Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!
You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!
Use Smashboards links to get your gaming stuff and support the site, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, GameCube Controller Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Edition, Nintendo Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Edition Pro Controller - Switch, a Nintendo Switch Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Edition - Switch or a Poké Ball Plus.
That's just half of it though; we would have also needed a spare TV for my system. But yeah there are probably people without Wii Us who can bring their computer monitors to tournaments as half a setupI brought my adapter just in case anyone had a spare Wii U without it, definitely would of worked out.
1. I had no problem with it starting at 12. Like I said I told you to because you obviously can't turn them away. Don't know why you're targeting me there.Before i get naughty i want to thank every single one of you for coming to the road to TGC 2. This event was the largest Tx smash event in smash 4's history and the largest monthly i have ever held in my 10 years of TOing (crushing HOBO 10 and 11). Excellent matches were had/recorded (thank you tourney locator) and a new champion (MegaFox from San Antonio) took down the mighty Trela who was undefeated in tournament wins up until now. I really enjoyed seeing the new faces, returning faces and most def the very old faces like Dojo, Santi and more. Most importantly, i appreciate all of you that came out here and took the tournament's lemon and made it into lemonade without crying like a baby. You guys understand that life is not perfect and that you have to make the best of the situation even if minor things do go wrong.
But for the rest (not limited to whom i have quoted)..............
1. Delayed start time was originally 30 min because i still had 20 players in line trying to register ( i believe it was RAZER who came up to me and requested that we start at 12 aka the 30min later). I did this because I would feel terrible if i had to cut off registration when there are people literally doing what they are supposed to do by sitting in line waiting to register. For the record, i started registration and 9:50 btw. I apologize for registering people early, listening to razer and being nice by allowing people to enter the event after the scheduled time. It wont happen again.
2. The wait time was extended by an additional 15min because i had to go around and have people fill blank tables with set-ups after i told EVERYBODY who registered with set-ups to fill tables first and then head outside. The players simply did not listen and some of them moved their set-up outside because it was less crowded. I was busy registering people so i did not have time to check every table after every entrant to see if it was filled. I apologize for that and will make sure i stop registration every 3min (further making events run later) and walk around the venue to make sure that tables are filled. It wont happen again.
3. The payout. Lets get one thing out of the way, if you honestly did not know top 4 was the payout for TGC 2 then that means you have not read a single TGC thread since October 2014 and that is 100% on you. Why in the F would you attend an event, cry about an aspect of it when you didn't even read the rules (the most basic of duties when attending an event) in the first place? Paying out op 4 is standard for TGC. You guys haven't complained about this during the HOBO days nor TGC 1 but all of the sudden you want me to make a MAJOR change to the rules mid tournament? The last time i did that you guys almost burned London to the ground. I apologize for trying to keep payouts consistent. It wont happen again.
4. Seeding. No johns on my end. I specifically remember 4-5 of us talking about FlipHop being XYZth seed and clearly for some reason i put Avoid or ALSM above him. This is totally my fault and i dont know why this happened.
5. Have any of you ever been told by your parents not to eat dessert before dinner/supper? As a parent, i now say this to my child. Do you know why? Eating a dessert (the final part of a meal) will prevent you from finishing your dinner. Now take this concept and apply it to tournaments. Singles is "dinner/supper" or the "main course" and Doubles is the dessert. Both are important but one is CLEARLY the main event. Over the years, i have learned that if you do doubles first, certain people get discouraged or salty and once doubles are over they tend to want their singles fee back/take their set-up home. Having set-ups missing for a 1vs1 131 man event (that hasnt even happend yet) due to bitter 2vs2 players is not good. Now, combine that with the fact 1vs1 naturally loses set-ups as people get eliminated and you should be able to see why I do what I do because as TO it is devastating to run a event with low set-ups. I apologize for running my event in a way that focuses set-ups and time on the MAIN event.
6. Some of you complained you didn't have time to practice and that doubles going first would have been your chance to practice. Here is an idea: SHOW UP EARLY. You knew about this event MONTHS in advance and yet you still could request off or sleep early or wake up early? No ****ing johns! I MAKE myself do all of those things and I have far more responsibility than any of you yet I get there at 9am. I apologize I warn you about events several months in advance and I apologize for being there early to give you an opportunity that you never take to get practice in. It won't happen again.
7. Lack of set-ups. This a common problem at events world wide. So instead of launching this complaint at me, how about you launch it at the ones who are responsible for the lack of setups? Razer, did you bring one? Trela, did you? FlipHop, did you? Avoid, did you? P4, did you? Sync/BC/RunCT/Illmatic did you? I highly doubt it and so none of you have any right to complain about lack of set ups/events ending late (assuming you complained). But no no, I forgot, this is my fault. I apologize for not bringing 45 WiiUs and TVs to my event. How dare I expect players and to do the right thing. It won't happen again.
8. I've noticed over the years that players have become extremely entitled and selfish. The focus for them has switched from the game to their personal wants/desires. It is as if they expect me to serve them what they want when they want it. TGC or any event I do is not Burger King, you don't get to "have it your way." What I do for you all is a GIFT. You don't not get to pick your gift. Either take it or don't. If you dislike what I do, you may head to GameGuys, Insomnia, For Glory or GFC Toys. Maybe they will kiss your *** and spoon feed you what you require because I wont. I will do whatever it takes to preserve this game's life and ensure its fair for all players who enter. If you dislike this, then maybe TGC is not for you.
Why do you have hard feelings towards me? I don't understand why you think I'm hating, or whining to whine or am attacking you. I had legitimate things to say. Why? To IMPROVE for the future. Player feedback matters to some degree whether you think so or not. You also think I don't know why you do much of what you do. Do you not remember that you've told me most things you've responded to? I'm not talking hot air just to talk. I think you took this too personally or just think I don't know anything so you're feeling offended or attacked. It's quite the opposite.You nor no one else was targeted. It just so happened that you brought up a topic and i covered it. thats it. i have zero hard feelings towards you or anyone right now other than Razer.
Except for the things you did differently that were bad.Nothing ive said were johns. johns are excuses. what i said are facts. you people are just entitled babies who dont like how the event is ran until its ran the way you want it. i will continue doing what ive done for years and have it work like it has for years.
Caring is one thing. Telling me what is "bad" when its a personal dislike or a dislike based off of no TO exp/ignorance is another thing. its a common theme from people.Xyro, you are getting feedback because we care. Most of us wouldn't bother giving advice to others TOs.
"bad idea" according to YOU or other people who simply do not know anything.From my experience, I can tell you some of these problems have been here for years and you have a history of pretending a bad idea wasn't a bad idea.
Since my events never break 150 I usually never seed past 20 people. After 20 it doesn't really matter unless its a 200+ man event.I'm not sure what you do when you call up top players from each city to help you seed, but at all of your large tournaments is somehow winds up being very questionable. Maybe during registration just ask people where they are from quickly to prevent some of these issues.
Good so you dont care. next!I'm not personally upset about fighting Megafox round one, but I know it also means you seeded me below 80+ people who have never been to a tournament. Which probably makes no sense.
You are assuming several things here.You are 100% correct about people reading the thread. I feel like you would receive all the proper complaints BEFORE the event, if people realized what you were posting in the listing made no sense. Posting bad ideas ahead of time doesn't make those ideas good.
17 is not enough for 131 to run comfortably.You had plenty of setups.
yes. i am lashing out at uneducated ignorant people who actually think they know wtf they are talking about when they have zero exp running events or care for the life of the game.Your nuke is just a bunch of johns and lashing out at people trying to help you.
yes when yall watch the money or call a match or get me food or move TVs or ring set-ups i am always thankful and always thank you guys for that. those things have simple meaings/simply goals/simply outcomes that require no skill or experience.Some of these things seems minor to you, but you should be glad people are willing to help. We are the same people that watch the money when you need to step away, grab food for you when you can't step away, help you move stuff to, from and around the venue and many other things. The only difference is sometimes you accept/request help and other times you see it as a personal attack on your entire career.
i made comment about asking the SCENE to bring set-ups. I dont wanna hear about this because i remind them weekly to bring them. you complain about set-ups to me does nothing but make it appear that it is my fault.You're taking constructive criticism/feedback completely wrong. It's directed towards YOU because you're the main TO of Houston smash. If we have feedback about one of YOUR tournaments, obviously we're going to go to you first before the rest of the scene. It's not meant to attack you or your style of hosting. I feel you're taking it way too personally.
I give you feedback in order to suggest better options on how to handle some situations IN MY OPINION.
done.You don't have to take it, nor address it, but the least you could do is listen and not assume we're all being selfish *******s. Which we're not... lol. We all have different perspectives on certain issues, but being one-minded and seeing it as how YOU want too and not as how we interpreted it to be said is causing more problems than there should be.
its hard to enjoy/appreciate words of thanks after you coat it in dog ****.You ran a 130+ person tournament in one of the biggest states. Do you realize how much of an accomplishment that is? We know that things aren't going to go as planned majority of the time. I acknowledged how well you and Mora/Krebs did despite all the setbacks, but with compliments comes feedback and vice-versa.
Wait, so you are scared to bring a set-up because of theft/damage....etc but a REWARD for bringing a set-up will trump that? lmao dude WHAT?!?!?!I didn't bring a set-up, you're right. It is a major problem at most tournaments; exactly why I threw out suggestions on something to increase the turnout of them. I'm in the same boat as many others about how cautious we are of bringing them, but more of an incentive gives more of a lead-way and help convince us to bring them. Launching it at the one's who didn't bring it won't change much, besides bring upon more unneeded arguing. Who win's in that situation? I rather address the issue with the person hosting the tournament in order to find solutions that help it run more smoothly for THEM and US at the next.
im not mad at you, man. i feel like all of this "constructive criticism" is baseless simply because you guys just dont know wtf is going on.If you feel like I'm being offensive or wording things wrongly that make it seem like I'm raging towards you, I apologize. Not what I intend my posts to be.
1. I had no problem with it starting at 12. Like I said I told you to because you obviously can't turn them away. Don't know why you're targeting me there.
again, i told people do do it. i didnt have time to get up and make sure each tv was perfect until AFTER i did sign ups. its not like you were gonna donate time and help.2. This is good. Just seems like all TVs should be in order which you say you'll make sure happens. So good. No complaints too much there.
"hey, xyro! since TGC 2 was a huge event and only top 4 got paid out, would it be ok if it was extended to top 5 or 8 if the turnout stays this size? that would see like a pretty fair deal to more players."3. I'm not crying about top 8 but it's just baffling that it's like that SINCE it has been where X amount of entrants = top Y payout for most of Brawl. I knew about it being top 4 before but never posted. I'm posting now since the huge turnout and it just seemed unfair to Espy + others in top 8. I say all this to help the event. It's for you to know for the future.
done.4. The seeding thing was 95% of my frustration. Thank you for owning up to it. Let's just work to not have it happen again.
Disagreeing does not mean i am wrong (which im not). it means you dont like what i think/do. That is the problem. You guys dislike something and so you immediately call it bad or wrong. literally stay home next time. please.5. You think I don't know you're reasoning. You've literally told me ALL of that before and I still disagree. A player can get just as easily salty after getting knocked out of bracket in round 2 of singles and take their set up. Hence start singles when doubles dwindle down. Losing TVs after a salty singles entrant hurts in the long run when you got doubles to start. Trust me, I've thought about it A LOT and it's not just for my "wants." I truly think doubles can be started first followed by singles a couple hours after and finish in a timely manner. Can you not see my frustration with doubles not being completed two events in a row where me and others are affected? I'm not saying all this to whine. I'm really trying to help.
good. i expect to see you there nice and early practicing so you can STFU about not getting enough play time before singles.6. This can work but is probably not ideal and is player preference. I know you say it's for the event to run on time but I've seen you do doubles followed by singles multiple times in Brawl successfully man.
re-read my posts. i said i am not addressing anybody specifically. my post is aimed at the complaints and not the user.7. When did I ever launch this complaint of lack of set ups to you? I thought we had a fine number of set ups (~17?). I don't know why you're throwing these random jabs at me when I never brought this up.
no.8. I'm not expecting you to bend over to whatever we request otherwise we'd be running 2 stock, customs with 5-7 stages only. I applaud that you do what you do. But we both know there ARE things that you can listen to like the stage discussion before this tournament. The stuff I brought up seems reasonable to discuss with the players who attend your tournament.
according to who? someone with no TO exp? someone who is known for complaining on the daily about everything? someone who dislikes so much stuff that it is impossible to make them happy?Except for the things you did differently that were bad.
If you're the only person who is seeing our posts as unhelpful and abrasive, you need to reevaluate the situation tbh. From what I've read of myself, Tesh, and Razer's posts (which I've looked over many times), not once did we make it seem like we were intentionally being harsh towards you. We had our feedback, we stated it. Simple as that.See that^^^^^^^^^^^^^^? Neither you, avoid, tesh or anyone else come off as nice/nonabrasive/helpful as that in ANY of your posts. Work on that ****.
I'm just talking about matches not being played ASAP. Its a minor thing. He had "enough" setups to run the tournament and aside from going against everyone by running doubles 2nd, it all went fine. Assuming grand finals went to game 10, we were over an hour behind schedule.what the **** lol
Safe to say it'll be here in Houston.Hey Xyro, I'm curious. Do you know if the next TGC is going to be at Texadelphia again, or is going to be somewhere else? If it's going to be somewhere else, then is it still going to be in Houston? The reason I'm asking is because if it's going to be somewhere else besides in Houston then I probably can't go. But if I can go, then I can't wait to see you guys again at TGC 3!
Shoutouts to this thread for staying alive after 1 week. Xyro created this thread last thursday and its still going. All I got to say is Acha cha cha!So anyways. Shout outs anyone?
Woohoo! Houston is the best! Thank you guys so much for creating and hosting TGC! You guys are the best!Shoutouts to this thread for staying alive after 1 week. Xyro created this thread last thursday and its still going. All I got to say is Acha cha cha!
Ps: For those wondering Texas Gaming Championships will always be held in houston and nowhere else. Houston is were it all began and is were it will all end.
Oh. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining.If I remember correctly, vectoring made games last longer so two stocks made sets go by quicker, but since vectoring is out and regular DI is back in we should most likely see people switching back to three stocks.