• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The ROB Matchup Thread

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
makes sense, but I usually saw the guy start it high and fast fall it on me at an angle
Walk away, shield and punish (watch the landing hitbox), and if its too high you might even be able to dash under it. If hes throwing the turtle before it comes in contact with you it shouldn't be a threat. At the very least you can see how they're spacing and SDI away or SDI up and in and punish him with a fair.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
It's always R.O.B. who has to be careful, not Mr. Game & Watch. >_>
R.O.B. 40:60 Mr. Game & Watch for sure.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I think it's even. I have never had any problems against G&W. The worst thing in the MU is nair, nothing else is on the "watch out" list.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Nair, Uair, D-throw, Chef...

Disjointed multi hit moves **** R.O.B. (just look at Meta Knight).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Dthrow, lol
Chef, LOL
Nair, touch for us
Uair, doesn't juggle any better than other uairs.
Disjointedness or multihitting doesn't isn't bad for us, all it does it give us a chance to escape.

We don't lose to MK because of his multihits. It's because he can easily approach from our blindspots and gimp us with ease. He also doesn't have any problems killing us at all.

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
You'll understand when you meet a good Mr. Game & Watch. =)
LoL joke, but don't underestimate those moves.

And multihit moves are actually worse than just one single hit... compare Meta Knight to Ganondorf... (you get more punished).

-LzR-

Smash Hero
That is not multihit, it's speed.

And G&W neutralB is just a joke, seriously.
His uair isn't anything special except the gimmick push effect which only stales it.
Dthrow can be teched so that G&W followups are limited to a regrab if he reads you correctly.
Being a multihit only allows you to SDI out of them, unelss they are special moves like Nado which you can't SDI out of.

And MK's best moves aren't multihit.

Also Pit is basically a big multihit joke. And he still sucks.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
after playing the best gaymanwatch in europe, i can safely say that it is not easy not us, definetely a disadvantage, 6;4 to him imo

his ability to keep rob off the floor is second to only to mk, with his u-air, which isnt so much for hitting, but for making us desperate to land with the wind effect, also the wind effect covers a wide area so he can get us even if we wavebounce

his nair eats ours, and our diar isnt worth mentioning. and it also knocks us back up again

dthrow can be teched, but our techroll/techstand is so slow he has time to react and simply grab us again, its like rolling with samus. best option is to not tech and take the d-tilt which he will probably throw out when he sees us not tech, and pres A just in case he tries to dsmash and you can GU attack before it hits

gaymsanwatch requires srs patience, as laser is laso useless

tl;dr: the MU is gyro

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Well at least someone agrees with me, I said the MU was R.O.B. 40:60 Mr. Game & Watch.

He is annoying as *beep* and we only have gyro and Bair.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
imo​

The MU is not falling for early kill gimmicks,
never staying above G&W,​
SDI'ing out of bair and punishing out of it,​
and gyro play can do some pretty sexy stuff too.​

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
But Mr. Game & Watch has stuffs on us too, don't forget that!

TeeVee

Smash Lord
after playing the best gaymanwatch in europe, i can safely say that it is not easy not us, definetely a disadvantage, 6;4 to him imo

his ability to keep rob off the floor is second to only to mk, with his u-air, which isnt so much for hitting, but for making us desperate to land with the wind effect, also the wind effect covers a wide area so he can get us even if we wavebounce

his nair eats ours, and our diar isnt worth mentioning. and it also knocks us back up again

dthrow can be teched, but our techroll/techstand is so slow he has time to react and simply grab us again, its like rolling with samus. best option is to not tech and take the d-tilt which he will probably throw out when he sees us not tech, and pres A just in case he tries to dsmash and you can GU attack before it hits

gaymsanwatch requires srs patience, as laser is laso useless

tl;dr: the MU is gyro

not to sound rude but he was just prolly on a different level than you skill wise, matchup is 55 - 45 at the very worst, i still stand by 50 - 50 though

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
50-50 is what I would agree on as well.

@ whoever said its always us being careful, thats just how GW is... he has those powerful smashes and the random judge, but they aren't reliable.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
not to sound rude but he was just prolly on a different level than you skill wise, matchup is 55 - 45 at the very worst, i still stand by 50 - 50 though
most likely, he was a good player, to throw a juicy john out there, i hadnt slept for two days...infact i still havent and ive got a phychiatrists appointment in a bit, insomania isnt good at all, i need some sleep -__-

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Care to explain what can G&W do to us that he can't do to everyone else?
Well spaced Ftilt will beat his aggressive aerial moves and we got more range in the ground.
He doesn't really destroy or recovery either.
Just tell me please?

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
I have never had any problems outspacing bair with ftilt and his bair is crap anyways.
Says the Meta Knight mainer...

Rizk18; I would say it's 40:60 R.O.B.'s disadvantage.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
i've come to the conclusion that the jigglypuff auto turns people into bad trolls XD

also, personally fox:rob is 50:50. but only when fox is played conventionally. a b-air happy fox is kinda hard for rob to get in against

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
Says the Meta Knight mainer...

Rizk18; I would say it's 40:60 R.O.B.'s disadvantage.
Do you think we win anything? I never even see you say even.

I rarely if ever get to play fox but I bust out Pikachu for it, not because I feel its bad for ROB but just because Pikachu has the nasty CG. :awesome:

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Because I main MK I can outspace G&Ws bair with Robs ftilt?
Congrats, we have a winner for our yearly logic competition, the prize goes to ccst!

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
I really thought people would know how to beat out the turtle by now... Ftilt outranges it unless its being thrown early (in which case WALK AWAY), you can space a fsmash through it, or hell, SDI ruins it. Take 4% and watch his end lag if hes hitting you with the very tip or SDI up and fair him if its not spaced as well.

As a side note, I like Lylat vs GW.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207

As a side note, I like Lylat vs GW.
I don't due to the platforms. I feel like he can hassle us too much with nair and maybe even do some knock off from the platform to smash kills as well.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
b-air still annoys me, because by the time i notice ive been hit by it, and then my shoddy attempts to SDI (really got to work on that, im terrible at it) its already ended

Cubone

Smash Lord
NNID
Cubone
I don't due to the platforms. I feel like he can hassle us too much with nair and maybe even do some knock off from the platform to smash kills as well.
At the same time it gives us better access to usmash and uair and we deal with the ledges a tad better.

Theres not a really solid CP against GW =\

8Bitman

Smash Master
Do you think we win anything? I never even see you say even.

I rarely if ever get to play fox but I bust out Pikachu for it, not because I feel its bad for ROB but just because Pikachu has the nasty CG. :awesome:
I side with him, Fox combo the hell out of us, and we can't do anything about his Dair. It is definitely not even. Even if it is by 1% it would be in Fox's favor.

Theres not a really solid CP against GW =\
I thought you would've known.

FD is by far the greatest CP against GW assuming they don't ban, which I have no clue why they would.

But R.O.B is just better than GW. You are all contemplating on how to get past his Bair but you don't understand that you just have to avoid that move. Lazor it, Gyro it, run and reverse these things at them.

Remember Lazor goes through anything in the entire game. Nado, GW's Bair, snake's nades, EVERYTHING. Use it in this MU, and if you are two scared because of GW's D-B then just stop using lazor, or only use it when you know they won't see it coming.

Personally I love this MU and I think it is either a +1 or a +2. More of a +1.5 though if you know what I mean.

GW has no range and no projectiles that go far, and R.O.B can combo the HELL out of GW especially with R.O.B's Gyro. If there isn't a Gyro out, get one out, it helps the most in this MU. TRUST ME. I mained GW at the beggining of Brawl, and I still use him occasionally. I know what he can, and can't get through.

GW is slower than you think, R.O.B is faster than you think. Lol

Heartstring

Smash Legend
always XD
i hate it when i get to CP vs. someone, even if its diddy, then ban fd and go mk on me
FUUUUU

thats when i go to the castle of perfect r.o.b camping!

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
Because I main MK I can outspace G&Ws bair with Robs ftilt?
Congrats, we have a winner for our yearly logic competition, the prize goes to ccst!
You know... F-tilt is a ground move. And yes, I know how to SDI it.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Bair tends to just throw the gyro away, losing you a vital tool in battle and ends up doing nothing. So I think it's safer to use laser. It doesn't even matter if it's charged or not, you will never kill a G&W with a charged laser anyways so why not.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Of course he mean't G&W bair >_>

That thing will catch the gyro in it and throw it away if you hit the turtle. Or it may not for the fully charged one though. Correct me if I am wrong.

8Bitman

Smash Master
It might send it away, but I remember at the last tourney I went too, two weekends ago, I was playing Izzy (The best GW in Florida) in doubles, and I ran and reversed the Gyro (when he was approaching me with a Bair), fully charged, and it literally Shot right through the Turtle into GW. I am not positive if I just did it at the right time and didn't notice, but that is something to look at.

If anyone is having major trouble with this MU, please try this ASAP.

But Regardless the Lazor will always go through it. (OBV.)

As for the Un-Charged Gyro, it will never go through, I have tried too many times. Never try and reverse an un-charged gyro into his Bair, it won't work.

Heartstring

Smash Legend
well, theres the 8% window on priority, if the gyro is going to do over 12% in the hit it will go through the turtle

Top Bottom