• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404

Greninja's voice is completely different from its voice in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. I am posting this because we were talking about Ridley's voice in Smash earlier today, so we shouldn't expect him to have the same voice he has in Metroid games. I know this is nothing new, after all Bowser has a different voice in Smash too, but Greninja is a newcomer, like Ridley... possibly is.
That is based on the anime though. Ash's Froakie has the same voice, and whenever Greninja appears (I don't think one has appeared in the show yet to my knowledge) I'm pretty sure it'll end up that way.

Ridley on the other hand never spoke outside the manga, so besides his personality we've never heard what he would sound like.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
In regards to Ridley's voice acting, I think personally I'd prefer to keep it safe and have him not talk rather than give voice actors a shot. I mean, big space dragon? Whatever voice he would get definitely ain't gonna appeal to everyone, so it'd just divide his fans even further with some thinking his voice butchers him and some thinking it's badass.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
That is based on the anime though. Ash's Froakie has the same voice, and whenever Greninja appears (I don't think one has appeared in the show yet to my knowledge) I'm pretty sure it'll end up that way.

Ridley on the other hand never spoke outside the manga, so besides his personality we've never heard what he would sound like.
Greninja say its name in the anime, Gekkouga/Greninja (or better, it will say its name in the anime). It doesn't seem to do that in the video I posted.

D

Deleted member

Greninja's voice is completely different from its voice in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y.
It's "voice" in X/Y is just bits and pieces of its cry like every non-Pikachu Pokémon in the game.

The voice in Smash will very likely be it's dubbed anime voice once it actually makes an appearance.

EDIT: Yeah, it's saying it's name at points. I'm hearing "NINJA! NINJA!" on some repeated attacks.

Last edited by a moderator:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Greninja say its name in the anime, Gekkouga/Greninja (or better, it will say its name in the anime). It doesn't seem to do that in the video I posted.

It did seem to say "ninja" at the very beginning, though that may just be me.

Reila

It did seem to say "ninja" at the very beginning, though that may just be me.
Ridley? I mean, really? I should re-watch it, then. Either way, the voice is weird and unfitting for the character (imo).

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Unless we get a roster dump on us in the final months, I think it's safe to assume all the characters revealed so far will be starters except for the third parties. The game's revealed amount is still inline with the previous games' general starter-unlockable ratio and general expansion pattern, with room for 1-3 more pre-release reveals. Plus of the veterans left to be revealed, only four have never been unlockable in prior games (Wario, Ice Climbers, Meta Knight, and Lucas), all four of which are viable candidates to be unlockable this time (and one of which is implicated in the Gematsu leak to get cut).

leprechaunlink727

Smash Ace
I hate to rain on everybody's parade, I mean I personally still think Ridley is going to be in the game, but everybody keeps talking about "2 new Metroid games in development" when the comments that supposedly "confirmed" this were pretty unambiguous about the fact that at the moment, Metroid is not in active development:

Stephen Totilo, Kotaku: I can't ask you what's going on with Pikmin, because you've answered that for the last couple of years in a row. I can't ask you what's going on with Star Fox, because you answered that this year. So... what is going on with Metroid?

[everyone laughs]

Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo: The original creators of Metroid and the director who was the director of the Metroid Prime games who worked under me when I was producing those both now work for Mr. Takahashi, so you'll have to ask him.

Shinya Takahashi, Nintendo: So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them.
Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-planning-a-future-for-both-2d-and-3d-metroi-1590142491

I really don't think they were being coy here. All this means is that the series isn't dead, and that Miyamoto and Takahashi have some ideas that are still in the "discussions" phase. Nothing is actually in development, and there's certainly nothing that's going to be unveiled in an August direct. It's the same thing as when the Intelligent Systems guy said "We are always thinking about the next Advance Wars and Fire Emblem games" which is actually a total non-answer, and everybody was like "OMG NEW ADVANCE WARS AND FIRE EMBLEM!" It's just the gaming media jumping the gun as usual because they're desperate for scoops. If you actually look at the comments that were made instead of just reading the headlines, it's clear that there's nothing beyond a concept at the very most, and when they talk about the two "styles" of Metroid game, they could just as easily be proposing another hybrid like Other M rather than two separate games. In fact, later on in the interview, Miyamoto says he actually prefers just the Prime series as a way forward because he thinks there's a lot more that can be done with it. Can we expect a new Metroid in the next 3-5 years? Yes, absolutely! We were expecting one anyways! Metroid is a big series for Nintendo and will not be going the way of F-Zero anytime soon. Are there currently two separate Metroid games in active development that will be shown off in the coming months? No, not at all. All of the studios and personnel that would be involved with a new Metroid game currently have their hands full with other projects, and we already got one far more overdue franchise revival announced, so stop being greedy!

That said, this does nothing to affect Ridley's chances. I personally think he's a secret character and won't be announced until launch.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I hate to rain on everybody's parade, I mean I personally still think Ridley is going to be in the game, but everybody keeps talking about "2 new Metroid games in development" when the comments that supposedly "confirmed" this were pretty unambiguous about the fact that at the moment, Metroid is not in active development:

Stephen Totilo, Kotaku: I can't ask you what's going on with Pikmin, because you've answered that for the last couple of years in a row. I can't ask you what's going on with Star Fox, because you answered that this year. So... what is going on with Metroid?

[everyone laughs]

Shigeru Miyamoto, Nintendo: The original creators of Metroid and the director who was the director of the Metroid Prime games who worked under me when I was producing those both now work for Mr. Takahashi, so you'll have to ask him.

Shinya Takahashi, Nintendo: So it has been a while since we released the last one and we're having discussions internally about what we can do next. So at this point we have two different types of Metroid games. We have the Prime style of Metroid game and we have the more traditional style of Metroid game. We feel that we do need to take care of both of these styles of play. And the hope is that at some point in the near future we'll be able to share something about them.
Source: http://kotaku.com/nintendo-is-planning-a-future-for-both-2d-and-3d-metroi-1590142491

I really don't think they were being coy here. All this means is that the series isn't dead, and that Miyamoto and Takahashi have some ideas that are still in the "discussions" phase. Nothing is actually in development, and there's certainly nothing that's going to be unveiled in an August direct. It's the same thing as when the Intelligent Systems guy said "We are always thinking about the next Advance Wars and Fire Emblem games" which is actually a total non-answer, and everybody was like "OMG NEW ADVANCE WARS AND FIRE EMBLEM!" It's just the gaming media jumping the gun as usual because they're desperate for scoops. If you actually look at the comments that were made instead of just reading the headlines, it's clear that there's nothing beyond a concept at the very most, and when they talk about the two "styles" of Metroid game, they could just as easily be proposing another hybrid like Other M rather than two separate games. In fact, later on in the interview, Miyamoto says he actually prefers just the Prime series as a way forward because he thinks there's a lot more that can be done with it. Can we expect a new Metroid in the next 3-5 years? Yes, absolutely! We were expecting one anyways! Metroid is a big series for Nintendo and will not be going the way of F-Zero anytime soon. Are there currently two separate Metroid games in active development that will be shown off in the coming months? No, not at all. All of the studios and personnel that would be involved with a new Metroid game currently have their hands full with other projects, and we already got one far more overdue franchise revival announced, so stop being greedy!

That said, this does nothing to affect Ridley's chances. I personally think he's a secret character and won't be announced until launch.
Yeah, people keep saying this and its really quite annoying. The next Metroid game, if it is in development, is in very EARLY development. We aren't likely to see anything on it until TGS at least.

The King of Skulls

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4398-9294-7284
I don't know who Smaug is... O__o I never saw the Hobbit movie...
Smaug is basically a really cool dragon who happens to have an amazing voice. Come to think of it, I don't know a single Dragon that's not really cool.

Also, on the subject of voices, Ridley should just have a bunch of pterodactyl screeches or whatever he does in Brawl. Seemed pretty fitting if he wanted to rip your throat out and kill you. Also, Greninja's voice is really, really weird.

Reila

Smaug's voice is really amazing, but it doesn't fit Ridley (from what we know of him in the games).

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
Re-watch the 2001 Melee reveal at E3. The crowd goes nuts when Ridley appears on screen fighting Samus. It was the single loudest most enthusiastic reaction.

More evidence that Ridley is a truly loved character. Even since antiquity.

I'd like to add, Ridley was fairly small in comparison to recent iterations.

After viewing it again, I'm sure many thought Samurai Goroh, Ridley, and Star Wolf were playable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfQ75gr2znA

hotcrumpets

Smash Journeyman

[everyone laughs]

I agree, I think we are going to get a teaser for a new metroid game at next year's e3 though.

Reila

The interview doesn't really mean much imo, but I don't want to get into this subject xD

Do you guys think newcomers will have reveal trailers, even if they are hidden/unlockable characters not announced prior to release?

I am not sure, but I think when a new SSE was disconfirmed, they also was said every character would have a video... or something...

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
The interview doesn't really mean much imo, but I don't want to get into this subject xD

Do you guys think newcomers will have reveal trailers, even if they are hidden/unlockable characters not announced prior to release?

I am not sure, but I think when a new SSE was disconfirmed, they also was said every character would have a video... or something...
They said making those fully rendered videos for each character was too much, from what I remember. These little newcomer vids are that replacement.

I think (hope) that even the secret newcomers will get a bit of a video.

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice

Yeah they did.
And they said every video would be able to be seen in game without the need to unlock them, which means not revealing a newcomer would be almost pointless because you can go check out the videos first thing.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

Every newcomer will have their own reveal trailer, but it doesn't mean they'll be announced outside of the game. I believe the "newcomer introductions" will be available in-game. That's what I've heard, anyway. As such, any additional unknown newcomers will have their own character introduction videos. Considering Brawl, even secret ones may eventually be shown off outside the game itself, but only after the game releases.

Yeah they did.
And they said every video would be able to be seen in game without the need to unlock them, which means not revealing a newcomer would be almost pointless because you can go check out the videos first thing.
Ah... that's kinda weird. Hmm.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
I think just before you unlock a character their trailer will play and then you'll have to fight them.

Reila

I see. That is good to hear. Ridley deserves his newcomer video, even if he isn't revealed prior to release.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Hm. It's probably the fact that Ridley has never been seen doing any actual commanding of Space Pirates outside manga prequels. I wouldn't be surprised if Ridley was actually working for Science Team.

Though there's a question: For Smash Run Space Pirates, do you prefer Zebesians, or Prime?
Depends on which of the three Prime games you're talking about far as which Pirates I prefer (design-wise), though regardless it'd make more sense for Zebesians to appear in Smash Run. The cybernetically enhanced ones are pretty cool looking at least.

I'd like Prime, but knowing Sakurai's obvious bias towards the 2-D games (not that I have anything against that), I would expect him to use the Super Metroid design. Or the Other M version.

But in the off chance that he does use the Prime Space Pirates, I'd like to see the Dark Pirate Commandos make an appearance.
In that case, may as well have Chozo Ghosts too. :troll:

I'm already over the anguish of not seeing my most wanted newcomers get in. I realize that Sakurai's intent this whole time was to give proper representation to newer, upcoming franchises that either have a promising future ahead of them (Xenoblade, Animal Crossing, Rhythm Heaven), or have experienced a recent revival (Fire Emblem, Kid Icarus, Punch-Out).

Which unfortunately means that Ridley and K. Rool could get shut out of this game. But hey, maybe next Smash will focus more on the villains.
Females and other things tend to be > villains in terms of priority. If Sakurai's at the helm of the next Smash I don't expect that to really change.

I've had another realization as to why the hype 3 (Ridley, K. Rool, Mewtwo) are as such. There's already the villain side of things which have been discussed, but there is another factor.

None of them are humans. If you look at any given roster (such as Majora's examples above), the overriding majority of selections are human/humanoid entities. The hype 3 however contains a king croc, a weird psychic alien-like creature, and a freaking Space Pirate dragon. Sure there's half a dozen sword wielders, some magic users, and a couple straight up oddballs, but there's barely any awesome monstrous characters (that are villains to boot) to go around. That's where the hype 3 come in to fill that void.
Being human/homosapien is incredibly cliched & overrated and sooo last 21st centuries anyway, so yeah.

Last edited:

Epsilon52

Smash Champion
As much as I love Ridley, if he wasn't included but Mewtwo or K.Rool were in, I'd be okay. Any of these 3 being included would prove that Sakurai hears the American fans.

Its only a matter of time until we open up Smash 4 to texture swapping.

As soon as the game drops, I'll be working on memory dumps.

TitanTeaTime

Smash Lord
NNID
TitanTeaTime
3DS FC
2165-6601-4781
As much as I love Ridley, if he wasn't included but Mewtwo or K.Rool were in, I'd be okay. Any of these 3 being included would prove that Sakurai hears the American fans.

Not just the American fans, but remember that K. Rool is also heavily requested in Japan. Basically just inflating the awesome if he got in.
(Also I happen to live in Europe, so I guess us here also want those 3)

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
When Roidley ends up playable, no. No, he will never learn. His hatred will only grow. :troll:

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

K. Rool and Mewtwo are both loved worldwide. Ridley is mostly western, along with Little Mac.

D

Deleted member

You lack faith.

Ridley board, show him what we do to those that doubt Big Ridley.
...Ignore them....? That's what I do with almost all of our detractors or non-believers. :ohwell:

majora_787

Smash Hero
...Ignore them....? That's what I do with almost all of our detractors or non-believers. :ohwell:
Or we give them potatoes and ask them if what they really expect is a Bowser-sized boss. If they say yes, then we keep giving them potatoes. If they don't change their answer, then I guess they drown in potatoes and we can get some gravy and have a nice dinner. /Half joking

D

Deleted member

Or we give them potatoes and ask them if what they really expect is a Bowser-sized boss. If they say yes, then we keep giving them potatoes. If they don't change their answer, then I guess they drown in potatoes and we can get some gravy and have a nice dinner. /Half joking
Do we eat their bodies too, or do we just feed them to the Ridley Crocodiles? :awesome:

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Not just the American fans, but remember that K. Rool is also heavily requested in Japan. Basically just inflating the awesome if he got in.
(Also I happen to live in Europe, so I guess us here also want those 3)
Ridley has fans over in Japan, but it's nowhere near Mewtwo or Mega Man levels. He is a very popular request in Europe, from what I've seen.

This was from the Japanese Miiverse, before the April Direct. 'Tis a shame that Dark Samus won't be playable.:ohwell:

Last edited:
Top Bottom