• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
however if you click on the link I posted before you can see that conversation also if you have not Miiverse ;)

PS I draw human figure quite well :awesome:
:D that great! im learning about human figure at school....and it is a bit hard for me, specially the realism....i really would like to see a drawing from you!

And who knows? Maybe you will become better than me!

:3 And you should try to do a Ridley drawing for this thread!

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
:D that great! im learning about human figure at school....and it is a bit hard for me, specially the realism....i really would like to see a drawing from you!

And who knows? Maybe you will become a master like Leonardo da Vinci!

:3 And you should try to do a Ridley drawing for this thread!
I would like to do a drawing for this thread but ... I can't "move" my drawings from paper to my computer ... I don't have a scanner ...

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Maybe I could take a photo to them but it's not the same thing ....
oh, forget it....i will not force you if you dont want to

@ samusrules93 I really want to start that Ridley drawing....thanks to Ben Sprout for the wired renders of Elysia....Im thinking the poses Samus and Ridley will have, maybe i will post the quick sketch for you to see if you want me to get it modified

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I can't even be surprised when people are basically saying "Ridley can't be resized because he's not Bowser". I mean that's essentially what the "Too big" argument is anyway, but to just come out and say it... Wow.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Maybe I could take a photo to them but it's not the same thing ....
That's how I do it but then again there isn't a lot of quality to lose in my stuff xD

:3 Someday we are going to be able to go! you will get the chance when you least expect it, and i hope to overcome my fear...

Oh, OK! It is just that when someone request me something, i feel compromised.... xD and yeah....i posted a lot today

AND THANK YOU A LOT! :3

haha no problem. And don't feel like, you have to fulfill a specific vision of mine or anything, just draw what you're inspired to. I just wanted to give like, a spark, not plan your drawing for you.

And yeah I guess I have no idea where I'll be even like 2-3 years from now, so anything is possible.

I think this is the longest string of posts I've posted In a while that wasn't just random sarcasm. I should probably get back to that people might start questioning my identity.

RIDLEY IS TOO BIG AND STUFF
BLARGH

there we go. back to normal.

AndreaAC

SCAN0102.JPG

@samusrules93 Here is the Sketch....Ridley was easy....but Samus is going to be a small problem....and the background is not going to stay like that, and also not the zip line xD you want me to change something?

Last edited:

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I really wish he'd just be announced already so I can just laugh in every TooBigot's smug ****ing face.
Who doesn't at this point.

Ridley is fat :)
That's why he became bulimic. :(

I RETURNED ON MIIVERSE !!!!!!
AND AS I SAID HERE YOU ARE THE CONVERSATION WHERE TWO TOOBIGOTS BLOCKED ME ,ENJOY :
https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAABUaW6pXNcbQ
My, that Noah guy sure is stubborn and in denial.

Reminds of another Noah I know. Amirite guys? :awesome:
(Hint: Roster Prediction Thread)

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
Warning Received
My, that Noah guy sure is stubborn and in denial.

Reminds of another Noah I know. Amirite guys? :awesome:
(Hint: Roster Prediction Thread)
That Noah is the stupidest person I have ever met (and probably he's the person who blocked me)
The funny thing is that he said Ridley's too big but then he said King K Rool is perfect .... but he's twice DK ....

I'm shocked .... here you are noah's quotes about King K Rool (who's a good character but he is as big as Ridley)

"i think they might add dixie kong?"
"or even King K. Rool"
"they added King DeeDee for kirby and bowser for mario and now Donkey Kong is its own game so it could be a opition add all the main big bad guys"

"THEY ADDED KING DEEDEE FOR KIRBY AND BOWSER FOR MARIO AND NOW DONKEY KONG IS ITS OWN GAME SO IT COULD BE A OPTION ADD ALL THE MAIN BIG BAD GUYS"

but he still says Ridley's too big ,too stupid ,too useless

Last edited by a moderator:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
I'm shocked .... here you are noah's quotes about King K Rool (who's a good character but he is as big as Ridley)

"or even King K. Rool"
"they added King DeeDee for kirby and bowser for mario and now Donkey Kong is its own game so it could be a opition add all the main big bad guys"

"THEY ADDED KING DEEDEE FOR KIRBY AND BOWSER FOR MARIO AND NOW DONKEY KONG IS ITS OWN GAME SO IT COULD BE A OPTION ADD ALL THE MAIN BIG BAD GUYS"

Didn't he say something about Ridley being a mindless monster that just kills things?

...Obvious research fail on his part...

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
LmAo....speechless...i dont even know what to say to this......
It's one thing to debate over whether or not a character can work in Smash, and use relatively poor arguments to back yourself up...

It's another thing entirely to use false information.

ppbto

Smash Journeyman

"or even King K. Rool"

He is totally biased against Ridley and their arguments are too stupid that they hurt.

Don't lose your time arguing with people like these.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Like I said before, it's not a matter of "this character can't be in Smash". It should be about "this character shouldn't be in Smash"
That's kind of where the issue lies. Most arguments against Ridley are reasons why he can't be in Smash; in other words, issues with size, anatomy, programming, etc. When you get down to it, there really isn't much reason Ridley shouldn't be in Smash aside from that. He has all the right characteristics for a good Smash fighter. Even some Ridley detractors agree that Ridley is the most deserving second Metroid rep. So since it's usually agreed that Ridley should be in Smash, people can only argue why he can't.

That's the sad reality of the situation, it seems...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
View attachment 9084

@samusrules93 Here is the Sketch....Ridley was easy....but Samus is going to be a small problem....and the background is not going to stay like that, and also not the zip line xD you want me to change something?
that is completely awesome. The only input I would have is maybe add some more elysian architecture into the background or something because that stuff is really cool.

but awesome .

AndreaAC

that is completely awesome. The only input I would have is maybe add some more elysian architecture into the background or something because that stuff is really cool.

but awesome .
:D OK! yeah im going to add the architecture, i hope it comes ok.....since drawing structures are not my thing yet xD And thanks!

Last edited:

AndreaAC

SCAN0103 - Copy.JPG

@samusrules93 Here it is.....anything else i need to add? i did not add the clouds because i tought the drawing was going to get lost in them

Last edited:

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
View attachment 9094

@samusrules93 Here it is.....anything else i need to add? i did not add the clouds because i thought the drawing was going to get lost in them
No its good I can happily die now there's not much else left in life to experience.

(especially since I'll probably get re-incarnated before any new metroids get announced so it'll be an easier wait this way)

AndreaAC

No its good I can happily die now there's not much else left in life to experience.

(especially since I'll probably get re-incarnated before any new metroids get announced so it'll be an easier wait this way)
:3 Glad you liked it! sorry for the bad perspective, im not good at it yet.....and im really hoping for a new metroid by Retro.....that would make me happy, even i need to finish prime 1...but i wanted to spend my time drawing other things that aren't for school

Last edited:

UltimateWario

Smash Master
So, I'm thinking about putting together a comprehensive "Anti-Ridley Argument Guide", one that fleshes out each of the most popular or common arguments against His Grace and explains how to thoroughly deal with each one. At this point, we all know that there's no real reason that Ridley can't be in Smash, especially with Sakurai's recent Miiverse post about how "scale be damned" in Smash obliterating the size argument, so I'd like to put together these responses in a professional, informative manner for aspiring Space Pirates to use in combat against our troublesome (and admittedly dull-witted) enemies. If I could get everyone's help and input, that would make it even more comprehensive and useful, with multiple views on each subject, as well as adding new arguments and counter-arguments to further bolster our defenses.

As such, here are a few of the most popular Anti-Ridley arguments, as well as a brief description of how they are faulty and can be countered.

1. "Ridley is too big to be in Smash!"
This is the big daddy of them all, a virus that was born from a misinterpreted quote from a interview with Sakurai. The "true" quote is "I think that would probably be impossible. [laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that have been all right? [laughs]" He never once states that Ridley is too large. You may receive "He said he was pretty impossible!", but then you remind them that this is also the issue where he claims that Animal Crossing characters cannot fight.

You'll get a lot about how Bowser can be resized because he has been before, which, in itself is faulty, since Ridley has to be resized to be resized before. Bowser is quite often several times larger than Mario, even in several playable appearances. Smash is among his smallest build. You'll also get nonsense about how Samus should fit in Ridley's hand, to which you simply post one of @Angelglory's size comparisons and tell them that, by that logic, Bowser has to be big enough for Mario to go inside his maw and adventure through his intestines.

This argument was completely destroyed in a recent Miiverse post, in which Sakurai stated that the series isn't always to scale. While it is a seemingly innocent post, I personally believe that Sakurai is aware of our plight and doing his best to tide us over until Ridley can be properly revealed.

2. "He was a boss in Brawl and should stay a boss!"
Another popular one, Little Mac destroys this argument. He was an Assist Trophy and sure as hell didn't stay one. Also, Bowser, Ganondorf, and DeDeDe were all bosses in their respective games before becoming playable. End of story.

3. "He's the stage hazard of Pyrosphere!"
This is the hardest one to combat, as it may be true, but the chances get slimmer and slimmer every day. Little Mac showed us that Sakurai likes to tease us when it comes to stages, so Pyrosphere faking us out is definitely in within Sakurai's limits of "trickery". Also relevant is that Ridley is the stage hazard of Pyrosphere in another fighting game, Dead or Alive: Dimensions, and Sakurai has displayed a general distaste with borrowing or copying elements from other games, especially fighting games.

That's it for now, but I'm very interested in hearing more input and such. I'd like to compile this stuff as well as possible. From this point on, I'll list input from other members so that we can properly put it all together later.

Input from Other Sources
  • @SmasherMaster mentioned, correctly, that characters within particular franchises differ in size, such as PIkachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo's size inconsistencies and Ganondorf's shrunkeness compared to the rest of the Zelda cast.
  • @ False Sense False Sense added that you should always emphasize that Sakurai said that Ridley could work, as well as the fact that Charizard was promoted to Playable status after being a Pokeball summon. Also reminded me to add the whole "Ridley's size is his character" argument.
  • @ SchAlternate SchAlternate made sure to add the "Other Metroid Characters are More Deserving" argument. The counter to said argument is obvious. @ majora_787 majora_787 reinforces this by explaining that Ridley appears in more Metroid games than anyone but Samus herself.
  • @ AustarusIV AustarusIV drives this point home, and adds that Ridley predates both Bowser and Ganondorf in Smash, via his cameo in Planet Zebes in Smash 64.
  • As @ Godzillathewonderdog Godzillathewonderdog added, Ridley is one of the most requested characters worldwide, especially in the West, similar to Little Mac's situation. He also mentions that Ridley's skeletal proportions, which are often also cited as reasons he would be too awkward, aren't an issue with Ridley's Other M appearances, which is the more likely to be used of the two.
  • Some kind Ridley-loving gents on Gamefaqs pointed out that they had heard a few people state that "Metroid doesn't deserve another character", which is...well, come on. That's just silly.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
So, I'm thinking about putting together a comprehensive "Anti-Ridley Argument Guide", one that fleshes out each of the most popular or common arguments against His Grace and explains how to thoroughly deal with each one. At this point, we all know that there's no real reason that Ridley can't be in Smash, especially with Sakurai's recent Miiverse post about how "scale be damned" in Smash obliterating the size argument, so I'd like to put together these responses in a professional, informative manner for aspiring Space Pirates to use in combat against our troublesome (and admittedly dull-witted) enemies. If I could get everyone's help and input, that would make it even more comprehensive and useful, with multiple views on each subject, as well as adding new arguments and counter-arguments to further bolster our defenses.

As such, here are a few of the most popular Anti-Ridley arguments, as well as a brief description of how they are faulty and can be countered.

This is the big daddy of them all, a virus that was born from a misinterpreted quote from a interview with Sakurai. The "true" quote is "I think that would probably be impossible. [laughs] If we had put our best efforts into it, we may have been able to do it. But he might have been a little slow. Would that have been all right? [laughs]" He never once states that Ridley is too large. You may receive "He said he was pretty impossible!", but then you remind them that this is also the issue where he claims that Animal Crossing characters cannot fight.

You'll get a lot about how Bowser can be resized because he has been before, which, in itself is faulty, since Ridley has to be resized to be resized before. Bowser is quite often several times larger than Mario, even in several playable appearances. Smash is among his smallest build. You'll also get nonsense about how Samus should fit in Ridley's hand, to which you simply post one of @Angelglory's size comparisons and tell them that Bowser has to be big enough for Mario to go inside his maw and adventure through his intestines.

This argument was completely destroyed in a recent Miiverse post, in which Sakurai stated that the series isn't always to scale. While it is a seemingly innocent post, I personally believe that Sakurai is aware of our plight and doing his best to tide us over until Ridley can be properly revealed.

Another popular one, Little Mac destroys this argument. He was an Assist Trophy and sure as hell didn't stay one. Also, Bowser, Ganondorf, and DeDeDe were all bosses in their respective games before becoming playable. End of story.

This is the hardest one to combat, as it may be true, but the chances get slimmer and slimmer every day. Little Mac showed us that Sakurai likes to tease us when it comes to stages, so Pyrosphere faking us out is definitely in within Sakurai's limits of "trickery". Also relevant is that Ridley is the stage hazard of Pyrosphere in another fighting game, Dead or Alive: Dimensions, and Sakurai has displayed a general distaste with borrowing or copying elements from other games, especially fighting games.

That's it for now, but I'm very interested in hearing more input and such. I'd like to compile this stuff as well as possible.
All that sounds excellent so far. There are a few things I might add in as well.

-In regards to the "impossible" quote, it should be emphasized that Sakurai explicitly says that "we may have been able to do it." Most Ridley detractors just look at the impossible bit and ignore that last part. You have it bolded already, so that's good, but brining up that part of the quote is vital to destroying anti-Ridley arguments.

-In regards to the boss argument, you might also want to add in Charizard as a character that promoted from Poke Ball status, a role he had for both of the two previous games.

Other than that, it looks great. I'd love to see this idea fleshed out even further so we can have another powerful weapon to use against the anti-Ridley groups.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427

You'll get a lot about how Bowser can be resized because he has been before, which, in itself is faulty, since Ridley has to be resized to be resized before. Bowser is quite often several times larger than Mario, even in several playable appearances. Smash is among his smallest build. You'll also get nonsense about how Samus should fit in Ridley's hand, to which you simply post one of @Angelglory's size comparisons and tell them that, by that logic, Bowser has to be big enough for Mario to go inside his maw and adventure through his intestines.

That's it for now, but I'm very interested in hearing more input and such. I'd like to compile this stuff as well as possible.

Input from Other Sources
  • @SmasherMaster mentioned, correctly, that characters within particular franchises differ in size, such as PIkachu, Charizard, and Mewtwo's size inconsistencies and Ganondorf's shrunkeness.
  • @ False Sense False Sense added that you should always emphasize that Sakurai said that Ridley could work, as well as the fact that Charizard was promoted to Playable status after being a Pokeball summon.
I don't know if it counts, but there's several instances were detractors say that there are other Metroid characters that can get in over Ridley such as Rundas, Dark Samus, Adam Malkovich, Anthony Higgins and one of the hunters from Metroid Prime: Hunters. Easily debunked by the fact that Ridley plays a larger role in the series than anyone else mentioned before.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Another thing to add is that Too Bigots like to dismiss Ridley as someone who's "irrelevant" to Metroid as a whole, and that there are more "important" characters to add over him like Rundas, a Space Pirate, or Adam. It's an incredibly insipid thing to say about someone who's appeared in more games in his series than Ganondorf has in the Legend of Zelda, but it's so commonly used by people who like the one-shot hunters that it has to be mentioned.

Also, remember that Ridley has been in the Super Smash Bros. Series since the very beginning, preceding both Bowser and Ganondorf. At that time, Ridley was still considered to be nothing more than one of the main generals for Mother Brain, so to see him make cameos in SSB64 and Melee, years before Mother Brain made her debut as an assist trophy for SSB4 should really tell you how popular he actually is.

EDIT: I realize the first part of my post was already mentioned. Oh well.

Last edited:

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Perhaps we should get Hotfeet/FeliciaFan over here to add some stuff...

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
Well I was watching ProtonJon's stream last night and he said he doesn't think Ridley will be in because there are other characters people would rather have...... So I guess you can mention how he's one of the most wanted characters in the world.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Well I was watching ProtonJon's stream last night and he said he doesn't think Ridley will be in because there are other characters people would rather have...... So I guess you can mention how he's one of the most wanted characters in the world.
What does he mean by characters other people would rather have? If he's referring to characters like Mewtwo or King K. Rool, then I guess that makes sense, but if he's implying that other Metroid characters have a better chance than he really doesn't know what he's talking about.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
I'm just throwing out there that Samus and Ridley are the only two characters who are in over half of the Metroid games.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Oi oi, dirty boy, there's been some nice arts in this thread that's cool. *thumb up vamoose*

(vamoose is also a brand of cleaning spray that is part of the really pretty funny joke i made)

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
What does he mean by characters other people would rather have? If he's referring to characters like Mewtwo or King K. Rool, then I guess that makes sense, but if he's implying that other Metroid characters have a better chance than he really doesn't know what he's talking about.
Those weren't his exact words, but he really doesn't seem to know much about what characters are likely. He was also given false information from a friend that the roster will, at the most, be as big as Brawl's.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I guess another thing people like to bring up a lot is how awkward Ridley would look due to his skeletal appearance and long neck. Of course this problem would be avoided if they used his Other M design, which they most likely would since Samus uses her Other M design.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I guess another thing people like to bring up a lot is how awkward Ridley would look due to his skeletal appearance and long neck. Of course this problem would be avoided if they used his Other M design, which they most likely would since Samus uses her Other M design.
This would also make it more hilarious to see Little Mac try to box against Roid Ridley. No chicken legs here, that stuff is for real.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Oh yeah, this totally slipped my mind, but there should definitely be a point addressing the "that ain't Ridley" argument, the one that argues that Ridley shrunk down isn't Ridley due to being stupid looking/a disgrace to his character/a character who's key characteristic is his size. Mention how Ridley's key characteristics are his relationship with Samus, having murdered her parents, and being the leader of the Space Pirates. Also mention how Ridley looking stupid is more or less a matter of opinion, and therefore cannot be used as any kind of valid argument.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Can we also acknowledge how the Samus in Smash Bros. isn't the real Samus? I'm just saying.

... They're all toys. Action figures and trophies or whatnot.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
The connection between Ridley and Little Mac seems to be growing; this will be fully realized if Ridley is the aerial menace we're all expecting him to be, making him a rival/counterpoint to Little Mac's ground-based game. Big vs. Small, Human vs. Alien, Good vs. Evil...

Market that ****!

Last edited:

Big Rig Randy

Smash Cadet
Ridley has no chance. Any theory or whatever you all come up with is just a complete desperate pipe dream, and you know it. So you can go ahead and lock this thread now.

Top Bottom