• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DKC and Metroid both warrant 4 playable characters, and Samus and Zero Suit Samus will probably forever share their spot on the select screen. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Vaztor

BRoomer
BRoomer
As for his lack of playability in Brawl, all it really comes down to is that he was put under the boot of admittedly more important characters like Wario and Dedede, and that he was scrapped to the side for being a boss. Ridley didn't have as high a demand as other characters pre-Melee, and that's the statistics Sakurai could work from during Brawl's development. Given that Ridley was one of the most anticipated characters for Brawl, the statistics have taken a turn, and maybe now he sees the immense demand. I think that Ridley's got another shot for SSB4, there's not as much competition from important characters this time around like there was with Brawl. However, if he doesn't make it into SSB4 that'll definitely be the nail in the coffin.

Also, during the pre-Brawl days the place known as Brawl Central, which has sadly melted away with time, also had enormous demand for Ridley as a character. Shortiecanbrawl has a poll up on this forum where he gathers info from many different places, and I believe Ridley ranks at 3rd place, with only Mega Man and Mewtwo beating him. This place isn't the only place that wants Ridley, that's for sure.

Btw, I'm glad that you aren't just a regular hater and actually bring up some arguments. I don't agree with them, but I don't see the reason you were attacked when you dropped into this thread honestly. A little respect both ways makes for a good discussion.

Thanks :) I agree. I would prefer the Ridley discussion to all go this way.

I remember Ridley being requested by fans along the likes of Metaknight and Dedede and Wario all the way back before Melee. I can't vouch for if he was majorly popular choice cause I really didn't know who he was back then, but I do recall his name popping up with the other key players. I just go back to my point about ZSS. Sakurai specifically stated he added her to add more characters from the Metroid franchise, at a time when Ridley was one of the most anticipated characters from our perspective. I always felt that was a pretty clear indicator of where his head was at on the subject.

Honestly though, we have to consider "highly requested" and "most anticipated" in the proper context as well. Just because it's the way we perceive it on English forums doesn't mean that's the way it is in Japan, or that it's the way that Sakurai gauges a characters popularity. (Prior to Brawl and Melee, I'm pretty sure Sakurai had open submissions for fan requests but I think it was Japanese only). I just think it's hard to gauge that measurement outside of the limited perspective bubble we have on these forums. Although who knows. Maybe Ridley has a huge Japanese movement.

But anyways, I feel as if I've said all that I can at this point, and a good chunk of questions will be answered in around 8 days. So let's just enjoy the E3 hype train from here on out :)

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
Yeah right, you think sakurai is gonna lay two big guns down in the beginning, I dont think so.
i thought both meta knight and wario could count as 'big guns'. that didn't stop him from putting them in the brawl trailer...

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
We could get Ridley next week. Its really going to feel like the end to an era if/when Ridley is finally confirmed. We just got to get through this week. One last push. The die has already been cast, its all up to next week whether we find out whether our battle has at long last finally been won.

As someone who has supported Ridley since the very beginning, each days crawls more slowly than the last. However, the key is just getting through this week. I have a feeling that the first few days of next week are going to roll by very quickly.

The fanbases to 3-5 characters are going to have their dreams realized next week. Hopefully, the Ridley fanbase will be among them.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
We could get Ridley next week. Its really going to feel like the end to an era if/when Ridley is finally confirmed. We just got to get through this week. One last push. The die has already been cast, its all up to next week whether we find out whether our battle has at long last finally been won.

As someone who has supported Ridley since the very beginning, each days crawls more slowly than the last. However, the key is just getting through this week. I have a feeling that the first few days of next week are going to roll by very quickly.

The fanbases to 3-5 characters are going to have their dreams realized next week. Hopefully, the Ridley fanbase will be among them.
wait. its only next week? ITS ONLY NEXT WEEK? ITS ONLY NEXT WEEEK?

remind me why I didn't realise it until now?

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman

I wouldn't get too hyped. If it turns out to be a gameplay demonstration or something you'll be destroyed after so much anticipation.
However, I do think we'll be seeing Ridley in the trailer. His visual appeal in a trailer is just too good to pass up, something most other candidates don't have.

Neanderthal

★ ★ ★ ★ ★
wait. its only next week? ITS ONLY NEXT WEEK? ITS ONLY NEXT WEEEK?

remind me why I didn't realise it until now?
Don't worry. Now that you know and are eagerly waiting for it, it will seem like a month anyway.

I wouldn't get too hyped. If it turns out to be a gameplay demonstration or something you'll be destroyed after so much anticipation.
However, I do think we'll be seeing Ridley in the trailer. His visual appeal in a trailer is just too good to pass up, something most other candidates don't have.
While I agree with you, I'm not sure Sakurai see's it that way.
I think he might be saved as an unlockable and not revealed till release.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yeah, Sakurai is the headmaster, unless Namco makes a suggestion he thinks sounds cool I don't see them having much of a saying in what will be in the trailer and how it's presented.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Each day goes so slowly. I really can't wait until next week. I have been anxiously awaiting a new possible confirmation point for Ridley for over 5.5 years. Later this week I might write a post reflecting on previous points where I anticipated Ridley becoming playable.

We are just counting down days at this point. By the end of this week we will be counting down hours.

I am not just interested in whether Ridley will finally be confirmed for Smash 4, but also how Sakurai will implement him and interpret him, and what his design will be.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It doesn't go by slowly when you have a major project and a paper due by the end of the quarter...

Days are going by too fast!

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
Its really going to feel like the end to an era if/when Ridley is finally confirmed.
I'm sorry but that was the best line I've read in a thread on here ever. Props to you.

As for "Big guns" Pit was a bit of a big gun as well, but really, I don't know who to expect in the trailer around. I'd prefer K. Rool getting trailer'd just to see how they redesign him and all but Ridley would b enice just to get it out of the way. Choices...

ONE WEEK LEFT

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Each day goes so slowly. I really can't wait until next week. I have been anxiously awaiting a new possible confirmation point for Ridley for over 5.5 years. Later this week I might write a post reflecting on previous points where I anticipated Ridley becoming playable.

We are just counting down days at this point. By the end of this week we will be counting down hours.

I am not just interested in whether Ridley will finally be confirmed for Smash 4, but also how Sakurai will implement him and interpret him, and what his design will be.
I can see we both are impatient. I'm supposed to focus on a test and all, but the chance of Ridley being playable just zerges through my head constantly. I hope we're not setting ourselves up for a dissapointment on the 11th, but hey, can't help it, it was exactly the same back in the pre-Brawl days.

Btw, I'm just gonna borrow your idea of changing avatar leading up to the trailer, except I'm gonna do it each day given the short amount of time left, and only with his Metroid appearances, just to not be a total rip-off. I figured it might bring us some luck, so why not.

God Robert's Cousin

Smash Hero
NNID
RepaignPalsims
3DS FC
4339-2483-2603
Ridley or K. Rool for the opening trailer?

So anyway, let us say Ridley does get confirmed in the trailer. Everyone's happy, Metroid has a new rep., etc. But I often wonder, would it be likely that Metroid would get the same treatment Kirby did in Brawl and get a second character later? Metroid really needs it, after all. Would another Metroid character after Ridley fit in, or would they just bloat the series' presence in the roster?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077

So anyway, let us say Ridley does get confirmed in the trailer. Everyone's happy, Metroid has a new rep., etc. But I often wonder, would it be likely that Metroid would get the same treatment Kirby did in Brawl and get a second character later? Metroid really needs it, after all. Would another Metroid character after Ridley fit in, or would they just bloat the series' presence in the roster?
I'd say that a third rep is not overpopulating metroid, but IDK who would fit.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Ridley is all Metroid needs to be "complete" in my opinion. I think most Metroid and Smash Bros. fans feel the same way too.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Found some adorable fanart of our purple friend:

I really loved how Brawl brought in a lot of fan works. People just loved seeing these characters interacting together. Like they weren't even necessarily the characters just put together, they were often very Brawl-centric in their depictions. I expect Smash 4 to be received just as well, and I really can't wait to see how Ridley will fit into all the fan works. I'll probably be contributing, so I guess I'll have a say in that myself, lol.

By the way I feel Dark Samus would "complete" Metroid for Smash, but I doubt it would be worth it since I doubt Sakurai would treat her the way her fans wish for.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I am still interested to see what design is chosen for Ridley. My guess is either Other M or a variation of the design that appeared in Brawl.

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Ridley is all Metroid needs to be "complete" in my opinion. I think most Metroid and Smash Bros. fans feel the same way too.
Definitely agree, at this point he is the only nintendo villain i feel absolutely needs to make it in above all others now. Sakurai knows we are here since he acknowledged him in some way when asked, he knows we want him, and ridley has been consistent in his appearances for quite a while within his own series and nintendo. its high time it happened.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would :joyful: if Ridley appears in his Other M incarnation. It would be a bittersweet victory for Ridley fans. :troll:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I would :joyful: if Ridley appears in his Other M incarnation. It would be a bittersweet victory for Ridley fans. :troll:
Then that would mean the game would have Samus's Other M incarnation as well, resulting in her not being able to do a lot of moves (whether in armor or Zero Suit form) without Adam's approval, making it a major nerf for those who play with her. :troll:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Then that would mean the game would have Samus's Other M incarnation as well, resulting in her not being able to do a lot of moves (whether in armor or Zero Suit form) without Adam's approval, making it a major nerf for those who play with her. :troll:
Hell, her Final Smash could be getting permission from Adam to use her special moves. :troll:

MagnesD3

Smash Master

Thank you for using el dorado.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I am still interested to see what design is chosen for Ridley. My guess is either Other M or a variation of the design that appeared in Brawl.

I'm gonna guess it would be the Super Metroid/Brawl design. Ridley's Other M model would be very hard to fit in since it follows Other M's vastly different style. On top of that the game suffered from subpar sales and harsh criticism. Plus, the SM design is his most iconic and recognizable one, which is why they chose it in Brawl. Same goes for Samus, given that she never has the Varia Suit and big shoulders at the same time in ZM.

Top Bottom