• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Frankly, anyone who thinks that Ridley is too big really hasn't played enough Super Mario titles.

I genuinely love how despite the moderator status, you can still throw in your voice in the arguments against Ridley detractors. That'll help in the coming weeks/months/year in the off-chance that Ridley's not revealed tomorrow! :laugh:

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
that guy had one decent point. and it didn't really help his case.

he said ridley had cinematic appeal.

that means he's probably in the trailer tomorrow! lol

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I don't think he's an idiot at all lol just misinformed
I think he's a misinformed idiot who has some serious issues. I still wouldn't put it past him that his parents got divorced from him! :teeth:
Not gonna lie, MSG, whenever you post in a thread I like my heart seriously stops for a sec because I'm worried you've locked it.
Especially with that passive-aggressive slightly smaller text! :chuckle:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
he said ridley had cinematic appeal.

that means he's probably in the trailer tomorrow! lol
LMAO!!! Countering anti-logic with logic!!! It's like countered-anti-logic that becomes real logic because SCIENCE!!!
Anyone claiming "too big!" needs to rewatch the Melee intro.
Or the Super Marion Sunshine ending.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
I love when people say "but Bowser has magic." That is just. I don't even know how to explain how silly that is. It's like, they would accept a smaller Ridley wholeheartedly as long as you tack on some bull**** reasoning as "Space Pirates cloned Ridley, but there was a mutation that stunted his growth."

Also people need to stop bringing up the Melee intro and NES sprite. Doesn't mean anything.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Alright fellow Ridley supporters...maybe getting this thread to 100 pages will be good luck!

LET'S DO THIS

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Hear me out.

I love Mewtwo & K.Rool & Ridley they are my 3 most wanted characters but above all i want Ridley to be shown in the trailer...so much hate...so much disgusting biased ******** logic...i want him in more so i can do this over pleasure.

HEAR ME OUT LOUD FAR INTO ALL THE GALAXIES IN THE METROID UNIVERSE !! FROM PLANET ZEBES TO NORON TO OUBILETTE TO ALL YOU RIDLEY DISBELIVERS AND HATERS !!!!

Game&Watcher

Smash Ace
NNID
GameAndWatcher96
I'm just going to say why not; because he'd be a newcomer for a series that desperately needs one. (F-Zero needs one, too, but that's a different topic.)

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
I love when people say "but Bowser has magic." That is just. I don't even know how to explain how silly that is. It's like, they would accept a smaller Ridley wholeheartedly as long as you tack on some bull**** reasoning as "Space Pirates cloned Ridley, but there was a mutation that stunted his growth."

Also people need to stop bringing up the Melee intro and NES sprite. Doesn't mean anything.
People don't seem to understand that Mario is simply a fantasy series that inherently plays with scaling and does it all of the time. Metroid is not. Bowser has one scale when he is a character (Smash, Mario and Sonic, Mario Party, Mario Kart, sports games, etc.) and a varying scale for when he is a boss. You can fudge a fantasy series like Mario and you can do it interseries with some others, but it causes problems when done significantly intraseries.

Anyway, Sakurai has already shown us that he knows Ridley's scale in Brawl. Super Metroid size or bust.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
If he is in the game, and not in the trailer, i sure as hell hope they dont keep us wondering in the dark for too long.

--
Oh and aquatic ridley is just as awesome

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
People don't seem to understand that Mario is simply a fantasy series that inherently plays with scaling and does it all of the time. Metroid is not. Bowser has one scale when he is a character (Smash, Mario and Sonic, Mario Party, Mario Kart, sports games, etc.) and a varying scale for when he is a boss. You can fudge a fantasy series like Mario and you can do it interseries with some others, but it causes problems when done significantly intraseries.
Can't tell if troll or not, but if you aren't, you are a serious idiot.
[collapse="If you aren't a troll, here you go"]Ridley has gone from being barely bigger than Samus to four times her size. And no, Sakurai scales everything, and he does what he wants. No one cares about size or realism in smash. This isn't no super realistic Madden game; this is freaking a game where people DOUBLE JUMP (which is physically impossible), angels battle fire magic-using plumbers battling space animals with robotic legs fighting blue talking hedgehogs.

Also, Olimar is one inch tall. And yet, he's in Smash.

Don't use idiot realism here. To use it shows stupidity.[/collapse]

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I do think that people make a lot of bad points in regards to "Ridley's too big".

I think it's important to remember:
-Resizing happens all the time, both in Nintendo games in general and the Metroid series itself.
-Smash isn't cannon and doesn't even pretend to be; bottom line, it's a game about a bunch of dolls/trophies being animated.
-The size thing that matters is keeping some sense of the relative size for characters in their own universe. For example, it doesn't matter that Kirby is 8" in Dream Land, but it does matter that King Dedede is always larger than Kirby.

Bringing up things like "Olimar is normally tiny" doesn't help anything... it's completely irrelevant. I'm always confused when people bring that up. It doesn't matter for Ridley's inclusion so it just makes the entire position look weaker.
Edit: I, uh, typed this up before you posted that, Johnknight... I'm not directing this at anyone personally. I just think that people really should realize that Olimar's size (and the cannon size of individual characters in general) doesn't matter for this discussion, only relative sizes.

Man, I can't believe the Smash series got so far with only a single Metroid representative... I get that the games don't have that many characters, but it seems weird.

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
Can't tell if troll or not, but if you aren't, you are a serious idiot.
[collapse="If you aren't a troll, here you go"]Ridley has gone from being barely bigger than Samus to four times her size. And no, Sakurai scales everything, and he does what he wants. No one cares about size or realism in smash. This isn't no super realistic Madden game; this is freaking a game where people DOUBLE JUMP (which is physically impossible), angels battle fire magic-using plumbers battling space animals with robotic legs fighting blue talking hedgehogs.

Also, Olimar is one inch tall. And yet, he's in Smash.

Don't use idiot realism here. To use it shows stupidity.[/collapse]
I know I'm new here and everything, but that is some crazy ad hominem. I think you should slow down and not label someone as unintelligent for something as niche and frivolous as how a character might be added in a video game. It's just not befitting.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
I know I'm new here and everything, but that is some crazy ad hominem. I think you should slow down and not label someone as unintelligent for something as niche and frivolous as how a character might be added in a video game. It's just not befitting.

You might think "Huh, I thought this was a forum where a bunch of fans got together to talk about how they all mutually love the same thing" but, eh, apparently not. :)

Welcome to the forums! Here's your complimentary flak jacket. :p

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
You might think "Huh, I thought this was a forum where a bunch of fans got together to talk about how they all mutually love the same thing" but, eh, apparently not. :)

Welcome to the forums! Here's your complimentary flak jacket. :p
Hah, thank you! I haven't had a proper welcome here yet.
And yeah, forums hardly work that way in practice. I was around during the pre-Brawl days, and it could get... pretty heated. Not here, but Nsider. I'd like to say I never got like that, but it was so long ago, it could've happened? It doesn't matter really, I'm here now, and there's the trailer tomorrow.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
Hah, thank you! I haven't had a proper welcome here yet.
And yeah, forums hardly work that way in practice. I was around during the pre-Brawl days, and it could get... pretty heated. Not here, but Nsider. I'd like to say I never got like that, but it was so long ago, it could've happened? It doesn't matter really, I'm here now, and there's the trailer tomorrow.

Yeah... I've been here for, like, 12 years now. Looking back is a mix of "Wow, I was actually pretty smart" and "oh good lord I hope nobody remembers that".

I reallllllly hope (but don't expect) Ridley to be revealed tomorrow. He certainly does have great cinematic quality... if the trailer shows him swarming the stage with Space Pirates I'd be so, so happy.

Also... I never noticed that Melee Ridley didn't have his tail... what the heck?

M15t3R E

Smash Master

Anyway, Sakurai has already shown us that he knows Ridley's scale in Brawl. Super Metroid size or bust.
Finally, someone with a brain whose head is down to earth rather than in the clouds. I'm going to attempt to put this to rest once and for all.
As anyone, I would love for Ridley to be a newcomer if it made any sense at all. Unfortunately, there are too many factors that Ridley has which would pose a serious canonical conundrum. Ridley is too big, yes- it has been said before. Allow me to add new merit to this argument. The height comparisons on the OP scale Ridley to be smaller than the Pokemon Groudon and Zekrom, which is completely not to scale. Ridley, in the Metroid games, would certainly be comparably larger than each of them. Sure, Bowser is a large character, but regular Ridley's height is closer to Giga Bowser than Bowser. Bowser's height in Melee and Brawl is true to most Mario games. Ridley's, should he get in, will not be true to his games. So right there, Sakurai and the whole SSB4 team would be taking a departure from Nintendo's beloved Metroid series in order to appease eager fans.
But wait, it gets way worse!
Ridley, being a dragon-esque creature, can fly perpetually. Not only that, but he can fly so fast that if he flew overhead a sprinting Sonic traveling in the same direction, Sonic would stop and ask what the hell that was. For obvious reasons which need not be discussed, these cannot be attributes of any character in a SSB game. They would have to limit his flight, rendering Ridley quite oddly nerfed relative to his flying prowess in Metroid.
No, it's not over...
Ridley possesses the ability to fire out gigantic plasma fireballs in rapid succession, the like of which make Bowser roar in jealousy, especially since these fireballs can easily be larger than Bowser himself. They would have to be limited in size, proportional to Ridley's newfound height should he become a newcomer.
Ridley has many forms to boot. Which form would be incorporated into the game? Regular form? Meta? Mecha? Neo? Robot? Would every form be represented into Ridley's gameplay? How would that work and translate to SSB4?
As the commenter whom I am replying to put it, Sakurai already secured Ridley's place in SSB as a boss. A fitting choice as Ridley is a larger-than-life character who deserves to be represented accurately in whichever game he might appear in. That said, I am all for Ridley remaining a boss fight in SSB4 as well as being a new assist trophy.
So, before all you Ridley fans jump on the bandwagon, think about all these dilemmas. Jumping the gun and saying "to hell with Metroid canon" might disenfranchise some diehard Metroid fans and critics, not to mention. I surmise it is too astronomically obscure to add Ridley as a newcomer in SSB4 for the reasons aforementioned, and the SSB4 team already understand this which is why he made his debut as a boss in SSBB. The only way each of these issues could be resolved would be if an adolescent form of Ridley was introduced and used in SSB4. Clearly, this form should as similar to Ridley as possible, meaning it should be greatly older than Little Birdie that Samus discovers in Other M. Such an innovation would quite possibly reconcile these apparent problems facing a prospective newcomer in Ridley. However, as this has not yet been introduced, it is unlucky to find this younger form of Ridley in the next SSB game.
I'm sorry to be a buzzkill, but I will eat my words if Ridley is in fact confirmed as a newcomer. If not, I don't want to say I told you so, but...
I told you so.

Skiwage

Smash Rookie
If Ridley does make an appearance as a playable fighter in the reveal, it would make my day for sure.
Don't worry Ridley, you can be whatever size you need to be. :)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Finally, someone with a brain whose head is down to earth rather than in the clouds. I'm going to attempt to put this to rest once and for all.
As anyone, I would love for Ridley to be a newcomer if it made any sense at all. Unfortunately, there are too many factors that Ridley has which would pose a serious canonical conundrum. Ridley is too big, yes, it has been said before. Allow me to add new merit to this argument. 1 The height comparisons on the OP scale Ridley to be smaller than the Pokemon Groudon and Zekrom, which is completely not to scale. Ridley, in the Metroid games, is comparably larger than each of them. Sure, Bowser is a large character, but regular Ridley's height is closer to Giga Bowser than Bowser. Bowser's height in Melee and Brawl is true to most Mario games. Ridley's, should he get in, will not be true to his games. So right there, Sakurai and the whole SSB4 team would be taking a departure from Nintendo's beloved Metroid series in order to appease eager fans.
2 Ridley, being a dragon-esque creature, can fly perpetually. Not only that, but he can fly so fast that if he flew overhead a sprinting Sonic traveling in the same direction, Sonic would stop and ask what the hell that was. For obvious reasons which need not be discussed, these cannot be attributes of any character in a SSB game. They would have to limit his flight prowess, rendering Ridley quite oddly nerfed relative to his ability to fly in Metroid.
No, it's not over...
Ridley possesses the ability to fire out gigantic fireballs in rapid succession, the like of which make Bowser roar in jealousy, especially since these fireballs can easily be larger than Bowser himself.
Ridley has many forms to boot. 3 Which form would be incorporated into the game? Regular form? Meta? Mecha? Neo? Robot? Would every form be represented into Ridley's gameplay? How would that work?
As the commenter put it whom I am replying to, 4 Sakurai already secured Ridley's place in SSB as a boss. A fitting choice as Ridley is a larger-than-life character who deserves to be represented accurately in whichever game he might appear in. That said, I am all for Ridley remaining a boss fight in SSB4 as well as being a new assist trophy.
So, before all you Ridley fans jump on the bandwagon, think about all these dilemmas. Jumping the gun and saying "to hell with Metroid canon" 5 might disenfranchise some diehard Metroid fans and critics, not to mention. I surmise it is too astronomically obscure to add Ridley as a newcomer in SSB4 for the reasons aforementioned, and the SSB4 team already understand this which is why he was only a boss in SSBB.
I'm sorry to be a buzzkill, but I will eat my words if Ridley is in fact confirmed as a newcomer. If not, I don't want to say I told you so, but...
I told you so.
1. Scale, Smail. I'm sure the general audience wouldn't really care too much if it's off. that's what really matters.
2. almost ALL characters got nerfed, I'm sure king dedede's hammer could easily crack some skulls, but it doesn't in the game. Ridley's speed could be toned down, and his fireballs too. not too big of a deal.
3. they would use the form most smash players can recognize. the super metroid one, but purple.
4. Nobody knows what sakuri thinks, but a little quote from after brawls development seemed to spark his interest in Ridley as playable.
5. Metroid fans would love to see Ridley playable, unless they are grouchy and don't want him nerfed.

there you go.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You're funny. The only way it will rest is if Ridley is in the game or not. You won't change anything.
As anyone, I would love for Ridley to be a newcomer if it made any sense at all. Unfortunately, there are too many factors that Ridley has which would pose a serious canonical conundrum. Ridley is too big, yes- it has been said before. Allow me to add new merit to this argument. The height comparisons on the OP scale Ridley to be smaller than the Pokemon Groudon and Zekrom, which is completely not to scale. Ridley, in the Metroid games, would certainly be comparably larger than each of them. Sure, Bowser is a large character, but regular Ridley's height is closer to Giga Bowser than Bowser. Bowser's height in Melee and Brawl is true to most Mario games. Ridley's, should he get in, will not be true to his games. So right there, Sakurai and the whole SSB4 team would be taking a departure from Nintendo's beloved Metroid series in order to appease eager fans. Smash isn't really true to the original games. Besides. Explain the Melee opening.
Ridley, being a dragon-esque creature, can fly perpetually. Not only that, but he can fly so fast that if he flew overhead a sprinting Sonic traveling in the same direction, Sonic would stop and ask what the hell that was. For obvious reasons which need not be discussed, these cannot be attributes of any character in a SSB game. They would have to limit his flight, rendering Ridley quite oddly nerfed relative to his flying prowess in Metroid. They did that with Charizard, Pit, Kirby, Meta-Knight and every other flying character. How it that a problem?
No, it's not over...
Ridley possesses the ability to fire out gigantic fireballs in rapid succession, the like of which make Bowser roar in jealousy, especially since these fireballs can easily be larger than Bowser himself. They would have to be limited in size, proportional to Ridley's newfound height should he become a newcomer. ... Are you serious. Bowser sometimes spits fireballs bigger than Mario. I guess he's not in the game either.
Ridley has many forms to boot. Which form would be incorporated into the game? Regular form? Meta? Mecha? Neo? Robot? Would every form be represented into Ridley's gameplay? How would that work and translate to SSB4? How about just normal Ridley? You're overthinking this and trying to think of flimsy reasons as to why he can't be in.
As the commenter put it whom I am replying to, Sakurai already secured Ridley's place in SSB as a boss. A fitting choice as Ridley is a larger-than-life character who deserves to be represented accurately in whichever game he might appear in. That said, I am all for Ridley remaining a boss fight in SSB4 as well as being a new assist trophy. Charizard got bumped up to a playable role when he was a Pokeball Pokemon. Why can't Ridley make a similar jump?
So, before all you Ridley fans jump on the bandwagon, think about all these dilemmas.I have. They're not a problem. Jumping the gun and saying "to hell with Metroid canon" might disenfranchise some diehard Metroid fans and critics, not to mention. Can you find some? He's incredibly wanted for a reason. I surmise it is too astronomically obscure to add Ridley as a newcomer in SSB4 for the reasons aforementioned, and the SSB4 team already understand this which is why he was only a boss in SSBB. The only way each of these issue could be resolved would be if an adolescent form of Ridley was introduced and used in SSB4. Such an innovation would quite possibly reconcile these apparent problems facing a prospective newcomer in Ridley. However, as this has not happened yet, it is unlucky to find this younger form of Ridley in the next SSB game.
I told you so.
Responses in red.

Paragraphs are you're friends.

Sid-cada

Smash Lord
Seriously, can we just accept that it's just a game, so anything that would make things convenient will happen, regardless of logic?

"We can't have Olimar, he's useless without his Pikmin, which take so long to grow! He'd be absolutely useless!"
"We can't have Kirby! Without a copy ability, Kirby can barely fight!"
"No, wait! Kirby's overpowered! If he eats them, it's a one hit KO!"
"Fox hasn't been outside a vehicle to fight, so we can't have him without him being in an overpowered vehicle!"
"Captain Falcon hasn't even fought in game, so obviously he won't be in."
"The Triforce wielders have the powers of gods! Obviously overpowered!"
"Dedede is a flying heavyweight, so he'd be overpowered."

I haven't even fought for Ridley before, but I'm sick and tired of the arguments. While I don't mind waiting for his unveil, can we just have him in the trailer so we don't have to fight anymore!?

M15t3R E

Smash Master
Responses in red.

Paragraphs are you're friends.
And grammar is your friend.

I don't intend on changing anything less than a day from E3. All I am here to do is to be the harbinger of unfortunate truths. It's a lot of fan hype for Ridley, and none of these fans are thinking with the mindset of a team of video game developers working for the actual international entertainment corporation. Ridley's rescaling and change of abilities would be more of a departure for him than that of any character incorporated into Melee or Brawl thus far. It would even be a departure from Brawl itself. Once again, his place was already secured as a boss fight in which Ridley's size and abilities according to the SSB teams are made clear. I very much doubt they'll go back on their and Metroid's designs for Ridley, which clearly already match-up.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
All I am here to do is to be the harbinger of unfortunate truths.
I didn't know truth meant opinion. huh. the more you know.

Honestly, nobody knows. you could be right, or we could be right. we'll have to wait to find out.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
And Grammar is your friend. Hey. I was rushed. Gimme a break. :p

I don't intend on changing anything less than a day from E3. All I am here to do is to be the harbinger of unfortunate truths. Ridley's rescaling and change of abilities would be more of a departure for him than that of any character incorporated into Melee or Brawl thus far.Look at Charizard and Olimar for size. And how would Ridley's abilities change? It's a lot of fan hype for Ridley, and none of these fans are thinking with the mindset of a video game developer working for the actual entertainment corporation. And who's to say you are? In all honesty, how can one think like a developer? There a book or something? Once again, his place was already secured as a boss fight in which Ridley's size and abilities according to the SSB are made clear. I very much doubt they'll go back on their and Metroid's designs for Ridley, which clearly already match-up. They did just that with Charizard.
There ya go!

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
I see no problems with Ridley being in this game. Him, Little Mac, Mewtwo returning, and of course, that wtf character no one expecs (I.e Game and watch, Snake, ROB) would good enough for me.

M15t3R E

Smash Master
There ya go!
Charizard, Charizard, Charizard. Oh, that Charizard...
I'll have you know that I watched the hell out of the anime as a kid and most of the time Ash's Charizard would appear as a tall pokemon, maybe roughly the height of a grizzly bear. Not 15 feet tall like what you're thinking. However, the pokedex entry does state 5'7". Thus, it wasn't actually a stretch to make Charizard the height he is in Brawl. He's still fairly tall in Brawl- pretty close relative to the anime. As are all of the other characters in height and shape, pretty close. Olimar appears large enough to the user in the Pikmin series, and thus there already exists a character model complete with dimensions to use as a template in Brawl. It's less of a stretch to rescale a character to become larger than it is to have them become significantly smaller.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Yo can someone link me to a old
''Bowser is too Big for Melee'' thread
Oww what? They were no threads like that back then you say?

Well **** me.....(-_-)

I cant sleep...its 3:52am...i know its sad as ****...im not even tired i also dont have a girlfriend.

Top Bottom