• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

Heartstring

Smash Legend
my personall favourite gtfo option is oos dsmash. however on better players that doesnt work too well
tbh, im not all that good at dealnig with aggro players eithers
go aggro back i spose lol

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Alright, thank you for your responses. I hope I can manage that MU, because I'm really scared even though she's my secondary. Xd

Heartstring

Smash Legend
do sheik dittos then!
srsly, its ironic how one of the most susceptable people to her ftilt chain is sheik herself XD

Heartstring

Smash Legend
lol, i keep attempting to pick up secondaries, but i get ruined when i dont use rob, so i jsut use him for everyone...even mk

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I have the exact opposite. I never use Rob in tourneys >_>
For the next tourney, I am going Puff wooooot.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
why are you still here then XD
you kinda need to be part of the advancing (slowly) metagame to be able to contribute stuff

-LzR-

Smash Hero
What? I play Rob... What are you talking about... I just don't use him in tournament play as I have other more important characters for that.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
and therefore not a part of the advancing metagame XD
if we were going to roll with that, we could say im part of the metagame for mk, snake, wario, kirby, sheik, dedede etc.
im not, as we can see

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I used R.O.B. for the PAX tourney. Then I went up against MK and decided to use DK, and ended up losing, thus placing me 3rd. In hindsight, I probably should have went with R.O.B., but I don't think it would've made that much of a difference. Of course, I'm an MK main now, but I'll still use R.O.B. when I can.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Just because I don't use him in tourney level but pretty much everywhere else for about 3 years now means my argument is invalid. What a nice board we have here.

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Nowadays? What did I do D:
Don't remember specifics but you had some hardcore pessimism before. This was months ago lol

Missed it early but disappointed to see you convert to MK soldi... ROB doesn't lose that MU as hard as is popularly believed either.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
R.O.B. loses to Meta Knight way too hard, I rather meet a pro King Dedede than a decent Meta Knight.

Sol Diviner; why did you change main? One year more and we aren't going to have any R.O.B. mainers left... =/
How can R.O.B. rise in the next Tier List when no one represents him anymore?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
If Rob is to fall, someone else must raise to gain his spot. None of the characters around him have done anything either.
And gl facing Skinutski in Tampora, wants to make you play against MK all day.
And I have b eat all Mk I have faced so far, but not a single dedede.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Missed it early but disappointed to see you convert to MK soldi... ROB doesn't lose that MU as hard as is popularly believed either.
I know, and I've beaten my fair share of MKs with R.O.B., though I still need an actual pro MK player to really test my R.O.B.. I know I sort of ninja'd MK as my main. .___.

Sol Diviner; why did you change main? One year more and we aren't going to have any R.O.B. mainers left... =/
How can R.O.B. rise in the next Tier List when no one represents him anymore?
I was experimenting with various other characters, including Meta Knight. While using Meta Knight, his playstyle seemed really fun, as I can just "do stuff" and still be able to win. I guess that's what I found to be appealing. Don't think I will stop playing R.O.B. though.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
okay, straight up, r.o.b is better than my ike in certain critical matchups for this country. but ike is much more fun to play as.
so im going back to maining him, i have a few character that i need rob for (in the form of fox and ice climbers) but i play this game for fun, not for money ^.^

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Yes, and it has always been bad for R.O.B. no matter what...

xzx

Smash Lord
Hi guys, I just wanna discuss the R.O.B. vs Olimar MU and ratio for a bit. Okay, let's begin.
The MU is of course in ROB's favour, but let's take a look how bad it actually is...

The first thing that comes to my mind is ROB's ground game: his ultra fast tilts, his gyro, his jab and his (annoying) dsmash. These things completely shuts down the *** out of Olimar. I mean, come on... Olimar can't even grab ROB because of ROB's dtilt disturbing the grab (most of the time). Second, the gyro spinning on the ground (or the gyro itself) prevents Olimar's aproach game (and it kills Pikmin/knock them off way to easily), and the jab and dsmash have great frame data, meaning that Olimar has a hard time to find an opening. Especially the dsmash. It sweeps Olimar and his Pikmin way to easily. This was the ground game part. If you haven't figured it out yet, ROB's ground game completely shuts down Olimar. On top of that, ROB ultra ***** Olimar offstage. Heck, I am not even going on to the details, because everyone know how ridicolous it is (backthrow/fthrow to fair/bair and a stock's gone...)! Oh, and ROB's grab... is just annoyingly fast. Yes, even ROB's get up attack (100%) destroys Olimar, if Olimar is hit behind it (it gives a backward knockback, meaning ROB has a great opportunity to gimp Olimar)! And Olimar spam doesn't work since ROB is having that up-tilt, shaking them off.

Seriously, the only thing I see Olimar >>> ROB is the juggling game. Okay, Olimar can juggle ROB to death, but that is nothing compared to the fact that ROB can gimp Olimar at nearly any percent. Oh, and if ROB gets juggled, he can just go to the edges/offstage, because Olimar can't go offstage without taking the biggest risk! The laser is good too to keep Olimar on track.

Yep, what do you think guys? I hope you have realized that ROB is actually having the favour over Olimar, not vise versa! I would say this MU is like 60:40 ROB's favour, or even more...

Notice that I am NOT an Olimar user or a R.O.B. user. This is just what I think about the MU, so take me and this post with a grain of salt (although I am serious)!

60:40 R.O.B.'s favour or possibly even more.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I'm with xzx on this one Cheebz, tho it wouldn't be much in our favour imo.
Mostly with the tilts...once I found out how good dtilt was in this MU, I got a robotic boner.
At worst, 50:50 imo.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
TEXT WALL APPROACHING! tl;dr at the bottom,

this is even IMO. admittedly im already full of olimar exp (3 top olimar mains, all regular attendees) so that probably makes my life a little easier. wwhoever wins the camping game depends on what pikmin hes got. u-tilt to knock them off almost always. i personally like to leave the gyro on the stage to kill all except purples when they try to run back to him. which makes camping him much easier cause he ends up with mainly purples

as for dealing with his range on grabs and smashes, well unless its a pivot grab our f-tilt is the same range (except maybe white grab, which is just about useless) and its certainly faster than his smashes and it will probably hit him before the grab reaches us. all differs depending on the pikmin

And if we somehow get caught at direct short range with olimar, our d-tilt will get him out of range as its faster than his better options, he can perhaps jab us. but then gives minimal damge and puts us at an advantageous range again

once we get him offstage, we can essentially have a field day, f-air will be a jack offstage and can at least trade with olimars aerials. not to mention its hideously easy for us to get to the ledge, edgeguarding to where were going to get about 70% of out kills on olimar

The major problem for rob is the minor (major) fact that once we are above olimar, he can juggle us all day with his amazing tools for this. and will probably tack on a couple dozen percent before we even get back onstage. the best course of action is probably to retreat to the ledge and then try to get up from there, which isnt easy.
also, if we decide that we want to approach olimar (why would you?) we will have an incredibly hard time of doing so, with hordes of pikmin flying towards us, if he manages to land a grab while a few pikmin are latched on then were taking a torrent of abuse in a few mere seconds. Add this to his scary killing potential and youre already in kill range after about 10 seconds flat

tl;dr: 50-50, our tilts and edgeguarding **** him, his kill/damage potential and juggling **** us.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Ugh, the yellow and purple ones are pain in the *ss. However, R.O.B.'s ground game shuts down Olimar's and we can gimp him really easy (well, not easier than Ivysaur LoL). Definitely in R.O.B.'s favour; 55:45 or more. Olimar kills and juggles us, but we gimp him. I promise you guys that it's in R.O.B.'s favour, no matter what. Don't be biased and count your bias in the MU, because I know many people hate him. ;)

R.O.B. and Olimar are actually my favorite MUs.

Nintenpro

Smash Apprentice
- Ftilt > Olimar's grab (same range and Olimar hasn't super armor grab)
- Bair to edgeguard him
- Olimar outcamps ROB but we can approach him "easily" with a smart use of our laser and gyro
- grab is a good option to throw him offstage
- Olimar's Uair is painful (especially with a red pikmin =p)

5-5 imo

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Premium
On the other side:
- Olimar has red Pikmin, which are tough for us to get off/deal with
- Up smash kills us around 90% if it's a purple, if not sooner
- He can juggle us well and rack damage very quickly, something ROB doesn't like having because of his poor momentum cancel.
- Smart Olimars will use Whistle Armor to avoid getting bair'd offstage.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
completely outcamps us, grabs us easily, and kills us early. i would mark it as a -2 for us
dabuz also thinks olimar destroys rob

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
1.)completely outcamps us, 2.) grabs us easily, 3.) and kills us early. i would mark it as a -2 for us
dabuz also thinks olimar destroys rob
1.) Approach him. Don't camp him, silly.

2.) Shut down his grabs with tilts. It isn't hard at all.

3.) Don't attack from above when you're at kill % unless you know his pikmin line up isn't deadly.

Now, what else?

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
I'm saying in situations where it becomes a camp fest, or he's avoiding you - obviously you need to play this aggressive

However playing aggressive puts you more susceptible to problems 2 and 3

tilts don't really beat grab, i don't know why some still think this, not to mention there is a shield lol

his kill moves can hit you from the ground just as easily as the air. if he shields any tilt he can usmash you out of it most of the time.

Dabuz

Fraud at Smash
sorry, this MU is horrible for rob, his camp game is destroyed, his approach game is garbage, his spacing game isn't good enough, he gets juggled like LOL, and can't juggle a good oli for ****. Also, olimar takes advantage of every stage better than ROB. I could go into more detail, but trust me, -2 MU EASILY!

Top Bottom