• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important The Ridley for SSB4 Thread - End of an Era

Wazygoose

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AppleJackSix
Ew you mean like Little Birdie?
Or an Actual Baby RIdley?
Either way no thank you.

It would be weird to have two dragons, Two Dragons that would do entirely different things?
Because it isn't weird that we already have Two Plumbers? Two/Three Princesses? Two Links? Two Samuses?
And yet it's perfectly okay to have three blue-haired swordsmen in the same game? Ridley and Charizard are literally from completely different worlds in both character design and disposition.

I guess I don't see Ridley getting in the roster without some sort of compromise. Definitely not Little Birdie or wingless Ridley, I was just trying to think of a way he could be made smaller--if he IS playable, I think that would have to be addressed in his trailer somehow. Otherwise everyone would be all BUT WHY SO SMALL...

I see what you're saying about having 2 dragons, we also currently have 2 monkeys, and did have 2 psychic kids, 3 space dudes, and 2 puffy pink balls. I just hope we don't have 2 Icaruses with different colors. And we don't have 3 blue-haried swordsmen YET...

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Oh, it was at the end of January? Then it was more like from Japan's release up until a month after the US release. We're not going to get that here since JP and US release are a month apart.

EDIT: Are we still doing this? WHY do we have to justify character size for Ridley alone?

Last edited:

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
I think Ridley should talk in smash because many many people think he's only a brutal monster
if he talks then it shows he's intelligent
and if he says some Ridley's typical frases like "you're about to die" it shows his personality

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I would love to hear Ridley speak a monstrous-sounding alien language. Would show that he's intelligent, but also emphasize his alien origins.

Last edited:

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Smaug's VA for Ridley ?
"I am acid, I am...

BIG".

"Sakurai, what have we done ?"
Saddly he will speak with alien language, right ?

Last edited:

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
I think Ridley doesn't need to talk to show he's intelligent. With his own actions is enough to know he's cunning and intelligent.

again, that's just me.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I actually like spoilers, so I am glad the Japanese version will be released one month prior to the NA version. xD

Lolo Lolo

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1693-1660-3630
Switch FC
SW 0891 5407 0511
anyway I got all the Ridley's gifs/pictures I needed to do that little Ridley-surprise
I think you all will love that ... especially if you love apps :chuckle:
but I can't post it now so you have to wait

GraveEclipse567

Smash Apprentice
I think Ridley should be voiced by Charlie Day and fly around yelling "SPACESHIP!"
It would emphasis the fact he's from space.

Morbi

Scavenger
I actually like spoilers, so I am glad the Japanese version will be released one month prior to the NA version. xD
I also enjoy spoilers to a significant extent, but only if the spoilers come out before the release. Therefore, I am probably just going to get the Japanese version of the game and find out Ridley's fate myself.

D

Deleted member

Uh clearly Morgan Freeman would be the greatest VA choice for Ridley.

Don't think he can say intimidating things? Watch this:
Or This:
Yes I know this isn't actually Morgan Freeman but GassyMexican does a really good impression IMO.

Reila

I also enjoy spoilers to a significant extent, but only if the spoilers come out before the release. Therefore, I am probably just going to get the Japanese version of the game and find out Ridley's fate myself.
I don't see much difference. I want spoilers because I like to know what is in the game before spending a lot of money on it. I am just cheap like that. xD

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I don't see much difference. I want spoilers because I like to know what is in the game before spending a lot of money on it. I am just cheap like that. xD
Agreed. The fun is unlocking everything. Spoilers only matter to me when it comes to story, but for games that have no story, it doesn't matter at all to me.

majora_787

Smash Hero
Honestly, I don't care about spoilers. After Brawl it became apparent there is no way I could ever hope to avoid spoilers for any period of time. I was only planning to avoid spoilers with an international release. Not anymore.

Yes. September 13th.

Morbi

Scavenger
There is a difference, in one; spoilers are desirable because no one else owns the product or no one else has experienced something whereas in the other, everyone has the capacity to (therefore they are not even spoilers in my book). So in the case of Smash, it is not even really a spoiler. If that makes sense. I am weird, do not judge me.

Reila

There is a difference, in one; spoilers are desirable because no one else owns the product or no one else has experienced something whereas in the other, everyone has the capacity to (therefore they are not even spoilers in my book). So in the case of Smash, it is not even really a spoiler. If that makes sense. I am weird, do not judge me.
I judge you!

I understand your point of view, but that is not why I desire spoilers. As I stated in my previous post, I just want to know the content of the game before buying it.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
What characters were not announced in brawl before it was released? I still think ridley will be announced in the next direct as the final Newcomer to be announced and with a trailer including a veteran or two.
I feel meta knight, wolf, captain falcon, and some others will be left unannounced until after release.

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Well in a game like Smash, where the gameplay is more important, spoilers of characters don't really bother me, since that is not the main reason i buy the game, i also like seeing reactions of other people when characters are confirmed :awesome:
If it was a story heavy game however, then spoilers would bother me, that's why i haven't really made much research in a game like Xenoblade Chronicles, wich i plan to play eventually.

Reila

I think the characters are as important as the gameplay in a fighting game.

*runs*

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
There's likely a Direct coming next month, or month after revealing some projects that we pretty much know are in the works (2 Metroid games, Dragon Quest, Fatal Frame etc.), and Smash is clearly the type of game that'll get it's own pre-launch Direct which will no doubt contain a newcomer or two (and probably any remaining veterans).

At this stage I think they'll only be showing hype and wide ranging newcomers, and leaving the Takamarus and Marhsals as secrets; so Ridley, K.Rool, Mewtwo, Shulk, other Pokémans, Bowser Jr. and the like are the likely ones to be shown at this stage... Oh, and Slime! :p

Last edited:

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
What characters were not announced in brawl before it was released? I still think ridley will be announced in the next direct as the final Newcomer to be announced and with a trailer including a veteran or two.
I feel meta knight, wolf, captain falcon, and some others will be left unannounced until after release.
All unlockables minus the third parties (Luigi, Ganon, Falco, Captain Falcon, Jigglypuff, Marth, Ness, Mr. Game & Watch, Toon Link, R.O.B., Wolf, and Lucario).

Judging by the amount of characters revealed so far and the veterans left to reveal, it seems this will be holding true again, unless they decide to drop the entire roster on us in the last direct or something.

And I highly doubt that if he's in, Ridley would be revealed instead of one of the Gematsu leak in the August direct, for the thing I pointed out earlier where the newcomers revealed and implicated by Sal so far seem to be for promotional purposes (unless that is, a new Metroid game actually gets announced in the August direct).

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
Feb 1, 2008 - Ness
Feb 7, 2008 - Marth
Feb 15, 2008 - Luigi
Feb 20, 2008 - Falco
Feb 22, 2008 - Captain Falcon
Feb 28, 2008 - Lucario
Mar 6, 2008 - R.O.B.
Mar 10, 2008 - Mr. Game & Watch
Mar 18, 2008 - Ganondorf
Mar 25, 2008 - Jigglypuff
Mar 28, 2008 - Toon Link
Mar 31, 2008 - Wolf

EDIT: Greninja'd. But yes. That's all of hie hidden characters, the last ones to be shown on the website EXCEPT for 3rd parties.

Last edited:

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
I think Ridley doesn't need to talk to show he's intelligent. With his own actions is enough to know he's cunning and intelligent.

again, that's just me.
I'm kinda in the same boat here. The manga aside, Ridley would seem more fitting for subtle expressions, like a devious sideways smirk when he wins or death glares when hit. Maybe some sort of screeching laugh for a victory pose/taunt, but otherwise Ridley is a cold and calculated killer, one that prefers to make you suffer without making a big hammy speech beforehand. So I think subtle expressions hidden among his usual behavior would get the message across that while he is a menacing creature, Ridley isn't mindless.

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Huh. I just noticed Pac-Man's the only newcomer since last year's E3 to have a page that doesn't promote a game of his.

So Ridley's day may not need to coincide with a Metroid title.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Huh. I just noticed Pac-Man's the only newcomer since last year's E3 to have a page that doesn't promote a game of his.

So Ridley's day may not need to coincide with a Metroid title.
Yes, we're probably not gonna get Ridley and other fan-favorite characters who have nothing to promote until release, while the more recent characters with stuff to promote are trotted out before release to market their games.

Reila

Greninja's voice is completely different from its voice in Pokémon X and Pokémon Y. I am posting this because we were talking about Ridley's voice in Smash earlier today, so we shouldn't expect him to have the same voice he has in Metroid games. I know this is nothing new, after all Bowser has a different voice in Smash too, but Greninja is a newcomer, like Ridley... possibly is.

Phaazoid

Basket
NNID
Mr.Grike
3DS FC
4854-6444-0859
Just got back from the demo guys

I went into the bathroom beforehand, turned out all the lights and said "Justin Bailey" backwards in the mirror 3 times, but when I went and played the game Ridley wasn't there. What a waste of 50$. I should've known that gypsy was lying.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
I imagine Ridley, along with all newcomer unlockables, being teased at the next Direct on whatever newcomer's trailer (Shulk, maybe?).

So the newcomer has his/her cinematic intro, the [character][bad pun that translates as "joins the battle"] text appear, gameplay footage, the character in question has a conversation with someone else while it happens; suddenly, the person the newcomer is talking to says something along the lines of "But be careful! There are more even more challengers that await you!".

Cue a black screen with several glowing eyes opening. Between them, there are some slim, yellow, menacing eyes... and then the newcomer says a something like "Don't worry! I'll take on every single one of them" and then the game's title appears.

So yeah.

Trigger123

Smash Journeyman
Feb 1, 2008 - Ness
Feb 7, 2008 - Marth
Feb 15, 2008 - Luigi
Feb 20, 2008 - Falco
Feb 22, 2008 - Captain Falcon
Feb 28, 2008 - Lucario
Mar 6, 2008 - R.O.B.
Mar 10, 2008 - Mr. Game & Watch
Mar 18, 2008 - Ganondorf
Mar 25, 2008 - Jigglypuff
Mar 28, 2008 - Toon Link
Mar 31, 2008 - Wolf

EDIT: Greninja'd. But yes. That's all of hie hidden characters, the last ones to be shown on the website EXCEPT for 3rd parties.
I highly doubt all the newcomers released will be starters, especially the third party newcomers but I also do not see Palutena or Rosalina being a starter. Maybe little mac though.
On a side not if ridley is in I expect him to be the last and hardest character to unlock, which I am kind of hoping for.

Nietona

Smash Journeyman
Been following this thread for a while on Guest, decided to sign up so I could say things, blah blah blah.

I support Ridley, and seriously hope he's in, but don't really expect to see him as anything but a hidden character if he HAS made it in. Still, may as well keep at least a bit of hope up for Metroid month, right?

majora_787

Smash Hero
I highly doubt all the newcomers released will be starters, especially the third party newcomers but I also do not see Palutena or Rosalina being a starter. Maybe little mac though.
On a side not if ridley is in I expect him to be the last and hardest character to unlock, which I am kind of hoping for.
The only newcomers we have now safely assumable to be unlockable are Mega Man and Pac-Man. Palutena *may* be unlockable with the other Kid Icarus character, but Rosalina we already know to be a starter. Along with Little Mac, Villager, and Wii Fit Trainer who all show up on the front cover of the game's box art.

Top Bottom