• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

D

Deleted member

The fact that it was Metroid and the hottest thing at the time made it sell better in the 'States. Japan, however, didn't complain nearly as much. Probably because they have different beliefs and norms regarding authority, and as Prime wasn't as critically acclaimed there, they probably didn't really compare the two (which is more than most can say in the rest of the world).

Also in case no one else already drew the connection I made on the Smash 4 Social thread:

[collapse=Miiverse Updates all make sense now]Reflectors are the enemy from Samus' past.[/collapse]
Hmm....and reflectors ARE a trauma for Samus.....
You wouldn't believe how many times she's had her big ball of death sent right back at her.

Sakurai talking about reflectors confirmed. :awesome:

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Are you suggesting that Retro should give the Metroid series a new villain?

There are a few possibilities for a good new antagonist. Has anything ever said that Ridley's species is extinct, or was against Ridley in some way? Perhaps his species could play a new role in Metroid, and I'd like to see supporting villains and members of the Space Pirates such as Kraid return soon as well, personally.

Though, Ridley has had a large role in the series, I mean, he ruined Samus' life, and he's cheated death numerous times. He's her archenemy, and any new villain couldn't properly serve the role he did. A villain could serve a similar role to Mother Brain, though, she too, like Ridley has harmed Samus' emotions and life greatly by killing the baby Metroid.

Given what has happened with DK and the Kremlings, I wouldn't be surprised if a new antagonist and a new evil force of aliens would turn up, though, bear in mind that many more details are given into the Metroid series' plot than the DK series, there are at least a few more things they would have to work around for a new antagonist.
Ow no.......i think i would officialy be done with Nintendo forever if they do this....RealTalk....Ugh.....man.....words cant describe how horrible.......im speechless......

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Ow no.......i think i would officialy be done with Nintendo forever if they do this....RealTalk....Ugh.....man.....words cant describe how horrible.......im speechless......
I'm not among those that think Ridley should be replaced, (his role in the series has been great, I don't see any good reason for it to happen at this point) but I won't be too surprised if it does happen, (or at least for the first few Metroid games Retro creates) given how Retro has yet to include the Kremlings in a DKC, as I said before.

Welshy91

Smash Ace
I've always wondered what Ridley even is. Was he specifically created? Are there more of his kind? Would a planet full of Ridleys be too big for a solar system?

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah, that's something I would think would be interesting. If there happen to be more members of Ridley's species, perhaps they could serve as major antagonists in a future Metroid game. Heck, maybe Ridley could have been their former leader or a major ally, and they'd be hunting Samus' down for supposedly killing him, only for him to turn up again somewhere later on.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's been spread around a lot, though I don't think it's proven to be official, but supposedly Ridley is the last of his kind. I do like this idea, because you would imagine that the GF led the eradication of his people. Probably because they were such a powerful and intelligent species, making them a threat. Would give him some tragic backstory, lol. It's a pretty easy way to make his actions make sense though. Vowing to destroy the Galactic Federation in revenge for killing his kind. Then, though they may not be his people, he'd still have the whole Galaxy to rule over.

D

Deleted member

Ridley is supposedly Geoform 187.

.....what about the other 186? *Insert horrible parody of Lilo & Stitch here*

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
Other M was the game designed for the Japanese audience. everything we hate about Other M, the Japanese audience wants to see in a video game. unfortunately, it's still a Metroid game, so it didn't do well anyway.

the Japanese gamer has very strange taste. that's the only way I can describe it. Metroid just isn't their game.
Actually, while it sold worse then Super and Prime, it outdid others like Prime 3. Ironically though, reception-wise Japan wasn't fond of it either, even with some of that catering: http://legendsoflocalization.com/what-does-japan-think-of-metroid-other-m/

Ridley is supposedly Geoform 187.

.....what about the other 186? *Insert horrible parody of Lilo & Stitch here*
Ridley: Cousin!

OcarinaOfDoom

Smash Lord
NNID
OcarinaOfDoom
wait when did the thread title change?
Either way, still think Ridley is getting better chances as the Pyrosphere updates continue

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I'm not among those that think Ridley should be replaced, (his role in the series has been great, I don't see any good reason for it to happen at this point) but I won't be too surprised if it does happen, (or at least for the first few Metroid games Retro creates) given how Retro has yet to include the Kremlings in a DKC, as I said before.
Na Na...its not even the ''Ridley replace thing''

Its if Nintendo do Metroid like Conker & Banjo/Other M/DKCR......

despite the Rare sh it....

Owww man......i wouldnt really be suprised if it happens though...but would be extremely upset......i cant live of pokemon forever...its kinda dying out for me....im not even hyped for X & Y...might not even get it in on release...but will for sure later.

And Mario is dry.....killed mario hard. And F uck them if they make a Sh itty Galaxy 3 in like 2015/16 that would be beyond ********....RealTalk.

Anomilus

Smash Lord
NNID
Hyperdon
For now I think Ridley can just be considered a "Zebesian".

I like to think that if there were other Zebesians, they would look less sinister by comparison. Ridley could be the "black sheep" of the species... Well if they were sort of tribe-like, the way the Chozo or Luminoth. I could just imagine... "That Ridley... the wretch of our race. He holds no loyalties except to himself. Everything else to him exists solely for his benefit. Everything."

'Cause Ridley's boss like that.

D

Deleted member

Do you know why Ridley is the only one of his species left?

Because he ate the others. WHY DO YOU THINK HE'S SO BIG?!?

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
For now I think Ridley can just be considered a "Zebesian".

I like to think that if there were other Zebesians, they would look less sinister by comparison. Ridley could be the "black sheep" of the species... Well if they were sort of tribe-like, the way the Chozo or Luminoth. I could just imagine... "That Ridley... the wretch of our race. He holds no loyalties except to himself. Everything else to him exists solely for his benefit. Everything."

'Cause Ridley's boss like that.
Samus should be a Lesbian Zesbian 100/ Ending cutscene for Prime4. :)

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yes I remember. He basically made every Ridley debate a little worse.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
I'm sorry you miss him

I'm sorry I can't be him

but I'm me, and if you don't understand that then this relationship won't work

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Much as I hate to admit it, I miss him too in a way. Even though he was a fellow supporter I argued with most, mostly over stupid things that not too many others would care about, he had that certain charm to him as a user, and sparks flying between him and Gypsy was always amusing before we pulled the plug on him upon Ridley's deconfirmation in Brawl.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Oh yeah, there was that shenanigans. Was stupid to have even went along with it.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Metroid isn't very popular over there. Never has been. We could spend all day speculating on why that is....
Metroid WAS popular. The original trilogy sold well in Japan. Its only since the series resurrection that the Japanese have barely any interest in the Metroid series. The best selling post-1994 Metroid game was actually Metroid Fusion with a measly 160K which is around what Fire Emblem sells in Japan on its absolute worst day.

All the other Metroid games released in Japan after the original trilogy have sold under 100K (though Hunters may have barely cracked 100K simply due to how large the DS install base was).

D

Deleted member

Alright IsmaR, you don't comment on my addition to your joke about reflectors, you like my Stitch joke but don't add to it, and now, you have the nerve to call me fat.

Now, it's payback time!

(Not really mad, just needed an excuse to try a Coop Rant.)

Ridley1994

Smash Cadet
I actually miss Shuma. Especially compared to the rest of you.
Ow, you shoved a blade through my heart and twisted it, but on a serious note I love this crazy and somtimes insane thread. On another note I'm not surprized about the pic of the day being the pyroshere and would you look at all that expansive and empty space. Long live playable Ridley.

Cut back on the Space Cheeseburgers, that's for sure.
Ridley is far too anorexic for his size.

Top Bottom