• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Same here, and my last comment wasn't directed so much here, but more-so other places.

@ ChozoBoy: That's pretty much what I was thinking too, or what we saw with Other M Ridley could've been some of the "genetic flaws" Gray Voice or someone was referring to here.

http://metroid.retropixel.net/comics/metroidmanga/chapter9/metroid_v2_ch9_04.jpg
No, that was referring to the same transgenic process that was first used on Samus which gave her Chozo DNA so that she could survive on Zebes. The Ridley and the new "Zebesians" got it second. That wasn't physical alterations, it was genetic. Thus, they would have transferred to the clone, anyway.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Super Metroid (aka the best game ever) is next, after that I'll probably try and play through the original Metroid just for the heck of it. Don't think I'll go through any of the Prime games considering how long they are, so I'll probably just finish the last two 2D sidescrollers, and then play some Brawl until the reveal.
No Primes? Really? From what I remember, they take like... 6 hours on average? I think you'd be doing Ridley a favor to fight a 3D model of him so that he has a chance of showing up in a 2D fighter with 3D models, you know?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
No Primes? Really? From what I remember, they take like... 6 hours on average? I think you'd be doing Ridley a favor to fight a 3D model of him so that he has a chance of showing up in a 2D fighter with 3D models, you know?
The Primes take some time for me because I haven't completed them even 1/4 as many times as the 2D sidescrollers, which I play a bunch of times a year. But you're probably right that it'd be in place to at least beat Ridley in one 3D appearance, so I'll probably try and finish Prime 1 then, given that it's also one of my favorite games of all-time, and it has my favorite Ridley fight in any of the games. It's not like Super Metroid and NES Metroid takes a lot of time anyways.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
No, that was referring to the same transgenic process that was first used on Samus which gave her Chozo DNA so that she could survive on Zebes. The Ridley and the new "Zebesians" got it second. That wasn't physical alterations, it was genetic. Thus, they would have transferred to the clone, anyway.
Ah, I see. My memory on the manga's rather sketchy aside from the main plot points, so I figured I was forgetting something. I should read it all again sometime before the 11th.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Semi-Related: If you want Ridley as an official Lego set vote for this at this link.

With Ridley in Lego and Smash Bros all I'd need is a Custom Bottle opener shaped like his mouth and I'd be set for life.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Im hoping that if hes revealed we will see a new one that says:
"Too big?"

"Didnt think so"

I imagined a scenario in the trailer where he'd fly into the scene in his regular boss size, do his "roar, screech, etc" stuff, then a Poison Mushroom would pop up over him and reduce him to a smaller size, and the "Newcomer: Ridley" banner would be shown while he'd have a pretty "Well, ****" expression.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We are less than 4.5 days away from Ridley possibly being confirmed for Smash 4. I have wanted Ridley in Smash Bros. for over a decade, and like now, honestly, there have been several points to where I actually thought he had a really good shot at getting in.

1999:

This marked the beginning of my hope for Ridley in Smash Bros. I first saw Ridley flying in the background to Planet Zebes a month or two after getting Smash 64. I thought it was peculiar that they chose to give Ridley a cameo in this game especially considering how few other characters were given cameos or mentions in a game like Smash 64. I thought that maybe the developers were also fans of Ridley like I was, and that he possibly would be included in the next game (especially if they decided to go with a heros versus villains theme). However, if the heroes vs. villains theme did not happen for Smash 64, I felt Ridley would take a backseat to them adding new characters from series like Mario (Bowser, Peach, Wario), DK (Diddy Kong), Zelda (Zelda, Ganondorf), Kirby (King Dedede), and Pokemon (Mewtwo/Meowth).

2001:

The E3 2001 unveil for Melee is where Ridley really became my single most wanted character for Smash Bros. Ridley being shown fighting Samus not only convinced me that the developers really did like Ridley, but that Ridley had a good chance of being in the actual Melee. I felt the combination of Ridley's cameo in Smash 64, the Ridley vs. Samus part in the trailer, and the two new Metroid games that were in development, meant that there was a good chance Ridley would be one of hidden characters we would get.

However, as with Smash 64, I did have my doubts about Ridley getting in as well. When the character selection screen was first shown, there were only five hidden character boxes. I assumed that two out of three of them were Luigi and Jigglypuff (whom a lot of people thought was going to be cut to be honest, though I personally thought Jigglypuff would return), while the last three were Ganondorf, a Pokemon newcomer (Mewtwo/Meowth or a second-generation Pokemon like Heracross), and one out of Diddy Kong/Wario/King Dedede (I was personally leaning towards King Dedede).

Due to the high competition, and so few hidden character boxes, I thought Ridley may not get in for Melee. As it turned out, there were a lot more hidden characters than the ones confined to the hidden character boxes. Although I had my doubts about Ridley getting in, I was still nevertheless disappointed that he did not get in.

2006:

More than four years after the release of Melee, Ridley had become one of the most wanted characters for Smash Bros. 3, possibly even within the Top 5 overall (I know characters like Wario, Diddy Kong, Meta Knight, Pit, Wolf, King Dedede, and Ridley were all among the most wanted characters at the time, and I forget the specific order for them, though I know Wario was at the top). I felt that for Smash Bros. 3's unveil that it could be very much Ridley's time.

I knew at the very least that we would get Wario (due to him being the single most wanted newcomer for Smash 3), Pit (due to him being by far the most wanted retro revival character and Sakurai showing a a preference for reviving old Nintendo characters with the IC and Mr. G&W in Melee), and one of Meta Knight/King Dedede (I felt a Kirby newcomer was long overdue especially considering the Kirby creator himself was behind Smash Bros., and I felt Meta Knight's chance was better due to return to prominence with Nightmare in Dream Land having a mode where you can play as Meta Knight, being playable in Air Ride, being an integral character in the Amazing Mirror, being playable in Canvas Curse, and being the most popularly requested Kirby character).

I felt the fourth character in the unveil (Melee had four characters in its unveil) would be Ridley due to how much attention the developers gave him in the previous two Smash Bros. games, the high demand he had, as well as the return to prominence of the Metroid series (six new Metroid games had been released after Melee).

It turned out that I was right in my predictions (with the exception of Snake), however, while I was right about the reason why we got a Metroid character (the series becoming far more popular with its revival), I was wrong about WHO it was going to be.

Needless, to say I was very disappointed they went with a fanservice character over Samus's arch-nemesis. However, I was definitely not disappointed with the Brawl unveil, considering I got some of my most wanted characters for Smash Bros. (Wario, Pit, and Meta Knight). However, Zero Suit Samus's addition to me was worse than Dr. Mario or Pichu, because not only was it Sakurai's idea of giving Metroid its due but also one of the other reasons he used for including her, was what made many of the pre-Brawl female newcomer fanbases so crazed, loud, and arrogant.

However, with Wario, Meta Knight, and Pit out of the picture, Ridley was solidified into the Top 5 most wanted characters for Brawl (I think after the announcement the Top 5 was pretty much Sonic, Diddy Kong, Ridley, King Dedede, and either Mega Man or Wolf).

2007:

Pretty much I thought Ridley still had a really good shot at getting in because of how highly requested he was, his overall importance to Metroid, and that ZSS for many was not really a true newcomer.

However, as things dragged on towards the last six months prior to Brawl's release (beginning in August 2007), I started to (like with pre-Melee) privately have doubts about Ridley getting in. The beginning of this was pretty much the confirmation of bosses for Brawl.

I thought at this point, that there was feasibly another position for Ridley within Smash Bros. that Sakurai would think Ridley could fulfill. I thought Ridley was either going to be a playable character or a boss, and I honestly felt it could go either way (50/50 for playable or boss).

With the second round of newcomers we were getting, I became more nervous with each each newcomer update that was not Ridley.

As some of you know, I was also at the forefront of the roster leaks, and I was the one to piece together what Brawl's roster would probably be based on what various "prophets" who had been vindicated up until that point, had been saying.

This was a roster that did not have Ridley. I was pretty distraught, though I held out on some hope that there were some details that the leakers did not know. By mid-January though (about two weeks prior to the Japanese release of Brawl), I had already been privately convinced that Ridley was not going to be in Brawl.

It was there that I started to plan ahead, and help further fortify Ridley's position as one of the most wanted newcomers, if not the single most wanted newcomer.

2008:

Unlike many other characters, Ridley's position as among one of the most wanted newcomers for Smash Bros. did not disappear. He still remained among the Top 3 most wanted newcomers for Smash Bros., and in some polls he was even the single most wanted character.

I felt at this point that Ridley would definitely be a character chosen for Smash 4 due to how few notable characters left.

2013:

Throughout the long pre-Smash 4 period, Ridley has maintained his position of being the single most wanted true Nintendo newcomer for Smash 4.

Nearly all fan rosters for Smash 4 have Ridley as one of the characters on it.

In terms of veteran characters from veteran Nintendo franchises, no character left has the starpower that Ridley has. Even K. Rool is not quite up to where Ridley is within the Metroid series, and Palutena is a relatively "new" character. Outside of K. Rool and Palutena, you get into side character territory for the veteran franchises.

I feel Ridley as a character, would be the perfect choice for one of the few newcomer confirmations for the Smash 4 unveil, not only due to his very high popularity and extremely high importance to Metroid, but also due what a great cinematic character would be. People who know nothing about who Ridley is, will easily be captivated by him, "Oh look at that badass dragon, I want to play as him."

However, like with previous epochs, I do see ways for which again for Ridley not to show up. The two ways I can see it are:
1. Sakurai feels K. Rool fills the villain niche better than Ridley (however, I think K. Rool is overall a very comical character as opposed to a serious villain).
2. Sakurai feels Little Mac fills the "caters extremely to the Western crowd" better than Ridley (I think though Ridley has better potential to captivate the Japanese audience than Little Mac would).

Overall, I am expecting this pool of characters to consist of Smash 4's first set of newcomers:

2-4 of these characters:
Ridley
Takamaru
Palutena
Little Mac
K. Rool
Mewtwo

Conventional third-party newcomers (only 1-2 of the below list):
Mega Man
Pac-Man
Lloyd Irving or Cless Alvein

"Shock" third-party newcomers (only one of them, however, personally I don't think any of them would be shocking aside from maybe Cloud, since there is at least a sizable number of people asking for them and/or thinks they have a shot of being a darkhorse third-party newcomer):
Cloud
Professor Layton
Geno
Bayonetta
Ryu Hayabusa

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
I imagined a scenario in the trailer where he'd fly into the scene in his regular boss size, do his "roar, screech, etc" stuff, then a Poison Mushroom would pop up over him and reduce him to a smaller size, and the "Newcomer: Ridley" banner would be shown while he'd have a pretty "Well, ****" expression.
Haha that's great. Hope so.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I purchased Super Metroid on Wii Shop last year and it's been collecting dust since then. All this "Y Cant Metroid Crawl" talk on Miiverse made me decide to play Super Metroid for the first time ever. Sure, I am 19 years late to the party but who cares? After changing the button layout so I can play comfortably with the Gamecube controller, I found myself enjoying the game. I really like it a lot.

Since I don't have rose-colored nostalgic glasses for this game (I do with Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion), I thought it was near perfect. The levels and everything appear to be superb but I missed the Spider Ball upgrade from Metroid Prime (and Metroid II, I downloaded it from eShop ;)) and I really don't like wall-jumping technique. It feels sloppy compared to Mega Man X (and that game came out a year before Super Metroid). The Grappling Beam is a good concept but the controls/physics felt a bit off compared to the whip swinging in Super Castlevania IV (and that game came out 3 years earlier).

Anyway, I have been playing the game for the last couple days. I am not finished with the game but I beat all the bosses but I still need to get down to Tourian and find Mother Brain. My current time is 8:18 and I JUST beat Ridley. I have all the power-ups and I currently have 11 Energy Tanks, 3 Reserve Tanks, 175 Missiles, 40 Super Missiles, and 45 Power Bombs. I am not concerned about getting 100% nor getting the best ending. This is only my first time and I just want to beat the game. It seems that I am better with 2D Metroid games than with 3D Metroid games.

Do I support Ridley? Not necessarily. I am indifferent towards Ridley but I acknowledge he would be a good addition to the roster but I would not get butthurt if he wasn't playable. This probably stems from my not having rose-colored nostalgic glasses for the Metroid series since I started playing Metroid games in 2002.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
TOO BIG not TO BE IN SMASH BABY!!!

Let's ride this hype train DRAGON BALL Z for all it's worth!!!! :shades:

@ Chrono
Ridley and K. Rool are polar opposites, and I think Sakurai recognizes that. Those two are pretty much to Smash 4 what Wario, Diddy Kong, and King Dedede were to Brawl: Absolutely necessary Nintendo-owned characters. I'd probably also add Mewtwo to that same category.
That would be amazing.

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Trying to play through as many Metroid games featuring Ridley as I can before E3, let's just say I believe in lucky charms.

I completed both Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission in one sitting today. Finished Fusion at the time of 1:58, which isn't too shabby since it isn't one of the games I've completed that many times. Completed Zero Mission at the time of 1:13, which is pretty slow considering I normally complete it in under an hour, even without using shortcuts, but I wanted to enjoy the ride more this time instead of just rushing through it, which I ironically still ended up doing.

Super Metroid (aka the best game ever) is next, after that I'll probably try and play through the original Metroid just for the heck of it. Don't think I'll go through any of the Prime games considering how long they are, so I'll probably just finish the last two 2D sidescrollers, and then play some Brawl until the reveal.

The hype is through the roof.
Cool, I actually just completed Metroid Prime yesterday, took me about 12 hours. Yeah, I took me sweet time. And I hadn't played it since 2004. Simply an amazing game.
Getting real big into Metroid again.

Anyway, whatever design they go for with Ridley in Smash, one things for sure, Prime series got his eyes down. He look sinister as all hell. So as long as they include those eyes, I'll be happy. Like some sort of cross between classic ridley and meta ridley, that would be fine.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Nintendo just posted an E3 Miiverse community and already I'm arguing with people about Ridley. Life is good.

Does no one else have a Wii U yet?

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Nintendo just posted an E3 Miiverse community and already I'm arguing with people about Ridley. Life is good.

Does no one else have a Wii U yet?
So there are more Ridley detractors than Ridley supporters in the E3 Miiverse? Pathetic.

I am curious what kind of characters this crowd actually supports.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Wow almost less than 5 days, hard to believe man.

Anyway as far as ridley's design and look goes, am i the only who has always thought that ridley had a sort of xenomorph look to his body (not his head wings or tail), but his skin to his boney structure always reminded me of that. And we know metroid his heavily influenced by alien so i figured it was intentional, hes definitely got that HR Giger look in his design in some aspects. While the metroids were obviously inspired by the face huggers i feel like ridley was sort of samus's xenomorph counterpart (with all the other metroid forms accounting for the rest like the queen). Its not that far out there i suppose, ive even stumbled upon metroid and alien combo art

Tweezer Salad

Smash Apprentice
Calling it now. Miis, Waluigi, and Krystal.
lol, I see what you mean.

Mii's represent what I don't like about modern Nintendo. Something about them just rub me the wrong way, but I wont go into that.
Waluigi aint that bad, but he just makes me think of Mario party and sports games post N64 era. Not really important to Nintendo's history.
And I have a hard time believing all Krystal's diehard supporters are hardcore starfox fans and more just Deviantart users. Just don't believe that theres that many Adventures and Assault fans out there.

I'm shocked though theres people who don't want Ridley. Is there any other factors other than the size issue that are being talked about
Maybe him being playable would take away the epic evil factor to some diehard metroid fans or something. I don't understand it, but some people are different I guess.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Pretty much.

No Metroid fan seriously thinks that way, though. Any diehard Metroid fans would want to see him playable, not demote him to boss status. I've never heard a diehard Fire Emblem: Awakening fan beg for Chrom to be an Assist Trophy because being playable would take away from the savior factor, for example. It literally has to be a bunch of kids that believe that the whole "Ridley is too big" argument is the only argument that needs to be said to exclude him. I bet none of them have seriously even played a Metroid game.

In fact, I'm going to check out the E3 Miiverse Community now, just because it's lurking with people like them.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
So there are more Ridley detractors than Ridley supporters in the E3 Miiverse? Pathetic.

It's hard to say really. There are certainly those that support my "Ridley for Smash" statements with "yeahs" but only a few people ever respond saying if they want him or not. I've noticed as far as comments are concerned its pretty split down the middle.

All the usual arguments of course. Though my favorite was Ridley wouldn't work because in the story mode he is a mindless dragon who wouldn't work with the other enemies. Hahaha.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Ridley is one of the most popular choices, but like all things popular, he has many detractors too.

He's not the only popular character who has a lot of detractors.

K.Rool has the "not relevant anymore" crowd.
Palutena has the "KI doesn't need another character" crowd.
Megaman has the "Capcom hates Megaman" crowd.
Mewtwo has the "Need less Gen 1 Pokemon" crowd.

Detractors aren't unique to Ridley alone. It's just that the "too big" argument is so infamous that more people think about it then other arguments. Know what I mean?

Either way. What do you think guys(and specifically Chrono too)? You think the Ridley detractors will change anything?

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

I'd like to see an effort to get SWF's voices onto Miiverse, with support for the popular characters with frequent detractors. At least to nullify the stupid. While I never really see people outside of SWF (and Game****s, detracting against K. Rool, I sometimes see "He's owned by Rare, right?") so people just need to be aware before too much misinformation gets spread around.

I'm totally in sync with Habenero's sig right now. Remember folks, we have 4 days, and Nintendo is watching.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
If Ridley detractors/supporters had any effect on the teams decision to include him, its been decided a long time ago. If he is in the game no amount of fan outrage would remove him from the game. If we learned next week there would be no Ridley it would take an extremely large amount of fans to convince them to add him.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
If Ridley detractors/supporters had any effect on the teams decision to include him, its been decided a long time ago. If he is in the game no amount of fan outrage would remove him from the game. If we learned next week there would be no Ridley it would take an extremely large amount of fans to convince them to add him.

It's true enough. I guess I just get tired of seeing uninformed opinions everywhere and want them all to just stop. But I'm not going to change the world, and I'm sure the roster (and character designs) have already been 99% finalized. (Remember, it's been in development for ~16 months) so there's that.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
So I just posted on Miiverse less than 10 minutes ago.

So far, it's got nothing but 'Yeahs'. More than 13 so far.

I even made a comment directing people to think about his size in Melee's opening. :)

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

I even made a comment directing people to think about his size in Melee's opening. :)
I'll assume that "yeahs" are good.

At least they're not saying no, right?

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Right.

Though I have a comment from a guy named Patrick saying "his design wouldn't fit very well in smash". Ugh.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493

Hell yeah! Make people think smart! :shades:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
He said "would he blend well though?"

I replied with "No worse than a big spiky turtle, a tall robot, a realistic super soldier, and a pink puffball do."

Edit: Here's a hilarious conversation elsewhere on Miiverse.

Matt: I don't think Sakurai knows who Mr. Peanut is...
Chadd: ha ha!
Laurent: Use the force, Luke ^_^

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Well, my non-fancy K. Rool 4 Smash post got 6 yeahs in 3 minutes. We'll see where this goes. I may give the King a proper drawn bit like he deserves later.

Edit: 8 now. My faith is being restored!

Top Bottom