummels ) is worth losing the throw damage and potential edgeguard.
Rosalina's fastest option is dtilt at 5 frames. IDK about Luma.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Luma's fastest options are 2f(technically 3f) utilt/uair/nair.

I never know if I should refer to Luma's frame data by the raw values, or include the 1f delay. The latter makes more sense to me but I always feel like someone's going to question the numbers not matching the data dumps.

Last edited:
Top Bottom