• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, it is from the pic of the day. I'm going to whine so hard if all of this is just coincidence. SO HARD.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
In case if anyone wants to know, this is the picture he's talking about:

I get the feeling people are going to start shipping Ridley with the fairy.

EDIT: Pic was Ninja'd

Last edited:

ppbto

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai just love to make these size comparisons or he is definitely trolling?

UltimateWario

Smash Master
Okay, Sakurai.

The first time, it was kind of funny.

Then it started to get old.

Then you showed us Ridley's shadow, and it got really old.

Now you're just being an asshole. :glare:

/joking
Not everything size-related has to do with Ridley.

Last edited:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Man this pic of the day has me laughing. People are playing up the Ridley angle everywhere hahaha!

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
A playable Ridley would still be smaller than the fairy that he was talking about.

But still, I don't want you guys to get overexcited about what he said. Remember the last time we got overhyped by something that told canon size to suck it, which later came to bite us in the ass on the day of the Smash Direct.

Sakurai's pictures of the day are made with the intention of providing the technical detail of this game one day at a time. It's only a bonus that we get some added humor pointing out some of the absurdity present in the Smash series (like the Wii Fit Trainer being flexible even when grounded, or the size discrepancy between Kirby and Olimar). I seriously doubt that he's even aware of the "too big" meme online.

FinalStarmen

Smash Ace
The size reference does not necessarily have to be Ridley-related - it could just either an obscure reference to Pac-Man lore (or maybe not, I am not familiar with the series) or, more-than-likely, a coincidental joke.

Last edited:

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
A playable Ridley would still be smaller than the fairy that he was talking about.

But still, I don't want you guys to get overexcited about what he said. Remember the last time we got overhyped by something that told canon size to suck it, which later came to bite us in the *** on the day of the Smash Direct.

Sakurai's pictures of the day are made with the intention of providing the technical detail of this game one day at a time. It's only a bonus that we get some added humor pointing out some of the absurdity present in the Smash series (like the Wii Fit Trainer being flexible even when grounded, or the size discrepancy between Kirby and Olimar). I seriously doubt that he's even aware of the "too big" meme online.
I agree, but it's just kinda odd that he's talked so much about "scaling" and "size" of things. Hell, he even made mention of Samus's height in the Little Mac reveal. It just seems like a really odd thing to obsess over. I'm sure he could think of millions of stupid little details to talk about, but yet he keeps coming back to size. It's almost like he's being defensive about it, as though there is something that would cause some kind of discrepancy. I'm not saying it is, in fact, Ridley, but he does seem to be over-explaining himself on this, haha.

PowerBomb

Smash Master
The size reference does not necessarily have to be Ridley-related - it could just either an obscure reference to Pac-Man lore (or maybe not, I am not familiar with the series) or, more-than-likely, a coincidental joke.
This... although, I do wonder if Sakurai knows about the whole "too big" meme.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
The only way Sakurai could know about the "too big" nonsense is if someone at NoA like Nate Bihldorff told him about it, along with adding in his immense popularity in the West. But I still doubt they would've brought it up.

Morbi

Scavenger
The only way Sakurai could know about the "too big" nonsense is if someone at NoA like Nate Bihldorff told him about it, along with adding in his immense popularity in the West. But I still doubt they would've brought it up.
I am sure that there are some Japanese speculators that favor Ridley, even if it is based on the notion that the West supports him. I am sure that Sakurai is aware of the "too big" nonsense to some extent at the very least.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
I agree, but it's just kinda odd that he's talked so much about "scaling" and "size" of things. Hell, he even made mention of Samus's height in the Little Mac reveal. It just seems like a really odd thing to obsess over. I'm sure he could think of millions of stupid little details to talk about, but yet he keeps coming back to size. It's almost like he's being defensive about it, as though there is something that would cause some kind of discrepancy. I'm not saying it is, in fact, Ridley, but he does seem to be over-explaining himself on this, haha.
He wants to make sure everyone understands where he's coming from before he reveals....

Kraid.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

But still, I don't want you guys to get overexcited about what he said. Remember the last time we got overhyped by something that told canon size to suck it, which later came to bite us in the *** on the day of the Smash Direct.

Kinda reminds me of when Bowser was first revealed for Brawl during a PotD and was quoted to be like the "biggest fighter" in the game, which led to lots more arguing/speculation about Ridley's chances that ultimately amounted to nothing. Today's PotD quote also likely got made with no thought of Ridley in mind, but something people will take as such anyway because of how used they are to seeing him be talked about that way online, whether through toobigotry or as a meme.

Probably not. He's likely as oblivious to it as he is to arguments made for or against most (if not all) characters, and that's prolly a good thing in Ridley's case.

Bravetriforcer

Smash Ace
I am sure that there are some Japanese speculators that favor Ridley, even if it is based on the notion that the West supports him. I am sure that Sakurai is aware of the "too big" nonsense to some extent at the very least.
Does anyone know how Sakurai feels about Metroid overall, by any chance?

Just something I thought about when considering the marginal Ridley support over there.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Yeah, there is. There was this pic on the Japanese Miiverse before the Smash Direct. Japanese support for Ridley is not nonexistent, like some people erroneously believe, I have seen quite a few people (through the garbled mess that's Google Translate) express a desire to see Ridley playable.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Oh jeezus heezus Sakurai. I doubt it's an allusion to Ridley at all honestly, not everything size related has to do with him after all, but I couldn't hold back genuine laughter regardless.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
He probably does. It's such a big subject regarding Ridley, I doubt it hasn't been brought up alongside Ridley when Nate and co. brought information back to him as it's a viewpoint of a good chunk of Smash fans after all. Even then Sakurai probably gets information from what people say on Miiverse and their reaction to certain reveals, and I doubt they just missed the many "too big" chants from the Pyrosphere reveal.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Does anyone know how Sakurai feels about Metroid overall, by any chance?

Just something I thought about when considering the marginal Ridley support over there.
I don't think anyone here knows for certain how he feels about it, but is probably one of the series he pays attention to or cares for the least like a lot of Japan in general, if the way he's treated it stage-wise in Smash is any indication. I honestly think he may genuinely like Other M more than most other games in the series though with how much content of it he's included in Smash 4 (don't think it's just because of Other M being the most recent Metroid), which doesn't tell me great things about his taste if that's really the case.

tl;dr: Your question is something that can only really be speculated like Ridley himself right now.

Last edited:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
He probably does. It's such a big subject regarding Ridley, I doubt it hasn't been brought up alongside Ridley when Nate and co. brought information back to him as it's a viewpoint of a good chunk of Smash fans after all. Even then Sakurai probably gets information from what people say on Miiverse and their reaction to certain reveals, and I doubt they just missed the many "too big" chants from the Pyrosphere reveal.
Huh. In that case, I would probably burst into tears if Ridley's reveal trailer made any sort of reference to the "size" debate.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Of course Sakurai knows about the too big controversy. Come on, guys.

BeakyBird

Smash Apprentice
Geeze, can someone just go into a frenzy and say Ridley is confirmed? It'd probably make us feel better. After all these pseudo-teases it feels like we're all getting burnt out and cynical. XD

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Maybe he knows about the meme, maybe he doesn't. What difference does it make though if Ridley's still just gonna be a stationary (totally not out-of-character) pinata hazard anyway? We can at least deduce though that if Ridley doesn't get in, it won't be because of his size based on the previous updates.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
EDIT: Wait, they banned Ridley threads, someone could explain why?
Basically we were renowned for having this nasty little habit of tearing up what was left of the mod/staff's sanity. "Clan/supporter" wars were ridiculously flame-worthy, toobig arguments pretty much derailed EVERY thread at some point, and the thread's main group/following was notorious for being an especially spammy lot of trolls if Oasis, Basket and I aren't already shining examples of that.

Wow, @ IsmaR IsmaR , your grammar has really improved since Brawl days, eh? :laugh:
Hey, English wasn't my native language. Barely passed each semester during those years. <.< That said, I was terrible prior to taking my e-lumps during the WoR/R.I.D.L.E.Y. initiation and the joy that was post-roster leak Brawl boards.

SO, to my fellow Space Pirates, please direct your requests for how you want to be represented in this lounge drawing to me in some way so that I can compile a list (Just write on my profile page or something). I feel it should be done in this way so that it can be kept in one place and then the process can be streamlined.

Thank you in advance.
My apologies in advance for not replying to your wall, as I had already written this out before catching up with the thread/reading Andrea's replies. I'd also like to point out that no matter how it turns out, I'm quite certain the lot of us would be so humbled that she/you took the time to do all of this and include our say in the process that we'd be grateful regardless of whether or not it's not 100% how we want it. This goes for the other regular artists/modelers as well, since they not only stick with this thread, but never cease to amaze with each new work.

As for the actual request, it's no secret that I change avi's so often that there's no real one I'm "known" for (other than Sombrerotroid I guess, since that one was commissioned by/for me specifically), so I wouldn't really mind whatever was chosen for me. References of my last 2:

Last (click for better reference):

The "M" could obviously become an R. Or the hoodie could be that Ridley one posted a few hundred pages ago.

Current:

Preferably riding/command a Ridley for maximum effect.

Sombrerotroid:
Sombretroid.png
Hat's lines of my classic indigo font color, not that it matters since no color version.

As mentioned, whichever is fine. Can understand if you go for the easiest, whatever "fits" better, etc.

Anyway onto today's pic...the bigotry in the Miiverse comments is pretty painful to read.

Kamiko

Smash Ace
Basically we were renowned for having this nasty little habit of tearing up what was left of the mod/staff's sanity. "Clan/supporter" wars were ridiculously flame-worthy, toobig arguments pretty much derailed EVERY thread at some point, and the thread's main group/following was notorious for being an especially spammy lot of trolls if Oasis, Basket and I aren't already shining examples of that.
Suddenly I'm somewhat glad I missed out on all of that.

darksamus77

Smash Champion
NNID
darksamus77
3DS FC
3282-3124-8340

Hey, English wasn't my native language. Barely passed each semester during those years. <.< That said, I was terrible prior to taking my e-lumps during the WoR/R.I.D.L.E.Y. initiation and the joy that was post-roster leak Brawl boards.

My apologies in advance for not replying to your wall, as I had already written this out before catching up with the thread/reading Andrea's replies. I'd also like to point out that no matter how it turns out, I'm quite certain the lot of us would be so humbled that she/you took the time to do all of this and include our say in the process that we'd be grateful regardless of whether or not it's not 100% how we want it. This goes for the other regular artists/modelers as well, since they not only stick with this thread, but never cease to amaze with each new work.

As for the actual request, it's no secret that I change avi's so often that there's no real one I'm "known" for (other than Sombrerotroid I guess, since that one was commissioned by/for me specifically), so I wouldn't really mind whatever was chosen for me. References of my last 2:

Last (click for better reference):

The "M" could obviously become an R. Or the hoodie could be that Ridley one posted a few hundred pages ago.

Current:

Preferably riding/command a Ridley for maximum effect.

Sombrerotroid:
View attachment 16876
Hat's lines of my classic indigo font color, not that it matters since no color version.

As mentioned, whichever is fine. Can understand if you go for the easiest, whatever "fits" better, etc.

Anyway onto today's pic...the bigotry in the Miiverse comments is pretty painful to read.
That Sombrerotroid is badass. Almost as awesome as Mariachi Shy Guys in Paper Mario: Sticker Star. Almost.

Shuma

Smash Hero
IsmaR said:
Zoroarking said:
EDIT: Wait, they banned Ridley threads, someone could explain why?
Huh, apparently i posted in that thread way back then. I wonder if that was really my last post in the brawl days. Dark times, it's always embarrassing to read old posts.

Anyhow, i'm sure at this point it's obvious that Sakurai knows. And i for one hope that if Ridley turns out to be just a boss, he is the biggest boss imaginable.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
You know, R.O.B. really is our best friend at the moment.

He proves that Sakurai isn't afraid to show off a newcomer before actually revealing them, back in Brawl he was flat deconfirmed and proved many leaks wrong, including the real one
http://smashboards.com/threads/prophet.133207/

Can we take a moment to laugh?

Top Bottom