• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I was going to facetiously talk about how K. Rool being invincible while wearing a crown only he can remove is canon, but that takes the cake.
Dude because those are two most wanted Nintendo-owned newcomers BY FAR!!!

They're both classic villains that would quite frankly be perfect for Smash Bros!

They both added needed variety to the roster, and yet strangely, fit perfectly in with the rest of the roster.

LaniusShrike

Smash Champion
So like...what happens if Ridley is not in the trailer/announced.....

I think there'd only be cause to worry if Ridley's shown cinematically in the trailer but not labelled as a newcomer. Otherwise, he might just be announced later/unlockable.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Plus, if Retro Studio's new game that "everyone wants us to make" is a Metroid game, which seems pretty unavoidable right now, they could always use the upcoming designs, because no way can a new Ridley design be as bad as the Other M one where he looked like an overgrown chicken (which was essentially what he was I guess.)
I don't think I would consider Retro's new game being another Metroid unavoidable. I mean after Prime 3 which was quite criticized compared to its predecessors, how would another Metroid by Retro be something that "everyone wants" at this point? I doubt they'll top the first Prime anyway. Its sequels sure didn't.

wow, I just realized retro pretty much is single-handedly saving both of the two series that the top 2 nintendo newcomers are from. gg, retro, gg.
Others may not feel that way though because of the tikis. lol

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I don't think I would consider Retro's new game being another Metroid unavoidable. I mean after Prime 3 which was quite criticized compared to its predecessors, how would another Metroid by Retro be something that "everyone wants" at this point? I doubt they'll top the first Prime anyway. Its sequels sure didn't.
Well, Retro's big breakthrough was the first Prime. I really don't know what other kind of game people would really want Retro to make other than Metroid. I'd personally love if they did what they did with DKCR, and what Nintendo has been doing with Mario and Kirby lately, and made a Metroid 3D sidescroller, to finally go back to the roots.

And yes, I completely agree that the first one is their masterpiece, and I highly doubt they'll ever top it, considering it's my second favorite game of all-time (only next to Super Metroid.) However, Prime 3 wasn't criticized so heavily that it's being shunned like Other M. If anything we desperately need Retro to come back to Metroid and save it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I meant like not show up at all...but yeah ok...
Someone is going to have to console Chrono as he's curled up in the fetal position then... :troll:

If he's somehow not playable there's going to be a whole lot of pissed off people, but I'd say it would be the nail in the coffin for his future chances, because the only reason I can imagine him not being included is because Sakurai found it unfeasible. Unless ofc someone else works on SSB5 or something.

Other M left such a terrible taste in some peoples' mouths a lot of them have now overlooked almost all the flaws from the Prime games they might've once complained about. :smirk::rolleyes:
Plus people always want moar and moar. They're insatiable and impossible to please. I can understand why they want more Prime though, I'd say a Prime 4 would still turn out better than other studio's attempts at a 3D Metroid. Personally I'd rather have a return to the 2Ds (on 3DS preferably), it's been much too long since we got one.

In any case, I also doubt Retro's game is Metroid. My guess is Starfox. I'd be content with either, but I kinda miss SF. ;)

Others may not feel that way though because of the tikis. lol
While I obviously like the Rare-made DK games the most, I'd definitely say DKCR was better than any other DK game made since Rare left, even with the tikis. Personally I have confidence Retro can bring a new breath of life into most Nintendo series, even Zelda.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Just to Clarrify whats you PeePz'z view on Prime2? Because at first i hated hmmm not hated i would say more disliked..mostly because of the ammo thing and no Ridley just like Double dash actually hated it at first...

But played through Prime 1 & 2 again on Wii few months ago on Veteran and damnnn Prime 2 is sickkk at the end
I was actually having a hard time deciding if Prime 2 was better!

Mostly i like it because of the difficulty really good game the music ahh Hydrodynamo station omg i always listen to that on my phone full blast when im high seriously takes me into another zone! As magical as Phendrana drifts music.

But Quadraxis? CRAZYYY boss battle and Samus's first encounter with Dark Samus? The showdown staredown!The creepy phazon particles and creppy messed up music comes on when you know shes/it is near!

But hmm i would probly say Prime 1 is still better but not by alot..being original and al and how awsome Chozo Ghost music is.

I say it goes like

Prime1>Prime2>>>>>Prime3

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Well, Retro's big breakthrough was the first Prime. I really don't know what other kind of game people would really want Retro to make other than Metroid.
Star Fox?

Other M left such a terrible taste in some peoples' mouths a lot of them have now overlooked almost all the flaws from the Prime games they might've once complained about. :smirk::rolleyes:
Perhaps, or those who didn't like both games just felt that Other M was so bad that it made Prime 3 look good. Either way Prime 3's pretty criticized, even though it's not on Other M levels, and I knew some would bring up Other M after what I said.

Plus people always want moar and moar. They're insatiable and impossible to please. I can understand why they want more Prime though, I'd say a Prime 4 would still turn out better than other studio's attempts at a 3D Metroid.
Probably, though with how tired most became of the whole Phazon thing after Prime 3, I question how well a Prime 4 would actually do (Retro said in an interview or something one time that if the Prime Trilogy on Wii had sold well enough, they would bring back Dark Samus/Phazon and continue the storyline of where they left off).

I agree though that they should return to the 2Ds first and foremost (or a Metroid 3D sidescroller, a la DKCR as Wariofan suggested), and am guessing that their new game will be a Star Fox as well, which I feel the same way about after this past gen.

While I obviously like the Rare-made DK games the most, I'd definitely say DKCR was better than any other DK game made since Rare left, even with the tikis. Personally I have confidence Retro can bring a new breath of life into most Nintendo series, even Zelda.
Fair enough, and with any luck, if Retro's still involved with DK in the future, perhaps they'll realize that bringing back the Kremlings would be essential for another big-seller DK title. I mean they didn't exclude Metroid's classic enemies the Space Pirates in the Prime games, so yeah.

Zelda I don't think needs Retro's help though. It does well enough as it is, being one of Nintendo's top prioritized series and all.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Plus people always want moar and moar. They're insatiable and impossible to please. I can understand why they want more Prime though, I'd say a Prime 4 would still turn out better than other studio's attempts at a 3D Metroid. Personally I'd rather have a return to the 2Ds (on 3DS preferably), it's been much too long since we got one.

In any case, I also doubt Retro's game is Metroid. My guess is Starfox. I'd be content with either, but I kinda miss SF.;)
I personally really don't want another first person Metroid game, I think Prime 1 was excellent as I stated earlier, but Metroid is and should always first and foremost be a sidescroller imo, it's like making Mega Man a first person shooter, that wouldn't be that cool either. 2D would be most prefered, but nearly nothing is 2D anymore, it kind of died with the announcement of Pokémon X & Y sadly. Zero Mission was 8 years ago now, 8 years since we've had a traditional Metroid game, that's the same wait that there was between Super Metroid and Metroid Prime/Fusion. Now would be an excellent time to bring Metroid back to its roots, even more so considering everyone else is bringing their franchises back to the roots. I would prefer it to be on console, but 3DS would work too, and itwould just give me even more of a reason to get it other than the upcoming Smash Bros and Pokémon games.

And yeah, I was probably a little too confident in it. Given the success Retro has had with reviving Donkey Kong Country it isn't too far fetched to believe that they've been sent on duty to revive Star Fox too. In all honesty, even if I've never been a Star Fox fan, it'd probably be for the better if it is a Star Fox game, for the sheer fact that the franchise has been on hiatus since forever now.

Just to Clarrify whats you PeePz'z view on Prime2? Because at first i hated hmmm not hated i would say more disliked..mostly because of the ammo thing and no Ridley just like Double dash actually hated it at first...

But played through Prime 1 & 2 again on Wii few months ago on Veteran and damnnn Prime 2 is sickkk at the end
I was actually having a hard time deciding if Prime 2 was better!

Mostly i like it because of the difficulty really good game the music ahh Hydrodynamo station omg i always listen to that on my phone full blast when im high seriously takes me into another zone! As magical as Phendrana drifts music.

But Quadraxis? CRAZYYY boss battle and Samus's first encounter with Dark Samus? The showdown staredown!The creepy phazon particles and creppy messed up music comes on when you know shes/it is near!

But hmm i would probly say Prime 1 is still better but not by alot..being original and al and how awsome Chozo Ghost music is.

I say it goes like

Prime1>Prime2>>>>>Prime3
Prime 2 to me had a really cool theme with the light and dark world. However, I don't think a reoccuring main villain like Dark Samus fits in a Metroid game, which I by the way didn't fancy too much in Fusion either. The whole "fighting a dark version of yourself" has been done to death, especially in Nintendo games too, so it didn't really add anything special to me. The ammo thing was pretty annoying indeed. The game had its strong and weak points, its strongest points probably being the incredible boss battles, Quadraxis being the big standout. It's still miles behind Prime 1 though, but a bit ahead of Prime 3, mostly because of all the annoying interactions with other characters in Prime 3 and the flying between planets.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Despite the whole evil doppelganger thing being done to death, Dark Samus was still a fan-favorite, being a more popular choice than even Ridley in some places pre-Brawl, and others didn't even mind if she were to be a complete clone or something. *rolls eyes* She was certainly likable in some regards though.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Perhaps, or those who didn't like both games just felt that Other M was so bad that it made Prime 3 look good. Either way Prime 3's pretty criticized, even though it's not on Other M levels, and I knew some would bring up Other M after what I said.

Probably, though with how tired most became of the whole Phazon thing after Prime 3, I question how well a Prime 4 would actually do (Retro said in an interview or something one time that if the Prime Trilogy on Wii had sold well enough, they would bring back Dark Samus/Phazon and continue the storyline of where they left off).

I agree though that they should return to the 2Ds first and foremost (or a Metroid 3D sidescroller, a la DKCR as Wariofan suggested), and am guessing that their new game will be a Star Fox as well, which I feel the same way about after this past gen.
All true, but the Metroid Prime name and sub-series still has enough fans that if Retro's project does turn out to be Prime 4, "a game that everyone wants us to make" would still probably apply. It's not like if they turned out to be working of Wave Race or StarTropics or something, which really... very few people want them to do over Metroid or Starfox. Even though I think it's between Metroid and Starfox, I'd say those two, plus Zelda, DK, and F-Zero would all count as "a game that everyone wants us to make".

And I'm guessing the Prime subtitle still has enough recognition to be more successful commercially than Other M. By now the subtitle itself is a distinctive brand with its own subset of fans.

Also surprising Retro said that about the Prime Trilogy, considering it had a pretty limited release to my knowledge. Hell, it's more expensive now than Xenoblade.

Fair enough, and with any luck, if Retro's still involved with DK in the future, perhaps they'll realize that bringing back the Kremlings would be essential for another big-seller DK title. I mean they didn't exclude Metroid's classic enemies the Space Pirates in the Prime games, so yeah.
Yeah, why the Kremling were excluded is still a puzzle, but really I think the best thing for future chances of them re-appearing is if K. Rool gets included in Smash.

Zelda I don't think needs Retro's help though. It does well enough as it is, being one of Nintendo's top prioritized series and all.
No, I agree, I was just speaking hypothetically. Miyamoto did say he wouldn't mind working with Retro on Zelda though...

I personally really don't want another first person Metroid game, I think Prime 1 was excellent as I stated earlier, but Metroid is and should always first and foremost be a sidescroller imo,
I wouldn't really be upset if we got another first-person Metroid, but I agree I'd much rather have another 2D Metroid.

it's like making Mega Man a first person shooter, that wouldn't be that cool either.
WELL WE'LL NEVER KNOW NOW, WILL WE CAPCOM?!

2D would be most prefered, but nearly nothing is 2D anymore, it kind of died with the announcement of Pokémon X & Y sadly.
I disagree. I suppose you mean sprite-based, which, in that case I agree, but since the success of NSMB and DKCR I can see Nintendo refocusing on 2D more and more. They already have with NSMB. :glare: Sprite-wise, yeah, if we got a Metroid side-scrolling now, it'd likely be 3D graphics with a 2D perspective, which is what I guess I meant.

I agree with the rest. ;)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
I love both Dark Samus & Ridley i wouldnt even mind if Dark Samus got in over Ridley BUTTT only if she was really different to Samus even i can make Dark Samus different i have had loads of cool movesets i used to think about for DS.

But i know for Sure Ridley wont be a clone of Samus ofc and the whole crazy feeling of actually playing as Ridley for the first time ever is why he is still My #1 most wanted Metroid Rep and why he needs to frigging be playable in this game!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I disagree. I suppose you mean sprite-based, which, in that case I agree, but since the success of NSMB and DKCR I can see Nintendo refocusing on 2D more and more. They already have with NSMB. :glare: Sprite-wise, yeah, if we got a Metroid side-scrolling now, it'd likely be 3D graphics with a 2D perspective, which is what I guess I meant.

I agree with the rest. ;)
Yeah, when I say 2D I usually mean sprites. I usually refer to games like DKRC, NSMB and Kirby: Return to Dreamland as 3D Sidescrollers, or 2.5D.

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Aint gonna lie though if the reveal trailer is something like

Little Mac
Palutuna
Krystal
Kirby (rep)/Takamaru/Layton

I would go MAHDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!:pikachu64::evil::evil:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm pretty much expecting Little Mac, possibly Palutena and K. Rool too. The last one could be Takamaru for the Retro fans, and we might get a 3rd party slapped on there too, which would hopefully be Mega Man.

I honestly wouldn't mind a reveal trailer introducing Little Mac, Palutena, Takamaru, K. Rool and Mega Man, mostly because I support K. Rool and Mega Man.

But hey, there's no telling how many characters we'll see. Might be 4, might be less, might even be more. Considering we'll get fewer newcomers I'm expecting 4 characters to appear, 5 at maximum.

One thing's for sure, if Ridley is announced in the reveal trailer, which my instincts tell me not to expect, then I can't be responsible for any of my actions for the next week or more.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Two more weeks until E3. Just two more weeks. It was at an E3 over 12 years ago that many people began their hope and efforts for the inclusion of Ridley in Smash Bros. 12 years later we are still fighting, yet our war could finally at long last come to an end. Ridley's appearance in the E3 2001 trailer hyped people about the possibility of Samus's nemesis becoming playable in Smash Bros. and even to this day it remains one of the most memorable moments to the Melee unveil.

I still can't believe we are only a mere two weeks away from Ridley possibly being confirmed. These two weeks are going to be the longest ones yet I bet.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Last week's avatar was a reference to Ridley's first appearance in Smash Bros.(where he flew in the background to the Planet Zebes stage) ;)

Dark Phazon

Smash Hero
Two more weeks until E3. Just two more weeks. It was at an E3 over 12 years ago that many people began their hope and efforts for the inclusion of Ridley in Smash Bros. 12 years later we are still fighting, yet our war could finally at long last come to an end. Ridley's appearance in the E3 2001 trailer hyped people about the possibility of Samus's nemesis becoming playable in Smash Bros. and even to this day it remains one of the most memorable moments to the Melee unveil.

I still can't believe we are only a mere two weeks away from Ridley possibly being confirmed. These two weeks are going to be the longest ones yet I bet.
I really appreciate your passion and support but you do know when ever you do this it only makes te wait harder right?

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
It's really fitting to call it MOM, since then you're also making fun of their ridiculous treatment of women- Samus with an abused housewife personality and all the not so subtle maternal imagery- the Bottle Ship, the Baby the Baby the Baby the Baby the Baby etc.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I like Other M....

Flaws and all.....

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
I just take offense to their aforementioned treatment of women. The gameplay is not nearly as good as the Prime Trilogy IMO, but not enough so that I'd hate it for it. I also found the settings bland and generic for a series that's all about discovering and exploring strange new places, but again, not so much that I'd take offense from it.
Other than the sexism, I'd say its a decent enough game that was unlucky enough to be part of a such a well known and spectacularly good series of games.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I just take offense to their aforementioned treatment of women. The gameplay is not nearly as good as the Prime Trilogy IMO, but not enough so that I'd hate it for it. I also found the settings bland and generic for a series that's all about discovering and exploring strange new places, but again, not so much that I'd take offense from it.
Other than the sexism, I'd say its a decent enough game that was unlucky enough to be part of a such a well known and spectacularly good series of games.
I never really got all of the sexism allegations.

I mean... if a man was put in Samus' role, no one would be complaining. From what I remember, Samus, does everything out of respect for her former superior officer. What's sexist about that?

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
I never really got all of the sexism allegations.

I mean... if a man was put in Samus' role, no one would be complaining. From what I remember, Samus, does everything out of respect for her former superior officer. What's sexist about that?
I think it was the high heels.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Well , I'd say the whole Mom thing was bad, but that's not all. She is shown to be far less stable in this game than previous and has to be saved by the big strong man. All the men appear to be strong and dependable, and her not so much. I probably can't explain it very well, but you could take a look at this link here.
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/how-is-metroid-other-m-sexist.208025385/

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think it was the high heels.
Then Bayonetta, Peach and Zelda must be sexist as well. :awesome:

Thing I think that bugged most people was that we actually saw a bit of Samus' personality. Before Other M, everyone thought she was a silent badass with no weaknesses. After Other M, people saw that Samus had some character flaws and insecurities (which makes her HUMAN). She is still quite the badass though, look at what she does in the gameplay. HOLY BACKFLIPS BATMAN!!!

It's like meeting a radio announcedrfor the first time. Before you meet him, you have this idea of what he's like in your head. Turns out, he's not like that at all. It's not that Samus' personality was changed. It was simply shown to everyone, and it didn't meet our expectations.

Well , I'd say the whole Mom thing was bad, but that's not all. She is shown to be far less stable in this game than previous and has to be saved by the big strong man. All the men appear to be strong and dependable, and her not so much. I probably can't explain it very well, but you could take a look at this link here.
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/how-is-metroid-other-m-sexist.208025385/
Mom thing wasn't that bad. We forgot about it after the first ten minutes.

Okay... She's saved by Adam and Anthony. Her friend and her former superior officer.
She is saved by no one else in the story. I think relying on a FRIEND and YOUR BOSS is perfectly okay from time to time.

All the other men in the story are shown to be somewhat incompetent or villainous. Not all of the men are given good stigmas in that game.

And there are people refuting your claim in that link. Both sides make good points.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I just googled "sexism other m" since I couldn't remember where I saw the places that stated it very well.
And while it makes sense for most to rely on others , it doesn't make much sense for Samus, who always is a loner. And it's very strange that such a controlling and jerky man is able to have a hold on her, and strange that their relationship is painted in such a positive light.
I'm probably going to get torn apart here, though, since my memories of Other M are...hazy at best, and since I have a rather political family I respond towards this sort of thing very strongly.

_R@bid_

Smash Journeyman
His wings should be slightly damaged just so he has a feral ,dangerous look, but not enough that it looks like he just got his ass whooped.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I like Other M....

Flaws and all.....
This is all I have to say on the matter.

To each their own, but having read the manga, being a really big lore nerd (particularly with the tie-in to Metroid II, III and IV (Super and Fusion)), and having never really seen Samus as the role-model/the wo-manly strong independent black woman character everyone else believes she is, I really enjoyed it.

Off the record, I've always seen her for what she really is, not for what people assume: the strong silent type with as messed-up a past as it gets nowadays. When you're playing the games you rarely see what she's feeling, thinking, or even doing with her face under the suit, aside from a few cut-scenes/monologues in the beginning. She could be the most stereo-typical girly (join the club, at that) under there, she still gets **** done and blows up planets along the way. That's what I love about her.

Now since I realize this isn't really the place to be discussing anything,
I'll just sum up with this. Ridley's died a few dozen times, so yeah his wings should probably be rough around the edges.

ChozoBoy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I just googled "sexism other m" since I couldn't remember where I saw the places that stated it very well.And while it makes sense for most to rely on others , it doesn't make much sense for Samus, who always is a loner. And it's very strange that such a controlling and jerky man is able to have a hold on her, and strange that their relationship is painted in such a positive light.I'm probably going to get torn apart here, though, since my memories of Other M are...hazy at best, and since I have a rather political family I respond towards this sort of thing very strongly.
Adam didn't have a "hold on her," Samus was trying to repair their relationship after her poor social skills undid it when his brother died. She compares him to her father, so he's not just her ex-boss. If you rewatch the scenes with her and the full team, even in her distressed state in the game, she's clearly the most capable, possibly barring Anthony Higgs' single-shot Plasma Cannon.

Ridley's wing skin is always undamaged, I think, except in Other M. That's a possible design choice to incoporate, if they put destructable parts in like Brawl intended to.

Starcutter

Resident Beedrill
NNID
Legendofrob1
3DS FC
1908-0357-9077
if paper can be made of wood, and geno IS wood, then maybe geno IS paper mario.

EDIT: i think I posted in the wrong thread :facepalm:

Top Bottom