• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Though I didn't find the story in Other M appealing at all, it wasn't my big quarrel with the game. A big problem was that you were often surrounded by other people, and you had some characters to interact with, while that's a weird complain, it takes away the Metroid atmosphere as we all know it. Prime 3 did the same thing, but not to such a great extent. In Metroid I want to be the bounty hunter who's alone on a planet and experience things at my own pace, it's my mission. Now despite Samus' completely weird characterization, that wasn't what really made me hate the story segments, it was the damn dialog, no line felt or sounded believable, it was like a bad movie. It's a shame, because the gameplay was pretty good, it had some enjoyable and action-packed bosses, but it always had to make some damn mistake right afterwards, whether it was those incredibly stupid first person views where you gotta point your cursor at a little pixel for eternity to get past it, or some cheesy story segment.

Metroid Prime is a grand example of how to make a story in Metroid. It's optional, and discovered through scans, it's not forced upon you, and the atmosphere of the game makes it work. I was much more interested about the story in that game than I was in Other M, where I was just waiting for those bad scenes to be over with. And it's a shame, because as I said, the gameplay was great, but the game had to be ruined by Sakamoto forcing this stupid story upon us, I wish that he was trying to make a game and not a movie. Don't get me wrong on that one, I love good stories in games, but this one didn't do anything to catch my attention, it made me cringe and made me want to stop playing.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
This is all I have to say on the matter.

To each their own, but having read the manga, being a really big lore nerd (particularly with the tie-in to Metroid II, III and IV (Super and Fusion)), and having never really seen Samus as the role-model/the wo-manly strong independent black woman character everyone else believes she is, I really enjoyed it.

Off the record, I've always seen her for what she really is, not for what people assume: the strong silent type with as messed-up a past as it gets nowadays. When you're playing the games you rarely see what she's feeling, thinking, or even doing with her face under the suit, aside from a few cut-scenes/monologues in the beginning. She could be the most stereo-typical girly (join the club, at that) under there, she still gets **** done and blows up planets along the way. That's what I love about her.
Couldn't agree more.

And about the comment on Samus needing to be saved by the "big strong man", if whoever said that meant Anthony, well... It's not like she didn't ever save him herself.

Ridley's wing skin is always undamaged, I think, except in Other M. That's a possible design choice to incoporate, if they put destructable parts in like Brawl intended to.
Yeah, I'd love if they did that with his wings when getting heavily damaged as him, and it shouldn't matter what design of his they use when incorporating that.

Kinda think it would've been cool too if Meta-Ridley's wing skin in the first Prime had gotten damaged the same way, instead of the wings "burning out" completely once he was in the last quarter of his health bar.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
Hmmm, was thinking about it the other day, and now I'm pretty convinced that, when you frame it as K. Rool vs Ridley, Ridley would definitely be a starter before K. Rool, and would also be the better pick as trailer material.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
I'd really just prefer the two most wanted Nintendo newbies just be starters. Please. I'd rather not have to deal with the suspense.

Oasis_S

Smash Legend
3DS FC
0087-2694-8630
It's a fair point that Mewtwo and Mega Man, the two ACTUALLY MOST-WANTED CHARACTERS, are already destined to be hidden. Mewtwo likely by tradition, and Mega Man by rule.

Could be that they're big enough "HIDDEN SURPRISES" that Ridley and K. Rool wouldn't matter so much.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Ridley is trailer material. Not only can they make him look big and awesome with his wings spreading out, much like Meta Knight, but he's been so hyped that he'd be the perfect candidate to hype the game up, be on the box art, etc. K. Rool is much like Dedede, very hyped, but how epic can he exactly look in a trailer? Making Ridley an unlockable would be weird from a business standpoint, but given that all villains minus Bowser have been unlockable up 'till this point it's not unlikely either. Though Ganondorf and Wolf were likely unlockables because they're semi-clones.

That doesn't mean I'll lose hope if he doesn't show up in the trailer, and my gut tells me to not expect him in the trailer.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Ridley is trailer material. Not only can they make him look big and awesome with his wings spreading out, much like Meta Knight, but he's been so hyped that he'd be the perfect candidate to hype the game up, be on the box art, etc. K. Rool is much like Dedede, very hyped, but how epic can he exactly look in a trailer? Making Ridley an unlockable would be weird from a business standpoint, but given that all villains minus Bowser have been unlockable up 'till this point it's not unlikely either. Though Ganondorf and Wolf were likely unlockables because they're semi-clones.

That doesn't mean I'll lose hope if he doesn't show up in the trailer, and my gut tells me to not expect him in the trailer.

Hey, Dedede and Wario weren't unlockable, actually, so that might count for something. I think Mewtwo's the only fully-original character villain that was unlockable, honestly. Wolf and Dorf are borrowing some things, and if K. Rool and Ridley borrowed things...that'd be really, really silly.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Well, Marth is also a unique yet unlockable character.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hey, Dedede and Wario weren't unlockable, actually, so that might count for something. I think Mewtwo's the only fully-original character villain that was unlockable, honestly. Wolf and Dorf are borrowing some things, and if K. Rool and Ridley borrowed things...that'd be really, really silly.
Dedede and Wario are more anti-heroes than anything though. Wario only does evil things if there's money or power involved, if not then he won't care, and Dedede wasn't even portrayed as a bad guy in SSE, if anything he was portrayed as the ultimate good guy. But yeah, I see the point, and it's probably a silly comparison.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord

I disagree with Wolf being considered a semi-clone, considering that his Final Smash is the only move he has that is close to Fox's. Even his B moves look and function relatively differently (just different enough to be unique, but close enough to tell you that they're rivals.)

That said, I agree that Ridley would make a cool box art rep. I actually think that putting him in the trailer and then making him the last unlockable would be a great way to hype him up even more and make him feel as special and awesome as the fans want him to be.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I don't care who they unveil. They revealed Snake and Sonic, and they were still unlockable.

I personally hope every non-Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl starter is unlockable. But really unlockable, not just "beat SSE once/play 10 matches" crap. I remember playing 20 hours just to unlock Mewtwo in Melee made me appreciate him all the more.

Nonetheless, at least hinting towards or briefly showing who made the cut (insert Ridley here pl0x) would make for some good hype.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Sooo...how about that Ridley heh? Cool space dragon thing...

Naa being serious though If Mewtwo/K Rool/Ridley if none of them make a show in the trailer i would be dissapointed..

Could you say that its 100/ certain that one of them will show?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I disagree with Wolf being considered a semi-clone, considering that his Final Smash is the only move he has that is close to Fox's. Even his B moves look and function relatively differently (just different enough to be unique, but close enough to tell you that they're rivals.)

I usually call Wolf a semi-clone because his specials are based off of Fox', but still function different. Much like Luigi, Falco and Ganondorf. He is definitely the "clone" who is closest to being unique except Luigi though.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Could you say that its 100/ certain that one of them will show?
I mean, unfortunately we don't even know *what* will be shown in the trailer. All we can do is look at past trends, etc.

I'd say it's about 90% certain we'll see at least ONE of those three in the trailer, but that's presuming it'll be a trailer like those past. (Which I also think is likely. Those are hype-tastic.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I don't care who they unveil. They revealed Snake and Sonic, and they were still unlockable.

I personally hope every non-Smash 64, Melee, and Brawl starter is unlockable. But really unlockable, not just "beat SSE once/play 10 matches" crap. I remember playing 20 hours just to unlock Mewtwo in Melee made me appreciate him all the more.
I just left the gamecube on all night.

On one hand I'd love to see Ridley in the trailer
On the other hand I'd love to unlock Ridley
My third hand is crazy and killed the other two already please help me

Also, by marth, do you guys mean marth? or... that fe awakening spoilers character? I have a friend who is convinced one is replacing the other.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I just left the gamecube on all night.

On one hand I'd love to see Ridley in the trailer
On the other hand I'd love to unlock Ridley
My third hand is crazy and killed the other two already please help me

Also, by marth, do you guys mean marth? or... that fe awakening spoilers character? I have a friend who is convinced one is replacing the other.
Marth will never be replaced. At least not if Sakurai has any sense. He's extremely popular and is by far the most important character to Fire Emblem. And he's a two-time veteran. He's not going anywhere.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
If you have been waiting for a playable version of Ridley since 1999 like I have, you would be crossing your fingers and hoping Ridley shows up in the E3 2013 trailer as much as I am. I know some of you are fine with waiting with another 1.5 years for Ridley (those who rather see him as a hidden character), but for myself and many others, we have waited LONG ENOUGH.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Marth will never be replaced. At least not if Sakurai has any sense. He's extremely popular and is by far the most important character to Fire Emblem. And he's a two-time veteran. He's not going anywhere.
You never know...

For what it's worth, I don't see Ridley being unlockable if included.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I want to know something.

I know Metroid: Other M didn't sell too well, but....

Did it bomb?

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
If you have been waiting for a playable version of Ridley since 1999 like I have, you would be crossing your fingers and hoping Ridley shows up in the E3 2013 trailer as much as I am. I know some of you are fine with waiting with another 1.5 years for Ridley (those who rather see him as a hidden character), but for myself and many others, we have waited LONG ENOUGH.
And I thought having waited since 2004 was a long time, damn.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Having more or less waited as long as Chrono, being constantly reminded of how long it's been makes the wait for E3/my birthday all the more unbearable right now despite how close around the corner it is... Dammit.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Going from the still image, I believe it was.

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
Might have been uploaded already.

"But Ridley's too big! If you shrunk him down to the size of a Smash character he'd look just wrong!"

Lol. As if we needed any further evidence that argument was always a load of nonsense. He looks just fine in that video, if you ask me!

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
His neck looks a little silly in that hack

They curved it wrong. Ridley's neck protrudes forward and bends backwards, not some kind of forward bend thing

D

Deleted member

I think they fixed it, since I remember a texture hack for that model based on Other M that seemed to have fixed the neck.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
In general the animations and model for that hack are really weird and off. While Ridley could look great in Smash, that hack certainly doesn't show it.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
I mean, I agree with that. was just my friends idea. Apparently Lucina is spectacularly popular. idk.

By the way, kotaku's been doing a little series on sm4sh newcomers, and most of them have been silly, downright laughable.

Today they did Ridley. I didn't even read it, I probably have seen all the info 10x over.

Thought I'd share, though

http://tay.kotaku.com/challenger-approaching-deep-space-threat-509953779

Top Bottom