• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

nessokman

Smash Lord
Ok then, how bout' we just change it to super ridley bros: Ridley. Where all the characters are Ridley. Instead of a sand bag, they use samus for home run contests :|

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Making the moon crash, obviously. :troll:

Now go and play the Song of Time.
Time to play the song of double time! :grin:

But seriously, it feels like Nintendo has played the Inverted Song of Time!!!

HURRY UP UNIVERSE!!! We got 31 hours to go, and they can't end quick enough!!!!

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Dawn of the Final Day
24 Hours Remain

Tomorrow we just might have Ridley confirmed. Even if Ridley is not confirmed, let us not lose hope. I said in my Ridley analysis for my Ultimate Character Analysis Topic that Ridley most likely will either be an unveil character or a Dojo character. I feel if he does not get in the unveil, that he will almost certainly be confirmed via the Dojo.

The only possible characters I could see Ridley competing with for a spot on the unveil roster would be:
1. K. Rool (due to also being a highly requested villain)
2. Little Mac (due to also being highly requested character with most of their appeal in the West)

I still think Ridley has the edge over both of them since he has more cinematic appeal than those two (no offense to supporters of those characters), and would draw in more people unfamiliar with his character than people who are unfamiliar with Little Mac or K. Rool.

Regardless, this could very well be our last day of speculation. I am hoping it is.

However, regardless of what happens tomorrow, we are all supporters of Ridley and we think he is among the best (if not the best) choices for a newcomer for Smash 4.

RIDLEY FOR SMASH 4!!!!

*yes I know Habanero, its technically not 24 hours until the unveil but we are still nevertheless very close to that mark

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
While I won't necessarily lose hope if he's not confirmed tomorrow, definitely won't be looking forward to the increased amount of detractors he'll no doubt have here if he's not. Same with K. Rool and the like.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
While I won't necessarily lose hope if he's not confirmed tomorrow, definitely won't be looking forward to the increased amount of detractors he'll no doubt have here if he's not. Same with K. Rool and the like.
K. Rool almost certainly won't face more detractors if he is not in the unveil. If Diddy Kong, who is a more popular character and made more consistent appearances in the DK and Mario spinoffs, did not make it for Brawl's unveil and was a Dojo character, then I fail to see why such expectations would have to be placed upon K. Rool.

We have less than 20 hours left until the unveil. As I said before, its going to be a whole new era for Smash Bros. speculation and the scene is going to be remarkably different than what it has been for the past several years.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If Ridley isn't announced tommorow it's probably because they know how awesome he is, and they don't want him to not only steal the spotlight from everything else in the trailer, but also everything else from the Direct too. At least that'd be my head canon.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
K. Rool almost certainly won't face more detractors if he is not in the unveil. If Diddy Kong, who is a more popular character and made more consistent appearances in the DK and Mario spinoffs, did not make it for Brawl's unveil and was a Dojo character, then I fail to see why such expectations would have to be placed upon K. Rool.

We have less than 20 hours left until the unveil. As I said before, its going to be a whole new era for Smash Bros. speculation and the scene is going to be remarkably different than what it has been for the past several years.
No doubt about the K. Rool comparison. Even before the last few days the K. Rool thread has had it easy compared to this one far as the detractors and anti-fanboys go. Am sure it'll be no different post-E3 for those reasons.

Remember Ridley is not just a game seller... he's a SYSTEM seller. :awesome:
lol If he's not in the trailer though, I may begin to question how much Sakurai cares about his money. I mean with one (or some) of the most requested characters like Ridley in the first trailer, SSB4's sales would skyrocket in the future because of that initial hype, would it not?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
As excited as I am for the unveil tomorrow, I can't help but say I'm kinda nervous about Ridley's chances. I think he's likely but....

I don't know how to put it. I think Japan's lack of interest and his hatebase may hurt him badly.

Someone make me feel better! D:

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
At the very least, this thread will be able to declare "Ridley for *fight synonym*!" this time tomorrow, if they're not too tipsy from whatever celebrations will occur if he is revealed outright.

I so wish there was decent fanart of K. Rool vs. Ridley to use as an avvy...

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
At the very least, this thread will be able to declare "Ridley for *fight synonym*!" this time tomorrow, if they're not too tipsy from whatever celebrations will occur if he is revealed outright.

I'd dig that. Y'know what I'm really wishing for right now? For both of them to be revealed tomorrow, so the rivalry will cease for the time being and we can get on with a very piratey celebration. I'd be so pumped. Since I don't expect both in the trailer (or even know what to expect, really) I dunno about that, but that like, would be the greatest thing to ever happen. Ever. How I look forward to having big, gigantic specific forums to discuss both of them in. Soon. :shades:

Edit: @Swamp:

C'mon man, Sakurai has directly acknowledged people wanting him before. He's not going to pay attention to a hatebase, because guess who else had both large amounts of specifically-Western popularity and a hatebase?

A particular blue hedgehog. And Sakurai went to great pains (and cut two popular characters) just to put his spiky ass in there. Don't worry too much, man. Just hope for piratey celebration fun time tomorrow!

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

If we get a K. Rool vs. Ridley fight in the upcoming trailer, my body might just fail to function properly for the next 3 years from all the hype...

"My Body Is Not Ready" and "Ridley is too big for Smash" indeed.

#RidleyIsTooBigToNotBeInSmash

But really, those are my 2 most wanted Nintendo newcomers, and to see them fight it out and maybe get a fun little rivalry going amongst their two fan bases going as a result would be a pretty awesome thing to say the least. It would be better than the stupid "fake" Pit vs. Meta Knight fan base fights (because Pit's fan base sucked due to several morons, and still has a huge amount of suckage now even IMO; it's like all the pre-2008 Melee Peach drama queens took over Pit's fan base, which sucks).

D

Deleted member

As excited as I am for the unveil tomorrow, I can't help but say I'm kinda nervous about Ridley's chances. I think he's likely but....

I don't know how to put it. I think Japan's lack of interest and his hatebase may hurt him badly.

Well he's not third-party for one and Sakurai is likely going to look at request from the West more seriously than in the previous games. Oh and I wouldn't worry about hate base, they're not going to keep a character out.

At the very least, I feel a lot better about Ridley than I do about Mega Man...

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Eh, I'm not having my expectations through the roof either. While I do everything I can to hype up Ridley pre-trailer (avatar changing, playing through Metroid games featuring him) I still don't deem his chance of appearing 100%, more or less because I believe in lucky charms (to a certain extent.) Heck, I'm even prepared for the possibility of no new character reveals, as unlikely as that is. I'm trying hard to not have the chance of being dissapointed tommorow.

I'm actually very confident in Mega Man's chances. Ridley just doesn't seem as likely, maybe my brain just can't cope with the possibility of him being an early reveal. I guess we just don't want to set ourselves up for dissapointment regarding our favorite characters.

Let's hope that by this game's release that we will have way more than fan art ;)

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss

You want reassurance? E3 is a predominantly Western function and every character has a hatebase. You can expect Ridley's to be shushed very quickly the second he's revealed, whenever he's revealed.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, who doesn't want a pterodactyl/dragon in smash=??? You only have to be a fan of awesome things to be happy if that is revealed as a newcomer! :shades:

Japan wants Ridley (he's one of the most requested newcomers there, although he's still not wanted very much since Japanese Smashers don't seem to care about newcomers), the West wants Ridley, EVERYONE WHO MATTERS WANTS RIDLEY!!!
Well that's because Capcom sucks at doing smart things. But hey! If Capcom keeps failing so much, they might not own anything any longer! :laugh:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Japan wants Ridley (he's one of the most requested newcomers there), the West wants Ridley, EVERYONE WHO MATTERS WANTS RIDLEY!!!
Source?

Because that sounds like the opposite of what I've heard and read.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Source?

Because that sounds like the opposite of what I've heard and read.
Look it up on the Smash info thread by "---". ChronoBound, Venus, and shortiecanbrawl have tons of information dealing with it. The 3D Metroid games may not be big in Japan, but the 2D games were, and they love Ridley. He's up there with the best of them in Japan, although in Japan there isn't anywhere near as much demand for newcomers from Smashers (they mostly just want Roy and Mewtwo back, and for the Brawl roster to be retained).

Plus, he's a freaking dragon/pterodactyl thing!!! Who doesn't want that=??? Japan loves dinosaur-esk beings/giant monsters too, hence Godzilla! :laugh:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
yeah, a lot of sites really don't want ridley for some reason. I really don't get it. who DOESN'T want to play as a giant purple space dragon?
People who want to play as cute baby seals instead and stupid crap like that, or who want the same type of characters over and over!!!

People, it's called diversity, and I, your Champion of Ridley, AM HERE TO SAY THAT RIDLEY IS DIVERSITY!!! ACCEPT IT!!! LOVE IT!!! LIVE IT!!! EMBRACE IT!!!

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
People who want to play as cute baby seals instead and stupid crap like that, or who want the same type of characters over and over!!!

People, it's called diversity, and I, your Champion of Ridley, AM HERE TO SAY THAT RIDLEY IS DIVERSITY!!! ACCEPT IT!!! LOVE IT!!! LIVE IT!!! EMBRACE IT!!!
wait. there is a potential character that's a baby seal?

if not, there should be.

lobotheduck21

Smash Master
NNID
@AntwonGodefroy
3DS FC
4914-4683-5067
Do you hear the Smashers sing?
Singing the song of angry fans?
It is the music of ol' Ridley
Who won't be a boss again!
When E3 begins to start
Ridley will be there, bet your bums,
Then we'll all embrace and [laugh] and gloat
When tomorrow comes!

Les Riderables, anyone?

I sung that in monk style

Once again the point I'm making is missed.
I'm not saying Ridley is a poor fit just BECAUSE he's a boss.
It is everything about his character that is represented throughout Metroid and Brawl.
He is depicted as a large, overbearing boss with "cinematic" powers if that makes sense. Like Master Hand or Tabuu, he is not shown as a character that can dynamically fight with the cast at their level.
...Yet in his original sequence, he was re-sized (which is the point that you are missing)

The bolded is pretty much the definition of ganondorf

I'm just gonna post this for when he comes

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
Mr Lange?

That's a disappointment. He's part of the awesome soundtrack that's going in Sonic After the Sequel. Sadly enough, it's not the first dumb argument I've seen him in today.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Trust me legendofrob1, there's dozens of idiots where that one came from, especially on GameFAQs.

They have some fan bases, yes, but they have some crazy cult-like hate bases and cult-like fan bases for characters with no chances (especially if they are female, and especially if said user is male and couldn't get a girl to save his life).

There's some legit posters there, but my God that place is a zoo for idiotic behavior and posts. Hopefully those crazy people stay there. I don't want to feel unclean. *shivers*

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I made a huge wall of text, complete with pictures, hilarious sarcasm, and rebuttal for his nitpickiness/"arguments."

Then I realized this discussion has been closed.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I made a huge wall of text, complete with pictures, hilarious sarcasm, and rebuttal for his nitpickiness/"arguments."

Then I realized this discussion has been closed.
Frankly, anyone who thinks that Ridley is too big really hasn't played enough Super Mario titles.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Post it anyway.

I deleted it without saving it. It involved every single boss that's playable now doing spectacular "cinematic powers" like Wario piledriving a Godzilla-sized dinosaur, Bowser chilling in a giant hot tub, Ganondorf slapping people at super-sonic speeds, Dedede using his hammer as a makeshift rocket launcher, etc..

I'm pretty sure I said "Scratch my 'this argument needs resizing' post. This whole thread needs resizing" at one point, too.

Frankly, anyone who thinks that Ridley is too big really hasn't played enough Super Mario titles.
The argument he kept using was he uses Magic or something to get big. The pictures I was gonna post were all of him being ginorma-sized BEFORE using any magic or other means to get even bigger.

Platsy

Smash Mouth
NNID
Cyani-Oxide
I really doubt he'll go here. That's like running into a lion's den screaming with a stick.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Not gonna lie, MSG, whenever you post in a thread I like my heart seriously stops for a sec because I'm worried you've locked it.
I really doubt he'll go here. That's like running into a lion's den screaming with a stick.
Yeah, I really doubt he expected as much smart resistance/counterarguments as he got.

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
I think the thing that holds most people back on size is relative size between characters from the same universe. Samus is kind of a tall character in Smash Bros, so Ridley would have to be at least recognizable in relation to Samus (even taller, basically). They could probably get away with this by making Samus slightly shorter, that way Ridley could have more wiggle room. That being said, the proportions on the Super Metroid boxart have always seemed fine to me for this context:

Top Bottom